BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Norwich (a) - 20/3/21

2 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Starting to think Armstrong might be a bit of a bad apple 😕

Certainly wasn't missed today again and whilst we weren't as amazing as some have made out, we were certainly better against the best team in the league than against an awful Bristol team.

HB was far better than Lenihan IMO, although Lenihan played ok defensively his passing (long balls to Dolan) was awful.

Todd Cantwell is still an absolute nob on another note.

The front 3 that started today were as toothless as you could have wished to see. I hope we get more supposed bad apples.

• Like 1

Norwich were bang average and we just about matched them.

If Norwich are top dogs in the Championship with displays like that God help them next season in the PL.

It could be that I'm still in shock with Gallagher scoring a goal.

Anyone who thinks we dont need Armstrong is taking the rice.

4 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Norwich were bang average and we just about matched them.

If Norwich are top dogs in the Championship with displays like that God help them next season in the PL.

It could be that I'm still in shock with Gallagher scoring a goal.

Anyone who thinks we dont need Armstrong is taking the rice.

They needn't worry about the Prem, once they go up, I am sure that their manager will announce that they arent expected to compete and they will happily get relegated, defeating the point of the promotion, just like last time.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

They needn't worry about the Prem, once they go up, I am sure that their manager will announce that they arent expected to compete and they will happily get relegated, defeating the point of the promotion, just like last time.

Earns them a boatload of money.

• Like 1

“I think what jumps out at you is their quality in the final third as opposed to our quality in the final third," Mowbray said.

“Dolan, Brereton, Buckley, they’re young kids, they’ve got international footballers who played in the Premier League last year.

“We have players learning the game, there’s a difference in quality at the top end of the pitch, we understand that, but that’s what we are as a footballclub, trying to grow.”

What jumps out at me is two centre forwards bought to replace Danny Graham who lasted longer than expected. So he played one then the other out on the wing. And then Armstrong confuses things by scoring freely so he gets the #9 spot. No wonder Brereton  and Gallager have not got strikers boots on. 

There may be no option next season with Armstrong gone and no Dack for a while. 

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The front 3 that started today were as toothless as you could have wished to see. I hope we get more supposed bad apples.

Listen I'm not saying for one minute the front 3 were world beaters OR the future of the club. I'm saying its either coincidence or Armstrong and perhaps his greedy style, possibly a desire to play elsewhere, is having a negative impact.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

“I think what jumps out at you is their quality in the final third as opposed to our quality in the final third," Mowbray said.

“Dolan, Brereton, Buckley, they’re young kids, they’ve got international footballers who played in the Premier League last year.

“We have players learning the game, there’s a difference in quality at the top end of the pitch, we understand that, but that’s what we are as a footballclub, trying to grow.”

What jumps out at me is two centre forwards bought to replace Danny Graham who lasted longer than expected. So he played one then the other out on the wing. And then Armstrong confuses things by scoring freely so he gets the #9 spot. No wonder Brereton  and Gallager have not got strikers boots on. 

Just remind me... these are his players that he is calling kids [who aren’t good enough] right?

As Tom points out he has spent a lot of money on two players and a better manager could have brought in four or five better ones. At least better after some proper coaching.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Corry Evans was as good as anyone on the pitch finally playing in a role that suits him. Rankin Costello was impressive too although his lack of durability is a major concern.

Would you offer Evans a new contract? 

On Rankin-Costello's durability, he is coming back from a injury that kept him for while. Surely its better to be safe than sorry. He is still young and his body is growing. One thing is must and we must keep him here long term. Improving as right back game by game. 

31 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Sam Gallagher is at best a bottom of the Champonship standard striker, but that is much better than a frail midfielder playing in a totally uncomfortable position, replaced by more of the same. His goal came from a set piece whereby obviously his position was an irrelevance.

Gallagher will score goals when we put in good quality balls into the box. 

11 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

Just imagine if he played Gallagher and Armstrong has a front 2 we might score more goals. 

