BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

As people have posted, the real issue in all of this is the owners. Nothing will fundamentally change for the better until they leave or have an unlikely, miraculous change of tact in how the club is run.

The immediate problem to hand though, is our manager. He needs replacing right now, even if that's just a sticking plaster over the whole thing.

Edited by Wheelton Blue

7 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

As people have posted, the real issue in all of this is the owners. Nothing will fundamentally change for the better until they leave or have an umlikely, miraculous change of tact in how the club is run.

The immediate problem to hand though, is our manager. He needs replacing right now, even if that's just a sticking plaster over the whole thing.

I kind of disagree. A good manager given the time and money Mowbray has would have us comfortably competing for promotion. The time part being key. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

As people have posted, the real issue in all of this is the owners. Nothing will fundamentally change for the better until they leave or have an umlikely, miraculous change of tact in how the club is run.

The best hope right now is to strike lucky with a manager. I can’t see any other way. We either get lucky or the club falls into the abyss.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I kind of disagree. A good manager given the time and money Mowbray has would have us comfortably competing for promotion. The time part being key. 

Mowbray should have done far better with the resources afforded to him, that's for sure. He's a poor manager.

The fact that Mowbray and Waggott are still here though, and seemingly not leaving any time soon, is on the owners.

28 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The owners need to sack Mowbray, Venus and Lowe today. Appoint Damien Johnson as caretaker manager for Sheffield United game. 

Then speak to 3 or 4 managers and then pick your preferred choice. I see 3 good candidates for the job if we had a vacancy who are Gareth Ainsworth, Chris Wilder and Alex Neil. 

Wishful thinking Chaddy. He’s not going anywhere. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Well,  I've been partially supportive of the owners recently because I do think they've shown tremendous financial commitment to the Club over the last ten years or so and never more so than recently in the aftermath of the pandemic.

I was however appalled when Mowbray was not sacked at the back end of last season after amongst other things:

- delivering the 3rd worst run over a 16 game period in our 145 year history.

-- saying he didn't bother looking at the table

- and taking off our RB during a game, replacing him with a CF then changing said CF for a CH ten minutes later.

Then there's the scandal of our best players all being allowed to run their contracts down. A proper manager and CEO would have prioritised resources to protect the Club's most valuable assets and would have sacrificed some of the less valuable ones.

There's surely little chance now of anyone signing anything unless Mowbray and his motley assortment of deadbeats on the bench are sacked. Rothwell's face when he was as usual hauled off last night shortly after the hour mark was an absolute picture.

The reason I was so adamant Mowbray had to go last season was that this one would be (at best) wasted if he stayed. Exactly the same scenario applies to next season if he is allowed to see this one out - there's a good chance that will be wasted as well unless someone can transform us more or less overnight.

It has been left far too long to sack him already but it's never too late to try and bring about some improvement by getting rid now as opposed to exacerbating the situation by leaving him in situ 

I and several other have heard hints of relatively impressive sounding plans to transform the future of the Club over the next few years. I'm prepared to take those apparent good intentions at face value at this stage but unfortunately that doesn't square with the inertia where Waggott, Mowbray and his coaching staff are concerned.

He should have gone last season but didn't and we're going to pay for it with several more results of this ilk I fear, along with theoretically valuable players leaving for next to nothing.

Just as Mowbray has knackered up the efforts of the Commercial Department to drum up a bit of interest in the Club with the Sheff Utd promotion thanks to last night's shambles, so he will knacker up any good intentions the owners may have for the medium term if allowed to remain in his post.

And, unfortunately,even for me it will become increasingly difficult to believe in the veracity of the owners motives if he and Waggott are not removed. We can't succeed with them in situ no matter how much money the owners pump in in good faith.

If the owners are genuinely serious about reviving our fortunes Waggott and Mowbray HAVE to go. And quickly.

How much better would the 146 year "celebrations" had been had they coincided with the unveiling of (say) Hughes or Wilder, Tom Finn, a proficient coaching staff and the the promise of a new era?

Every day Mowbray and Co remain in their posts is another day wasted, and more fans potentially lost forever.

Great post Rev.  I have to echo most if that, he needed to be gone last season, he would have been anywhere else.  It's almost as if he is trying to see how low he can go.  The damage done by him and his mates is far reaching and deep rooted and will take a long time with a very good manager, CEO.and support staff tondig us out of.  I fear for our immediate future.  Just how as he got away with spunking SEVEN MILLION on an "investment" then ignoring it to where it can walk away to next to nothing.  Sackable for just that.

• Like 2

End of the day, he didn’t go anywhere in the midst of that horror run last season, when even TM himself was as good as begging to be put out of his misery.

So there’s not a chance he goes with us a few points from the play offs, though we know the 2 points away will soon be 4 then 6 then 8…

He’ll be here to see out his contract… and it’s not out of the realms that he’s offered another.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, booth said:

The best hope right now is to strike lucky with a manager. I can’t see any other way. We either get lucky or the club falls into the abyss.

The clubs already in the abyss booth, a new manager, even a lucky one, can't work with no footballing people to support him, no scouting network, staff leaving for glamour clubs like Salford City, no funding to pay contracts, not money for even the poorest loan signings, a refusal to engage, the place is a dysfunctional cabal. 

Venkys out.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The owners need to sack Mowbray, Venus and Lowe today. Appoint Damien Johnson as caretaker manager for Sheffield United game. 

Then speak to 3 or 4 managers and then pick your preferred choice. I see 3 good candidates for the job if we had a vacancy who are Gareth Ainsworth, Chris Wilder and Alex Neil. 

