BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

1 minute ago, Sparks Rover said:

He isn't a great defensive manager, and he's a dingle.  My choice is Pearson and quick.  With a decent transfer window it wouldnt be too late for this seasons play offs.

Paul Cook was a tongue in cheek suggestion for the all things Burnley loving @chaddyrovers!  Having said that, I think he's streets ahead of Mowbray!

I think Pearson would be like a breath of fresh air.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Paul Cook is available and would get us up! 

Dingle alert

9 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Paul Cook was a tongue in cheek suggestion for the all things Burnley loving @chaddyrovers!  Having said that, I think he's streets ahead of Mowbray!

I think Pearson would be like a breath of fresh air.

Either of them have connections to HSH agency? 

57 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Chaddy, you are losing your credibility in arguing about days as opposed to years.

Just finishing off a Barolo then off to bed.

As someone who likes a red wine, but is a cheap date is that a fancy 'more than £7' wine? I'm the sort who'd rather go on a mission with your Aldi Toro Loco (which is actually pretty good) and save the expensive stuff for special occasions like Rovers or Coventry RFU getting into the top division.

Oh, and if you like gin, Roku is really good. All this is away from the point that Mowbray should be thanked but binned as he lacks that extra 15% to get us promoted, but consumer information is important.

3 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

As someone who likes a red wine, but is a cheap date is that a fancy 'more than £7' wine? I'm the sort who'd rather go on a mission with your Aldi Toro Loco (which is actually pretty good) and save the expensive stuff for special occasions like Rovers or Coventry RFU getting into the top division.

Oh, and if you like gin, Roku is really good. All this is away from the point that Mowbray should be thanked but binned as he lacks that extra 15% to get us promoted, but consumer information is important.

Yep, Aldi wines are pretty good vfm and it's noticeable they are pushing out the boundaries in terms of their range on wines / spirits and beginning to venture into some of the more 'premium' (relative for Aldi) lines.

Love the Roku and rounded off perfectly with a ginger garnish!

Beverages much more interesting than Mowbray's Rovers at the moment!

13 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Yep, Aldi wines are pretty good vfm and it's noticeable they are pushing out the boundaries in terms of their range on wines / spirits and beginning to venture into some of the more 'premium' (relative for Aldi) lines.

Love the Roku and rounded off perfectly with a ginger garnish!

Beverages much more interesting than Mowbray's Rovers at the moment!

I love a decent bottle of red Mercer, having lived in between Cahors and Bordeaux for 10 years, it's hardly surprising! Unfortunately it doesn't like me, gives me horrendous gout, so I haven't touched a drop for over 5 years and haven't had any gout since either

I'm partial these days to Provence rosé, Sancerre, Chablis or any other Borgougne whites which tend to be a touch less expensive.

By the way, could you predict Huddersfield Town to win by a cricket score on 29 December? 😉🤣🤣

Edited by darrenrover
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, darrenrover said:

I love a decent bottle of red Mercer, having lived in between Cahors and Bordeaux for 10 years, it's hardly surprising! Unfortunately it doesn't like me, gives me horrendous gout, so I haven't touched a drop for over 5 years and haven't had any gout since either

I'm partial to Provence rosé, Sancerre, Chablis or any other Borgougne whites which tend to be a touch less expensive.

By the way, could you predict Huddersfield Town to win by a cricket score on 29 December? 😉🤣🤣

Eat lots of cherries and drink lots of water and should mitigate your gout!

Love Sancerre and Chablis and there will be a few bottles on the table to go with our Christmas Day turkey!

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Hahaha are you on the wind up? 

You literally just follow the way the waters going. 

Mowbray is an awful awful manager.

Dont do wind up RoversClitheroe and that's a type of comment that's happens when you dont accept other people views cos they are very different from yours. 

Mowbray isn't an awful manager at all. I and many others are more than happy to back him and give us this season. 

4 hours ago, nuttyrover said:

No, it’s a fact that Mowbray is our most successful manager. Just look at his overall win percentage and ppg.

Bowyer finished 8th and 2pts shy of the playoffs at one point. No one would’ve expected that of him. 

Oh the cushion of his Third Division stats.

Bowyer - True ...... with the squad he had promotion was expected.

There are those of us blessed with a memory greater than that of a Goldfish

• Like 3

Everyone will get there in terms of realising that Mowbray isn't the man to take us up. Some just take longer than others. 

A cursory look at the Championship table on Dec 20th 2018 had us on 29 points, 5 points off the play offs. Fast forward to today and we sit on 28 points, 5 points off the play offs. 

Can't get more damning than that. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Dont do wind up RoversClitheroe and that's a type of comment that's happens when you dont accept other people views cos they are very different from yours. 

Mowbray isn't an awful manager at all. I and many others are more than happy to back him and give us this season. 

Mods, can this please be 'pinned', as a specific reference point, in order that it may be used as future evidence?

Ta.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Everyone will get there in terms of realising that Mowbray isn't the man to take us up. Some just take longer than others. 

