BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Swansea City (h) - 7/8/21

26 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Great 3 points, suspect wins will be like gold dust this season.

TBF up until we scored the second that was better than almost anything we saw last season. Whilst you still suspect we'd do better with Dolan out wide and BB and SG central, Dolan's harrying and work rate was phenomenal, I'd have given him MOM despite a few wrong choice of passes and weak shots.

After we went 2 up we contrived to make very hard work of the remainder of the game. Terrible sub on 83 mins from Mowbray,  Carter for Dolan which pegged us right back.

Overall though very enjoyable, and very refreshing seeing the enthusiasm of the young lads instead of dollopers like Evans/Bennett/Trybull etc.

Butterworth looked sensational in a couple of bursts he did then looked puffed out after a 50 yard run.

Nyambe, what a player.

Even with these lads, we'd still do better with another manager.

Some very similar thoughts - particularly Dolan.

I watched WBA do the “Barnsley Gegenpress” last night, really impressive (if not a bit loose at the back) but constantly on the press / harrying the defence. I think we can do something similar with Dolan, we’ll create chances against teams that want to keep the ball, and for all Swansea’s management issues - they’re an established team in this division and he didn’t give them a whiff of time on the ball.

The energy was amazing and made “Ewood return day” (for me at least) a properly enjoyable day.

• Like 6

That was an enjoyable watch. Great to start off with a win and to see Gally and Brereton get off the mark on day one.

I was happy to see us harry them, especially in the first half, and force them into making mistakes. Dolan played a big role in that regard. Need to do something about the finishing though, we can't keep missing chances like we did today. Maybe give Butterworth a go upfront at some stage. He looked sharp when he came on.

It's early days, but Pickering already looks better than the two options we had at LB last season. Ayala looked assured today. He is a quality defender, it's just a matter of fitness with him.

To cap off a good afternoon, Preston got thumped at home with Richie Smallwood getting a goal and an assist. Brilliant 😁.

• Like 1

Whilst firmly in the Mowbray out movement I found myself walking away from Ewood pleasantly surprised, glad we won, chuffed to break the opening season game hoodoo and wondering if we as fans have got it all wrong!

I must admit when I saw the line up as well as the bench I was afraid my prematch prediction of a heavy defeat was inevitable but what I as well as all Rovers fans who watched the game bore witness to, we saw a work ethic often missing on the pitch especially under TM and co.

My observations in short:

Dolan had a superb game but should have scored a hat trick.

Brereton played with so much confidence.

Defensive wise we did ok especially Ayala.

Midfield worked their socks off at times despite being overrun on occasion.

Those who slate Buckley need to understand how he plays. He is definitely a player with some superb tackles, ball winning and ball playing. A real star in the making.

Rothwell showed his class at times but worked very hard.

Travis was class and lead the team with Lenihan who was very comfortable in the middle.

The subs all played their part and young Butterworth should have crowned his cameo with a goal.

I am always happy to win games and perhaps it was due versus Swansea however in saying that we need an experienced midfield general who can defend, break up play and put the team on the front foot.

I am also very saddened that Armstrong didn’t get out to say a farewell but for me and as someone on here pointed out, we appear to be a better team without him.

• Like 7

dolan worked his socks off,an an excellent effort,however he is`nt a centre forward and if we had been playing a genuine one we`d bagged four or five,i don`t think i`ll ever understand why mowbray persists with this wide striker shite,big ben was mom imo,summer in the copa america has done wonders for him,got a bit tense when we lost our shape in the 2nd half but we persevered and lastly i don`t know what the swansea game plan was with all that playing from the back but i loved it😀

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, lraC said:

That’s a great win and maybe a good time to get the Swans. We did look shaky at the back, but we could have had 5. Very early days, but I’m happy to start with a win, as every fan, positive or negative, would have been on a downer tonight, had we lost.

Beer in the fridge ready for a good night. On a side note I saw a Tweet earlier in the week, stating on Sky Bet,Brereton was1000/1 to score 20 league goals. By the time I looked, he was 500/1 and I still had a small bet. He was 80/1 this morning. Not sure what has happened, perhaps someone, has really lumped on. 

