BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Useless. I'm genuinely embarrassed to be Blackburn Rovers fan with Mowbray in charge. All my mates now taking the piss too.

Thats a massive overreaction. Understandable emotionally driven frustration, but embarassed? Behave.

26 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Avoided this place during the poor form because I got tired of being one of the few contrary voices.

Call me an idiot (almost feel like one with how shit some of this has been) but I still am happy for him to stay.

Reason?

The owners and pretty much every single thing since they came in.

The rebuild job TM has done - 

The solidity, the stability, the focus on youth and sustainability, the integration of the academy, the INTEGRITY, and the squad that he has assembled (and PLEASE check our net spend I’m sick of hearing he’s had bucket loads of cash for our level)

We know that it is easily lost.

It is easily thrown away.

Are there even any solid suggestions for a successor?

I trust TM. He might not be the most exciting, or some tactical genius that can piss the championship (no one is). 

But at least it’s about the football with him.

Lots to lose.

But still a dice that is hot in the hand and tempting to throw right now.

Most of those reasons are just buzzwords.

The net spend is more than competitive, over 15m. Are we going forward, is there a plan or do his tactics and subs resemble chaos?

If the main reason to stick is fear then thats not one that paints the manager in a favourable light and surely is one that will never ever change.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ghost7 said:

So we should forever accept mediocracy and underachievement because of a greater fear instilled by our owner's that "things could be a lot worse"? This seems to be largely the reason some fans have left for keeping Mowbray in charge. It's definitely not an idea you should have to get behind as a football fan.

You seem to be looking at it from the “We are and should easily be a PL team” side of things...

Whereas I look at it as “We were in L1 and looked like we were sinking further”

In context of the other clubs in this league, how competitive it is, and the complete clusterfuck he inherited...

Are we underachieving? Really?

I’ll have a better idea at the end of the season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Mowbray apologists, question for you:

Is there any truth in the rumour that you do split shifts?

1. Statistical analysis

2. Social Media coverage

Now justify yourselves.

WE ARE ROVERS diehards, BRFC means everything to us. Just do the honourable thing and disappear from whence you came, you parasites.

You can earn £2 an hour elsewhere.

I dont do any statistical analysis or social media on Rovers.

I got a season ticket this season knowing unlikely i will get to go to a game. 

I know we aren't playing well, I am annoyed as you, I just dont mind him seeing season out and changing in summer.

If that makes me a parasite then okay mate. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

The rebuild job TM has done - 

The solidity, the stability, the focus on youth and sustainability, the integration of the academy, the INTEGRITY, and the squad that he has assembled (and PLEASE check our net spend I’m sick of hearing he’s had bucket loads of cash for our level)

We've got one striker worth anything, around 1000 midfielders and a consistently terrible defense.

32 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

(and PLEASE check our net spend I’m sick of hearing he’s had bucket loads of cash for our level)

Of the teams in the Championship this season we have one of the highest over the last 3 seasons. We are one of the few who have spent more than we have brought in.

6 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Mowbray says Rovers were unrecognisable in Preston defeat | Lancashire Telegraph

“The team know the way we play, they know the expectations of the club and the manager, they have to go out and do it and they didn’t for long spells,” the manager said.

“The second half, the last half an hour anyway, was much of a team that I recognise, but I can’t accept watching and being a manager of a team that plays in the way that we did in the first half.  It’s not on and what we’re about and hasn’t been this season. That was my frustration with them.”

That quote sums up his character. We've played like that most of the season, especially 1st half as the stats prove. To say otherwise confirms he's an incredibly disingenuous individual, the total opposite of someone who is honest and trustworthy. 

Feels like an angry man with that quote and rightly so. And then you remember he sat on his arse for the full duration and never once showed an ounce of passion and realise it's all for show.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, S8 & Blue said:

You seem to be looking at it from the “We are and should easily be a PL team” side of things...

Whereas I look at it as “We were in L1 and looked like we were sinking further”

In context of the other clubs in this league, how competitive it is, and the complete clusterfuck he inherited...

Are we underachieving? Really?

I’ll have a better idea at the end of the season.

It's more like we should at least be challenging for the play offs with the squad. I don't see anyone saying we should be at the top of the league with the squad we have.

1 minute ago, Wood26 said:

I dont do any statistical analysis or social media on Rovers.

I got a season ticket this season knowing unlikely i will get to go to a game. 

