BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

7 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

In this 'worst football in the last 50 years' debate, its difficult to define. Personally I find the slow, sideways passing that went on for much of the last two seasons very tedious and unentertaining, but as others have pointed out, even since Venkys rocked up we have had horrific spells under the likes of Appleton, Coyle, Kean and even Lambert. Prior to that Brian Kidd, Jim Iley and John Pickering served up some almighty dross, all within the past 50 years. 

Ultimately, at the end of the day football is a results game and we won just 2 out of 17 in one spell last season - that's pretty fucking shit by anyone's standards and bearing in mind the laborious sideways tedious 'possession' game we were deploying during that period I can certainly see why some posters hold their view of it being as bad as anything they have seen.

Bang on.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Love this phrase - is said every year I have followed Rovers with the exceptions of when Dalgleish and Hughes were in charge.

Levelled with gusto against Hodgson, Hartford, Kidd, Souness, Ince, Allardyce, Kean, Appleton, Bowyer, Coyle, Lambert, Mowbray....

Well you might remember that, I honestly don't. On the other hand you could be making it up.

I don't give two hoots whether or not Mowbray's football is the worst in 50 years.

What I do care about is the here and now, and that something is done to address an absolutely apalling run of form dating back 30 games or so.

That something needs to be Mowbray's removal - and also that of the inept Waggott - and the sooner the better. They are simply not capable of improving matters, either on the pitch, or off it.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

Best team in the league only getting better as this window goes on. Hope they go up because I think Ismael's football will be fascinating to watch in the Premier League.

At least they will get there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We wont and sadly it will be a 'result' if we finish above bottom six.

Think Mowbray's journey has been in reverse gear for most of his tenure.

IMO, in the main, football under Mowbray has been amongst the most turgid I've seen in almost 60 years of watching Rovers.  I would put it on a par with what we saw under the hapless Jim Iley.  

I think last season was an illusion.

Started off decently with convincing wins against 10 man Coventry, 10 man PNE and an utterly shambolic Derby who shortly after sacked their manager.

As for the three five goal performances you keep referring to - perspective called for.  Second game of the season against Wycombe who were like lambs to the slaughter until they found their feet and sadly they were relegated.  Two five goal wins in the last two home matches of the season - these were dead rubbers against a shambolic Brum who'd just sacked their manager and Bowyer threw a load of kids in and then an almost equally shambolic Huddersfield whose goalie gifted us at least three of those goals. 

I think Mowbray is a disaster and he's set the club back a million miles / years and it's doubtful we will ever recover.  That run of 2 wins in 17 games will stick in the memory, for all the wrong reasons, for a long time and during that time, IMO, the manager's body language said it all; any man of integrity and principle would have walked away.

I think 'I will not be a burden on this club' Mowbray's position is indefensible.  God help us if he remains manager for much longer.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 7

The thing with Mowbray is that he refuses to accept the blame and criticism even though he states he would leave if he became a burden. Well he has become a huge burden he remains in place and his integrity is therefore ruined!

He has gone stale.

At time the football has been utter rubbish, at times mediocre, at times great but with a large degree of inconsistency I mean playing superbly for 15 minutes out of 90 then losing a game which should have been won epitomises his style.

At times clueless, tactically inept and woefully short, the two winless runs are what he will be remembered for not promotion.

He is the manager who should take the fall, the blame and the responsibility however he shuns this and blames all and sundry, his comments in the media are at time truly piss poor and it is because of this our supporters, or the majority, see right through him.

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Our current EFL squad would have 23 EFL squad at the minute. 25 is the limt

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19534003.efl-squad-list-affect-blackburn-rovers-transfer-decisions/

We definitely need 4 or 5 more players, so whilst this initially is a worry, there are a few on there that certainly are not

Say we bring in a left back, a centre back, a striker and an attacking midfielder, whether that is another wide man or a goalscoring midfielder from the middle. 2 would be registered automatically to take us up to 25. Then you have decisions to make.

Magloire looks a million miles off a Championship player, short term we will have Lenihan, Ayala, Carter and hopefully a new centre back, with Wharton to return in a couple of months. Even long term, with 2 prospects looking well ahead of him, he should be allowed to move on permanently and forge a career in the lower leagues, so that is 3 spaces. Stergiakis doesnt need registering either, he doesnt make the bench in the absence of Pears with Eastham preferred, so he should be loaned out rather than taking up a place as an untested fourth choice keeper. So there are your 4.

Even beyond that, Butterworth could potentially be loaned out to get regular game time if we got a couple more across the front line.

5 hours ago, Boroblue said:

So the captain of our ship has been at the helm for five years.  The ship is in collision course with the rocks but you can’t blame the captain. It’s not his fault he put together the wrong crew, set the wrong course and didn’t correct his course when the compass told him he was heading in the wrong direction.

No it’s the absentee owners fault who have trusted him and his fellow officers to get the job done with substantial funds.

