BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

West Brom Preview

31 minutes ago, TheRoversReturn said:

We have Mowbray Standards these days. Or, in a grim mood, Venkys Standards.

They're all just different ways of saying Complete Shit. 

Unfortunately yep.

2 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

We were simply beaten by a far better team for this level of football.

WBA are a physical and professional side, who do what what they do well. They reminded me of Burnley when we last played them; win the second balls; get it forward as quickly as possible, get crosses into the box, and shoot when they get a chance. Not the easiest on the eye, but very effective.

We're miles off that level I'm afraid.

Teams with a plan and a style. Not the most complicated, but it's definitely better than nothing.

Well if there is a better keeper in the championship name him.

A lot of positives to take from that defeat. Kaminski is top draw. Quality keeper and outstanding performance. Man of the match for me.

Clarkson looks an excellent addition, superb vision and composure for a young lad and will be invaluable this season. 

Carter played well in an unfamiliar position and against top quality opponents. I have no worries playing him this season. His progress must not be hampered by the loan system.

Rothwell again had an excellent game. Tracking back and chasing lost causes as well as a few driving runs and quality passes .

Ayala looks quality. Shouting and organising all game. Calm and composed. He will be massive for us this season if he can stay fit 

Diaz bags another, played well but for god sake stay on your feet and get onside.

Dissapoined we didn’t create much in terms of chances . This is a big issue and must improve. 

I don’t think many better teams will come to ewood this season and overall I don’t think we played to bad. I have more faith now than I did after the Swansea game.  We desperately need an out an out striker that is unquestionable. 

I find it strange that Mowbray has spent years talking of playing out from the back , possession etc and yet we seem to be playing long ball football. Now qualms from me if it works but we need someone who can head a ball and hold it up Danny Graham style because I didn’t see Ben or Sam win much today. Nothing sticks when it goes up the pitch.  

A few things need ironing out but it isn’t the suicide season I thought it was going to be. After today’s defeat and the manor of it we need to learn to bounce straight back with a result in the next game and not let the death spiral start. 
hopefully lessons learned through experience.

Enjoyed today’s game and well done Rovers 👏🏻 

edit. Didn’t mention chapman who I’d all but written off. The star man i remember from league one turned up today. 

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 3

It’s like we drew straws before the game to decide which type of football match the style had to be today, and West Brom won the draw. Don’t know why we went toe to toe in the punt Harry and win the second ball game. They mullered us. What a unit that Mowatt is btw. Like a fit prime Bradley 

Very much men against boys today, 2-1 flattered us and 5 or 6 nil would have probably been fairer, and for the woodwork and the outstanding Kaminski who really should have been man of the match, they could have racked up a few.

We are sorely lacking in attacking areas, you take Armstrong and Elliott away and you see the lack of quality, we are reliant on set pieces or today a huge error, otherwise we just dont even create chances. Today, aside from the goal, we created nothing really. Same at Millwall, aside from the goal from a set piece, no chances. And at Forest, did we create much of note bar the goals from our set pieces? Not really.

When we become reliant on Brereton and Gallagher their limited ability does show, how often were both offside? That coupled with how passive they are when the ball is played up to them makes it so difficult to gain any momentum, our best outlet was playing it up to Carter which tells you everything. Some seem content to praise Gallagher for trying but you need more than just effort, how poor is his first touch?

Then again, the midfield is also limited. The tactics that Mowbray used again were totally baffling and didnt work at all. Why was Clarkson playing so far forward? He made 2 good passes with the outside of his right foot in the absence of a left foot, one that should have been dealt with but led to the goal, overall he was ok id say, often anonymous. Buckley again didnt contribute and Rothwell was played too deep and aside from one or two flashes did very little. We need to sign a player who can get goals and provide a real spark from midfield as with the current crop, it is rare flashes but nothing subtantial. Travis was ok but not half as effective as on Wednesday night. Out of the subs, Davenport did fine, Chapman offered a threat but Dolan was really poor again, I do think he looks a little too raw and short of quality to play a regular part.

Defensively, Ayala has made a noticeable improvement but the wait for a clean sheet still goes on, the centre backs look fine but West Brom had so many chances, probably the main cause being a lack of protection around that. Pickering continues to underwhelm and Carter does his best but is obviously a centre back at right back, although as mentioned did provide an outlet.

• Like 7

After 3+ years back in this division, god knows how many windows or millions and with the same experienced manager at the helm we should be resembling something better than what we are.

Reality is though we are now just a plucky young team steered by a set of people just going through the motions.  The youthful fighting spirit will see us through this season if we get a few more additions and avoid death spirals.

It's what happens from now on that matters, anything can happen in the first few games and often does. Once it settles down we'll begin to see what we really are all about, there's a lot resting on next weekend now.

The spirit is clearly there to bounce back and grind out some kind of result.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 6

Rovers were beaten by what is a PL squad under a very good manager who has his way of playing. 

