BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next Manager

Tom

Next Rovers Manager  

247 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as the next Rovers manager?

• Paul Lambert
    • David Moyes
    • Slovisa Jokanovic
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Paolo di Canio
    • Uwe Rosler
    • David Dunn
    • Billy McKinlay
    • Malky Mackay
    • Ian Holloway
    • Alex McLeish
    • Gus Poyet
    • Tugay Kerimoglu
    • Simon Grayson
    • Billy Davies

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst I would prefer someone with more charisma than Lambert, he and Irvine would be a massive improvement on Bowyer and co.

They have a track record at the highest level and are widely respected in the game.

I want someone aggressive and passionate to take the job to give our lads a kick up the arse that they need. Lambert is the favourite and although his record is good I would rather someone with a more aggressive character. Pearson for me all day long but I don't think there's a chance he'd come. Come on venkys make a good appointment please.

Lambert has a pedigree that none of our previous managers have had. I know he had a poor stint at Villa but he does have experience in the lower leagues and of promotion.

Each managerial hire is a gamble, sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't. But I would be more confident that Lambert could get this team promoted either this season or the following season than a lot of other managers out there.

• Backroom

Lambert has a pedigree that none of our previous managers have had. I know he had a poor stint at Villa but he does have experience in the lower leagues and of promotion.

Each managerial hire is a gamble, sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't. But I would be more confident that Lambert could get this team promoted either this season or the following season than a lot of other managers out there.

I'd be more than happy with a Lambert/Irvine combo. It would be the first time Venky's had ever made a good managerial decision.

wouldn't surprise me if Lambert brought in a German coach aswell.

Lambert was talking on talksport the other week saying he has been watching/spending with Bayern Munich training and Dortmund last season and this.

Plus he is friends with Liverpool manager Klopp

P.S Lambert is 1/10 with Sky Bet now

I heard that interview too. He'd been to quite a few places picking up how they train and looking at tactics. Knew what he needed to do to improve. I warmed to him having found him a dreadful miserable guy at villa. He seemed to genuinely still want to learn and become a better manager

I hope we can get lambert, I really like Jokanovic but i don't think he could handle the responsibility of running an entire club top to bottom, i see him more as a european style 1st team coach/manager that would need a general manager above him to run the rest of the club(accedemy, under 21s, reserves, etc..) moyes doesn't seem to be in the running(as yet) nor does Sherwood and I cant see the venkys hiring a gobs???? like holloway, Lambert ticks all the boxes

Whoever it is it needs to be done in the next 24 hours. With rivals on the look out for managers we can't afford to dawdle.

You would hope that they have got things lined up with a verbal agreement and all that needs doing now is to dot the is and cross the ts with the owners having already authorised the appointment(s).

Otherwise professionals like Lambert won't hang about. If Venkys mess about/delay then the ultimate insult to injury would be to see him turn up at Craven Cottage by the end of the week.

Bet Marshall's depression would quickly return if Pearson took over.

Id like to think Pearson would be wise enough to see Marshall 's talent surpasses most of the current rabble.

Chris Taylor on the Right wing is desperate.

I've heard the Moyes tip, from someone at the club, but can't really believe he would be interested.

I think Nigel Pearson's a very capable manager, but I just don't see it working for him at Rovers. I think putting a few noses out of joint would backfire and, if his attitude towards opposition players on (or slightly off) the field of play extends to a fairly vicious-looking strangle, I shudder to think what his training methods are. I don't think he plays a particularly attractive brand of football, either and I reckon the time taken to changeover to get to winning ways wouldn't sit well with a now (understandably) impatient fanbase.

I got excited about Moyes, when I first read it, but much like a gambler down on his luck, I wouldn't back him to turn his luck around on a long shot such as our club. He's a very capable manager (he was definitely so at Everton) but I don't think we're the club for him, as much as he's not the guy for us.

Jokanovic is a risk, but nothing ventured, nothing gained and it feels like if it paid off, it'd pay off big.

Nevertheless, all roads point to Lambert, for me. I think Villa has been a poisoned chalice for a while now (see Newcastle) so I'm less inclined to judge him in that. A tactician who knows what it takes to get back-to-back promotions. I think he's what a lot of people have been asking for, if not more than.