They don't listen Chaddy,our Owners have little interest,we are a side show to their Chicken and Pharmaceutical business.

We can't communicate with them and they won't sell the Club.

We're Royally fooked!

• Like 1

I would go for 

Roy Keane

Wilder 

or Hughes, even though I typically think it rarely works out when a manager goes back

They asked Downing what do you think Mowbray is saying to them after the game and his response was something like "He wont be saying much. He will leave it until tomorrow". I would love to see what Keano would go in and say to them after that performance. A few home truths would be ringing in certain players ears this morning.

13 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Out of all the managers that have paraded through during this nightmare reign, the one I wish (in hindsight) had been given the time is Appleton, we might have hot somewhere under him.

Very good point, an acquaintance of mine works with his sister. When he got the job he was over the moon, and had a proper and I mean proper, project and vision for the club moving forward. He was proud to be rovers manager and was absolutely gutted when he got the chop. However he always wished the club well, shows the level of the man.

Edited by AAK
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would go for 

Roy Keane

Wilder 

or Hughes, even though I typically think it rarely works out when a manager goes back

They asked Downing what do you think Mowbray is saying to them after the game and his response was something like "He wont be saying much. He will leave it until tomorrow". I would love to see what Keano would go in and say to them after that performance. A few home truths would be ringing in certain players ears this morning.

Oh how I wish the highlighted statement read : He will leave tomorrow.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

Paul Lambert had the same, I felt at the time he was better than we could have hoped for (Under a transfer embargo due to FFP) with the the money the club was offering to pay prospective managers and the shit show they're coming into.

Lambert soon realised that the club was a mess, the owners refused to engage on contract renewals, the transfer budget was slashed to nothing when we came out of FFP, the project he presented in his interview wasn't achievable and he walked away.

Mowbray is just another symptom, Venkys are the disease. 

Forgot all about, Lambert, damn. Good shout though. 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yep that would be my plan. Three solid candidates would be all over the job.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would go for 

Roy Keane

Wilder 

Yes, downing caveated that they were young...🤷‍♂️ so shouldn't be getting a bollocking. I'd have thought that's exactly when they should be getting one....carthorse turning his back was an issue for me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yes, downing caveated that they were young...🤷‍♂️ so shouldn't be getting a bollocking. I'd have thought that's exactly when they should be getting one....carthorse turning his back was an issue for me.

He attempted a cowardly and stupid block for one and twice he was turned the wrong way, no idea where the ball was when the striker who came on for Mitrovic scored. 

Honestly it looked like they were stuck and asked someone from the crowd if they could fill in. He looked more out of his depth than Magloire, albeit against better opposition.

I'm not sure we have one player who is or ever will be PL quality 

• Like 2

He attempted a cowardly and stupid block for one and twice he was turned the wrong way, no idea where the ball was when the striker who came on for Mitrovic scored. 

Honestly it looked like they were stuck and asked someone from the crowd if they could fill in. He looked more out of his depth than Magloire, albeit against better opposition.

I'm not sure we have one player who is or ever will be PL quality 

I would disagree, Magloire is much worse. But Carter is miles off the standard too. Van Hecke is crap aswell.

Hopefully we have at least 2 available of Lenihan, Ayala and Wharton going forward.

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Absolutely crazy that some people still seem in denial as to where all of our problems stem from.

Not really a battle worth fighting. Pointless actually. It's a culmination of things and we are entitled to discuss them individually. 

The owners suck

The manager has been given time that others could only dream of and he sucks too 

• Like 5

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I would disagree, Magloire is much worse. But Carter is miles off the standard too. Van Hecke is crap aswell.

Hopefully we have at least 2 available of Lenihan, Ayala and Wharton going forward.

Carter did look more out of depth last night, albeit against better opposition. Not sure how you would disagree with that. He was to blame for at least 3 and literally didnt put a foot right. He had as bad a game as I recall a defender having in a Rovers shirt, since Magloire.

Carter is League 1 standard and Magloire maybe first division in Scotland 

Not really a battle worth fighting. Pointless actually. It's a culmination of things and we are entitled to discuss them individually. 

The owners suck

The manager has been given time that others could only dream of and he sucks too 

The manager should have been sacked 18 months ago. But if he left today, he hasn't really caused much damage in that we are in a slightly better position than when he came.

Venkys have caused untold, continuous damage, and is another symptom that stems from India. They don't care about the club, so they just allow him to crack on even whilst he underperforms, hence why he is a symptom, the root cause is Venkys, always has been, always will be.

It is more that I find it utterly baffling that people actively defend the owners even now.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Carter did look more out of depth last night, albeit against better opposition. Not sure how you would disagree with that. He was to blame for at least 3 and literally didnt put a foot right. He had as bad a game as I recall a defender having in a Rovers shirt, since Magloire.

Carter is League 1 standard and Magloire maybe first division in Scotland 

Carter was crap, I suppose coming into a game against Fulham who were 2 up and a man up is difficult, but he wasn't very good, and to be honest hasn't really convinced me in any game that he has played for the first team, he did ok at Forest away as a stand in right back but otherwise he has been very shaky, even after a loan spell at Burton in which he apparently did brilliantly in.

But as I said in the Fulham thread, no outfield player was over 2 out of 10. Unsure if you watched the Huddersfield game when Magloire came on and the Blackpool game in which he started, I watched the former on TV and was at the latter, and in 2 other poor team performances, Magloire still stood out (in a bad way) amidst that all, he was horrendous.