BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Little being the operative word. He is under 5'5" which ordinarily wouldn't be a problem but in my view we have too many small players. Looking at West Brom on Saturday and reading lots of comments it's fair to say that their physicality will be a huge asset to them this season and could be the main factor in promotion.

A good big 'un is always better than a good small 'un!

The older members of this MB will remember little Johnny Price the winger who joined us from Stockport round about 1970.

Johnny was only 5 foot 3 inches but had the heart of a lion and would run through brick walls for the cause.  A very decent signing for Rovers at that time in our history.  Sadly, Johnny died in his fifties.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Lets not make things up Joe, I see no questions there.

There's quite literally a question in the first line of what you quoted mate, with a question mark to boot! I could go back through this topic and quote a bunch of "off-topic" things you've posted but that would be silly and pedantic. The conversation was short and I don't think you're a moderator? Anyway let's leave it, please, for the sake of both our sanity! 

Edited by JoeH

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thanks for sharing AAK. Look a good tricky player and has talent. 

Well there is a number of strikers we could get permanent for the right fee who fit into the under 23 age bracket. Mowbray stop with the bloody excuses and get on with signing one. You should have had this sorted by now and within days of AA sale. But we need a striker in. Maybe Ellis Simms from Everton could be that permanent target and someone we could get a couple of millions. Yes I know he is injured by meant to be back by Mid September. He would fit this supposedly recruitment of not signing players over the aged 24 now. But if this is the supposedly transfer policy now why have been linked with Healey through the Rich Sharpe of the LT? Lets see what the next 8 days bring now

I don;t see us signing 2 wingers on loan this window, so its one of the winger but not. 

I think he is full of pace and trickery with little at the end of it, always looks exciting when he comes on for Leeds. Him AND Khadra would be strange.

I suspect that the money has vanished. Although why our manager has to abide by such a strict rule (no over 24s) is counter productive. I sense that we are going to be bullied quite a few times this season, we have such a young and soft team. Thats why I said the other day that Johnson who is far from his best may become more important than is ideal. A team of academy graduates and kids on loan is never going to provide balance.

My guess is that we wont sign a striker permanently.

9 minutes ago, Mercer said:

A good big 'un is always better than a good small 'un!

The older members of this MB will remember little Johnny Price the winger who joined us from Stockport round about 1970.

Johnny was only 5 foot 3 inches but had the heart of a lion and would run through brick walls for the cause.  A very decent signing for Rovers at that time in our history.  Sadly, Johnny died in his fifties.  

Joe Haverty was another 5’ 3” winger who played for us a decade before Johnny.

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thanks for sharing AAK. Look a good tricky player and has talent. 

Well there is a number of strikers we could get permanent for the right fee who fit into the under 23 age bracket. Mowbray stop with the bloody excuses and get on with signing one. You should have had this sorted by now and within days of AA sale. But we need a striker in.. He would fit this supposedly recruitment of not signing players over the aged 24 now. But if this is the supposedly transfer policy now why have been linked with Healey through the Rich Sharpe of the LT? Lets see what the next 8 days bring now

I don;t see us signing 2 wingers on loan this window, so its one of the winger but not. 

Maybe we will get 2 decent  wingers.  There is every chance they are more attainable than a goal scoring striker.   Perhaps Mowbray has had an epiphany and will now play his two 6ft 4 strikers as strikers not wingers.  Probably not though.

• Like 1

The answer to our striking situation is not within the club, Brereton is not a central striker, he is suited coming in from the side and Gallagher should only be considered as a central striker but is not particularly good. We need a first choice striker. Armstrong's loss cannot be covered up with wingers, although we do need at least one winger to cover the loss of Elliott too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The answer to our striking situation is not within the club, Brereton is not a central striker, he is suited coming in from the side and Gallagher should only be considered as a central striker but is not particularly good. We need a first choice striker. Armstrong's loss cannot be covered up with wingers, although we do need at least one winger to cover the loss of Elliott too.

Still baffling that Gally is played on the wing it's the biggest waste of a player spot ever.

If you play him play him centrally, Dolan much better on that wing than Gally.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Elliott is a star and we will never truly replace him with the loan market, but in any market really. However, Poveda, if it got done, would be a very decent replacement. You're right RE: a central forward.

53 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19530342.blackburn-rovers-expect-busy-transfer-market/

"I would hope, as I’ve said from the very start, that that we could at least fill our loan quota of five and bring people in to help this group.”

Based on what he has said, I cannot see any permanent signings being made.

This doesnt sound too promising either: "fees could be paid for the right target and fitting in with an expected recruitment policy of players under the age of 24."

Poveda-Ocampo has impressed when I have seen him for Leeds, usually off the bench. Although I would find it strange if we used 2 of our remaining loans on wingers with Khadra too, so if there is any truth in that, maybe it is due to Khadra being injured? Doesn't fit the criteria set out by Waggott regarding the imminent signing as he is only at Leeds and he is not a number 10.