Id like to think Pearson would be wise enough to see Marshall 's talent surpasses most of the current rabble.

I've heard the Moyes tip, from someone at the club, but can't really believe he would be interested.

People keep saying this like it's unrealistic but it's almost the perfect job for the guy, being close to home and a lot less pressure from what he's recently experienced. Having friends at the club would also surely be attractive to him.

Nevertheless, all roads point to Lambert, for me. I think Villa has been a poisoned chalice for a while now (see Newcastle) so I'm less inclined to judge him in that. A tactician who knows what it takes to get back-to-back promotions. I think he's what a lot of people have been asking for, if not more than.

Just talking to a Norwich fan who thinks the world of him, totally agree about Villa... Can't think of any manager who could succeed there.

Am I right in saying Jokanovic was only at Watford for half of last season and had Deeney and Ighalo banging in the goals?

He would probably find it a lot harder at Rovers with only Rhodes as the main goal scorer now that Rudy has gone. I think the best we can hope for is a combo of Lambert and Irvine if the reports are true. I like Pearson but after thinking about it I don't think he would last very long with his aggressive style.

why not? his stock as a manager has taken a big hit the last few years. If ever he could get that up again, is to take little Rovers to the promise land. This would be a completely different challenge for him, something most managers at some point should aspire to doing in their careers. Some managers just have an easy ride with good teams, but never manages a team that doesnt have big name players, and then get them to play at another level. Thats why Lambert and Pearson are high on my list, because they have proved in this division at least, that they can man up, and know what to do to get a team promoted.

Quite happy with either Lambert or Jokanovic...although there is something more appealling about the latter due to his more recent success with Watford and the way they played last season on their run to promotion was excellent, topped only by a very special Bournemouth side.

Not buying into the 'Lambert failed at Villa' thing. He lost his way perhaps towards the end of his time there (bringing Roy Keane in for instance was probably not the best idea) but it certainly appeared that he had his hands tied a lot of the time by the owner who clearly wants to sell up. He did bring them Benteke though if I remember correctly as one of his first signings...?

He got Norwich back to back promotions, and then kept them up in the first season in the prem. I seem to remember he got the job originally after his Colchester side thumped them on the opening day of the League One season. Shouldn't have taken the Villa job in hindsight. I'd be happy enough if he was the new manager.

I just have this funny feeling about Moyes though. Obviously there's a Preston connection and it's probably just a weird set of coincidences him being at ewood for the derby, and then Rovers sack their manager the day after Moyes loses his job in Spain.

Am I right in saying Jokanovic was only at Watford for half of last season and had Deeney and Ighalo banging in the goals?

He would probably find it a lot harder at Rovers with only Rhodes as the main goal scorer now that Rudy has gone. I think the best we can hope for is a combo of Lambert and Irvine if the reports are true. I like Pearson but after thinking about it I don't think he would last very long with his aggressive style.

Agreed Andy. Lambert's success at Norwich was more sustained.

Having slept on it I am leaning towards Lambert as the stand out candidate. Initially I thought if Moyes could be tempted then great but..

His star has waned a little

He doesn't have promotion from the championship on his cv

He has had a couple of large payouts in the last 2 years - is his head/heart still in the game?

His brand of football at Everton wasn't always the most inspiring.

The lad Jokanovic (sp) is a bit of a wild card. Watford went through a shed load of managers last year, did he just get lucky? Also had a 40+ strike force.

Which leaves Lambert..

Did well with lower league teams

Promotions with Norwich

Only one job not worked out for him

The fact he has been away studying in Germany suggests he is looking to improve

Villa aside, his teams have played on the front foot.

M Hughes has a couple of unsuccessful stints in the Prem but is now doing well with Stoke. I think that Lambert and us could be a very similar fit.

..Enter Keith Hill!

Infuriating is the word,we had a FORTY goal strike force last season and Bowyer still failed.

I really don't understand this point about 40 goals, like its some sort of guarantee to go up.

You could say that we had two strikers who couldn't play together and assisted each other once. That we had one striker who can't run the channels or hold the ball up.

They are as big an impact on the team.

Archived