BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

24 minutes ago, JHRover said:

No, I don't believe we'll have 10 million to spend and don't believe we'll get 3 million for Raya. 

If we did it would be:

Up to 2 million for a new GK, up to 3 million for a new CB, then the remaining 8 million divided between a new CF and a CM. 

Ain't going to happen though.

Based on what? Mowbray and waggot said we have the same budget as last summer. 

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Tosh in my opinion, a monkey could’ve got us up from that league the year we were in it with the squad we had , quality was amazingly poor. They would probably have won the title too

You clearly don't watch much football. Many clubs with "good squads" got stuck down there. Sunderland case in point last season. They should have went all out to appoint that monkey last summer. Genius. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

They also made guarantees and promises of improving the defence and making signings which would go straight in to improve it. They have quickly backtracked on this since they were summoned to Venky HQ.

• Like 2

You clearly don't watch much football. Many clubs with "good squads" got stuck down there. Sunderland case in point last season. They should have went all out to appoint that monkey last summer. Genius. 

Sunderland were playing in a different league from the one we had, they should also have went up easily, I wouldn’t want their manager either. Giving kudos for mowbray getting us out a poor league one is one of the reasons we are in the position that we are. Your comment about watching football is petty and irrelevant, debate like a sensible adult not a child mate 

43 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I have read the figure for Gallagher is 3 million, so if we get around that for Raya, it would have to be classed as a pretty good deal  

Really?

Think Gallagher has 'peaked'.  IMO, he's stalled and is now regressing.

Goalkeepers are like fine reds, mature with age.  Like quite a few on here, convinced that with an experienced goalkeeping coach who's seen it, done it and got the t-shirt, Raya would improve immensely.  Benson, the 'boy' from Carlisle Community Dep who seemingly has not played pro football, is, IMO, so far out of his depth it's scandalous.

• Like 2

Did they? I remember someone saying that they had authority to reallocate funds between wages and transfer fees. 

Last summer they stumped up quite a bit for fees but with the possible exception of Armstrong I don't think the wages were much to commit to. 

So this time round if we want better players who will of course expect more money then the inference is that it can be done but at the expense of transfer fees.

Hey presto Stewart Downing on a free.

I still stick by my belief that the Brereton money wasnt there all summer and only materialised in the latter stages of the summer window hence Mowbray panicking.

• Backroom
Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

So the latest names are Gallagher and Charlie Adam. The ‘revamped scouting team’ are really earning their corn thus far this window.

Our scouting seems to be the equivilent of going into your transfer history on football manager and cycling back through seasons to see if any previous loans or sold players are now available. 

Just now, DE. said:

Our scouting seems to be the equivilent of going into your transfer history on football manager and cycling back through seasons to see if any previous loans or sold players are now available. 

Chaddy would be a far cheaper option and to be brutally honest, I think he'd show a lot more imagination, and perhaps even more judgement, than that lot masquerading as experts at Ewood.   

In all seriousness, I think the football side at Ewood is severely under-managed.  Even factoring in the fact our scouting system was dissipated, I think Mowbray's lack of drive, imagination and nous to work the market is alarming; you would think any manager worth his salt and who has been around for so long would have many contacts in the game - if Mowbray has, he certainly doesn't seem to use them.  

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

I would be quite open minded to the signing of Charlie Adam, perhaps before we signed Stewart Downing.

He obviously has a very good passing range, can dictate the play and would be a good player for Travis and Davenport to play with and learn from. He has never been fast.

I was quite surprised to see that Stoke fans had anything good to say about him, they seem to think hes best sitting with someone athletic next to him( (Travis), obviously his passing ability is good (fits Mowbrays new style) and that he has some bottle and some character which we also lack, indeed it seems that often spills over to ill-discipline.

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/286111/charlie-adam

It would be unimaginative and further proof that Mowbrays comments about this expanded scouting network were mainly hot air, and like I said I am much more against the idea now Downing is sadly here, but I think we could do worse on a limited budget, and it would allow funds to be saved for defence if there are any.

The Rovers scouting "system" seems to be the football equivalent of the Oxbridge Old Boys network.

If you've played for us in the past or have connections with any of Mowbray's former clubs, you're in.

Jezza would sort it

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I would be quite open minded to the signing of Charlie Adam, perhaps before we signed Stewart Downing.

He obviously has a very good passing range, can dictate the play and would be a good player for Travis and Davenport to play with and learn from. He has never been fast.