I wouldn't see the issue with signing those 2 using 2 spaces. We are going to be playing a high energy pressing game, we are going to need fit runners in those positions 

12 minutes ago, J*B said:

I don't know about you but playing WBA at weekend made me realise how small we are. Even Lenihan looked tiny compared to pretty much every WBA player. I think we need a couple of angry monsters myself.

WBA big monsters players will suit this league and over power teams but will it work in the PL? Doubtful

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think he is full of pace and trickery with little at the end of it, always looks exciting when he comes on for Leeds. Him AND Khadra would be strange.

I suspect that the money has vanished. Although why our manager has to abide by such a strict rule (no over 24s) is counter productive. I sense that we are going to be bullied quite a few times this season, we have such a young and soft team. Thats why I said the other day that Johnson who is far from his best may become more important than is ideal. A team of academy graduates and kids on loan is never going to provide balance.

My guess is that we wont sign a striker permanently.

Depends how bad the injury is too Kharda. 

If the all the Armstrong money has had to go on meeting the FFP rules then just been open and honest to the fans and explained this is the case. But Mowbray and Waggott won't. 

why is the under 24 rule counter productive? 

I like that we have a young squad with a few experience players like Kaminski, Lenihan, Ayala, Travis. i do feel its the right way for us to go with the current situation we have But we need to add 4 or 5 quality signings before the deadline. 

14 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Xavi, Iniesta, Pele, Messi, Raul, Owen, etc... 

I'd throw Kante in with that lot.  Quality.

That Spanish side full of midgets ten years ago were technically superb and could just pass teams ragged, regardless of size. 

Our midfield is too small and not technically good enough to compete with physical sides.  

Our big lads up top are both weak in the air for their size.

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We are going to be playing a high energy pressing game, we are going to need fit runners in those positions 

This is the way we should be playing with our young squad. Pressing from the front and counter attacking the opposition with pace and skills. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Still baffling that Gally is played on the wing it's the biggest waste of a player spot ever.

If you play him play him centrally, Dolan much better on that wing than Gally.

I think Dolan is well off at this moment in time, was a bit of a whirlwind when he broke through but faded in general he rarely impacts games and his decision making and end product is poor. I think based on recent performances, he should be behind even Chapman in the pecking order, although that implies that both are judged as wingers which is clearly not the case.

Gallagher out wide has never made sense. Brereton definitely does, and it worked on occasion with Gallagher wide and Armstrong central, indeed whilst I never liked Gallagher out wide, you can understand why Armstrong was prioritised centrally. Now, we are sorely lacking in that area.

We definitely need an upgrade on Gallagher though, he isnt really a goalscorer, his touch is poor, he doesnt bring others into play and the timing of his runs is poor. He is powerful once he gets into his stride and he isnt totally without his uses, but if we are dependant on him and Brereton to get our goals this season, it is going to be tough.

8 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Elliott is a star and we will never truly replace him with the loan market, but in any market really. However, Poveda, if it got done, would be a very decent replacement. You're right RE: a central forward.

Poveda has looked talented when I have seen him with cameos off the bench at Leeds. Questions would surround a potential lack of end product.

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wouldn't see the issue with signing those 2 using 2 spaces. We are going to be playing a high energy pressing game, we are going to need fit runners in those positions 

We only have 4 loan spaces left though, and both are very similar. We need a left back, a centre back and a central midfielder who can break forward and score goals, as well as of course a striker.

I personally think it would make sense for the owners to at least be flexible enough to bring in a striker for a small fee and maybe fill one or two of those aforementioned vacancies with free transfers, but it seems to be a kids on loan only policy.

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

WBA big monsters players will suit this league and over power teams but will it work in the PL? Doubtful

Depends how bad the injury is too Kharda. 

If the all the Armstrong money has had to go on meeting the FFP rules then just been open and honest to the fans and explained this is the case. But Mowbray and Waggott won't. 

why is the under 24 rule counter productive? 

I like that we have a young squad with a few experience players like Kaminski, Lenihan, Ayala, Travis. i do feel its the right way for us to go with the current situation we have But we need to add 4 or 5 quality signings before the deadline. 

If it is true, then it is an incredibly restrictive policy. There is no reason why we can't invest even a small proportion of the Armstrong money to buy a replacement, but it would be typical Venkys if they didnt allow the logic of bringing in a replacement who can be then sold on for profit again at a later date.

Honestly it's like groundhog day reading the claptrap that TM comes up with in these LET articles. It's been 2 weeks since Armstrong has been sold, there is an abundance of striking talent out there that is the right age, with pace and can finish. We need to get on with it.

• Like 1