BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Reading v Rovers. March 2nd 2021, 8pm.

Venky's Blackburn Rovers Publishing House are proud to announce our new publication, "Around the Championship in 80 Years" by Tony Mowbray which will be released in May 2096. You will...

- Laugh as another striker is played out of position in 2047

- Cry with pain as Rovers lose yet another game to a team that scores more goals than us in 90 minutes and Honest Tony claims against all grasp on reality; "We deserved something from that" but "We gave it a right good go" and "We'll be fine when **INSERT RANDOM INJURED PLAYERS** return".

- Improve your numerical skills by counting along how many shots Adam Armstrong punts into the stands with your younger ones. For even younger readers, you may wish to count with them how many players line up in the wrong position at the start of the game or count how many midfielders Honest Tony throws on as substitutes at one time. Note: Children will need five fingers if they wish to count all the random substitutes at once.

- Look forward to the upcoming sequel, "Another 80 years doing absolutely fuck all in the Championship" which will be released in May 2176.

Here's to another 80 years doing sweet FA in the championship and talking about some journey rubbish or some such! 

Edited by TheRoversReturn
  • Like 9

The few who've said all along he's just after getting himself to his pension here are turning out to be correct.

Wonder if his kids are in an expensive private school or something and he's banking on being here till that finishes. He certainly seems to be getting ready to dig his heels right in and to hell with everybody else.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The few who've said all along he's just after getting himself to his pension here are turning out to be correct.

Wonder if his kids are in an expensive private school or something and he's banking on being here till that finishes. He certainly seems to be getting ready to dig his heels right in and to hell with everybody else.

At uni aren't they?

10 hours ago, TimmyJimmy said:

Brereton is a number 9 no question. In the crazy world of TM though we have him somewhere around the left wing.  Complementing the other insane selection of Gallagher on the other wing.  Perfectly logical (not) to stick your shortest slightest player as centre forward, but what do I know?

I've been banging on about horses for courses for ages now. We don't have 11 available players who are good enough to play Mowbray's system. Lack of skill, lack of fitness, lack of availability through injury it doesn't matter the cause, we don't have 11 of them so why stick to the same approach.

Rocket Science Alert - if we're leaking goals make the defenders defend and not spend most of their time in the oppositions box, they should be in and around our box locked into a solid defensive 4 that moves as one.

But that's just me. Brereton for centre forward.

Brereton might be the best option we have up there but that's another indictment of Mowbray. Brereton doesn't have the abilities of a traditional centre-forward eg heading.

However, anything is worth a try at the moment because the current line-up is impotent.

• Backroom
24 minutes ago, tomphil said:

No idea, maybe he's building a Villa somewhere then, big Sam style. 

Was it Samba that had a big house extension to fund whilst here? I seem to remember a story about it 

9 hours ago, Tom said:

Was it Samba that had a big house extension to fund whilst here? I seem to remember a story about it 

There was another rumour big Chris liked the roulette table a bit too much or something similar.

No idea if there was anything in it but i do know Barry Fergusons time here was linked with land deals also.

14 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

A player of his ilk would walk into our side right now. Always seemed to do well internationally too. Didn’t have much chance to make a good first impression on us playing for that clown.

Think I remember him stepping up and slotting away a penalty in front of the Kop (may be wrong)

the pointing was annoying though

I genuinely don't think he could walk into the current side - he's not better than Rothwell and Travis imo. I'd take Davenport over him too. 

I often go through that mental exercise / torture though - "Oh, remember that crap player we had in the Premier League? Yeah, he'd be the best player in our team now". 

Fun times...😭

11 hours ago, 47er said:

Brereton might be the best option we have up there but that's another indictment of Mowbray. Brereton doesn't have the abilities of a traditional centre-forward eg heading.

However, anything is worth a try at the moment because the current line-up is impotent.

He scored a cracking header against Blackpool in the pre-season. He's also been there for quite a few tap-ins, if teammates would pass. 

It wont' happen whilst golden boy Armstrong is still here, but he absolutely should get a run at CF. He's the best option we have in the squad. 

27 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He's the best option we have in the squad. 

You're right about that, thanks to Mowbray's priorities But I can't get impressed that he "scored a cracking header against Blackpool in the pre-season".

Team is trying out for a structure as opposed to players just being chucked in in the wrong positions and Armstrong badly needs a tall partner upfront to knock it down to him. But I seriously doubt we have anybody. Certainly give Brereton the chance, we have nothing to lose right now. its nightmare up there, no wonder we can't score.

11 hours ago, RoverInverness said:

In 4 years we have gone from 22nd in the Championship to 15th in the Championship and still not signed a permanent, effective, championship standard centre-back to partner Lenihan. 4 years later! In 4 fucking years we still haven’t sorted out the defence. 4 years! 

And despite spending £12M we still don't have a centre-forward.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I genuinely don't think he could walk into the current side - he's not better than Rothwell and Travis imo. I'd take Davenport over him too. 

I often go through that mental exercise / torture though - "Oh, remember that crap player we had in the Premier League? Yeah, he'd be the best player in our team now". 

Fun times...😭

Did far more in his career than any of them and unless the 3 of them buck up and start delivering regularly, they won't even get to play in the Premier League. 

Out of those 3 actually, how many of them do people think will play in the Premier League? 

Our wider team then, I think Nyambe will. Armstrong probably, although I don't think he will last long there.

I have a bit of a soft spot for Keith. He was good under Trapattoni. His role was very straightforward,run around and be a nuisance. Nothing fancy. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Did far more in his career than any of them and unless the 3 of them buck up and start delivering regularly, they won't even get to play in the Premier League. 

Out of those 3 actually, how many of them do people think will play in the Premier League? 

Our wider team then, I think Nyambe will. Armstrong probably, although I don't think he will last long there.

I have a bit of a soft spot for Keith. He was good under Trapattoni. His role was very straightforward,run around and be a nuisance. Nothing fancy. 

He wouldn't have got to the Premier League if it wasn't for Ince. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He was like a very low grade Robbie savage 

4 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He scored a cracking header against Blackpool in the pre-season. He's also been there for quite a few tap-ins, if teammates would pass. 

It wont' happen whilst golden boy Armstrong is still here, but he absolutely should get a run at CF. He's the best option we have in the squad. 

Should he? Would he be on 19 goals if he did? I think one of Brereton's biggest weaknesses is an inability to anticipate where the ball will fall, rarely getting between the posts, the amount of times a ball has been squared by Armstrong and there is no one in the space is infuriating.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

In 2011/12 he scored 9 goals in 19 starts when on loan at Ipswich in the Championship.

He scored a couple in the Premier League that season and scored for Ireland.

Can't imagine Rothwell, Travis or Davenport ever managing returns like that.