BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

6 hours ago, philipl said:

Let's not forget we have lost all gate money when we are doing transfer budget calculations.

That's partly through our choice. We could have sold 5000+ season tickets like Bolton have done which would have covered a large portion of any lost income. We've decided not to so no sympathy there.

Edit - sorry just seen @Stuartcovered this above.

Edited by JHRover

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Argh, come off it mate. We cut 6 of them loose and offered Downing a reduced package in order to make room for the players we want. The clearing of ‘deadwood’ has been satisfying to watch.

They have been open in saying which positions they want to fill with recruitment and then squad fillers come from the u23’s instead of the Harts, Smallwoods and Mulgrews of this world.

Sign one experienced CB along with Kaminski before Sat. Then push to get Cunningham in and basically we’ve got the first XI covered. Then get cover keeper and the squad is basically complete.

Get to the end of the window and see who has gone. Mulgrew is expected to go. I don’t think they’ll let Del go until they have another chance lined up

It all hinges on who comes in. Like I say other than Downing I'm not too bothered about releasing those we have BUT they need replacing and haven't been YET.

If they aren't replaced with at least 4 incomings of decent quality I think we will be weakened.

20 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Surely the time has come to give Wharton the opportunity. You only have to look at what Ben White managed in his first season in the championship after loans in the leagues below. There’s no way Brighton would have been knocking back bids of £25m for him before he’d done a season with Leeds. What’s not to say that Wharton could form a partnership with Lenihan.

I feel his loan last season was at a league lower than is should have been but that was our mistake. He’d already won promotion from league 2 so should have been rewarded with a league 1 loan to test him at a better level. However he got promoted again from league 2 so couldn’t really do much more. It’s time to either start him or risk losing him like we did with Jack O’Connell.

I agree with this mostly. Even just having him on a bench as one ‘back up’ is something we should be doing. Get a starting CB in and have Wharton as back up and we’re not in bad shape. Wharton has to be given the chance now or he’ll end up going and we’ll most probably regret it again.

Still think Wharton will end up back at Northampton for another season,or even half a season, to get games in.

If we can get in a couple of experienced c/backs in and have Carter, Magloire Grayson as back up we should be ok, and get Mulgrew and Williams off the wage bill.

10 minutes ago, unsall said:

Still think Wharton will end up back at Northampton for another season,or even half a season, to get games in.

If we can get in a couple of experienced c/backs in and have Carter, Magloire Grayson as back up we should be ok, and get Mulgrew and Williams off the wage bill.

Do you not prefer Wharton to Carter, Magloire and Grayson? Wharton has the games and experience that the others don't. I'd be sending the other 3 out on loan for some games!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, unsall said:

Think Wharton is head and shoulders over the other three who, IMO, will never cut it at Championship level (even as back up). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Think Wharton is head and shoulders over the other three who, IMO, will never cut it at Championship level (even as back up). 

100%. No way would I send Wharton out and have these 3 on the bench above him. No chance. Wharton is miles ahead of them at this point in time!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

That's partly through our choice. We could have sold 5000+ season tickets like Bolton have done which would have covered a large portion of any lost income. We've decided not to so no sympathy there.

Edit - sorry just seen @Stuartcovered this above.

5000 ST holders who may need to be refunded before Christmas because they’ve not been able to watch any football...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

5000 ST holders who may need to be refunded before Christmas because they’ve not been able to watch any football...

Or the ST's are just valid for the next 23 games they are allowed to attend....

If it goes into next season then so be it.

Edited by MarkBRFC

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

It all hinges on who comes in. Like I say other than Downing I'm not too bothered about releasing those we have BUT they need replacing and haven't been YET.

If they aren't replaced with at least 4 incomings of decent quality I think we will be weakened.

That’s it, I don’t think Hart, Smallwood and Samuel do need replacing. The young lads can do that.

Davenport is a ready made replacement for Downing and we spent a lot of money on two lads bought to replace Danny Graham who need to have the chance to do this.

The only positions imo which have opened up because of the losses are Gk and cb. Which in fairness, we appear to be on the way to sorting.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

Do you not prefer Wharton to Carter, Magloire and Grayson? Wharton has the games and experience that the others don't. I'd be sending the other 3 out on loan for some games!

Still would like to see Wharton get a lot of game time in league 1 instead of being on the bench, if we bring in 2 c/backs he might not make the bench, another season in league 1 and he will hopefully be ready for championship football,

2 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Or the ST's are just valid for the next 23 games they are allowed to attend....

If it goes into next season then so be it.

Possibly. Sufficed to say I can understand why the club are hesitant to commit to selling STs given the uncertainty. Can guarantee there’d be uproar if STs were sold and then fans struggled to secure refunds if/when stricter lockdown measures are enforced. 

Kaminski in today?

15 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

That’s it, I don’t think Hart, Smallwood and Samuel do need replacing. The young lads can do that.

Davenport is a ready made replacement for Downing and we spent a lot of money on two lads bought to replace Danny Graham who need to have the chance to do this.

The only positions imo which have opened up because of the losses are Gk and cb. Which in fairness, we appear to be on the way to sorting.

Fair comment on the first point when you look at what they've brought to the table in the last 18 months which wasn't much or anything at all. Various reasons obviously but they certainly won't be missed whatsoever right now.

We are now almost freed of carrying players for sentimental reasons although i'm with JH on the point Mowbray would still have kept some of them if he was flush with spare cash.  Anyway it's done now so it's a positive step forward imo lets hope it can be used.

47 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

But there would be caveats to cover that and other eventualities and many would accept them risks. I personally wouldn't buy one yet but if some people want to do then Rovers should be capitalising on this. 

• Like 1