BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

6 hours ago, 47er said:

Coaching better at Brentford? Possibility?

Based on the freekick I wouldn't say so. Had he done that in our shirt, particularly in a playoff final, I dread to think how some on here would react. Along the lines of "should have sold him to Brentford for £1m" perhaps. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yes, we're so much better off with no-one.

But we didn’t have no one...or at least I don’t remember starting a league game without a keeper in goal? Moreover whether you like it or not, the new incumbent had more clean sheets than his predecessor, Raya.

The truth is, the post about Raya isn’t about Walton, or us. It’s about Raya and ‘that’ goal last night giving me a flashback to the time he was here when he would make a world class save before promptly handing the opposition a goal out of nothing.

David Raya - from the sublime to the ridiculous. 

• Like 1

10 from 41 for Raya in 2018/19, 12 from 46 for Walton, so. So a near percentage dead heat. And of course, Walton had a more settled/generally better quality centre half partnership in front of him -  Raya has just won the golden glove award for Championship clean sheets - so perhaps the poor defence he was behind here might have something to do with it? See we can all spin stats!

End of the day was selling our promising but error prone keeper for a couple of million (the proof will be in what Brentford sell him for) just to loan in players as poor and even more error prone as Walton a good move? And now just weeks away from a new season we’ve 0 first team keepers on the books, seems poor planning to me.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I don’t know mate. I thought we signed two didn’t we?

But either way, that line is as boring tonight as it was last night and the night before that etc ??

And so is Mowbrays  disregard for permanent signings in key positions which have bitten us in the ass time and again . 
Boring it might be but they were his words not ours .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alex l said:

Based on the freekick I wouldn't say so. Had he done that in our shirt, particularly in a playoff final, I dread to think how some on here would react. Along the lines of "should have sold him to Brentford for £1m" perhaps. 

No——thinking of the 2nd “semi”, Raya came off his line and confidently took a cross on the 6 yard line, both hands, and gripped it like his life depended on it.

Then there was a good save, he threw it out immediately to the right-back whose through ball led to a goal. Very impressive I thought.

• Like 1

Hi all I'm more of a read it not comment kind of guy BUT......... the rewriting of the raya history has me very perplexed, the guy could not kick out a ball from goal without it going out of play, catch a simple cross or even see a simple pass when with us. I for one was over the moon when we sold him ( yes yes it left us with nothing ) his change in play is a clear indication we really need a better goalkeeper coach FACT. ( or he wanted to go that much he made mistakes) 

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead
10 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Yep, let’s assume that all these fully grown men are lying. Makes sense ??

Edit - Tbf at least you’ve been honest enough to admit that you think the posters are lying though. 

Come on now, you’re better than that. 

You’re muddying the waters by inferring that I believe the posters in questions are lying. 
That’s nothing like what I was saying and you know it. I was saying that people shouldn’t hang on the word of someone they’ve ever met that posts on an online forum.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I posted last night what I would have done, it seems extremely obvious to me - get people signed up on direct debit at a lower rate commensurate with watching the early part of the season on I follow  (say half the rate of a normal season ticket)  and adjust the payments back to a normal rate once fans are allowed back in the ground.

We're probably one of a relatively small number of Clubs who shouldn't have to worry too much in the sense that more or less everyone who wants a ST should still be able to get one even with restricted capacity so I really can't see why we haven't rolled out some sort of scheme. It would have provided  an element of cashflow and I think there is a real danger the longer people go without hearing anything , they'll lose interest and not bother renewing.

Even if you signed people up for a pound a month initially while nothing is happening, they're committed for later on when things get back to near normality and have to take positive action to cancel if they're not happy with the price or what's on offer.

Even that would be better than doing nothing and leaving things up in the air indefinitely wondering whether anyone will eventually come back.

Can’t you understand though why the club are being cautious? We have no idea if fans will be allowed in stadiums at all next season, especially with a second peak expected over autumn. 

I accept that it’s possible to have some form of token season ticket rolled out that could cover a couple of situations but surely it will simply cause more logistical headaches down the line? We saw how challenging it was to get ST holders free access to iFollow in June.