If he's taking penalties 1000/1 is very high. He will get double figures 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hasta said:

As much as I think he has been a great signing and was POTS last year, I don't know think you can give him 8 when the only reason it was nervy was cos he dropped a huge bollock for their goal.

Not seen the replay. It looked like it took a big deflection…?

Opening day 3 points - brilliant!

It was clear all the players gave 100%, perhaps a bonus of no loanees? Plenty of potential with our younger players - I am excited.

Shame there weren’t more at Ewood to see the positive start, but hopefully gates will start to pick up.

Big thumbs up for today.

• Like 1

I think we pressed them brilliantly most of the game . Happy that gallaghuero got a goal and looked a threat on occasion. Diaz like I said after the Leeds game, what a difference a bit of confidence can do to a forward. Rothwell made his little darting runs and looked really up for it. See in we can keep hold of him.

Dolan was fantastic loves a tackle but needs to learn how to strike the ball. Nyambe was an absolute machine. Buckley was the outstanding player for me. Especially in the first half, Hope he keeps it up because what a player he could be. My only criticism would be we should've scored more and made it more comfortable. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Firstly it was great to be back at Ewood Park watching live football. Nothing quite like it. Great to be back and enjoying pre match Double burger with onions from the food van outside Ewood Park. 

Mowbray selected the team most of have done with the options available to him and play 4-3-3 with Dolan up front, Gallagher right and Brereton left. Buckley in the 10 role and marking Swansea key player Grimes closely almost like man to man job on him with Travis and Rothwell in centre midfield. And it worked very well until Gallagher got injured and had to come off. They close down Swansea defence and keeper at every opportunity and Dolan worked his socks off and you can see why Mowbray played him there for that reasons. Gallagher took his goal with after keeper saved from Brereton Diaz's shot. Second goal came from Dolan closing down the Swansea keeper and winning the ball of him and the keeper bringing him down. Brereton scored the penalty and enjoying scoring in front of the fans. We had enough chances today to score 5 or 6 and I disappointed with some of the finishing tbh. Dolan need to improve this area of his game during the season. 

Mowbray didn't play possession based football today and we benefit from that and the players did aswell. We defending well apart from the goal and if we had to clear the ball into touch we did. Hope this continue for the rest of the season. 

I will praised Mowbray for his tactics selected from the start but after taking Dolan off for Carter coming on we played far too defensively for me and invited pressure too much for me. It didn't cost us today cos Swansea lacked quality and I don't see Russell Martin lasting the seasons if they keep playing possession based play from the back. They don't have the players and the keeper isn't good enough. 

Rothwell was outstanding from Centre midfielder with his passing and quality on the ball and Travis loves a tackle. 

Kaminski made 2 quality saves today. back 4 were solid for most of the game and I thought Nyambe did very well and Pickering had a solid home debut for us. 

The players played with passion for the shirt and the fans and are clearly behind the manager. 

The fans were Outstanding today and singing from the kick off and right behind the players. Yes they were a few Mowbray's Blue and White Army chants today during the game and quite clearly major of fans in the Blackburn end are still behind Mowbray as manager(I didn't part in them just for the record). Was this similar in wider areas of Blackburn End or Jack Walker stand or Riverside stand? 

We clearly 4 or 5 players in with the quality we need but today was good win and so pleased to back with Ewood Park watching live football after 18 months of not being allow and being lockdown due to the pandemic. 

Rovers Till I Die 🔵

Brilliant write up, thanks for that chaddy.

I’m sure you echo the sentiments of thousands of Rovers fans in attendance today. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Not seen the replay. It looked like it took a big deflection…?

No he just anticipates it going into the corner and  steps to his left and the guy puts it straight down the mIddle.

Highlights - https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/12375694/blackburn-2-1-swansea

The save not long after was a cracking save though.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

Brilliant write up, thanks for that chaddy.

I’m sure you echo the sentiments of thousands of Rovers fans in attendance today. 

Mowbray selected the team most of have done with the options available to him and play 4-3-3 with Dolan up front, Gallagher right and Brereton left. 

You jest, surely? He lead off with this pearler. 

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Firstly it was great to be back at Ewood Park watching live football. Nothing quite like it. Great to be back and enjoying pre match Double burger with onions from the food van outside Ewood Park. 