If Armstrong does leave for Brighton or Fulham then we need at least 1 probably 2 strikers. 

44 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We played really well and it was good to see. A well deserved point judge from the radio commentary. Very pleased Gallagher scored. Play him up front and good quality balls in he will score. 

Evans in front of back 4 worked. Most players had decent/good games. Douglas's positioning for their goal was poor. Pleased Pickering we come in next season. 

My questions are

1. Why haven't perform like this recently?(since PNE game)

2. This result should have no barely on Mowbray's future. 7 points from 12 games is appalling..

3. Is Holtby back in team one of the reason we performed so well today? 

4. Is Rankin-Costello any closer to signing a new contract? cos he was good today and in most games he played. He is one player who for this club we should be building around the squad around 

Holtby was very poor today

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Would you offer Evans a new contract? 

On Rankin-Costello's durability, he is coming back from a injury that kept him for while. Surely its better to be safe than sorry. He is still young and his body is growing. One thing is must and we must keep him here long term. Improving as right back game by game. 

Gallagher will score goals when we put in good quality balls into the box. 

Just imagine if he played Gallagher and Armstrong has a front 2 we might score more goals. 

If Armstrong does leave for Brighton or Fulham then we need at least 1 probably 2 strikers. 

No, I wouldnt offer Evans a new deal. Like Davenport, Ayala, Rankin Costello, Holtby etc, he is far too unreliable. Team full of sicknotes.

I would like to perhaps see him further forward, all of the starting front 3 looked out of their depth today, maybe it is worth trying Armstrong and Gallagher together centrally v Wycombe, with Rankin Costello in front of Nyambe. 

Do you still want and/or expect Mowbray to be gone by the Wycombe game?

2 minutes ago, Stuart said:

As Tom points out he has spent a lot of money on two players and a better manager could have brought in four or five better ones.

Some Managers could have used that entire money for squad rebuild not just 2 players. He wanted Luke Freeman before Brereton but it didn't happened supposedly cos the QPR manager McClaren threaten to walk out if he was sold. 

When we got promoted from League 1 he should have signed a proper centre back like Jake Cooper, John Egan, Konsa or Matt Clarke but he didnt. He went cheap option and went for Rodwell

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Boroblue said:

The problem ( one of many) in terms of managers you never know what they will do.

Did they not give Coyle the elbow after a great performance against Man Utd or am I imagining it.

Yep...Danny boy scored, then ManUre had to bring in Zlatan & Pogba to win it 

Edited by WacoRover

Today again showing we have good players who have underperformed this season.

JRC looks like a top drawer winger. Gallagher showing what he can do with a decent delivery when he is in the box. As much grief as I’ve give Lenihan over the last 12 months he showed he can defend today. Kaminski with some great saves.

When we did the simple things that come naturally to players, we look good. If we lost the stupid, stubborn insistence on playing people out of position to fit in this stupid system a while ago, a point today might have been an important one rather than being irrelevant.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No, I wouldnt offer Evans a new deal. Like Davenport, Ayala, Rankin Costello, Holtby etc, he is far too unreliable. Team full of sicknotes.

Very harsh again on Rankin-Costello IMO

I would like to perhaps see him further forward, all of the starting front 3 looked out of their depth today, maybe it is worth trying Armstrong and Gallagher together centrally v Wycombe, with Rankin Costello in front of Nyambe. 

So how are you playing? 4-4-2?

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Do you still want and/or expect Mowbray to be gone by the Wycombe game?

Today result whilst a good point against the League leaders doesn't change my opinion that we need a change of manager if we are to get promote or challenge for promotion. If Rovers are thinking of making a change of manager then hopefully we are in discuss with that manager and this is the right time now to do that with no games for 13 days and International break. Similar to what we did when we sacked Bowyer after Brentford home game on Monday night and Appointed Lambert a week later but already held discussions with him before appointing him. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

We played really well and it was good to see. A well deserved point judge from the radio commentary. Very pleased Gallagher scored. Play him up front and good quality balls in he will score. 

