BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Clwb Pei-droed Dinas Caerdydd (h) 25/09/2021 3pm.

57 minutes ago, D-side17 said:

Does anyone know what sort of time the players tend to leave the ground after the game? Is it long after the final whistle?

I'm taking my two boys to their first Rovers game on Saturday and I'd like them to get their photos taken with some of the players if possible. We live in Leicester so it's no easy feat to keep a 4 and 7 year old supporting a mid-table Championship team which is 100 miles away when all their mates support Leicester. It hasn't helped that while we've stagnated in the Championship, Leicester have decided to win leagues and cups, challenge for the top 4 in the Premier League and play in Europe just as I'm trying to convince my lads of the merits of supporting Rovers!

To be fair to my boys, my indoctrination has been working and they've stuck with Rovers so far despite the repeated attempts by their friends and my wife's family to convince them to support their "local club"!

I just need to get them more emotionally invested in Rovers and so hopefully taking them to their first game and getting photos with some of the players may help to achieve that!

I don't know if it still applies but because of Covid there was a blanket ban on players posing with supporters for photographs of giving autographs. That said on Saturday at Barnsley several players gave their shirts to kids in the crowd. I'd give the club a call and ask the question. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I don't know if it still applies but because of Covid there was a blanket ban on players posing with supporters for photographs of giving autographs. That said on Saturday at Barnsley several players gave their shirts to kids in the crowd. I'd give the club a call and ask the question. 

Ah, I see. That will be annoying if that's still the case. I'll ring the club to find out as you suggest.

Thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

I know this doesn’t answer your question D-side17 but here’s an observation.

A friend of mine who supports Stoke City but lives up here took his grandson to his first game at the Brittania Stadium the other week. He rang the club to ask if they was anything they could do to mark the occasion. They asked for his seat number and  asked him to be in the ground 15 minutes before kick off. When they took their seats, two club employees, in uniform, came to them with a goodie bag of Stoke City branded items and a certificate signed by the staff to commemorate the lad’s first game.

They’ve now got a (Lancashire based) supporter for life.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, arbitro said:

Those are the rules but at Barnsley, as you say, Boro and Forest some of the players were high 5’ing fans and posing for selfies.

Barrie Hole is another player with Rovers-Cardiff connections. Played for us from 1966-68, old fashioned  left half with a good left foot. “Give is a goal, give us a goal Barrie Hole” we used to sing. What frolicking fun we had in those days 

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Wiggy said:

I know this doesn’t answer your question D-side17 but here’s an observation.

A friend of mine who supports Stoke City but lives up here took his grandson to his first game at the Brittania Stadium the other week. He rang the club to ask if they was anything they could do to mark the occasion. They asked for his seat number and  asked him to be in the ground 15 minutes before kick off. When they took their seats, two club employees, in uniform, came to them with a goodie bag of Stoke City branded items and a certificate signed by the staff to commemorate the lad’s first game.

They’ve now got a (Lancashire based) supporter for life.

Thanks Wiggy. I have contacted the club as suggested so let's see if anything materialises!

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2021/september/-We-have-to-find-the-answer-to-get-his-body-to-a-state-of-robustness-/

Sounds like Rankin Costello is still well away from first team involvement having picked up a hamstring injury.

His injury proneness is a huge worry, he makes Ayala look robust. With Nyambe set to leave on a free, Rankin Costello will seemingly be next in line, which itself is questionable, but he is of no use if he is made of glass.

• Like 1

Da iawn re the thread title!!!

Only came on because we’re coming up on Saturday and one of my mates was wondering if it’s cashless in your ground?

Read through a couple of posts and will give a bit of input from our end.

We’ll set up as a 5 3 2 which sounds s lot more attacking than it actually is. In reality, two of our midfielders are defensive - as is one of our “forwards”, Bacuna. In effect, we’ll play with 8 defensive minded players. Typical Mick McCarthy pragmatism.

Our game plan will be to clear our lines as far forward as we can, by-passing midfield and playing for throw ins and set pieces - where we’ll launch it to one of our giants.

You’ll exploit our complete lack of pace and win comfortably - 3:1 would be my guess. Be prepared to be bored senseless.

I’ll have had a couple of beers by this stage - purely medicinal to numb the pain.

See you Saturday.

Prynhawn da pawb.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2021/september/-We-have-to-find-the-answer-to-get-his-body-to-a-state-of-robustness-/

Sounds like Rankin Costello is still well away from first team involvement having picked up a hamstring injury.

His injury proneness is a huge worry, he makes Ayala look robust. With Nyambe set to leave on a free, Rankin Costello will seemingly be next in line, which itself is questionable, but he is of no use if he is made of glass.

Pike should be next in line for right-back, not JRC. But some idiot has sent him out on loan.