Mowbray selected the team most of have done with the options available to him and play 4-3-3 with Dolan up front, Gallagher right and Brereton left. Buckley in the 10 role and marking Swansea key player Grimes closely almost like man to man job on him with Travis and Rothwell in centre midfield. And it worked very well until Gallagher got injured and had to come off. They close down Swansea defence and keeper at every opportunity and Dolan worked his socks off and you can see why Mowbray played him there for that reasons. Gallagher took his goal with after keeper saved from Brereton Diaz's shot. Second goal came from Dolan closing down the Swansea keeper and winning the ball of him and the keeper bringing him down. Brereton scored the penalty and enjoying scoring in front of the fans. We had enough chances today to score 5 or 6 and I disappointed with some of the finishing tbh. Dolan need to improve this area of his game during the season. 

Mowbray didn't play possession based football today and we benefit from that and the players did aswell. We defending well apart from the goal and if we had to clear the ball into touch we did. Hope this continue for the rest of the season. 

I will praised Mowbray for his tactics selected from the start but after taking Dolan off for Carter coming on we played far too defensively for me and invited pressure too much for me. It didn't cost us today cos Swansea lacked quality and I don't see Russell Martin lasting the seasons if they keep playing possession based play from the back. They don't have the players and the keeper isn't good enough. 

Rothwell was outstanding from Centre midfielder with his passing and quality on the ball and Travis loves a tackle. 

Kaminski made 2 quality saves today. back 4 were solid for most of the game and I thought Nyambe did very well and Pickering had a solid home debut for us. 

The players played with passion for the shirt and the fans and are clearly behind the manager. 

The fans were Outstanding today and singing from the kick off and right behind the players. Yes they were a few Mowbray's Blue and White Army chants today during the game and quite clearly major of fans in the Blackburn end are still behind Mowbray as manager(I didn't part in them just for the record). Was this similar in wider areas of Blackburn End or Jack Walker stand or Riverside stand? 

We clearly 4 or 5 players in with the quality we need but today was good win and so pleased to back with Ewood Park watching live football after 18 months of not being allow and being lockdown due to the pandemic. 

Rovers Till I Die 🔵

Well done chaddy, you've been waiting a fair while for that haven't you?

🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lraC said:

Beer in the fridge ready for a good night. On a side note I saw a Tweet earlier in the week, stating on Sky Bet,Brereton was1000/1 to score 20 league goals. By the time I looked, he was 500/1 and I still had a small bet. He was 80/1 this morning. Not sure what has happened, perhaps someone, has really lumped on. 

Where on the site do you find bets like that btw?

It's really good to start with a deserved win with lots of pleasing aspects to admire. No disrespect to any Rovers players but Armstrong would have had a hat trick today and that is what I believe will bite us on the backside over the course of the season. The pressing game won it for us today as Swansea were over playing in the wrong areas time and time again. The work rate was good today as was the intensity with which we played.

As I said a win is a win but Mowbray worries me enormously. His changes resulted in players moving about and we lost some momentum with this disruption. It's simple for me, if you are comfortable in the game just go like for like and maintain the control you have by keeping the same system. In my book Mowbray handed the initiative to Swansea who could have stolen a point they didn't look like getting.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

You jest, surely? He lead off with this pearler. 

Did you go? Or watch on teletext? 

I’ll take the views of the fans in the ground, most of which support chaddys view.

Edited by Gav
Ok

John Buckley played the best 65 minutes of his career today. Ran out of steam a bit towards the end but what a game from him. Needs to do it every week but to win the ball back via tackles/interceptions 12 times in one game in the middle of midfield is mighty impressive.

BBD shot off the post wasn't a bad miss, it was a really really hard angle. Why didn't Rothwell just square it?

Just now, JoeH said:

John Buckley played the best 65 minutes of his career today. Ran out of steam a bit towards the end but what a game from him. Needs to do it every week but to win the ball back via tackles/interceptions 12 times in one game in the middle of midfield is mighty impressive.

BBD shot off the post wasn't a bad miss, it was a really really hard angle. Why didn't Rothwell just square it?

He has bulked up a bit, which will stand him in good stead. He is still slim, but no longer so scrawny he looks like a stiff breeze would knock him over.

• Like 1