BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fulham - Sunday 13Th September

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, at least it was better than the Bolton game... Even during that miserable first half hour we at least had some sort of shape to the team, albeit without any confidence. We even made that over the hill lump O'Hara look good. We looked much better once we started to knock the ball around in midfield a bit and not desperately try to play it forward with each and every pass. Not sure we could have done much different in the second half, but if the first thirty minutes is what Bowyer can muster after two weeks of uninterrupted work with the squad then he really shouldn't be head coach.

Can't say I'm missing Cairney. Based on the game today he hasn't improved one bit since leaving here.

Spurr obviously plays on the strength of his long throw, but it slows down play, kills any momentum our attack has built up and should be saved for games where we expect to be heavily pushed back. Spurr is not a bad left back, but Olsson needs to play next game.

I can't even keep count on how many central midfield pairings we've started with this season. It's the back bone of any team, certainly one with a 4-4-2 formation, and a huge part of our defensive problems. We might not have let their second goal in with a dedicated defensive midfielder to sweep up at least one of Steele's rebounds.

Koita tends to let go of the ball a second or so too late, but based on raw ability alone he's probably our best striker. Needs to start the next game.

Marshall had a good game and Conway was decent, but I can't help but think that they'd do even more damage in more comfortably attacking positions, as in a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3 formation.

Although Steele had a good game (I'm particularly impressed with his kicking) he shouldn't have played today. It will have caused a massive blow to Raya's confidence, and spread even more uncertainty in our defense. Shocking decision.

The first 30 minutes were the worst display I have seen for a very long time by any Rovers team - a whole team players who obviously have some ability but who are totally lacking in confidence, drive, energy and direction. Terrible passing, ball given away repeatedly and rarely won back - it was embarrassing to watch. Then for 10-15 mins up to half time things improved a bit and a few signs of life started to show.

Bringing on Koita for me was the real difference (and presumably whatever was said by someone at half time) - I actually thought Delfouneso was one of the few who was actually trying in the first half (albeit with little effect) , but the change at half time did turn things around, somehow woke up the whole team and we should have at least got a draw.

But although the second half display showed we can play and create some excellent chances , the dreadful start and poor attitude can't be excused and it can only be explained by real problems with the coaching & management - changes have now to be made.

we have enough chances to win that games 2 times over.

Going forward we are good enough to finish between 8th and 12th BUT defensively we aren't good enough to finish between there unless we started defending better

BTW, Cairney is backing Bowyer as Rovers manager

Cairney was taking the @#/?... Lol

Bowyer has to go the table isn't lying

I have nothing to back it up but my gut feeling is that our improvements in games as they prgress has nothing to do with Bowyer and are in spite of him and his negative tactics. It's as if the team itself decides collectively feck this for a bunch of coconuts let's at least try and show that dud on the line we can actually play.

Bowyers motivational skills are non-existent and he exudes negativity.

Just imagine if you were a player, an adult, being called a schoolboy like nickname always ending in a Y. Especially when it's not even your real one but just something this buffoon made up. Makes my head swim he's such a plonker.

A game of two halves really. First half we were dreadful and yet had the chances to go in on level terms. Second half we created numerous chances but didn't take them. We certainly aren't getting the rub of the green at the moment but the, every relegation season I've seen since 65-66 was the same in terms of bad luck. I thought the players responded to whatever Bowyer said at half time and the change - bringing on Koita - certainly improved things. Once again, we started off with the wrong tactics in using Delfouneso behind Rhodes. Rhodes can't play as a lone striker and sooner or later the penny will drop. Our defending for both of the Fulham goals was poor. Hanley made a schoolboy error on the first and the second was poor in that nobody helped Steele out after he'd made two saves.

I thought we did well in the second half but the finishing was poor. Conway and Rhodes should both have found the target from very good chances. Those I travelled with came back in a positive mood after the second half but we need to get points on the board sooner rather than later. The next two games are now huge for us. We need at least one win if we are not to start falling behind. For all the money that Fulham have spent I thought they looked very ordinary in the second half after a bright opening forty-five minutes.

Didn't see the game today but just starting to watch it now. The first goal is a joke. It is the sort of goal you see in injury time when chasing a game not within the first 5 mins. The lack of urgency that spurr showed to get back was unbelivable - just watch it again. Anyway about to watch the rest. Before watching it I will say that even if we had chances, were unlucky etc. yet again we give goals away and have to chase the game. That's not luck it's just poor and it's not improving. Time for bowyer to go.

I don't like to blame the officials for defeat, but I would like to know if any other club has been so adversely affected by shocking decisions in the first 6 games of the season.

We had the hand ball goal against Wolves, that somehow the referee and official failed to notice, which put us 2-1 down on the stroke of half time and turned out to be the winning goal.

