BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Swansea City (h) - 7/8/21

One small observation on the “wingers” yesterday, when we opened the scoring - our “left winger” was directly between the posts and our “right winger” was following up directly behind him centrally to finish it off.

I get frustrated by Gally far more than Diaz in that position, however I don’t think Sam has attributes to play as a pressing forward against a possession team either.

In a Jokanavic team (SUFC vs BFC last night 442 vs 442) I think both these lads would do far better as they’re not expected to cover the full back, they’d play up top.

Questions about why you’d recruit them for these roles still ring in my ears, however it’s hard to argue against their effectiveness yesterday as we created a lot, got into good positions, but their “finishing” was the issue and all three forwards spurned glorious chances.

Finally - if you see below the last time we played Millwall, the same front three started, and I recall being more impressed by the Dolan than I’d been expecting too.

He played this position in three games (Swansea / Brentford / Millwall) after our worst run in years (when AA was rested).

Whilst he needs work on his finishing and final ball, his attitude, work rate and pace are key requirements for pressing from the front. 

FE745FDC-6069-4313-8DCF-E21325ECA02D.jpeg

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Richard Browns

Richard Brown?

He retired at 27 because of injuries, now unless a riversider launched a two footed lunge on him in a game I missed, I don't think we can say that the Riversiders "ruined his career".

Oh to be back in Ewood. Just magic. The noise of the crowd. The smiles of those around me, everyone looking happy. Loved it.

Nothing much to moan at on the pitch (aside from some crappy shooting). Always felt like a win to me from the kick off. Not often I'm totally relaxed at a game but this felt good.

There's lots to work on, lots to polish up but that was a good day yesterday. Feel alive again after 18 months of shielding.

Same again next match please boys.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Richard Brown?

He retired at 27 because of injuries, now unless a riversider launched a two footed lunge on him in a game I missed, I don't think we can say that the Riversiders "ruined his career".

I was being sarcastic, although he was a fraud as a footballer 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BG1492 said:

40 minutes for a flat pint of Amstel. Love to know who interviews the staff behind the bar who today when one beer ran out, he tried to top my pint up with a completely different lager 👍🏻😅 

If you’re drinking Amstel you wouldn’t notice any difference. It’s all just fizzy water.

Amazing what a win can do, its the first time in months I've enjoyed reading this side of the forum, some great posts, thanks to you all 👍

First hand accounts from fans that actually go to games, its definitely the way forward.

Onwards and upwards.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Would you see Dolan primarily as a central player or a wide player? I think he lacks the goalscoring instinct to be playing down the middle in general, at least at this moment in time. Out wide, his pace and trickery (it needs refining as he does too many unnecessary stepovers but that is common with young, raw attacking players) coupled with his enthusiasm will hopefully be a pain in the arse of full backs especially off the bench.

Dolan's role is clearly one more of distraction then anything else. Small, quick busy and he is meant to occupy both CBs with our bigger, goal scorers attacking the space between the CBs and FBs. It creates a conundrum for the CBs do they stay with Dolan or help the full back? We will see how it works out over the season, but fingers crossed like last year it takes teams a while to figure it out and we get some points on the board, as we must anticipate our normal losing period with TM in charge.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

Its a ploy to get you all to move to another stand so they can close the Riverside,save them money having to open it up for every game.

I saw the first game I can remember my Dad taking me to [2-2 draw v. Fulham; November 1953] on the Riverside; I look forward to seeing my last - not just yet, though! - game there, too.

Which leads me onto another matter I thought would have been mentioned on here; did the attendance look to those of you who were there like the - just - five-figure that it's being reported to have been?

2 minutes ago, m1st said:

I saw the first game I can remember my Dad taking me to [2-2 draw v. Fulham; November 1953] on the Riverside; I look forward to seeing my last - not just yet, though! - game there, too.

Which leads me onto another matter I thought would have been mentioned on here; did the attendance look to those of you who were there like the - just - five-figure that it's being reported to have been?

To me it appeared to be the normal attendance ....Busier than I thought it would be in  Jack Walker , I am not sure what the average attendance was pre covid...

Bearing in mind it was the first game for 17 month , probably expected a couple of thousand more on...

Walk on prices don't help that...

Entertaining game and we won ..

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Richard Brown?

Some of them certainly have to take a bit of credit  for 'character building' a young Jason Wilcox that's for sure 😆

He survived to tell the tale though.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you’re drinking Amstel you wouldn’t notice any difference. It’s all just fizzy water.