I have no idea why the club have been historically slow to release ST details (or kits for that matter) but I don’t blame them this time. They’re damned either way.

• Like 1

All angles covered here by Mowbray - think it's clear we will be running a surplus of transfer fees this pre season:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18628620.rovers-summer-plans-wont-revolve-around-losing-key-men/

Sharpe writes:

Tony Mowbray admits his side are in something of a transition phase as they require strengthening in several areas ahead of next season. A new No.1 and central defender are top of the priority list with just 38 days until the 2020/21 season.

Evolution, slow build, transition - IMO, it's all feckin bullsh1t.  Think we have an unbalanced squad, in the main low on quality, with gaping holes in key areas.  IMO, we are way behind where we should be and it's as a result of Mowbray's gross mismanagement in player trading.

IMO, we need a bright, hungry, innovative young manager who has a plan and stamps their identity on their team in the way Arteta, Lampard and Parker have.  All these guys have been in post 12 months or less but their teams clearly have an identity and know what they are doing.  Contrast with Mowbray's three and a half year of evolution, slow build and transition - I think it's a p!ss taker!

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I've just watched two bang average teams battle it out bore me to tears for 120 minutes for a £160m prize

Oh come on! It's a play off final, they're always cagey affairs no matter who plays in them. It's the most financially lucrative stand-alone game in all of football and the pressure is bound to get to these teams. If you think Fulham are bang average then we must be League Two quality!

Both sides who played in the final have had fantastic years, with Fulham having a net spend of over £100m, Brentford spending over £10m etc, it's not like these sides are even close to our ability, they're miles above with the players they have in their locker.

I don't think it's Venkys fault that Waggott and Mowbray and the scouting team haven't sourced out the next Benrahma (who cost about £400,000 in Ligue 2).

26 minutes ago, geedog13 said:

Hi all I'm more of a read it not comment kind of guy BUT......... the rewriting of the raya history has me very perplexed, the guy could not kick out a ball from goal without it going out of play, catch a simple cross or even see a simple pass when with us. I for one was over the moon when we sold him ( yes yes it left us with nothing ) his change in play is a clear indication we really need a better goalkeeper coach FACT. ( or he wanted to go that much he made mistakes) 

It's quite clear he wanted to go after being hung out in the press time and again by our manager. I see Nyambe going a similar way. It just isn't the way to deal with things. Raya's horrific facial injury seems to be forgotten but I am sure any keeper would suffer a loss of confidence after something like that - wearing that mask you would be in two minds half the time whether to go for a ball. 

I am not saying the lad was faultless as we all know he wasn't by a long stretch but there is huge potential there. His errors this season for Brentford have reduced, his distribution is now one of his strengths and he has worldie saves in his locker. 

At the end of the day, if we had replaced him with a keeper of similar or better quality, it wouldn't be talked about half as much as it is. It is the fact we downgraded and used the money to buy another dud striker to play on the wing. 

• Like 8

“I don’t sit here thinking we’re going to sell a major asset to help us recruit, but if somebody bids money which we think is right for a player we think we should let go because we can improve the team, then we will do that.”  - Tony Mowbray

This quote seems to be worrying some people and I can't understand why. This is absolutely bang on from Mowbray, every player has a price. Someone comes along with £2m for Holtby in the last year of his deal, we'd be stupid not to say "yeah okay", or £15m for Dack too given his injury.

Dack leaving but a keeper, Tosin, Cunningham and Whiteman coming in is probably and improvement to our team if we're honest, because every player has a price and three players are better than one.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

‘We sold our goalie to buy Sam Gallagher’... that kind of thing?

We sold a shit goalkeeper for a decent fee in my opinion. I wouldn't dare claim Sam Gallagher was a decent buy.

I said "but a keeper, Tosin, Cunningham and Whiteman coming in is probably and improvement to our team". That's a big but. I'm not saying we should sell all our best players.

• Like 2

That reads to me as though Mowbray hasn't yet been told he has to sell assets, but perhaps might be told that in the near future. He's priming the fans for it. But still hasn't had confirmation or otherwise from upstars.

He says it is inevitable that we will have to sell eventually. What if we get promoted this season? Or has he written that off already as part of this never ending transition?

