BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Middlesbrough away 28th August

10 minutes ago, matt83 said:

I suppose if they were vocally well supported that’s fine. But for me I always thought less than 1,000 on a Saturday afternoon for rovers anywhere in the country is my line in the sand for being a joke. £30 + covid + Mowbray + venkys = this. That said went boro before or after a millennium stadium game 500 max, Everton away after Rotterdam same. Defo niche examples but I suppose less than 1000 is the ‘new normal.’

Last few times iv'e been there was around 6/700, been countless times and the most i think iv'e seen there is 1400 ish.  That was when Hughes was manager although i agree with what you are saying.

Not the dearest but for a Northern team it's always at the higher end of the scale. They can get away with it up there though they know only hardy travellers will go. On the home front they had a good crowd in but as someone mentioned earlier the catchment area is there and they believe in their ownership.

37 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Would have to disagree on Pov. He’s got that individuality that we only have in Rothwell. He’ll shine this season and he looked very lively in the first 30 minutes. 

Clarkson I think I’m more inclined to agree with. What’s he bringing that Buckley doesn’t already?

Hard to know yet, but the fact he has played for Liverpool would suggest there's something 

Great point considering I don’t think we were at the races today. Can’t believe the ref sent Carter off, he didn’t even see the boy, very harsh. Morsy is a horrible wee player but every team needs someone in the middle of the park kicking people.

Pickering is starting to scare me know, was embarrassed a few times in the first half by dicksteel.

Lenihan was so poor again today for me. Didn’t lose many headers but on the deck was a horror show. 
Ayala was immense again.

Nyambe hopefully back after the break. We need him. Would not be surprised to see a PL team come in for him on deadline day.

Poveda looked great first 25 mins or so. Assist on the first game isn’t bad. Faded badly.

Someone already alluded to it but that was a very Buckleyish performance from the Liverpool wonderkid today. That wont cut it Leighton.

Rothwell didn’t do anything until he got hammered by one of their boys. 

Brereton was mince 

Gallagher looked good through the middle. 

Edited by Fraserkirky

14 hours ago, Gav said:

As for todays game, I've been delighted with the start we've made to this season, much better than anyone anticipated.

1-1 draw 

Plenty of us picked the score today, but how many had money on it?

I would imagine Steve Gibson is scratching his head this evening after shelling out £10m in the summer and coming up with only 1 point against a depleted Blackburn Rovers side. 

A goal for Sam Gallagher, coupled with several for Diaz so far this season, who needs Armstrong?

It’s been a tremendous start, better than anyone could have expected and long may it continue. 

Onwards and upwards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Would have to disagree on Pov. He’s got that individuality that we only have in Rothwell. He’ll shine this season and he looked very lively in the first 30 minutes. 

Clarkson I think I’m more inclined to agree with. What’s he bringing that Buckley doesn’t already?

Doesn't matter on what people think players will bring. TM utilizes them wrong. The Columbian is as much  false nine as Dolan is (actually Dolan is better), we aint Barcelona. Name another side in this division that plays 5ft wingers up front and 6ft strikers on the wing.

TM has to go.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

A good point in the end.  I thought we looked better after we brought our three subs on.  I suspect Championship football is going to come as a shock to Poveda and Clarkson who looked completely lost at times.  We desperately need seasoned pros who can put themselves about or we are going to get bullied in this League on a regular basis.  I thought we looked better with Buckley and Dolan who at least put themselves about.

Gallagher looked better in the middle, worked hard and scored a cracking goal.  Brereton was awful and for a so called international footballer his first touch is shocking.

I thought Ayala was excellent again in the centre of defence and we desperately need to keep him fit.

Eight points from the games we've had is a decent return considering the squad we have.

Didn't Poveda play a part in Leeds promotion? I don't think he wasn't integral though - which suggests he isn't all that. Our Dolan did better. 

Edited by JacknOry

8 minutes ago, Gav said:

Plenty of us picked the score today, but how many had money on it?

I would imagine Steve Gibson is scratching his head this evening after shelling out £10m in the summer and coming up with only 1 point against a depleted Blackburn Rovers side. 

A goal for Sam Gallagher, coupled with several for Diaz so far this season, who needs Armstrong?

It’s been a tremendous start, better than anyone could have expected and long may it continue. 

Onwards and upwards.