14 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

He's only gone out on loan for a month to be fair.

I thought Carter did well as a stand in right back to be honest.

The problem with Carter is, the fact he is a stand-in. Pike is a right full-back. 

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Another hamstring issue,  seems like he can't shake those, which is a worry. He's not likely to get a good run of games under his belt anytime soon. 

• Like 1

On 19/09/2021 at 17:39, Proudtobeblue&white said:

I have only been to Cardiff once, did it piss down! 

All in all it was a reet good weekend. I had money and stayed at the Hilton.....Souness and the team brought the cup back that night. I think I got drunk!

Head to head: W 26 D 22 L24 - close.

First game at Ewood 02/01/1922 lost 1-3.

Most recent, at Cardiff April 21: 2-2.

Only club, not from England, to have won the FA Cup - 1927.

Recent players to have played for both clubs, Rudy Gestede and Junior Hoilette. 

Little known fact, Rudy shares my birthday (10/10).

Eight games played, Rovers giddy in sixth, 13 points, Cardiff tenth, 11 points. TM needs to feck off, but on the basis it won't happen in the next week, he will no doubt "shuffle the pack" yet again.

I predict a riot,  but no idea about the score.

DO NOT GO GENTLE INTO THAT GOOD NIGHT....Dylan Marlais Thomas (before you all shout he was born in Swansea....he's still Welsh), a sombre poem at best....sums up the fact we should all pull together to hope at some point the Loons depart and we can rise again. 

Here's to a win. COYB'S.........

1721239538_WorthingtonCupFinal.thumb.jpg.3484b4fcd77ca830d954b3d1e83cabad.jpg

Looks like Rudy shares the wife’s birthday, oh and her twin sisters too. 

This one has draw written all over it 1-1.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Another hamstring issue,  seems like he can't shake those, which is a worry. He's not likely to get a good run of games under his belt anytime soon. 

I’m not aware of a hamstring issue. They are taking their time with his recovery as it is common to get tweaks and strains when coming back from a long layoff.

1 hour ago, JohnGo said:

I’m not aware of a hamstring issue. They are taking their time with his recovery as it is common to get tweaks and strains when coming back from a long layoff.

He missed loads of last season with a hamstring injury, came back and fracturedhis metatarsal.

He played in an under 23's game last month and then picked up another hamstring injury which has kept him out since and is still a few weeks away from first team training.

7 hours ago, davulsukur said:

He missed loads of last season with a hamstring injury, came back and fracturedhis metatarsal.

He played in an under 23's game last month and then picked up another hamstring injury which has kept him out since and is still a few weeks away from first team training.

I’ve not seen this in any of the press, I watched his half against Leicester, he looked ring rusty but physically looked okay. I’ve again gone back through the last months telegraph and can’t see any references to another hamstring injury. Where did you pick it up?

2 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

I’ve not seen this in any of the press, I watched his half against Leicester, he looked ring rusty but physically looked okay. I’ve again gone back through the last months telegraph and can’t see any references to another hamstring injury. Where did you pick it up?

It was mentioned in the article from the Rovers website to which roversfan99 provided a link yesterday (further up the page):

"Having fractured a metatarsal against Wycombe Wanderers back in April, Rankin-Costello recovered to feature for the Under-23s in the draw against Leicester City last month.

However, a tweaked hamstring has stopped the versatile midfielder in his tracks, with the number 11 still a couple of weeks away from joining in full training."

24 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

I have heard the same, and he has not appeared for the U23s since the Leicester game.

I can't say I fancy our chances tomorrow. I fear this is exactly the type of game to highlight the weaknesses in our side. A very physical visiting side that loves to hurl long throws and sling crosses in to the big striker, Moore, who is very good at this level. Two big lads at the back in Flint and Morrison, good defenders, who also have an eye for goal and who will cause us problems from set pieces. Personally, I don't see Brereton or Gallagher laying a glove on either of them.

A win would be massive for us, even this early on in the season. I hope this post is proven to be nonsense come 5pm tomorrow, but I worry it's likely to be a case of men against boys as they bully our midfield and see out an ugly but comfortable 2-0 win.

• Like 2

On 23/09/2021 at 16:27, rigger said:

Pike should be next in line for right-back, not JRC. But some idiot has sent him out on loan.

On 23/09/2021 at 16:33, MarkBRFC said:

He's only gone out on loan for a month to be fair.

I thought Carter did well as a stand in right back to be honest.

Thing is, if Pike comes back and makes even one sub appearance for us, then if I'm remembering the rules rightly we wouldn't be able to send him on loan anywhere else in January if he hasn't broken into the team properly, which would stall his development. Unless the rules only apply to the pro leagues (he has gone to the National League North).