I was quite surprised to see that Stoke fans had anything good to say about him, they seem to think hes best sitting with someone athletic next to him( (Travis), obviously his passing ability is good (fits Mowbrays new style) and that he has some bottle and some character which we also lack, indeed it seems that often spills over to ill-discipline.

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/286111/charlie-adam

It would be unimaginative and further proof that Mowbrays comments about this expanded scouting network were mainly hot air, and like I said I am much more against the idea now Downing is sadly here, but I think we could do worse on a limited budget, and it would allow funds to be saved for defence if there are any.

I must ask though, he may have good passing ability but what would we use it for? Danny Graham to run in behind? Not going to happen. In my opinion we need a better engine in there, a leader and somebody who can chip in with a few goals, long range efforts and runs into the box. Celtic passed up on the boy David turnbull from Motherwell due to a knee knock that’s going to take 6 months to heal, but he could well be this years mcginn and has everything we need. I’d take a punt on him rather than Adam. Failing that iv always thought cattermole would get us ticking. Him and Travis could be usefull 

• Like 1

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

So the latest names are Gallagher and Charlie Adam. The ‘revamped scouting team’ are really earning their corn thus far this window.

I've been a football fan for over 65 years now - Rovers till I die - and one of the things I don't like about modern football is the 'rumour mill'. I couldn't care less about which players are supposed to be signing for clubs - specifically, coming to Ewood - until they've actually signed and begun training.

What I worry about is how the club buys into the rumour mill by making statements about revamping the scouting team, implying that we might soon be fielding players from the second divisions of larger European countries and top division players from some of the smaller nations. Like Gavlay, I ain't seen anything coming from that, so far.

So, a rhetorical question coming up: What sort of links do our recruitment team have with Premier League clubs? Especially those which have staff with a kind of Rovers link. 

This thought, which often recurs to me when I read the Manchster Evening News, was prompted by reading in last Friday's edition that Manchester City's third choice keeper - a 20-y-o 6' 6" Kosovan international  called Aro Music who played in 5 of City's Carabao Cup games last season - has been "offered on loan" now that Claudio Bravo is again fit enough to deputise for Ederson. According to the Evening News, "with Preston North End also keen, Nottingham Forest won the race" for him.

I realise he might not have been even a temporary solution if Raya is sold. And it's none of my business whether anybody at Ewood ever speaks to, for example, Jason Wilcox at City about up and coming players there whom we could borrow.

But surely it ought to be the business of somebody at Ewood.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I do just wonder and this is wishful /hopeful thinking. If we have the same to spend as last summer, roughly 10 million. Getting lets say 3 million for Raya would move that to 13 million.  That gives a nice bit of wriggle room.

6 million on a centre half, 3 million on a striker and 3 million on a new left back

Boom

:)

Eh...

?

eh

Are ye with me? 

And then you woke up.

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

I must ask though, he may have good passing ability but what would we use it for? Danny Graham to run in behind? Not going to happen. In my opinion we need a better engine in there, a leader and somebody who can chip in with a few goals, long range efforts and runs into the box. Celtic passed up on the boy David turnbull from Motherwell due to a knee knock that’s going to take 6 months to heal, but he could well be this years mcginn and has everything we need. I’d take a punt on him rather than Adam. Failing that iv always thought cattermole would get us ticking. Him and Travis could be usefull 

I'd maybe have a look at Turnbull even with the injury a move to Norwich fell through for him tho so think somethings up there. 

Cattermole is on about 50k a week at Sunderland is he not. 

Just now, Beanie01289 said:

I'd maybe have a look at Turnbull even with the injury a move to Norwich fell through for him tho so think somethings up there. 

Cattermole is on about 50k a week at Sunderland is he not. 

Didn't Turnball want to stay up north at this stage in his career and that's why he turned down Norwich to sign for Celtic?

• Moderation Lead

Completely ignoring the merits of his signing for a moment, let’s consider the below.

I might be wrong here, but when Fraser Forster has that solitary England appearance, I think Southampton gave him a juicy new contract. Worth about £70k a week....

Being honest, if that were you and Rovers came calling offering (let’s say) £20k a week, you’d probably hang about for a better offer, wouldn’t you? 

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Par for the course in the Venky era, a busted flush and one from a tame agent.  If you chuck in the one already signed from the gaffers black book you might well ask 'What' scouting system. 

• Backroom
39 minutes ago, BG1492 said:

Looks like the Adam rumours are true. Commented on Mulgrew’s Instagram video saying “the run this morning killed you”. Unless he’s his new PT ?

Surprising if he’s in Austria, presumed he was just training at Brockhall

edit - I see Mulgrew isn’t in Austria 

Edited by Tom