Whats the answer don’t replace him because things could get worse. I will never look back with any fondness on the Mowbray years. He’s an out of touch, self preserving old dinosaur. Even the Forest fans recognised this eleven he tried to defend Hughton. 
PS Let’s see if he’s given a 2 wins in 17 run before he’s potted. We all know he won’t be because only at rovers is failure and mediocrity tolerated and only our fans would try and defend it as though it could be worse if we remove him

Why dont they take any blame for trusting someone not capable of doing the job anymore?

12 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Think Mowbray's journey has been in reverse gear for most of his tenure.

Blatantly not true. He had the first half a season when he failed with a very difficult task, we wasnt in reverse, he was just unable to get us out of the deep hole that Coyle got us into.

The main two thirds of his reign in the middle were blatantly and objectively not in reverse. Promotion was a forward step. 15th in the Championship and comfortable in mid table was a further forward step. 11th was a further forward step, not a major one, but quite blatantly

No doubts that in the last year, regression has very much happened, and he should have long since been potted. But there is no need to make him out as worse than hes been.

1 hour ago, BRFC_Polky said:

Sorry if this has already been discussed, would signing Jack Wilshere on a one-year deal be a bad option?

The talent is clearly there but fitness and his injury record is an issue. He’s recently done an interview and stated he hasn’t been injured since January 2020. I wouldn’t mind seeing him in a Rovers shirt if TM could manage his workload like Ayala is currently being managed.

I see it as a similar signing to Jack Rodwell, give him a chance and see how it goes. If he keeps getting injured release him at the end of the year and move on.

No thanks

11 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

The thing with Mowbray is that he refuses to accept the blame and criticism even though he states he would leave if he became a burden. Well he has become a huge burden he remains in place and his integrity is therefore ruined!

He has gone stale.

At time the football has been utter rubbish, at times mediocre, at times great but with a large degree of inconsistency I mean playing superbly for 15 minutes out of 90 then losing a game which should have been won epitomises his style.

At times clueless, tactically inept and woefully short, the two winless runs are what he will be remembered for not promotion.

He is the manager who should take the fall, the blame and the responsibility however he shuns this and blames all and sundry, his comments in the media are at time truly piss poor and it is because of this our supporters, or the majority, see right through him.

That would be a shame. 2 specific runs of form amidst seasons whereby we ended up in mid table, never in any real danger, over a full successful season.

22 minutes ago, den said:

If it’s losing football, it’s bad football. However you go about winning a game you must be doing plenty right. Losing is different because you can lose games with doing hardly anything right.

Agree. Funnily enough two games  stand out for me on this. One Vs Tottenham where we were dreadful and yet somehow fluked a 2-1 win with two against the run of play flukey goals. Went home happy that day even though logically speaking the football was dire. Another instance of this that comes to mind is 1-0.v Sunderland under Parkes (I think) which was 90 mins of both sides lumping it aimlessly long with nothing happening bar an amazing Gally long range strike. Crap football and a win and you forget how boring it was, or rather it doesn't irk you. 

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

That would be a shame. 2 specific runs of form amidst seasons whereby we ended up in mid table, never in any real danger, over a full successful season.

Disagree. Last season's run could really have got us down. Only the win Vs Derby and Covid weakening two of the relegated teams meant that we steered to safety. 

Also it wouldn't be a shame because one good season doesn't cancel out the multiple seasons of ineptitude. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Agree. Funnily enough two games  stand out for me on this. One Vs Tottenham where we were dreadful and yet somehow fluked a 2-1 win with two against the run of play flukey goals. Went home happy that day even though logically speaking the football was dire. Another instance of this that comes to mind is 1-0.v Sunderland under Parkes (I think) which was 90 mins of both sides lumping it aimlessly long with nothing happening bar an amazing Gally long range strike. Crap football and a win and you forget how boring it was, or rather it doesn't irk you. 

Disagree. Last season's run could really have got us down. Only the win Vs Derby and Covid weakening two of the relegated teams meant that we steered to safety. 

Also it wouldn't be a shame because one good season doesn't cancel out the multiple seasons of ineptitude. 

It couldnt otherwise it would have. We finished 14 points and 7 places above relegation, it wasnt ever a close run thing.

I pointed out to Mercer earlier who claimed that we was in reverse for most of his tenure, that simply and objectively isnt true based on the results each season. Only true for the 4th of his 4 full seasons.

Obviously, avoiding relegation wasnt a satisfactory season last season and it was a significant regression on the previous season, rather than moving towards the top 6. That alone is enough to justify his sacking without dreaming up hypothetical alternative seasons in which x y and z happened and we ended up being relegated. That didnt happen.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

I was discussing this at the ground on Saturday. I'd be livid if I was a West Brom fan. Travelling all the way to Blackburn (admittedly it'd be a relief to get out of Birmingham) to watch that turgid football. 

The win takes the edge off it, but I go to matches to be entertained. 

6 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I was discussing this at the ground on Saturday. I'd be livid if I was a West Brom fan. Travelling all the way to Blackburn (admittedly it'd be a relief to get out of Birmingham) to watch that turgid football. 

The win takes the edge off it, but I go to matches to be entertained. 