I was proud of the players who played their best of their ability and never stop working hard and for the shirt. We lack a couple of quality off the bench who could added to the game and change it for us and we might have took a point. 

Was surprised Mowbray opted for diamond midfield shape with Clarkson in the 10 role. He pass for the Rovers goal was classed and with the outside of the foot.

Kaminski made a nurmous of good saves and we must renewed his contract as matter of urgency. Man of the match for us today

Brereton now has 3 goals in 4 league games. 

Thought Carter, Brereton and Ayala had good games for us. 

I thought the Rovers fans today was outstanding and never stop backing the players who never stop themselves through singing, chanting and encouraging them. Huge credit to the fans who was there today

• Like 2

It was interesting to hear Kevin Gallagher comments regarding the first goal. He reckoned that even the footballing dogs in the street know our central midfield drop too deep in defence. That’s why they lad had a free shot from just outside the box. Whoever came out to block the shot it was a pretty half hearted attempt, too little, too late.

When I played central midfield we always had a defensive player in or around the “ D “.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I thought the Rovers fans today was outstanding and never stop backing the players who never stop themselves through singing, chanting and encouraging them. Huge credit to the fans who was there today

Am I right in remembering that there was not a single Tony Mowbray song sung?

Quite telling.

Credit to the supporters for being able to support without pandering to the undeserved (Tony) due to lack of other songs.

• Like 2

Desperately need a striker in. Creating is obviously an issue, especially as we are basically carrying Gallagher each game, 

Aside from that it's a good squad of young players who look set to do better than I expected this season. I think one or two of them could grow into good assets (providing we keep them under contract). 

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 minute ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Quite telling.

Credit to the supporters for being able to support without pandering to the undeserved (Tony) due to lack of other songs.

Tony Mowbrays blue and white army came from the Blackburn end a few times.

Was watching Chapman ‘warm up’ today and he looked like he had a real sulk on when davenport got the call and was barely even stretching, that said he looked a threat when he came on, think he deserves a start certainly Buckley couldn’t complain if he lost his place next time up.

Poor use of subs today, after a quiet first half Clarkson had just started to do a few good things including setting up the equaliser but then got hooked for Davenport. Also at 1-2 down we needed more attacking intent and ingenuity but to the extent he brought on attacking players he neutralised that by bringing off Rothwell and Buckley when Gallagher was clearly one who should have been replaced.

His subs always tend to be like for like and he rarely changes things round completely in an attempt to go for it and salvage a result

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Quite telling.

Yes they were a few times the Blackburn End started singing Tony Mowbray's blue and white army as Tom as pointed 

18 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Desperately need a striker in. Creating is obviously an issue, especially as we are basically carrying Gallagher each game, 

Aside from that it's a good squad of young players who look set to do better than I expected this season. I think one or two of them could grow into good assets (providing we keep them under contract). 

We need a striker coming off the bench today. This is the main reason why I have been so criticised of Mowbray chasing Obafemi for over 2 weeks instead of moving on and bringing in a replacement with days of Armstrong going to Southampton

Edited by chaddyrovers

26 minutes ago, arbitro said:

West Brom had a set piece or corner. He left nobody up and the likes of Clarkson were back defending. It also allowed them to flood the penalty area and no out ball for us.

I also noticed this ,but it did happen on one occasion when Dolan came on and i am sure it was one of the players who told him to go up and low and behold he took two West Brom players him ..

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why was Clarkson playing so far forward? He made 2 good passes with the outside of his right foot in the absence of a left foot, one that should have been dealt with but led to the goal, overall he was ok id say, often anonymous.

That goal was coming - their keeper was playing a very high risk game and got caught out.

If Gallagher had got a toe to that through ball he could have got their GK sent off.

17 minutes ago, Tom said:

Tony Mowbrays blue and white army came from the Blackburn end a few times.

Started on the far right of the BE and from my seat in the Block 2 top end it was obvious it was not going any further down, once it started ,i know the usual singers in my area and i can tell you now were normally they would tag along it didn't happen today or Swansea.. 

WBA are a more talented, more experienced, physically stronger and better coached team. Sometimes you just have to admit the other team were superior and give credit to our lads for giving it their best shot.

I spoke to three separate WBA fans whilst waiting to get off the car park. All three said we where the best side they have played by a mile and two said you should get into the play offs playing like that. They were taken back when I said I’d be happy just staying up this season.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, den9112 said:

Started on the far right of the BE and from my seat in the Block 2 top end it was obvious it was not going any further down, once it started ,i know the usual singers in my area and i can tell you now were normally they would tag along it didn't happen today or Swansea.. 

Same as at Millwall it was a group of young lads who kept trying all afternoon. It did not catch on much at all compared to other stuff. It used to be a main chant but people are very guarded this season it's obvious.

The jury is out more than some would like to think.

• Like 2