BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Swansea City (h) - 7/8/21

That’s a great win and maybe a good time to get the Swans. We did look shaky at the back, but we could have had 5. Very early days, but I’m happy to start with a win, as every fan, positive or negative, would have been on a downer tonight, had we lost.

Beer in the fridge ready for a good night. On a side note I saw a Tweet earlier in the week, stating on Sky Bet,Brereton was1000/1 to score 20 league goals. By the time I looked, he was 500/1 and I still had a small bet. He was 80/1 this morning. Not sure what has happened, perhaps someone, has really lumped on. 

30 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Excellent start against a team who have been in the playoffs for the last 2 years. Bodes well for the season ahead and puts the silly doom and gloom of the last 3 months in to perspective.

Ridiculous - it was a great time to play Swansea, and one game in, we are still way behind where we should be by this stage 

enjoy the result but have a dose of realism 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lraC said:

That’s a great win and maybe a good time to get the Swans. We did look shaky at the back, but we could have had 5. Very early days, but I’m happy to start with a win, as every fan, positive or negative, would have been on a downer tonight, had we lost.

Beer in the fridge ready for a good night. On a side note I saw a Tweet earlier in the week, stating on Sky Bet,Brereton was1000/1 to score 20 league goals. By the time I looked, he was 500/1 and I still had a small bet. He was 80/1 this morning. Not sure what has happened, perhaps someone, has really lumped on. 

Damn, I'd have put a fiver on that for sure. Don't think he will do it but at 1000 to 1 totally worth a gambit.

• Like 1

Remember, we outplayed Newcastle with a similar team, last year.  Gallagher on the wing and Dolan in the false 9 is not sustainable. Dolan has the energy and pace to cause team's problems on the counter, but, any team that plays cautiously, will crowd him out and our attack will disappear. He'll lose confidence and next thing you know, we're back to chopping and changing every game. One moment, we're the free-scoring team of the league, the next, a pitiful side without any shape.

Play Dolan alongside a central striker and let him develop into the role. Imagine the young Damien Duff being expected to play as a central forward at the start of his career. 

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lraC said:

It'll probably be even smaller now he seems to be the one taking penalties if AA goes.If he keeps his confidence up that he gained over the summer he wont be far off 20 by the end of the season.

• Like 1

Like everyone else I am absolutely delighted to start the season with a win. 

Positives? Pickering and Diaz. Special praise to Buckley. He was awesome in my opinion. 

Happy enough to take this season on a game by game basis. TM ain't leaving anytime soon, so we may as well suck it up and see how it goes. 

Enjoy your Saturday night folks 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Wasn't Brereton's fault, Rothwell should have scored. It was quite a narrow angle by the time it reached Ben.

And from memory he seemed to be at a bit of a stretch to get on it. He could have scored, but Rothwell is the one who should have scored.

• Like 1

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Wasn't Brereton's fault, Rothwell should have scored. It was quite a narrow angle by the time it reached Ben.

Yeah, that's more how I saw it.

It was more if he had a bit of anticipation and speed, he could have maybe got there before it got narrow.

But to say miss of the season. Bit much. 

1 minute ago, Mike E said:

How has it affected our relegation odds? Worth lumping on?

A couple bookies now offering 10-1, highest I saw before the game was 8-1.

Some free bet offers to be had too if you're a new customer.

Thought we were good value for the win. Swansea only really threatened as a result of our own poor defending, particularly for their goal, which is just standard Rovers after going 2 up.

Great to see Gallagher and Brereton Diaz start the new season with a goal each. All of a sudden the pressure is on them to deliver the goals with Armstrong on his way out and Dack injured. Dolan impressed but obviously needs to work on his finishing and general intelligence / awareness.

Buckley was brilliant in the first half, not the same player in the 2nd and seemed to tire. Was the right call to bring him off. Rothwell did well but I have more of an issue with him not scoring that late chance than Brereton steering it in at a tight angle. I think its super harsh for Merson to call it a contender for miss of the season.

Ayala was very assured at the back, we desperately need him to stay fit as today he showed that he can still do a very good job at this level.

All in all its a win on the first day and i'm chuffed with that. I'm going into this season with absolutely no expectations of a playoff push, or even top half to be honest. While I expect a few loan signings I really hope that it isn't to the detriment of some of the promising youngsters coming through. What they lack in experience they make up for in effort for sure.

Good start to the season.

• Like 2

Really enjoyed that, I would be happy to take a few seasons of consolidation, if it allows us to blood / develop more of our youth.. as long as we dont get relegated.. my standard out players were Dolan, Kaminski and Buckley (bar a few miss placed passes I the 2nd half).

Kaminski 8 - two phenomenal saves that could have easily meant a different result.

Nyambe 7 - did his job 

Lenihan 7.5 - always commanding 

Ayala 7 - seems decent enough 

Pickering 7.5 - looks like he has potential 

Rothwell 7.5 - such a talent, must be a nightmare to play against, would be in the Premier if he had better final ball.

Travis 7.5 - usual industrial self.

Buckley 8 - seems to be coming of age, but needs to lose the casual mistakes.

Gallagher 8 - one of his better games 

Dolan 8.5 - all over the place, well done young man! 

Diaz 7.5 - played like Diaz most of the game, much more confident, but occasionally saw Ben.

Butterworth looked really good, excited about him.

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable return to Ewood! 

• Like 1

Well done Rovers! No idea what Swansea were trying to do with their playing out from the back - know your limits - and that definitely helped us. Despite that still needed a couple of decent saves from Kaminski, but I never felt we were hanging on or in any real danger of conceding a second.

Ignoring Mowbray still being here, how much easier is it to ‘get behind the lads’ when it’s Buckley, Butterworth etc rather than the likes of Evans and Bennett? Enjoyed that today and good to be back. And nice to have an opening day win after 11 years.

Edited by frosty
  • Like 5

Great to be back at Ewood today and see familiar faces again. The passion from the stands and players on the pitch was fantastic and although I'm the first to want changes off the field, I would ask any fan that can afford it to get down to Ewood this season and support a young crop of footballers wearing the blue and white shirt. There will be darker days ahead but lets enjoy a deserved win. COYB

• Like 8

Enjoyed that, decent game and a win. Half decent atmosphere, sweet Caroline to finish. Good afternoon at Ewood. Having a few pints in the grey mare with some wanderers fans. 😁🍺👍🏻

13 minutes ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Kaminski 8 - two phenomenal saves that could have easily meant a different result.

As much as I think he has been a great signing and was POTS last year, I don't know think you can give him 8 when the only reason it was nervy was cos he dropped a huge bollock for their goal.

Edited by Hasta