BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Swansea City (h) - 7/8/21

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I thought that the service on the concourse's was again piss poor. So slow to the point that even though I went down for a beer a few minutes before half time, with the queue curving past the toilets and going down at a snails pace, I gave up. Custom is being lost. Could beers not be pre-prepared and also perhaps the bottle bars be used again?

Could this be something that is raise at the next fans forum please? @only2garners

40 minutes for a flat pint of Amstel. Love to know who interviews the staff behind the bar who today when one beer ran out, he tried to top my pint up with a completely different lager 👍🏻😅 

• Like 1

Just got home from the game, was great to be back watching live again!

With better decisions and finishing we could have scored a lot more. Equally I felt like we would concede every time they came forwards.

Didnt recognise half the subs, we definitely need these loans because one or two injuries and we are in trouble.

Would love Ayala to stay fit all season. Buckley was superb in first half. Dolans energy was great hope as he gets more starts his decisions get better on ball. Kaminski with some great saves.

Swansea caused their own problems really, but new manager I guess.

Looking forward to Millwall away!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I think that it worked today but I think that we need an actual striker who can score goals in that central role, I suspect that if Dolan played as a central striker for 46 games, he would struggle to get 10 goals, hence why he is not playing the full Vardy role. He is still very raw and possibly more often than not suited to being an impact sub.

Yes Dolan is still a very raw but his work rate and desire to win the ball back. 

Dolan needs to work on his scoring. It will come for him. Very talented player

It is ok saying that all of these players should score more but there is no evidence that they will.

Not intereste in Evidence but defenders who come forward for set pieces should be scoring minimum of 4 goals a season for example

I think we need a centre back to compete with the current 2 with Wharton presumably a good couple of months away from first team involvement, and I would keep Carter around until January to cover that too. I think we need a left back to compete and push for that left back position. I think we need at least 2 players in central midfield, one of whom can sit in front of the defence and one who does have an ability to get goals. I think we need at least one if not two wide men who can really give us some quality and again get us some goals. And we definitely need a striker on a permanent basis, Armstrong will be impossible to replace but we need someone up front too. So 6 or 7 I would say, ideally an experienced keeper to be number 2 aswell. I did look at us today and think that we really need some more experience, they can't all be kids as we will struggle to manage games if that is the case.

I think we need a striker who has pace or technical ability to replace Armstrong.

A back up left back to challenge Pickering for last back. 

1 centre midfielder, 1 wide player and possible centre back depending on Ayala and Wharton fitness

then use the under 23 players otherwise

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

FFS Joe, half a feckin game. Still no goals, and no assists.  Let's see at the end of the season rather than picking every time he has a nice touch.  I want to see goals, assists, real contribution from our midfield.  If he does it throughout the season fair enough, I remember our first 10 games last season, world beaters we were. As good as his first half was, his second was very poor.

FFS sparks we all know you hate him for whatever reason but it's boring now. Give the lad a chance to have a run of games  which hes never had to prove you either right or wrong.You sound like a typical Riverside boo boy who ruins careers. Thought he was superb today till he tried in 2and half. The lad is a footballer.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes Dolan is still a very raw but his work rate and desire to win the ball back. 

Dolan needs to work on his scoring. It will come for him. Very talented player

Not intereste in Evidence but defenders who come forward for set pieces should be scoring minimum of 4 goals a season for example

I think we need a striker who has pace or technical ability to replace Armstrong.

A back up left back to challenge Pickering for last back. 

1 centre midfielder, 1 wide player and possible centre back depending on Ayala and Wharton fitness

then use the under 23 players otherwise

Would you see Dolan primarily as a central player or a wide player? I think he lacks the goalscoring instinct to be playing down the middle in general, at least at this moment in time. Out wide, his pace and trickery (it needs refining as he does too many unnecessary stepovers but that is common with young, raw attacking players) coupled with his enthusiasm will hopefully be a pain in the arse of full backs especially off the bench.

• Like 2

• J*B unpinned this topic

Would you see Dolan primarily as a central player or a wide player? I think he lacks the goalscoring instinct to be playing down the middle in general, at least at this moment in time. Out wide, his pace and trickery (it needs refining as he does too many unnecessary stepovers but that is common with young, raw attacking players) coupled with his enthusiasm will hopefully be a pain in the arse of full backs especially off the bench.

In today’s game alone, central was perfect for him. Caused them so many issues, and with a bit more experience and composure could of had a couple of goals.

He had a chance to lay in Brereton but delayed it and lost the ball. Then moments after had exact same scenario and played it too quick. 

As he plays more and gains confidence sure he will turn those into goals and Assists.

I don’t agree with anyone saying Armstrong would of got a hatrick today, because I feel Dolans pressing is what created those chances in first place.

