BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I'm not one of those who thinks that Chapman is the best thing since sliced bread, but I really don't get what we're trying to achieve with him to be honest. 

I'm willing to accept that he hasn't played as much as he would've liked due to his attitude (or at least that we can't know that one way or the other) but if that's the case it seems mad to renew his deal for 12 months whilst simultaneously 1) not playing him and 2) not being able to get any cash for our asset due to his deal running out at the end of the season.

I only hope that the rumours are just that, and Chapman gets enough time on the pitch to justify a new, proper contract. 

It's not even just rumours, TM has publicly said he is considering sending him on loan. Just bizarre. All I can think is we signed him on for another year cos it was cheap and we didn't know if we were gonna be able to get someone else that Tony actually rates.

40 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Why the hell is he getting an unknown, green centre half in on loan, when we already have Lenihan/Ayala/Wharton/Carter/Magloire plus Johnson/Nyambe to cover at a push?

He played 28 games in Holland last season 

Plus they paid 2.5 million to sign him 

Edited by islander200

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Sharpe basically saying Mowbray sees the Leeds winger playing centrally so the Brighton winger deal still on 😂

You couldn't make this shit up.  Young Brighton CB possible as well. 

Bags of experience with these loans.

No doubt a young left back will follow and that will be the lot. 

Last season Douglas and Trybull were brought in as experienced loans.They were useless

Elliot and Harwood Bellis were good.

We would all like experience, but any experienced Good player we would have to pay the majority of their wage 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Really hope this doesn’t force Carter out on loan. He needs to be in and around the first team.

It 100% will.  Brighton are not loaning in this guy to sit on the bench. He immediately is ahead of everyone bar Lenihan and Ayala in the pecking order.  So we are faced with Carter's minutes being greatly reduced unless injuries come in.

If ever anyone loses track of what we have become under Venkys, consider that we have sold a player for upwards of 15m and are about to borrow 2 players from Brighton that no one had ever heard of because we still have so little money available.

Does anyone have any belief that we will sign a striker on a permanent deal before the deadline? If I had to guess, it will be these 2, some unheard of left back and thats it, all on loan.

For what its worth, I try to be quite open minded about loans, the key is not to rely on them, but 5 is going to be too many and piss poor on the owners behalf for not giving us a competitive chance.

We do 100% need a centre back, you need 4 competent centre backs even before considering the fragility of Ayala. If Lenihan does sign a new deal, that area of the team for the next 2 years looks as strong as any part of our thin squad, but Wharton is seemingly a bit away from being ready and even then, with the severity of his injury and also the position (you cant give a centre back 20 minute cameos for example) we are looking very light without him. Ideally, Carter could go out and play regularly but we need him until at least January, centre back is a tough position in that if Ayala does stay fit, Carter wont play. I have never heard of this Brighton player, at least he has a small amount of first team experience though.

The idea of Poveda playing central is a worrying but inevitable one, no doubt in the false 9 bollocks position. Him and Khadra would be 2 players, both of whom are total unknowns.

3 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

You can put a spin on loaning players from Liverpool, City and the like. Loaning them from Brighton is a sad indictment of our current state.

Leeds seemed to do alright out of loaning Ben White from Brighton.

Never even heard of this centre half before today but Brighton paid a transfer fee to sign him, he played  28 games at senior level in the Dutch league last season so he may not be too bad.

I understand people being angry at the signings we are making when they are nothing but short term options but for me this summer I think it is the way to go.I don't want Mowbray here anymore and don't want him being given the funds to bring people in on 2 or 3 year deals that a new manager might not fancy.

Enough bodies will see us stay up ,there are more than 3 teams/squads worse than us and many managers not up to it too

The biggest problem with the side for many years has been we can't keep a clean sheet.

Despite the excellent start to the season, Mowbray is doing the right thing here, we are crying out for quality cover in the centre of defence and he's addressing that.

If you don't concede goals you don't lose games, tried and tested.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

The thing is Gally playing a central role with proper wingers is a good option. Put on a plate he will score a bag full same with BBD

Gallagher out wide is 100% madness. But not sure I have ever seen any evidence of either of those being true.

3 hours ago, Blue blood said:

I get what you are saying about hypothetical seasons didn't happen, however I'd say in most industries stuff that could have happened and there was a strong possibility/chance of them happening, do influence  performance reviews. For example if kids could have been exposed to a safeguarding risk but it didn't occur, it would still be looked dimly upon. Or closer to football if a team got away without having adequate cover in a position through lucking out through injuries or a manager winning despite playing a player in a totally unsuitable position they would still come under scrutiny. Hypotheticals, as in those that are significantly possible/likely do matter. 

And I think there is a lot of evidence that Rovers do not perform well under pressure. Both runs were aided by a couple of wins in dead rubber matches when we were safe, putting a huge gloss on things. And we have seen when the pressure is on - like going for playoffs, Rovers fall to pieces. The dead rubbers make things look less close than they were. 

Also I think regarding Covid impacting teams, that also was unprecedented, hugely skewed things, and made it much easier to stay up. I think it would have had a much closer final table had the relegated two been on a more level playing field with Covid. Again, that's not an unreasonable hypothetical, it was fortunate for us and a few other teams. 

I'm not trying to say everything TM does is wrong - that isn't accurate or helpful - but I do think we had a bit of fortune last season and the chance of going down was a realistic possibility.  

I think the old theory runs true, you finish where you deserve to finish across the course of a season. Last season was 46 games long, not 17 games, and we finished 15th deservedly. Which was a frustrating regression on what went prior, and there was enough evidence in that to sack the manager.

Equally, Mowbray could point toward us being quite badly affected by Covid at one point, but those were just excuses too

The pressure comment is something I worry about this season. Devoid of experience and leadership.

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

If I were RN or JR's agent and I wasn't a Rovers fan, I would also be trying to move them on. They're wasted here frankly.

Would be piss poor to let them go for free, but I am not sure how higher those 2 will get clubs. I don't see a Premier League or top 6 Championship having him, especially in their first 11, perhaps the latter might pick them up as freebie squad players.

Of course there is hardly any evidence because we don’t and haven’t played with wingers who can supply a cross whilst Mowbray plays a 6ft centre forward out wide! Put in the middle with good crosses and supply and the lad will score goals I am pretty confident on that 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gav said:

The biggest problem with the side for many years has been we can't keep a clean sheet.

Despite the excellent start to the season, Mowbray is doing the right thing here, we are crying out for quality cover in the centre of defence and he's addressing that.

If you don't concede goals you don't lose games, tried and tested.

Excellent start to the season?

2 wins, 2 defeats and a draw is excellent?

Decent or better than expected yes.

Lesson to learn here is that no matter who he has or what combination of players he uses we still concede goals. 

It comes down to coaching, organisation and resilience. In short supply here with this mon who thinks he's Pep.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Of course there is hardly any evidence because we don’t and haven’t played with wingers who can supply a cross whilst Mowbray plays a 6ft centre forward out wide! Put in the middle with good crosses and supply and the lad will score goals I am pretty confident on that 

What makes you think the worst header of the ball at the club will score goals if we put crosses into him?

1 hour ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Why the hell is he getting an unknown, green centre half in on loan, when we already have Lenihan/Ayala/Wharton/Carter/Magloire plus Johnson/Nyambe to cover at a push?

So he can hoof or loan a few of them out presumably. 

Probably got a 2 for 1 deal with Brighton.