Jump to content

BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Clwb Pei-droed Dinas Caerdydd (h) 25/09/2021 3pm.


Recommended Posts

Big test this one. Apart from WBA, the only team currently in the top half that we will have played. A win would lay down a marker of sorts and show it isn't just teams with terrible form we can put away (although it would probably condemn Cardiff back to the bottom half so the conversation may continue to a degree, and there are better teams ahead).

Since 2018, we have apparently never won a game whilst placed higher than 9th in the league. That's in 15 games played whilst 8th or higher - 5 draws, 10 defeats. The 12 games played when we have been in 9th have been better but not great either (3 wins, 5 draws, 4 losses).  So it may also begin to banish our nosebleed problem we have whenever we get up here.

A defeat however would reinforce the belief that Mowbray's Rovers crack under the pressure of competing at the top end of the league, and at least for now shift the expectations of many back to a mid table scrap or worse.

Come on lads, let's send em packing!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Found the below on a Rovers Facebook group which I believe BB was alluding to above. Our results over the last 3 years when we have been in and around the playoff spots. Backs up what weve always been saying. Can we do it against Cardiff and break our hoodoo?

FB_IMG_1632093298136.jpg.a216c30e0cf221f87b5f78f41814ef05.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Herbie6590 changed the title to v Clwb Pei-droed Dinas Caerdydd (a) 29/09/2021 3pm.
  • J*B pinned this topic

Certainly a tough game for Rovers but its not an unwinnable game.

Mowbrays team need to be brave but savvy as Cardiff have the players who can score goals at will especially if they are given space.

Danger man is Moore.

Cardiff have shown a defensive weakness this season and its up to Rovers to exploit it.

I never realised we had such a wretched record having hit the top 6, time for it to change. 1-0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As others have said, the date could do with being corrected in the thread title. Otherwise a great write-up. The Worthington Cup Final weekend was a highlight of 50+ years of watching Rovers for me, possibly even beats Anfield 95.

A couple of other players to wear both shirts recently (although neither played many games for us) are Greg Cunningham and the late Peter Whittingham. 

Other notable recent incidents in this fixture were Shane Duffy's disgraceful last game for us and Arma's worldie a couple of seasons ago.

I think I would take a point right now. Edit - just realised its actually a home game so no, I want all 3 points now :)

 

 

Edited by oldjamfan1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cardiff will come and play 3 at the back with wing backs. then midfield 3 and 2 up front. So I would play 4-3-3 and this would be my team

                   Kaminski

Nyambe Lenihan Ayala Pickering

       Buckley Travis Rothwell

   Dolan     Brereton      Khadra

subs:- Pears, Carter, Edun, Davenport, Clarkson, Butterworth, Gallagher

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Craigman said:

I thought we were home to Cardiff on the 25th September at 3pm?

Checks notes......my title was too large to be pinned. I headed it Rovers v Cardiff, and I put 25th September!!!

I can't alter it now it's pinned.

Edited by Proudtobeblue&white
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Deffo, I was driving a Honda V-Tech, was back in Cornwall and in the pub by 8pm.👍

Honda V-Tech, cracking car but a gas guzzler.

We were on a coach to go back to Lancashire listening to the radio when every person phoning in spoke with a cockney accent and every one of them started with the words, " I'm gutted". So, so hilarious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, bazza said:

Honda V-Tech, cracking car but a gas guzzler.

We were on a coach to go back to Lancashire listening to the radio when every person phoning in spoke with a cockney accent and every one of them started with the words, " I'm gutted". So, so hilarious.

One of the most satisfying aspects of that day is how Spurs had been built up as the strong favourites, despite being only negligibly higher than us in the league. It was such a ridiculous 'big club' and Londoncentric love-in, and it was fucking great to crash that party.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • DE. changed the title to v Clwb Pei-droed Dinas Caerdydd (a) 25/09/2021 3pm.
On 19/09/2021 at 16:39, Proudtobeblue&white said:

I have only been to Cardiff once, did it piss down! 

All in all it was a reet good weekend. I had money and stayed at the Hilton.....Souness and the team brought the cup back that night. I think I got drunk!

Head to head: W 26 D 22 L24 - close.

First game at Ewood 02/01/1922 lost 1-3.

Most recent, at Cardiff April 21: 2-2.

Only club, not from England, to have won the FA Cup - 1927.

Recent players to have played for both clubs, Rudy Gestede and Junior Hoilette. 

Little known fact, Rudy shares my birthday (10/10).

Eight games played, Rovers giddy in sixth, 13 points, Cardiff tenth, 11 points. TM needs to feck off, but on the basis it won't happen in the next week, he will no doubt "shuffle the pack" yet again.

I predict a riot,  but no idea about the score.

DO NOT GO GENTLE INTO THAT GOOD NIGHT....Dylan Marlais Thomas (before you all shout he was born in Swansea....he's still Welsh), a sombre poem at best....sums up the fact we should all pull together to hope at some point the Loons depart and we can rise again. 