I know we aren't playing well, I am annoyed as you, I just dont mind him seeing season out and changing in summer.

If that makes me a parasite then okay mate. 

Who pointed a finger at you specifically? I certainly didn't MATE.

You know what they say about the cap fitting though, eh!?

Just now, LDRover said:

Feels like an angry man with that quote and rightly so. And then you remember he sat on his arse for the full duration and never once showed an ounce of passion and realise it's all for show.

Just like the 'anger' when he said defenders were coming in front of those fans. It's all bullshit, it's all for show. Once you see through it, it can't be unseen. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's all just words when action is required. Do you think they'll be in for extra training tomorrow morning ?

Their training sounds like a farce anyway. He won't train indoors on an artificial pitch? How does he conduct training on the coldest week since 1995 when at the actual match he was frozen to his seat. Does he sit there like that in training?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wood26 said:

Agreed performances are not good. I dont think someone new will come in and get us up this season, so happy to wait until summer.

Even if we did go up, look at the state of us, the team would get murdered unless heavy investment.

So what?  £180m for1i season in the PL and parachute payment. Goes a long way to making a dent in the money that's been put into this club.

Someone new coming in usually does get a bounce in results.

@SB&Blue You really are a condescending patronising oink. Mowbray brought in to save our championship status -failed. Back at the first attempt despite Mowbray not because of him.

People on here are posting on the evidence of their eyes not being disrespectful. It's not our job to name a successor. We've no say in it. The way it should work is the new manager is approached and offered a contract. He signs and team Mowbray is shown the door. For all we know, people have been approached and turned us down.

To me , that team starting was the best available on paper. Certainly playing in my preferred formation.

We got hit on the counter and from a set piece. That is down to Mowbray. have to practise those two until it becomes instinct. Our speed merchant defender is out on loan. Whose bright idea was that?

The only young player on the pitch whom Mowbray brought through our youth ranks was Travis. Branthwaite, THB, Douglas and Elliott are loanees who have to play each week. Dolan and Davenport weren't ours. Mowbray is on record as saying you can't build a team based on loanees and free agents. Yet here he is doing what he said you shouldn't do. That's the opposite of integrity.

I never say anything nice about Venkys. So, even if the owners have what's posted on this board, they aren't likely to listen to anything I have to say. They won't. Venkys are said to be smart business people. I think everyone here wants out team to make money for our owners. I can prefer other owners, but I do want this team to make a return on the money invested. The only way that is going to happen is in the Premier League. The only way that's going to happen is to change manager, now with 18 games remaining.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Put it this way. Not even Coyle or he who should not be named ever played a centre forward at right back. Just saying. 

To clarify I am not saying he is as bad as them but when he makes errors they don't you worry about his competence. 

Can't remember many managers allowing players to decide whether they are fit. 

Look at Buckley also being right back. Elliott as a false 9. These are all mistakes an 11 year old wouldn't make.

I've seen hundreds of line ups on this board from those who hugely support the manager to those who are perhaps never happy. And never once has any of these players in these positions been suggested. What does that say about the manager? Are we all wrong or is it so stupid that no one else would do it? 

It's a clear sign he has lost the plot. Whatever he has or hasn't done these kind of decisions show he has run his term. 

Agree I’m baffled sometimes.

11 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Hitler did a great job as far as Germany was concerned in the late 30s, bloody think about it!

Offensive, stupid, bullshit.

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Thats a massive overreaction. Understandable emotionally driven frustration, but embarassed? Behave.

Most of those reasons are just buzzwords.

The net spend is more than competitive, over 15m. Are we going forward, is there a plan or do his tactics and subs resemble chaos?

If the main reason to stick is fear then thats not one that paints the manager in a favourable light and surely is one that will never ever change.

Not the main reason at all, but it’s a big reason.

5 minutes ago, booth said:

We've got one striker worth anything, around 1000 midfielders and a consistently terrible defense.

So we do overrate the squad? Is he underachieving with what he had or has he built a shit squad? Get your stories straight lads.

3 minutes ago, booth said:

It's more like we should at least be challenging for the play offs with the squad. I don't see anyone saying we should be at the top of the league with the squad we have.

Agree, we should expect relatively to be there or thereabouts. I think we might be still, so no pitchforks here.

About 15 teams “expect” this each season btw.

1 minute ago, darrenrover said:

Answered your own question there, wouldn't you say?

Well, no. I’m reading many opposing viewpoints without resorting to calling anyone a shill. Absolute dunce.