A cursory look at the Championship table on Dec 20th 2018 had us on 29 points, 5 points off the play offs. Fast forward to today and we sit on 28 points, 5 points off the play offs. 

Can't get more damning than that. 

Yes that's it. We are at the limit of his capabilities here and I'm afraid that comes back to his principles and tactics. Unless you've an exceptional group of players like Fulham or a world class coach like Leeds you aren't getting out of this division playing football, as the clued up managers and sides will just pick us off.

If we had sold people like Dack and Armstrong and adopted a policy of balancing the books then there'd be an argument that standing still would be a decent outcome. But to select that route as a club I would expect the books to be balanced and the debt to be manageable. As it is, and credit to the owners for this, we haven't sold players, we've given Mowbray healthy funds and time to follow his 'slow build' yet the real evidence - points, wins, league positions - suggests progress is non-existent.

Those who want to focus on style of play, possession, goals and number of passes are just falling for the diversionary tactics of Mowbray. 

As I said last night the biggest concern I have is that because the owners like him and he's built the club up around himself the chances of him being sacked are remote, and even if he was the knock on effect on the club would be substantial. It shouldn't be like that. So more likely is we will just limp along whilst having to sell our best players and the owners lose interest again (if they ever got it back after promotion). 

• Like 6

If we shouldn't sack TM because Venkys would hire someone worse then we are finished as a club for as far ahead as anyone can see.

On that basis, If TM keeps going till he's 90 and dies in harness then Venkys will appoint someone worse for the 500 still attending.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, slowmo said:

It does make a mockery of the reasoning behind the style change, though I do prefer the new . Agree with SG not working there. I think Dack can do well in a few positions , like Harvey. When Dack got injured my hopes for that season went , he was that important. We have found a way to play without him,  but getting him back should be a game changer. Even now we aren't being out classed by any team , just aren't being clued up and being native. The injury list doesn't help with a settled defence and understanding, was that 9 unavailable today.

The defense yesterday was only missing one and we were against the least ambitious side in the league attack wise. The stats all stack up for most against Stoke, a horrible side.

On the Dack issue if we look back to league 1 and beyond the best was usually got out of him by linking up with DG.  That option has gone now and although he is a good player i don't follow the train of thought he can slot in anywhere a be as effective. 

Don't recall a lot of evidence that worked as well as the old method but nevertheless he'll be a handy weapon when fit. Like last season though too many are pinning too much on his return. He won't single handedly turn the season around i don't think, he'll need time to get back to speed etc.

Despite those unavailable the squad he still has should be capable of doing better than 1 win in 5.  My point is TMs methods remain the same whether 15 or 25 are available.

12 minutes ago, pick32 said:

Eddie Howe for me

The Mowbray brigade on Facebook and Twitter shoot down every single suggestion on those forums, I kid you not, with a million and one reasons as to why we shouldn’t go for them, or they wouldn’t come to little old Rovers. One lad yesterday on Twitter responsed to the suggestion of Howe: ‘not for me, didn’t do well enough with that Bournemouth squad.’ 

Let’s forget that he took them from the 4th tier to the Premier League and kept them there for 4 seasons then. Honestly, what’s the point in even trying to reason with people like that.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, nuttyrover said:

No, it’s a fact that Mowbray is our most successful manager. Just look at his overall win percentage and ppg.

Only because he took us down. In the Championship Bowyer achieved 1.4 PPG. He also finished higher in the league twice than Mowbray has with us and unlike Mowbray he kept us up originally. Mowbray in the Championship has a PPG of 1.36. Mowbray 'success' has come in League 1 which is perhaps rather telling about his level as a manager.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ewood Ace said:

Only because he took us down. In the Championship Bowyer achieved 1.4 PPG. He also finished higher in the league twice than Mowbray has with us and unlike Mowbray he kept us up originally. Mowbray in the Championship has a PPG of 1.36. Mowbray 'success' has come in League 1 which is perhaps rather telling about his level as a manager.

He could become the Warnock of League One, just gets teams promoted. Problem is he doesn't have the self awareness that Warnock does to realise his level and stick to it. And actually Mowbray would need the best squad and biggest budget to get the team out of League One. OK, terrible idea. 

• Like 2

Maybe a statto would know this, but are we the most impotent offensive team from set-pieces in the league? Corners and even frees are just pointless. We have maybe 2 that can win a header, Ayala and occasionaly Johnson. Lenihan unable to anymore it seems. 

I think the opposition have figured us out to be honest. The opposition managers always praise certain aspects, but they know deep down that we are very soft. 

Travis and Dack have fight in them, I'm just worried now that they are going to be coming into a team that's playing too much catch up. 

The Rotherham game, the throw in we won where nobody would get the ball, including Mowbray. Do ye remember this? It was unbelievable to me to be honest. 

In normal circumstances a loss to Wednesday next week would probably seal a manages faith ,in our position. It's not happening though and hopefully we do win! 

• Like 1