A Blackburn side with 12 million worth of attackers...mind you. 

9 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Didn't Poveda play a part in Leeds promotion? I don't think he wasn't integral though - which suggests he isn't all that. Our Dolan did better. 

To be fair, I think he was about 18-19 then, so understandably he only had occasional sub appearances.

Expecting (hoping!) for better from he and Clarkson soon though, otherwise I fear we’re just preventing more of our lads from progressing.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

A Blackburn side with 12 million worth of attackers...mind you. 

The experts on here say they’re a waste of money, so we can’t count them Jack can we….

😀

Edited by Gav

25 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Good away point today against a decent Boro team. We've started the season better than I expected but its a long season and we're well short on numbers and quality. It's looking like there are at least three worse teams than us though. 

Good post but I hope it's not the continuing race for the bottom....

Rubbish performance today. Can’t see what Clarkson is going to add to the team compared with Elliott last season. Povieda too faded after a bright start.

Boro will be kicking themselves that they didn’t win this game. They were exactly what I would expect a Rovers team to be but without the cutting edge. 

What a difference with Buckley and Dolan on the pitch

1 hour ago, HowieFive0 said:

But Matty ..the bar setting  of success for fans from Lancaster ..the Fylde coast  and other surrounding areas  outside Blackburn which boosted our PL attendances  etc .etc.. wasnt set at success at League One ..they were used to PL . The coaches from far and wide around Lancashire are now non existent. They used to fill the land in front of the Fox n Hounds pub.They aint interested in League One success.

You ll only see a filling (not even a full house ..no where near ) at Ewood if we re coasting to Promotion or back in the so called Promised Land ..regardless of price.

As for Tomphil ..i get where you are coming from regarding keeping the base of Rovers ST holders ..but when you re down to a base of 10000 ? there are lots of factors that can influence that figure give or take 1000..regardless of price...which makes a big impression on such a small ST fan base.

As daft as it is (i know it is !) but if Rovers put on a free bar or 2 quid a pint for two hours before the game serving decent ale i still maintain that that would have more upward influence on attendance figures  than a cheaper ticket. Its a sad indictment of these times but no different what Stanley are doing by reducing beer prices to  2 quid a pint after the game if they win ..  i know living in the Accy area what a draw to the game that is   ! It really does drag people in ..

I agree, doing well in the third division isn’t ‘success’ here, but it wasn’t me that said merely winning games pulls in the punters.

So a combination of being down to just c6000 ST holders, sky high match tickets and a pretty bang average team says we ain’t seeing a decent crowd this season - indeed a decent team at the top end wouldn’t either due to the fact we’ve sold so few STs and it’s £30/£40 if you just fancied taking in an attractive fixture.

Great point re the Accy Stanley ‘experience’. Ewood really is a generally soulless, dilapidated place these days, and that isn’t just because of the numbers, Accy have shown what you can do on a match day even with a core of less than 2k.

• Like 1

I agree with the consensus that it's a good, hard earned point. Although there were no 9/10 performances I thought there enough 6's and 7's to get us the point. Gallagher seemed a different proposition in the middle to what we have seen for too long on the wing. For the first half hour I thought he was our best player but faded and ultimately disappeared as Mowbray shunted him wide in favour of Dolan. The two loanees looked way out of their depth and not really ready for Championship football particularly against physical teams like Middlesbrough. Personally I thought Kaminski looked suspect throughout and his distribution was poor.

A special word however for the referee. After seeing awful performance the night before at Leyland I thought would be a while before I would see one as bad. How wrong I was. The new tolerance they are showing has simply led to huge inconsistencies when judging and punishing foul play. Today the referee looked like he was struggling with what is it isn't a foul and angered both sets of players, officials and fans. I know from personal experience that takes some doing.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

The goal...

"It was just what Sam needed. Play him down the centre, not out wide, as a number 9."

We can see it, Graham can see it. Gally'll be on the wing next game, and someone like Clarkson or Dolan will be in the middle.

Tony'll just not accept the blindingly obvious on this, will he?

• Like 2

Anyone have an eye on the bench. Is TM running the show or are there signs that subs are chosen by Venus/Lowe for example?

I ask because I have never seen TM this active on touchline but also we are playing more "pragmatic" football with some (far from all) sensible decisions and a better allround spirit (tbh think part of that linked to the return of fans)