Evans in front of back 4 worked. Most players had decent/good games. Douglas's positioning for their goal was poor. Pleased Pickering we come in next season. 

My questions are

1. Why haven't perform like this recently?(since PNE game)

2. This result should have no barely on Mowbray's future. 7 points from 12 games is appalling..

3. Is Holtby back in team one of the reason we performed so well today? 

4. Is Rankin-Costello any closer to signing a new contract? cos he was good today and in most games he played. He is one player who for this club we should be building around the squad around 

1) For me, how we played today is pretty much how we have played recently. Apart from probably a bit more commitment today. The only other differences today were the standard of opposition, and the result. The latter was only better because Norwich didn't take one of the several chances they got to bury us.

2) Agreed 100%. His supporters are heralding it as proof of his capability though.

3) Holtby played the other day too, but he looked sloppy and unfit. Today he looked fitter and closer to his best. Has been inconsistent in his time at Rovers though, frustrating as he does have class on his day.

4)JRC kept flitting between doing excellent things and doing shite ones, especially first half. Overall he did well. What stands out though is that, whilst I prefer Nyambe overall, JRC is a better crosser. JRC's fitness needs to be more carefully managed than it is being, or we might never find out his potential. It's not like the person who can fill in for him isn't up to the task...

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Very harsh again on Rankin-Costello IMO

So how are you playing? 4-4-2?

Today result whilst a good point against the League leaders doesn't change my opinion that we need a change of manager if we are to get promote or challenge for promotion. If Rovers are thinking of making a change of manager then hopefully we are in discuss with that manager and this is the right time now to do that with no games for 13 days and International break. Similar to what we did when we sacked Bowyer after Brentford home game on Monday night and Appointed Lambert a week later but already held discussions with him before appointing him. 

Why is it harsh? He is injury prone. Doesnt say anything about him as a player but he picks up a lot of injuries and the manager has even said that his schedule may need monitoring because he is succeptible to injuries. 

Probably yeah, not sure who could play on the left though. Dolan and Brereton will do well to regain their places, neither offered anything.

Agree he needs to go but dont hold your breath.

Just now, bluebruce said:

1) For me, how we played today is pretty much how we have played recently. Apart from probably a bit more commitment today. The only other differences today were the standard of opposition, and the result. The latter was only better because Norwich didn't take one of the several chances they got to bury us.

2) Agreed 100%. His supporters are heralding it as proof of his capability though.

3) Holtby played the other day too, but he looked sloppy and unfit. Today he looked fitter and closer to his best. Has been inconsistent in his time at Rovers though, frustrating as he does have class on his day.

4)JRC kept flitting between doing excellent things and doing shite ones, especially first half. What stands out though is that, whilst I prefer Nyambe overall, JRC is a better crosser. JRC's fitness needs to be more carefully managed than it is being, or we might never find out his potential. It's not like the person who can fill in for him isn't up to the task...

Maybe Rankin Costello would have to cover less distance wide right than he is being expected to playing as such an attacking full back.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

If we played Gallagher as a centre forward, with JRC on the wing putting in crosses to him, I expect they have their days a lot more often.

I don't,  both poor.  Gally scores for once and then he's the answer.?...🙄. He's shit in the air too for the record....

Why is it harsh? He is injury prone. Doesnt say anything about him as a player but he picks up a lot of injuries and the manager has even said that his schedule may need monitoring because he is succeptible to injuries. 

Probably yeah, not sure who could play on the left though. Dolan and Brereton will do well to regain their places, neither offered anything.

Agree he needs to go but dont hold your breath.

Cos I think you are being over critical of him considering 14 months ago he was playing under 23's football. Think Mowbray should be already monitoring him considering the injuries he had so far. Trying to pass the buck again

I would play either Rothwell or Dolan if you want to 4-4-2. Think Rankin Costello has played very well at right back so not sure I would move him from there for Nyambe

Why?