BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

31 minutes ago, tomphil said:

It was the best thing he ever did and i'm pretty sure he didn't walk away from a potential pay off. My guess is Shebby was about to spill the beans on him so he took what was on offer and the old option to resign and scarpered.

Kean hung on in the face o fierce abuse and threats just for the money and he would probably have left at any time for more money.

He seems to want out very quickly when Nick Harris publish an article that week his wife stop him from being sacm after ringing Mrs D. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I thought he resigned and took Rovers to an independent tribunal for constructive dismissal citing interference by Singh. Again my understanding is that Rovers settled out of court. Purely speculation on my part but the LMA would have supported him legally and financially in his case.

What a bleak period in our history. Another reason to thank our owners.

Maybe, sounds like the kind of stroke he'd pull.

33 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I thought he resigned and took Rovers to an independent tribunal for constructive dismissal citing interference by Singh. Again my understanding is that Rovers settled out of court. Purely speculation on my part but the LMA would have supported him legally and financially in his case.

What a bleak period in our history. Another reason to thank our owners.

That's my recollection too.  He got his payoff. Shit floats.

My gut feel is Mowbray is a much better Manager than he is given credit for. Ignore the accent and the 15 rounds with Henry Cooper features (which probably are an advantage talking with even modern day footballers), he is a pretty sophisticated operator.

Sure he screws up from time to time but he is doing fine for us overall. We don't yet have a strong enough group of players for them to bail him out when he does err, but nobody can seriously argue that we have seen anything less than good progress over his two years with us.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, philipl said:

My gut feel is Mowbray is a much better Manager than he is given credit for. Ignore the accent and the 15 rounds with Henry Cooper features (which probably are an advantage talking with even modern day footballers), he is a pretty sophisticated operator.

Sure he screws up from time to time but he is doing fine for us overall. We don't yet have a strong enough group of players for them to bail him out when he does err, but nobody can seriously argue that we have seen anything less than good progress over his two years with us.

How would you quantify that progress?

He's rebuilt the whole core of the club from the inside so if he left tomorrow there'd be a far better platform than when he came. Ideally he'd have been the best type of guy to take over after Bowyer and add his experience to the mix that was sadly lacking then.

I still think we'll need something more to push up a level but for now he's a safe pair of hands and this summer and next season are massive for him. If he doesn't at least try to kick it on we'll be in bother as we saw with GB stability only lasts a season two with what you have you need to add quality and freshen it up.  An even bigger ask if good ones begin to get sold and that money isn't reinvested, a huge summer for the ownership as well.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, philipl said:

nobody can seriously argue that we have seen anything less than good progress over his two years with us.

The club has recovered but several playing problems remain which he inherited.

Large amount of defensive mistakes

Players out of position

Conceding late goals

are just three examples.

We have made progress as there is a more positive feel about the club but lets not over hype it. The starting XI is not much different than two years ago and evidence is showing that several of these players are ageing.

• Like 2

Just now, tomphil said:

He's rebuilt the whole core of the club from the inside so if he left tomorrow there'd be a far better platform than when he came. Ideally he'd have been the best type of guy to take over after Bowyer and add his experience to the mix that was sadly lacking then.

I still think we'll need something more to push up a level but for now he's a safe pair of hands and this summer and next season are massive for him. If he doesn't at least try to kick it on we'll be in bother as we saw with GB stability only lasts a season two with what you have you need to add quality and freshen it up.  An even bigger ask if good ones begin to get sold and that money isn't reinvested, a huge summer for the ownership as well.

I think the issue is not where we are but where he's capable of taking us. He has certainly galvanised the club and it's fanbase to this point. Whether he has got what it takes to get us in the play-offs is another matter. I have serious reservations about his ability to recruit the right players to improve the team defensively. I also think he's one-dimensional as an attacking coach. That is the biggest surprise as he always had a reputation for good football, but the odd game here or there apart the football is turgid. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

The club has recovered but several playing problems remain which he inherited.

Large amount of defensive mistakes

Players out of position

Conceding late goals

are just three examples.

We have made progress as there is a more positive feel about the club but lets not over hype it. The starting XI is not much different than two years ago and evidence is showing that several of these players are ageing.

That's why this summer is huge for him as he's given himself the platform to try and alter all that. First season was all about trying to make a silk purse out of Coyles sows ear, last season was just all about getting back up straight away before there was massive budget cuts, hence the fire power he brought in and playing as many strikers as possible out of position at times.

This season he's got a free pass in some quarters under the consolidation headline even though in truth we should be several points better off and looking at an exciting seasons end.  Now if he doesn't make genuine efforts to improve those areas that should've been improved by now we'll know he's either blind to it, ignoring it just to plod on or there really isn't the ambition from above that they like to say there is.

We aren't expecting him to spend 20 million either, a couple of good defenders won't cost that.

I could see him getting sacked now if we lose three out of the next four, which is pretty amazing considering where we were end of Jan.

What's done him I think is the injury to Lenihan and letting Downing go, alongside weak defensive full backs. Plus Brereton purchase has been crackers. If that money had been spent on defenders we would be in a much better position.

He's done a lot of good things, but if you concede and lose as much have there is only one logical conclusion.

If he can turn it around great, I like him. However such is the lack of defensive resources the only way I can see that happening is Lenihan coming back as we are a vastly better defensive unit with him in it.

Regardless of his vision or anything else he might have for the club, he has failed miserably to communicate with the fans what his actual plan is to stop the current rot. He seems helpless and clueless. Pretty much any and all goodwill he might have earned has gone now.

• Backroom

It's starting to feel like this has gone too far now. Barring a major, major overhaul in the summer we are looking at a very difficult 19/20 with Mowbray at the helm, imo. Our defence isn't great, but there's no way it's this bad either. A lot of this is down to the manager. 

We need to see a serious upturn in form between now and the end of the season, complete with much more resolute defending. If this isn't in evidence during our last 11 games I would want Mowbray removed as I feel he will relegate us next season. Do I have faith that Venky's would hire anybody better? Nope. But if it's still this bad by the end of the season we might as well roll the dice, as if Mowbray hasn't been able to sort out our defending by now he never will.

• Like 1

Think it's quite clear Mowbray is not the man for us.

I can't see what he offers us other than those bloody values.

Again, IMO, no point prolonging the agony.  Giving him the summer or to Oct / Nov would be b 0 l l 0 c k s and, IMO, a waste of another season.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

He's lost it. He sends Downing and Wharton out on loan with no bring-back clause.

Seriously, what he needs to do now is bring in at least one (preferably two) giant central defenders on loan to the end of the season.

If not, I can see us dropping into the bottom 3 after the last match of the season.

Just now, bazza said:

He's lost it. He sends Downing and Wharton out on loan with no bring-back clause.

Seriously, what he needs to do now is bring in at least one (preferably two) giant central defenders on loan to the end of the season.

If not, I can see us dropping into the bottom 3 after the last match of the season.

Transfer and loan window is closed until the summer pal.