I think West Broms football is much more entertaining than many teams. Take 2 examples, West Brom constantly have the ball in the box, so many chances, could have had 6 or 7. Constantly in your face, high pressing, full of energy. Or say a Swansea with their "principles" passing it out and obsessed with possession. Give me West Brom every day. Suppose it is personal preference.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It couldnt otherwise it would have. We finished 14 points and 7 places above relegation, it wasnt ever a close run thing.

I pointed out to Mercer earlier who claimed that we was in reverse for most of his tenure, that simply and objectively isnt true based on the results each season. Only true for the 4th of his 4 full seasons.

Obviously, avoiding relegation wasnt a satisfactory season last season and it was a significant regression on the previous season, rather than moving towards the top 6. That alone is enough to justify his sacking without dreaming up hypothetical alternative seasons in which x y and z happened and we ended up being relegated. That didnt happen.

I get what you are saying about hypothetical seasons didn't happen, however I'd say in most industries stuff that could have happened and there was a strong possibility/chance of them happening, do influence  performance reviews. For example if kids could have been exposed to a safeguarding risk but it didn't occur, it would still be looked dimly upon. Or closer to football if a team got away without having adequate cover in a position through lucking out through injuries or a manager winning despite playing a player in a totally unsuitable position they would still come under scrutiny. Hypotheticals, as in those that are significantly possible/likely do matter. 

And I think there is a lot of evidence that Rovers do not perform well under pressure. Both runs were aided by a couple of wins in dead rubber matches when we were safe, putting a huge gloss on things. And we have seen when the pressure is on - like going for playoffs, Rovers fall to pieces. The dead rubbers make things look less close than they were. 

Also I think regarding Covid impacting teams, that also was unprecedented, hugely skewed things, and made it much easier to stay up. I think it would have had a much closer final table had the relegated two been on a more level playing field with Covid. Again, that's not an unreasonable hypothetical, it was fortunate for us and a few other teams. 

I'm not trying to say everything TM does is wrong - that isn't accurate or helpful - but I do think we had a bit of fortune last season and the chance of going down was a realistic possibility.  

4 minutes ago, neophox said:

Sheyi Ojo the player coming here?

A quick google seems as though Liverpool want to sell him for £5million, so probably not unless that's wrong.

I'd like to think that we would only look to get another winger in (irrespective of whether we keep Chapman or not) if it's because we're going to use Gally in the middle. 

4 hours ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

As mentioned, the club are in an awful financial predicament and there is no good solution. The same fans who are quick to point out the mess we’re in also  seem to be complaining at the lack of transfer funds or demanding that we throw more money at the players out of contract. We’ve got to draw a line somewhere and cut our cloth accordingly, even if it means Joe Rothwell leaves on a free next season.

I can see your point here and agree we need to get our wage bill down to something less suicidal, I would hope the 12 leaving over the summer has made a massive dent in that given we haven't replaced. As well as the Armstrong money to help with finances.

The part I cant agree with is that by not renewing these contracts means Rothwell, Nyambe, Bradley Johnson, Jacob Davenport, Rothwell, Dan Butterworth, Harry Chapman, Brereton, Lenihan and Tyler Magloire all leave for free.

That is an insane amount of revenue out the door and as we won't replace them will mean certain relegation the following season.

The alternative is we try and sell all/most of them in the next few days and get some cash for them whilst we can. That will almost certainly mean relegation this season.

It just shows the absolute state of the leadership at Ewood and the disastrous situation the club now finds itself in from a squad perspective.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, roverblue said:

I can see your point here and agree we need to get our wage bill down to something less suicidal, I would hope the 12 leaving over the summer has made a massive dent in that given we haven't replaced. As well as the Armstrong money to help with finances.

The part I cant agree with is that by not renewing these contracts means Rothwell, Nyambe, Bradley Johnson, Jacob Davenport, Rothwell, Dan Butterworth, Harry Chapman, Brereton, Lenihan and Tyler Magloire all leave for free.

That is an insane amount of revenue out the door and as we won't replace them will mean certain relegation the following season.

The alternative is we try and sell all/most of them in the next few days and get some cash for them whilst we can. That will almost certainly mean relegation this season.

It just shows the absolute state of the leadership at Ewood and the disastrous situation the club now finds itself in from a squad perspective.

My mate who spoke to Waggot in the premier suite on Saturday and said we were signing one on Monday, also asked him about existing contracts, he said he was very close to Lenihan signing, fairly well down the line with Brereton and said,regarding Nyambe and Rothwell it’s the agent(s) who are trying to move  them on. Have to wait on them.

Could be talking bollocks or speaking the truth,who knows,time will tell mate ,said he sounded as though he meant it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, unsall said:

My mate who spoke to Waggot in the premier suite on Saturday and said we were signing one on Monday, also asked him about existing contracts, he said he was very close to Lenihan signing, fairly well down the line with Brereton and said,regarding Nyambe and Rothwell it’s the agent(s) who are trying to move  them on. Have to wait on them.

Could be talking bollocks or speaking the truth,who knows,time will tell mate ,said he sounded as though he meant it.

If I were RN or JR's agent and I wasn't a Rovers fan, I would also be trying to move them on. They're wasted here frankly.

• Like 3