Basically he's sold things to the owners as an investment to recoup their money down the line and now its time for cashing in. Just like under Bowyer.

He talks about using funds to strengthen the squad but we all know that doesn't happen. Last time he used the Raya money to sign Gallagher, and used loans to sort the defence for a season. Now because of that we are in dire straits at the back. 

Wouldn't happen anywhere else but Venky Rovers.

• Like 1

Just now, JoeH said:

We sold a shit goalkeeper for a decent fee in my opinion. I wouldn't dare claim Sam Gallagher was a decent buy.

I said "but a keeper, Tosin, Cunningham and Whiteman coming in is probably and improvement to our team". That's a big but. I'm not saying we should sell all our best players.

Lot of assumptions there. What keeper for a start? Will we get Whiteman? Is Tosin coming back. I can think of loads of players who would improve our squad but .....

Just now, JHRover said:

That reads to me as though Mowbray hasn't yet been told he has to sell assets, but perhaps might be told that in the near future. He's priming the fans for it. But still hasn't had confirmation or otherwise from upstars.

He says it is inevitable that we will have to sell eventually. What if we get promoted this season? Or has he written that off already as part of this never ending transition?

Basically he's sold things to the owners as an investment to recoup their money down the line and now its time for cashing in. Just like under Bowyer.

He talks about using funds to strengthen the squad but we all know that doesn't happen. Last time he used the Raya money to sign Gallagher, and used loans to sort the defence for a season. Now because of that we are in dire straits at the back. 

Wouldn't happen anywhere else but Venky Rovers.

Think it's obvious the whole plan set down with the audits etc then some big lumps of money coming in only directed at young British u24 forwards.  Grow a side to sell and invest a bit up top to hopefully get big premium prices down the line, relegation reset the clock for all that in a way.

You'd hope this time the idea was to sell one regularly to keep the ball rolling and try and keep the rest to keep building a good side.  However you never know with this lot and covid could be the blame this time. Last time it was FFP ( and the falling share prices of VH ).  So it could well be a fire sale again over the next 18 months like last time rather than the conveyor belt.

I'm sure those in the middle with something to gain will be breathing in ears again, not a lot Mowbray can do about that to be fair. Unless they are all interlinked of course. Still the search for willing buyers and good prices might just be the saving grace this time as it won't be so easy i wouldn't have thought. 

Promotion/top 6 is and always has been just a tag line, something they just hope will happen one day when the gods smile on us.

36 minutes ago, Mercer said:

All angles covered here by Mowbray - think it's clear we will be running a surplus of transfer fees this pre season:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18628620.rovers-summer-plans-wont-revolve-around-losing-key-men/

Sharpe writes:

Tony Mowbray admits his side are in something of a transition phase as they require strengthening in several areas ahead of next season. A new No.1 and central defender are top of the priority list with just 38 days until the 2020/21 season.

Evolution, slow build, transition - IMO, it's all feckin bullsh1t.  Think we have an unbalanced squad, in the main low on quality, with gaping holes in key areas.  IMO, we are way behind where we should be and it's as a result of Mowbray's gross mismanagement in player trading.

IMO, we need a bright, hungry, innovative young manager who has a plan and stamps their identity on their team in the way Arteta, Lampard and Parker have.  All these guys have been in post 12 months or less but their teams clearly have an identity and know what they are doing.  Contrast with Mowbray's three and a half year of evolution, slow build and transition - I think it's a p!ss taker!

So we are pretty much in the same position as we were last summer needing players for the same areas we were short in then.  That's some slow build.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, 47er said:

Lot of assumptions there. What keeper for a start? Will we get Whiteman? Is Tosin coming back. I can think of loads of players who would improve our squad but .....

I'm not assuming? I'm merely saying in a perfect world that everybody would sell Dack to have a keeper, Tosin, Cunningham and Whiteman. I know within the reality of Rovers that this isn't likely.

7 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

We only use them when it suits.

And even then we massage the way the graphs are displayed to further a point.

Please ask away, I'm happy to use any statistic in any situation. I don't use it when it suits. Load of tosh.