I was more referring to the service behind the bar. Didn’t realise it would turn into a dick measuring contest on what lager people drink 😂

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Would you see Dolan primarily as a central player or a wide player? I think he lacks the goalscoring instinct to be playing down the middle in general, at least at this moment in time. Out wide, his pace and trickery (it needs refining as he does too many unnecessary stepovers but that is common with young, raw attacking players) coupled with his enthusiasm will hopefully be a pain in the arse of full backs especially off the bench.

I see him playing either roles depending on what we need from the frontline. He is a young player who will get better. I hope and expect his finishing will improve and he should be doinh extra training on his finishing but I enjoyed his enthusiasm and pace/tricky to watch

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Can we get armstrong sold and a replacement in this week please. Still think we might go back in for Curtis at pompy. Wouldn’t be against hugill either

Is this what your source is saying to you? 

Do you mean Jordan Hugill from Norwich? can we afford his wages. 

I agree we need to get Armstrong sold this week cos we can't keep letting it go on. 

23 minutes ago, BG1492 said:

I was more referring to the service behind the bar. Didn’t realise it would turn into a dick measuring contest on what lager people drink 😂

I can't even tell what lager people bought for me tbh, it was shite though🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JBiz said:

In a Jokanavic team (SUFC vs BFC last night 442 vs 442) I think both these lads would do far better as they’re not expected to cover the full back, they’d play up top.

Didn't Birmingham play 5-3-2 with Colin and Bela as wing backs? 

I didn't underrstand why Sheffield United play Fleck and McGoldrick as inverted wingers. Strange

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I see him playing either roles depending on what we need from the frontline. He is a young player who will get better. I hope and expect his finishing will improve and he should be doinh extra training on his finishing but I enjoyed his enthusiasm and pace/tricky to watch

Is this what your source is saying to you? 

Do you mean Jordan Hugill from Norwich? can we afford his wages. 

I agree we need to get Armstrong sold this week cos we can't keep letting it go on. 

No source, just me speculating. 

• Like 1

Great to kick off the season with a win for the first time in years. I felt before the game that Swansea at home was an ideal fixture for us with their issues and departures.

The team clearly worked their socks off and couldn't be faulted on that front. 

I still remain deeply concerned by our depth and options. That bench is worrying and had we been level or behind with 20 minutes to go I'm not sure there is anything there to trouble the opposition by way of changes. That simply has to change. Even if it means bringing in a lower league 6 foot 5 carthorse to rough the opposition up and aim for on set pieces. We just need something there to bring on. Likewise reinforcements needed defensively to avoid an inevitable crisis.

3 down 47 needed. Thats the only aim and hope I have.

It was great to be back at Ewood and it felt normal. Didn't feel like nearly 18 months had passed since the last one. I was positively surprised by the number of people there, particularly in the BBE. I hope that isn't inflated significantly by it being first game back and first game of the season. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Great to kick off the season with a win for the first time in years. I felt before the game that Swansea at home was an ideal fixture for us with their issues and departures.

The team clearly worked their socks off and couldn't be faulted on that front. 

I still remain deeply concerned by our depth and options. That bench is worrying and had we been level or behind with 20 minutes to go I'm not sure there is anything there to trouble the opposition by way of changes. That simply has to change. Even if it means bringing in a lower league 6 foot 5 carthorse to rough the opposition up and aim for on set pieces. We just need something there to bring on. Likewise reinforcements needed defensively to avoid an inevitable crisis.

3 down 47 needed. Thats the only aim and hope I have.

It was great to be back at Ewood and it felt normal. Didn't feel like nearly 18 months had passed since the last one. I was positively surprised by the number of people there, particularly in the BBE. I hope that isn't inflated significantly by it being first game back and first game of the season. 

People will come again if A) We win. And B) They feel they’ve seen an entertaining game. Yesterday ticks both boxes.

Enjoyed the game yesterday, good to see a young side pressing from the front, driving forward at every opportunity and giving everything.

I like that first 11, with Dack, Wharton, JRC and Johnson to come back into the squad. Think that 13/14 can give anyone a game and would probably finish mid table under a different manager.

I will be pretty annoyed if we just sign more PL kids on loan to beef the squad up instead of giving Pike, Butterworth, Carter etc games.

One thing I will say though, Mowbray is better with less options at his disposal.

• Like 3