BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] And The Beeb Says We Want Beckham.....

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we berated the press with Shearer

we berated the press with Sutton

we berated the press with Bellamy

and we got the trio of them

now we berate the press with Beckham !

Although in image terms we stand zulchfaffall chance of getting him it WOULDNT surprise me one bit !

remember Archibald and Ardiles ? Speedie and McKenzie ? Rovers do have a knack of pulling off the unexpected :brfc:

Funny this.

Before the West Ham game i was saying to Jordan that we should make a "cheeky move" to sign Beckham in january (doubt he will remember!), i was only being half serious but here we are with this story...

I'd still say 0% chance of it ever happening though. :)

we berated the press with Shearer

we berated the press with Sutton

we berated the press with Bellamy

and we got the trio of them

now we berate the press with Beckham !

Although in image terms we stand zulchfaffall chance of getting him it WOULDNT surprise me one bit !

remember Archibald and Ardiles ? Speedie and McKenzie ? Rovers do have a knack of pulling off the unexpected :brfc:

Do you mean we got berated by the press?

No I mean we took the micky and scoffed at the press when we were linked with that little lot. We can go all the way back into the 80's and find Rovers being linked to big time players and pulling off a coup out of the blue.

There is nothing to say it cant happen again although I do accept that this story maybe a little way off the mark

Perhaps I am nuts but the more I think about this the more I can see us pulling this one off, If we have the right spin doctor to sell it to Beckham. Sell it to him in terms of football, good honest footy, no distractions just come and do what you like to do, play the game.

Also if Beckham's spin Doctors can put the right slant on it chances are it could be very beneficial to him too.

Edited by USABlue

What we can offer to Beckham:

Probably around 50k a week (50% of his current wages)

Mark Hughes

A central midfield role (play where Tugay plays now)

Probably as high a standard of football as will be available for him (Celtic would be the only club that i can see fancying him, and promising first team football, and being in the CL), but then so can all the other teams in the Prem. I doubt the UEFA cup would be a major factor.

Near his friends in manchester.

What we can't offer Beckham:

As high wages as the likes of Tottenham, Newcastle, Celtic and, possibly, Villa.

As large crowds as the Geordies and Celtic.

As high a profile as the likes of Geordies, Spurs and Celtic

Penetration into the US market.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps I am nuts but the more I think about this the more I can see us pulling this one off, If we have the right spin doctor to sell it to Beckham. Sell it to him in terms of football, good honest footy, no distractions just come and do what you like to do, play the game.

Also if Beckham's spin Doctors can put the right slant on it chances are it could be very beneficial to him too.

Step forward Mark Hughes.

I can't believe this is even up for discussion, David Beckham playing for us ? FFS ! Posh would never live it down anyway.

Rumour has it he refuses to remove his earphones these days, plugged into his ipod wherever he goes. Through the earpiece there is a recording of posh repeating - "breath in .... breath out .... breath in .... breath out ......

What does Sparky mean by "right player at the wrong time"

He probably means it would hold back Bentley's development.

Like someone else said I think Sparky's comments have been dragged way out of context to make a newsworthy story. All he basically said was that anyone in their right minds would want him if he became available and it was viable financially.

Somewhat unlikely on the face of it but if you suspend disbelief for a moment it would theoretically be a great move for both parties.

Massive exposure and increased commercial and TV revenue for the club. Star billing and a regular starting slot for Beckham which he ain't going to get at the "big four." Plus if he moved to us he could move back to leafy Cheshire rather than live in Newcastle.

Even if it doesn't happen it's encouraging to see us linked with such a mega name.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him move to Arsenal. I would be more than surprised to see him at Rovers!

Don't get me wrong though, I would be absolutely ecstatic if he were join us. He is still a top quality player and capable of playing for one of the worlds biggest clubs.

Edited by tcj_jones

No I mean we took the micky and scoffed at the press when we were linked with that little lot. We can go all the way back into the 80's and find Rovers being linked to big time players and pulling off a coup out of the blue.

There is nothing to say it cant happen again although I do accept that this story maybe a little way off the mark

You might have scoffed with regards to shall we call them the modern era players, but most others didnt. I wouldnt at the time say Shearer, Sutton or Speedie were unrealistic at all. Beckham, however, is.

Edited by Hasta

Probably put 10,000 on the first gate and an average 5,000 on the rest. Plus increased shirt sales, sponsorship etc. etc. Finance would not be a problem - Beckham pays for himself.

However, there are a loads of reasons why he would not come to us - and only one why he would - Mark Hughes. I'd be delighted if he did though.

i think there isnt any chance hughes could pull this one of would be the bigest signing rovers have ever made the shirt sales in places such as china for beckham is amazing the income that he alone would bring and the fans would make the club better of improving finacial and attendance wise. he is still one of the best players in the world but i dont think it will happen.

Hughes has thrown his hat in the ring and wiil wait and see what happens, Beckham has lots of options the USA is one but they have a wage cap so maybe difficult to to bring him on a budget, as for the Prem clubs I cant see any of the so called top four interested so that leave Spurs who already have about 15 midfielders, trhe toon who are struggling anyway, Bolton is another option if Big Sam can do a dodgy deal.

I think we have a chance and would like to see him in a Rovers shirt,. as for him saying he would never play for another prem club, anyone remember Rooney saying once a blue always a blue or Alan Smith saying he wouldnt join Man Utd.

Well there's no point him coming here if he wants to play for England. Can't see it happening, as his wages are too expensive, and he's too glamourous for us. If anywhere, I'd say the MLS, Villa or Spuds would get him. Still, you never know............

I was going to read through everything before commenting, but this one made me laugh. He's too glamorous for us, so he'll go to MLS? Yes, that's where all the glamour stars have been heading. So he can play before Burnley size crowds in 100 degree (F) weather. (Yes, I know he would be a draw and raise the profile, but he would do the same for Rovers.)

I'm not saying it will happen, there are a lot of other clubs who could offer more (I think Villa would be the smart destination), but it isn't out of the realm of possibility and he would be self-financing.

I have to say that when I heard the news I KNEW that people on here would be saying he wasn't good enough for us.

i think there isnt any chance hughes could pull this one of would be the bigest signing rovers have ever made the shirt sales in places such as china for beckham is amazing the income that he alone would bring and the fans would make the club better of improving finacial and attendance wise. he is still one of the best players in the world but i dont think it will happen.

:rolleyes:

How can he best one of the best players in the world if he cannot even get in the starting 11 for his own Team or Country?

:wstu: Think about it! I'm not going to repeat what others have said - but wages would not be the stumbling block.

OK, thought about it.

I have said some daft things myself in the past, but i really think the whole idea of Becks coming to play for us is quite absurd.

Sorry, but if you honestly think we can afford to give him these wages then good luck to you.

Merchandising is a laugh - we simply do not have enough fans for that and I don't relish the prospect of glory hunters tagging along with him.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the team.

While we are at it, lets put in a bid for Rooney, Lampard, Ronhaldhinio and Maradonna too...

I woould love it to happen, and don't think it is as unrealistic as some of you think. It is unlikely that the top clubs are going to go after him, so why not us.

Mark Hughes could be a huge factor in this happening.

I have said some daft things myself in the past, but i really think the whole idea of Becks coming to play for us is quite absurd.

You know, I've always thought Sparky to be a sensible man, a staight shooter, he's not going to go on about a player if he thought it was out of our reach. He's not the pie in the sky sort of fella, he a realist and if he thinks there is a possibility then I just have to buy what he's selling.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.