BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

The only former Rovers player who I think is comparable to Bereton - assuming he leaves at the end of this season - is MacCarthy under Hughes. 

Both had one great season where they lead the line for us, and were indifferent for the rest of their time here. Both in their indifferent spells had their weaker performances mitigated by the fact other strikers were taking on the mantle. Both we are likely to see a return on our investment on (unless Bereton runs down his contract which I don't see happening.) MacCarthy is seen as a good signing despite being a one season wonder so I imagine Bereton will be too. 

Of course there are some big differences. Of course we should make a profit on Bereton, albeit getting out money back for someone of MacCathy's age was a good return. Also what we should get for Bereton will be less due to another final year saga. One difference is that MacCarthy wasn't a huge outlay as in the majority of our budget, nor were there as many pressing issues in the team to be filled, either when recruited or when he left. All of these differences does make the Bereton situation a little less palitable and positive. 

But thought it was an interesting comparison as there aren't many players who bombed for most of their career with us and had one great season for Rovers. 

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Cool, so all he needs to do to impress you is score more goals than anybody has ever scored in a Championship season since 92/93.

The original stat was for league and international goals, at a ratio for the games played so far this season I did not quote the ratio, I just extrapolated it, to a full season.

4 hours ago, PotterLog said:

I think Tyrese Campbell is better but he’s coming back from the sort of long injury that can really fuck over a young player’s career. You’d be daft to consider swapping Ben at the moment. Jury’s still out on Surridge, he’s been ok but missed a few good chances too. Not a starter at the moment for me.

Campbell is quality and your best striker. 

Brereton is performing and improving game by game. 

on Sam Surridge, he is good striker and someone who will get better under Michael O'Neill

5 hours ago, rigger said:

Because I would, it is my preference of the type of striker I want. I am glad Diaz scored again, but having watched the game, he did very little else.

Who is Sam Sturridge ?

Sam Surridge is the Stoke Striker who they bought permanent from Bournemouth this summer. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

12 minutes ago, LordBaltimore said:

¿WTF?

you're entitled to your opinion.  even if it's a stupid one.

so latin american goalies suck....the goalie is short....the goalie crouched.....the goalie trimmed his nails that morning.......pff.  It was a great fucking goal, no if's and's or buts.

Both can be true. It was a good finish but the goalie probably should have stood up better, which is what the poster you quoted was saying

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

on Sam Sturridge, he is good striker and someone who will get better under Michael O'Neill

Sam Sturridge is the Stoke Striker who they bought permanent from Bournemouth this summer. 

S/he's being facetious, his name is Surridge without the T. Weirdly a T has appeared in my post even though I didn't put one in the original 😕

Crossing fingers for Campbell, he's been steady in the 23s so far. Will really make the difference for us if he can quickly get back to form and fitness.

25 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

on Sam Surridge, he is good striker and someone who will get better under Michael O'Neill

Sam Surridge is the Stoke Striker who they bought permanent from Bournemouth this summer. 

So you didn't mean Sam Sturridge.

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

so what do you like about Sam Surridge's game so much?

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

You knew what I meant Rigger. so why do you prefer Surridge over Brereton given his goalscoring record this season? 

Ball control, positioning, heading, strength, lack of diving.

Very rarely do I know what you mean from just reading your posts

Real Madrid legend claims Stokie Ben Brereton Díaz's shirt as goal streak continues

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ben-brereton-diaz-ivan-zamorano-6067048

1085614200_download(7).jpeg.b881914640e2cae9dd2075a543e16531.jpeg

Ben gifted his game jersey to chilean legend Iván Zamorano last night.  Bam Bam Zamorano was over the moon!  Next shirt for Marcelo Salas?  Another gesture that raises his stock even higher with fans.

Edited by LordBaltimore
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Who scoring goals and playing regularly? Brereton is the right man at the minute. Scoring, performing and improving. 