Also, big up for Butterworth. During game Buckley, Dolan, Rothwell all had chances to play that killer ball that didn’t come off. Butterworth played a beauty through to Rothwell at the end when Joe should of squared it. 

Edited by Wood26
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Wood26 said:

In today’s game alone, central was perfect for him. Caused them so many issues, and with a bit more experience and composure could of had a couple of goals.

He had a chance to lay in Brereton but delayed it and lost the ball. Then moments after had exact same scenario and played it too quick. 

As he plays more and gains confidence sure he will turn those into goals and Assists.

I don’t agree with anyone saying Armstrong would of got a hatrick today, because I feel Dolans pressing is what created those chances in first place.

Also, big up for Butterworth. During game Buckley, Dolan, Rothwell all had chances to play that killer ball that didn’t come off. Butterworth played a beauty through to Rothwell at the end when Joe should of squared it. 

I think today was a perfect assignment for Dolan down the middle in that Swansea not only lacked quality but under Russell Martin were always going to try and play it out from the back and they were simply not good enough to do it. 

I would say going forward this season that Dolan should play more from the sides (quite often as a sub perhaps v tired legs) as over the course of a run of games, he lacks the quality and end product especially with his shooting to score enough goals to justify that central role. He is still very raw but there is definitely something to work with there and he is a nuisance.

Armstrong is a natural goalscorer so he would have invariably been in the right places against a poor defence and there was also plenty of space in behind especially on the counter attack in which we repeatedly lacked the quality in front of goal, either the decision making or the shot itself was a little off. I do think that our young team that perhaps isnt the best technically should be geared around its energy and pressing, we do need at least one wide man and a central goalscorer to add to the 3 today though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think today was a perfect assignment for Dolan down the middle in that Swansea not only lacked quality but under Russell Martin were always going to try and play it out from the back and they were simply not good enough to do it. 

I would say going forward this season that Dolan should play more from the sides (quite often as a sub perhaps v tired legs) as over the course of a run of games, he lacks the quality and end product especially with his shooting to score enough goals to justify that central role. He is still very raw but there is definitely something to work with there and he is a nuisance.

Armstrong is a natural goalscorer so he would have invariably been in the right places against a poor defence and there was also plenty of space in behind especially on the counter attack in which we repeatedly lacked the quality in front of goal, either the decision making or the shot itself was a little off. I do think that our young team that perhaps isnt the best technically should be geared around its energy and pressing, we do need at least one wide man and a central goalscorer to add to the 3 today though.

Agreed. What struck me today was how many counter attacks we wasted. Last season so many times when shoe was on other foot we got punished by clinical counter attacks. That’s my biggest concern from today (besides I still feel we can’t defend) is that we will get chances but don’t have some one at moment who will put them away.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wood26 said:

I saw a post saying that with AA we could have been 4 or 5 up by HT. Nonsense. AA is and always will be a 1 in 6 at best. Dolan's skill set and effort are to be admired but his shooting was lame.

Great result for us but Swansea were awful. At HT I predicted they would gift us a goal - didn't take long to arrive. 

That was a game that made a nonsense of possession stats.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ossyian said:

FFS sparks we all know you hate him for whatever reason but it's boring now. Give the lad a chance to have a run of games  which hes never had to prove you either right or wrong.You sound like a typical Riverside boo boy who ruins careers. Thought he was superb today till he tried in 2and half. The lad is a footballer.

Whose careers have the Riversiders ruined out of interest?

17 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Whose careers have the Riversiders ruined out of interest?

The Rovers career that comes to mind is Jimmy Quinn. There is a quote from an ex-Rovers winger, name escapes me, where he admitted he hated playing in one direction at Ewood due to the agro he got when he was on Riverside wing.

A few observations:

The centre-back pairing of Ayala/Lenihan was solid, how I wish they could play every game.

Mowbray says he doesn't believe in formations but he certainly believes in 2 big blokes lumbering up and down the flanks with a little bloke in the middle! Defies belief. Dolan will be eaten for breakfast by centre-backs this season.

Butterworth was a revelation when he came on, presumably he'll be coached out of driving forward and be reminded to watch videos of Cory Evans.

Why can none of our forwards shoot? We could have won by 3 at least. Through on goal and we scuff it like a seven year old.

4 bookings in what was not a dirty game. Swansea have had time enough to cut out the Premier League play-acting.That first-half booking of Pickering was as bad a refereeing decision as I have ever seen! A perfect tackle in my book, the sort that inspires the rest of the team.

Finally we won't play against a defence as bad as that one very often. Let's hope and pray their keeper has no Boro connections!

Still we won and that's what matters. I'd forgotten what it was like to get 3 points from the first game of the season. 

• Like 3