• Like 2

I have always liked TM and still do. We are in a better place than when he took over. He has assembled a very decent squad (on paper). However, we have stagnated and he seems to have totally lost the plot lately. What on earth was going on out there tonight? Its really quite a failing to make such a talented squad look so hopeless. I hope he leaves soon and preserves his good reputation with the fans. It would be a shame for it to go sour. It is testament to the job he has done that the manager job at Rovers is an attractive proposition now. Any replacement manager has a great squad to work with and the club are a lot more stable now. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, S8 & Blue said:

Agree I’m baffled sometimes.

Offensive, stupid, bullshit.

Not the main reason at all, but it’s a big reason.

So we do overrate the squad? Is he underachieving with what he had or has he built a shit squad? Get your stories straight lads.

Agree, we should expect relatively to be there or thereabouts. I think we might be still, so no pitchforks here.

About 15 teams “expect” this each season btw.

Well, no. I’m reading many opposing viewpoints without resorting to calling anyone a shill. Absolute dunce.

You're entitled to your opinion as I am mine. They are exact polar opposites but not to worry.

I'll leave it there, for now!

2 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

To me , that team starting was the best available on paper. Certainly playing in my preferred formation.

We got hit on the counter and from a set piece. That is down to Mowbray. have to practise those two until it becomes instinct. Our speed merchant defender is out on loan. Whose bright idea was that?

Isn't that the players fault? You agree with formation and team. They clearly practice defending corners, but how much can Mowbray really say? Its the player who didn't win the header. Same with first goal, out of Mowbray control. 

Like QPR, Mowbray stuck Armstrong on their slug defender, it worked, he was all over him, but Elliott missed a sitter. Not Mowbray fault.

Why the players getting such a free ride?

11 minutes ago, rigger said:

You certainly passed the test.

I’m trying to open a BALANCED discussion. I like the man, appreciate what he has done, but think we are at a crossroads. If you just want post after post of “Mowbray is a moron” then I best stay away.

8 minutes ago, Gamst said:

I have always liked TM and still do. We are in a better place than when he took over.

Nope. Get out of here with that. If you don’t hate the man and think he is as bad as Kean then you are on the propaganda payroll.

Good post.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 2

Just now, Wood26 said:

Isn't that the players fault? You agree with formation and team. They clearly practice defending corners, but how much can Mowbray really say? Its the player who didn't win the header. Same with first goal, out of Mowbray control. 

Like QPR, Mowbray stuck Armstrong on their slug defender, it worked, he was all over him, but Elliott missed a sitter. Not Mowbray fault.

Mowbray has said the team doesn't practice defending set pieces. Teams overextend and get caught on the counter. Most teams practice the counter to a counter to try to mitigate the damage. Not Mowbray.

Elliott's job is provide goal scoring opportunities for Armstrong to put away. Elliott's not the one who should been in the goal scoring opportunity. Yes, it was Mowbray's fault.

The players go out there and execute Mowbray's game plan or he shouts at them. No shouting at the players tonight.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Mowbray says Rovers were unrecognisable in Preston defeat | Lancashire Telegraph

“The team know the way we play, they know the expectations of the club and the manager, they have to go out and do it and they didn’t for long spells,” the manager said.

“The second half, the last half an hour anyway, was much of a team that I recognise, but I can’t accept watching and being a manager of a team that plays in the way that we did in the first half.  It’s not on and what we’re about and hasn’t been this season. That was my frustration with them.”

That quote sums up his character. We've played like that most of the season, especially 1st half as the stats prove. To say otherwise confirms he's an incredibly disingenuous individual, the total opposite of someone who is honest and trustworthy. 

It's not just this season. He's managed us in 67 Championship home games and in 67 first halves we have scored just 31 goals. The year we went down it was awful first halves at home to the likes of Bristol City, Barnsley and Cardiff that in the end cost us that one extra point.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

I’m trying to open a BALANCED discussion. I like the man, appreciate what he has done, but think we are at a crossroads. If you just want post after post of “Mowbray is a moron” then I best stay away.

Nope. Get out of here with that. If you don’t hate the man and think he is as bad as Kean then you are on the propaganda payroll.

Good post.

Lots of balanced discussion to be had on here. But you're not really looking for it are you? 

Just now, Wood26 said:

Why does an orchestra need a conductor? Teams at work need supervising etc?

If a department or business is failing, who takes the rap? The toilet cleaner?