Surridge isn't even playing regularly at Stoke 

I think the only thing on that list Surridge hasn't been criticised for this season is positioning. He was getting slated on our board for diving for a penno a couple of games ago 😀

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LordBaltimore said:

Real Madrid legend claims Stokie Ben Brereton Díaz's shirt as goal streak continues

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ben-brereton-diaz-ivan-zamorano-6067048

1085614200_download(7).jpeg.b881914640e2cae9dd2075a543e16531.jpeg

Ben gifted his game jersey to chilean legend Iván Zamorano last night.  Bam Bam Zamorano was over the moon!  Next shirt for Marcelo Salas?  Another gesture that raises his stock even higher with fans.

Huh, so he didn't give it to this guy then... I wonder if it was the same deal...236527817_Screenshot_20211015-182257_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.339478048fdd1ebc272c00ba757a1279.jpg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, PotterLog said:

I think the only thing on that list Surridge hasn't been criticised for this season is positioning. He was getting slated on our board for diving for a penno a couple of games ago 😀

I don’t think rigger has watched much of Surridge to be honest, just has a strange dislike for Brereton.

Would probably claim he’d rather have Vokes if he was still playing for you 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kie_BRFC said:

I don’t think rigger has watched much of Surridge to be honest, just has a strange dislike for Brereton.

Would probably claim he’d rather have Vokes if he was still playing for you 

It is not that I dislike Brereton, it is just that I don't think he is the star some people think. Again for the sake of the club I have supported since 1968 I hope he proves me wrong over a full season. I'll tell you who I would prefer up front for us, and that is Sam Burns.    

Edited by rigger

49 minutes ago, rigger said:

It is not that I dislike Brereton, it is just that I don't think he is the star some people think. Again for the sake of the club I have supported since 1968 I hope he proves me wrong over a full season. I'll tell you who I would prefer up front for us, and that is Sam Burns.    

When Brererton was Sam Burns age he had 50 appearances in the Championship already under his belt.

From what I have seen Burns does look a prospect but Brererton has 10 goals and an assist already to his name this season and Burns has never played a game at senior level, how can the two be compared

• Like 1

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

When Brererton was Sam Burns age he had 50 appearances in the Championship already under his belt.

From what I have seen Burns does look a prospect but Brererton has 10 goals and an assist already to his name this season and Burns has never played a game at senior level, how can the two be compared

I have seen both play, and I prefer Burns. I am not saying who will have the best career in football. Just who I prefer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rigger said:

I have seen both play, and I prefer Burns. I am not saying who will have the best career in football. Just who I prefer.

Fair enough but at kids level is my point though.Like I agree he looks a good prospect but until he gets an opportunity we won't know.Well you would presume whoever has the better career will be the better player.

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

Fair enough but at kids level is my point though.Like I agree he looks a good prospect but until he gets an opportunity we won't know.Well you would presume whoever has the better career will be the better player.

I think calling the U23s kids level, is a bit patronising.

5 hours ago, PeteJD13 said:

i believe the club did prior to the copa America, he probably has his eyes set a lot higher now suspect he'll be off in Jan, with Nyambe and Rothwell 

No way he leaves in January...that would allow us to get too much in return.  He will be sold in Summer after we exercise the club option, ensuring we get 60% of his value and not a pound more than we paid form him.  

I have read several places that Ben's performances have also been watched by many in Spain, specifically in Seville.  Here is an article from Spain regarding Spanish interest in BBD.

Ben Brereton Díaz, preparing to make a jump to Champion's League-bound Sevilla FC

https://www.estadiodeportivo.com/sevilla/2021/10/15/posible-once-sevilla-celta/360004.html

• Backroom
16 minutes ago, LordBaltimore said:

I have read several places that Ben's performances have also been watched by many in Spain, specifically in Seville.  Here is an article from Spain regarding Spanish interest in BBD.

Ben Brereton Díaz, preparing to make a jump to Champion's League-bound Sevilla FC

https://www.estadiodeportivo.com/sevilla/2021/10/15/posible-once-sevilla-celta/360004.html

Spain would make perfect sense for Ben I just realised. 

If he's potentially going to play for Chile the next 10 years he'll want to get fluent in the language. 

Hadn't thought of that before. 

Could well be where he'd want to go. 

• Like 3