BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Middlesbrough away 28th August

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

What, so he can teach the squad how to go out on the lash and keep themselves generally unfit?

Not really mate, because he has been there and done it, experienced all of footballs highs and lows and is generally a good guy. Lot of time for the bloke and he seemed to be well liked by the squad in his time here. He also knew a thing or two about being a lone striker and how to hold it up. I don’t know who our striker coaches actually are at the moment but id rather have Graham than who we currently have

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Haha I’m not mowbrays biggest fan by a long shot but I’m content with how we have started the season, not any results I didn’t expect , bit of fishing going on here I take it 😂

100%. 

I guess I could gripe more, but, we have enough fans griping about TM. 

• Like 2

A point won this despite going a goal up from a pearler out the blue.

Usual disjointed tactics that had everyone including our own players trying to figure out what was going on. No surprise though this is Mogga magic as they call it on Teeside, magic because somehow it earned a point.

However whatever we lack in that dept they make up for in energy and commitment. It's been a long while since a Rovers side has battled and scraped like this for points in back to back games in succession. Give me that over possession rubbish and losing one nil with a pat on the managers back from oppo managers every week.

Keep this up over a season and we'll be fine, a bit more of this in recent seasons and we might have got somewhere.

• Like 6

Got a goal against the run of play, brilliant by Gallagher. Thought he put in a real shift today. Midfield was lacking and Travis had a difficult task doing the running for Poveda as well, who did not impress me (mostly defensively). Don't think Mowbray can afford to start with Breo and Poveda with our current 'style' of football.

Turned the tide when Morsy got sent off, he's a player I hate seeing on the opposition's team sheet. Always great battles between him and Travis I feel. Could have snatched a goal with a little more quality but in the end relieved to get a point today. Magloire played a good half too, looked slimmer than before and quicker on the turn.

11 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

The fact crowds hardly moved (apart from Oxford) when we spent months at the top of League 1 says not.

Rovers fans won’t be paying £40 in big numbers even if we are doing well this season. And as STs make up the vast majority of our support and will be off sale in a week, the fact we’ve scrapped 6,000 sales says whatever happens crowds will be low this term. 

But where you are correct is that offers on tickets don’t really have much of an impact if the team is plodding about. Though Wigan before Christmas the other year when Dack got injured saw a hefty bump in the crowd when they were reduced.

Back in the day, a match ticket/buy on the gate was reasonably priced, so if we were on a good run dad, lad, a load of pals would be down to Ewood on a Saturday bumping the gate. At £38-42 in the JW, that ain’t happening.

But Matty ..the bar setting  of success for fans from Lancaster ..the Fylde coast  and other surrounding areas  outside Blackburn which boosted our PL attendances  etc .etc.. wasnt set at success at League One ..they were used to PL . The coaches from far and wide around Lancashire are now non existent. They used to fill the land in front of the Fox n Hounds pub.They aint interested in League One success.

You ll only see a filling (not even a full house ..no where near ) at Ewood if we re coasting to Promotion or back in the so called Promised Land ..regardless of price.

As for Tomphil ..i get where you are coming from regarding keeping the base of Rovers ST holders ..but when you re down to a base of 10000 ? there are lots of factors that can influence that figure give or take 1000..regardless of price...which makes a big impression on such a small ST fan base.

As daft as it is (i know it is !) but if Rovers put on a free bar or 2 quid a pint for two hours before the game serving decent ale i still maintain that that would have more upward influence on attendance figures  than a cheaper ticket. Its a sad indictment of these times but no different what Stanley are doing by reducing beer prices to  2 quid a pint after the game if they win ..  i know living in the Accy area what a draw to the game that is   ! It really does drag people in ..

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gavrover said:

Good point away despite their goal. 8 from 15 is playoff level points. Maintaining it is another story

Pretty much the same story every season under Mowbray. There are months we have solid play off form. Then death spirals where it’s solid relegation form and seemingly little middle ground. 

• Like 2

Good atmosphere despite the lower numbers, which comes down to a mixture of train/ticket prices being quite high. Nice to see Dolan coming over at the end and giving a shirt to a young girl at her first ever game. 

8 from 15 is very respectable. Two weeks rest for Ayala and start strong against Luton. 

1 minute ago, Riverside under the drip said:

Just got back.

Positives:

Defenders blocking and heading away like nobody's business.

Gallagher looking lively.

Negatives:

Really poor work-rate in midfield when out of possession (no, really, really bad) such that our defenders HAD to be good to avoid a drubbing.

Mowbray couldn't help but meddle and move our goal-scoring forward out to the wings and kill our momentum. VERY poor tactics of hoofball yet again.

Kaminski not coming for crosses and kicking the ball out every time.

Overall:

Poveda and Clarkson didn't look that much better than our kids. Certainly not like players who'll boss the league. A point was what we (just about) deserved but Boro will wonder how they didn't win that.

Bout sums it up.

7 minutes ago, Riverside under the drip said:

Just got back.

Positives:

Defenders blocking and heading away like nobody's business.

Gallagher looking lively.

Negatives:

Really poor work-rate in midfield when out of possession (no, really, really bad) such that our defenders HAD to be good to avoid a drubbing.

Mowbray couldn't help but meddle and move our goal-scoring forward out to the wings and kill our momentum. VERY poor tactics of hoofball yet again.

Kaminski not coming for crosses and kicking the ball out every time.

Overall:

Poveda and Clarkson didn't look that much better than our kids. Certainly not like players who'll boss the league. A point was what we (just about) deserved but Boro will wonder how they didn't win that.

Would have to disagree on Pov. He’s got that individuality that we only have in Rothwell. He’ll shine this season and he looked very lively in the first 30 minutes. 

Clarkson I think I’m more inclined to agree with. What’s he bringing that Buckley doesn’t already?

17 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Good atmosphere despite the lower numbers, which comes down to a mixture of train/ticket prices being quite high. Nice to see Dolan coming over at the end and giving a shirt to a young girl at her first ever game. 

8 from 15 is very respectable. Two weeks rest for Ayala and start strong against Luton. 

Quite a decent following up there that today.

2 hours ago, El Tombro said:

Interesting that he said that the Sam Morsy sending off was a straight red all day long. I didn't see Morsy protest too much so it must have been worse close up than it looked.

I'm curious about the "Mogloire is pony" comments. Is he? He was good and gave our defence extra leverage. Something had to change, and something tells me that this unglamorous substitution salvaged a point for us.

Well done Rovers. A respectable point and I can enjoy the rest of the evening. 🍻

There was one point in 2nd half where he ran to cover very well in the centre.

To be fair i reckon Mowbrays idea was to have the on loan flair kids on knowing they'd come at us and press from the off. Probably hoping to counter and get some good touches etc from them then bring the other 2 on to do the dirty work later on.

Didn't really work they looked lost and i think most of us would've done it the other way around or something different anyway. Got through it in the end though similar to at  Millwall so that's a nice new habit developing.

When  teams  like those have thrown their sink at you and it hasn't worked then they've not much else to offer. It's not something we'll keep getting away with though we need to start being bang at it from the off.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tomphil said:

800+ there on the day.

I suppose if they were vocally well supported that’s fine. But for me I always thought less than 1,000 on a Saturday afternoon for rovers anywhere in the country is my line in the sand for being a joke. £30 + covid + Mowbray + venkys = this. That said went boro before or after a millennium stadium game 500 max, Everton away after Rotterdam same. Defo niche examples but I suppose less than 1000 is the ‘new normal.’

• Like 1