Today we had a legitimate goal not awarded because the linesman/referee couldn't spot that the ball had crossed the line. Which would have made the game 2-2 in the last ten minutes.

That's a third of our games that have been directly affected by dodgy decisions from the officials, and which have cost us at least 2 points.

Couple those two horrendous decisions, which any competent officials would have dealt with properly, and our ongoing treatment at the hands of the League with our transfer embargo, is it too early to start putting conspiracy theories out there?

Because I don't care what anyone says, these things don't even themselves out and we won't be benefiting from handball goals or disallowing opposition goals this season.

That isn't an attempt to deflect from another defeat against a mediocre Fulham side, I just find it suspicious.

In the end we've had an abysmal start to the season. Once again its a familiar and boring tale of a game where we were actually decent by our recent standards yet still lost against a poor side.

Fulham know they got away with it big time today. Any other side would have gone there and got a result. Fulham haven't won at home this season before today, and despite their terrible showing in the second half they had done enough in the first half to sit back and see the game out.

We never get ourselves into such a situation. When was the last time Rovers were 2-0 up in a game and had the luxury of a 45 minute second half where they could play poorly yet hang on for 3 points? It never happens. We're always the team chasing the game or at best protecting a point.

The first 30 minutes were the worst display I have seen for a very long time by any Rovers team - a whole team players who obviously have some ability but who are totally lacking in confidence, drive, energy and direction. Terrible passing, ball given away repeatedly and rarely won back - it was embarrassing to watch. Then for 10-15 mins up to half time things improved a bit and a few signs of life started to show.

Bringing on Koita for me was the real difference (and presumably whatever was said by someone at half time) - I actually thought Delfouneso was one of the few who was actually trying in the first half (albeit with little effect) , but the change at half time did turn things around, somehow woke up the whole team and we should have at least got a draw.

But although the second half display showed we can play and create some excellent chances , the dreadful start and poor attitude can't be excused and it can only be explained by real problems with the coaching & management - changes have now to be made.

Was there any criticism of GB and/or the players from those present Tony?

A game of two halves really. First half we were dreadful and yet had the chances to go in on level terms. Second half we created numerous chances but didn't take them. We certainly aren't getting the rub of the green at the moment but the, every relegation season I've seen since 65-66 was the same in terms of bad luck. I thought the players responded to whatever Bowyer said at half time and the change - bringing on Koita - certainly improved things. Once again, we started off with the wrong tactics in using Delfouneso behind Rhodes. Rhodes can't play as a lone striker and sooner or later the penny will drop. Our defending for both of the Fulham goals was poor. Hanley made a schoolboy error on the first and the second was poor in that nobody helped Steele out after he'd made two saves.

I thought we did well in the second half but the finishing was poor. Conway and Rhodes should both have found the target from very good chances. Those I travelled with came back in a positive mood after the second half but we need to get points on the board sooner rather than later. The next two games are now huge for us. We need at least one win if we are not to start falling behind. For all the money that Fulham have spent I thought they looked very ordinary in the second half after a bright opening forty-five minutes.

The worry is, if we pick up three points from the next two, that still leaves us on six points from eight. Relegation form.

From the fans who attend the game, what was the view from Rovers fans at Craven Cottage?

Any Boywer out chants?

Happy with the second half of the game?

I think i heard 'Bowyer sort it' out chants in the first half.

From the fans who attend the game, what was the view from Rovers fans at Craven Cottage?

Any Boywer out chants?

I was told there were boos and chants in the first half. I haven't asked what the chants were yet, but I imagine any 'Bowyer out' chants won't surface just yet. I'm expecting boos and at least a few more 'Bowyer, sort it out's if we fail to pick up points from the next two.

Any Boywer out chants?

Before the game it was 'Gary Bowyer's Blue and White Army' and 'Gary give us a wave' as he walked across the pitch to the dugout.

There was nothing else until we went 2-0 down and then there were quite loud chants of 'Bowyer sort it out'.

Tim Sherwood summed it up perfectly in his post match interview this afternoon.

Absolutely spot on,

We are still approaching games like a training session

"lets take the positives we can work hard on the training ground"

Its like the squad is in permanent development, ok we lost, lets try again next game blah blah blah

"Who cares if we played well? We lost." AGAIN!

Its about time the confused Rao's woke up and smelled the coffee we are going down again.

AJ get on the bloody blower to Pune and make the changes we need.

I have said time and time again that nothing but winning counts. When there is a league table based on lucky and unlucky I can begin to take Bowyers post match interviews seriously.

Bowyer needs to be removed altogether from this club before it really is too late. In an ideal world the Indians and the misfits are Ewood would also be gone but the clear and present danger is undoubtedly Bowyer.

Archived