Here's to a win. COYB'S.........

1721239538_WorthingtonCupFinal.thumb.jpg.3484b4fcd77ca830d954b3d1e83cabad.jpg

I’ve never bothered to keep my tickets. They mean nothing to anybody else, I have my memories of all our visits to the Mellennium Stadium. After beating Spurs (deserved), it must be Andy Todd smacking Van Persie, priceless 💪👍🤪

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/09/2021 at 10:38, chaddyrovers said:

Cardiff will come and play 3 at the back with wing backs. then midfield 3 and 2 up front. So I would play 4-3-3 and this would be my team

                   Kaminski

Nyambe Lenihan Ayala Pickering

       Buckley Travis Rothwell

   Dolan     Brereton      Khadra

subs:- Pears, Carter, Edun, Davenport, Clarkson, Butterworth, Gallagher

I wonder if it would be worth matching them up 343?

                      Kaminski

        Lenihan    Ayala   Carter

Nyambe   Buckley   Travis    Pickering

          Dolan                 Rothwell

                      Brereton

Think that setup would suit us and allow us to better compete in midfield.  Bring Butterworth and Khadra on for Dolan and one of Rothwell/Buckley second half. 

If Clarkson starts I think I'll scream.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I wonder if it would be worth matching them up 343?

                      Kaminski

        Lenihan    Ayala   Carter

Nyambe   Buckley   Travis    Pickering

          Dolan                 Rothwell

                      Brereton

Think that setup would suit us and allow us to better compete in midfield.  Bring Butterworth and Khadra on for Dolan and one of Rothwell/Buckley second half. 

If Clarkson starts I think I'll scream.

Depends whether they set up 3-5-2 or 3-4-3? I think 4-3-3 is the right way to go with Pace down the wings getting between their centre backs and wing backs. Tho I wouldn't be surprised if we play a similar formation to the Barnsley game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kaminski

Nyambe Lenihan Ayala Pickering

Travis Johnson

Khadra Rothwell Brereton

Butterworth

We have kept 2 consecutive clean sheets so I wouldn't change the structure of the defence to try to counteract Cardiff at home. Back 4 (and keeper) picks itself.

Further forward, its about as many players in positions that suit us as possible. Brereton as a central striker is a struggle, I would put him back wide where he is better. Poveda and Dolan were particularly poor at the weekend, give Khadra a start. Rothwell isn't a central midfielder, get him running at players in the final third, Johnson can give us some physicality if he is fit enough, failing that, Edun or Davenport.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • DE. changed the title to v Clwb Pei-droed Dinas Caerdydd (h) 25/09/2021 3pm.
3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Kaminski

Nyambe Lenihan Ayala Pickering

Travis Johnson

Khadra Rothwell Brereton

Butterworth

We have kept 2 consecutive clean sheets so I wouldn't change the structure of the defence to try to counteract Cardiff at home. Back 4 (and keeper) picks itself.

Further forward, its about as many players in positions that suit us as possible. Brereton as a central striker is a struggle, I would put him back wide where he is better. Poveda and Dolan were particularly poor at the weekend, give Khadra a start. Rothwell isn't a central midfielder, get him running at players in the final third, Johnson can give us some physicality if he is fit enough, failing that, Edun or Davenport.

why drop Buckley for Johnson? Is Johnson even fit enough to start and as we witness on Saturday that Poveda didn;t look fit enough to start that game. 

Butterworth isn't a number 9 striker at all. He is number 10 or wide player. He isn;t physical enough for their back 3 and would be easy for them defend against him. Thats why I expect Mowbray to pick Gallagher up front with Dolan and Brereton wide in 4-3-3. 

and dropping Dolan is a massive mistake for me. We need his pace to run in behind and between their back 3 to caused them problems. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

and dropping Dolan is a massive mistake for me. We need his pace to run in behind and between their back 3 to caused them problems. 

 

I agree with you on Dolan. He lacks quality at times, but never gives the opposition defence a moments peace.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Butterworth will need to start on the bench. TM would probably put him there regardless, but he looked tired after a short cameo recently, and just started against Accy for the u23s. I don't see him having the fitness yet to play 60-90 mins on Saturday, and risking it with his injury record would be pretty stupid. Although that last bit about it being pretty stupid makes me wonder if it will happen...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

why drop Buckley for Johnson? Is Johnson even fit enough to start and as we witness on Saturday that Poveda didn;t look fit enough to start that game. 

Butterworth isn't a number 9 striker at all. He is number 10 or wide player. He isn;t physical enough for their back 3 and would be easy for them defend against him. Thats why I expect Mowbray to pick Gallagher up front with Dolan and Brereton wide in 4-3-3. 

and dropping Dolan is a massive mistake for me. We need his pace to run in behind and between their back 3 to caused them problems. 

 

Butterworth should start ahead of Dolan, has pace, doesn’t try all the tricks and flicks that Dolan does with about a 50% success rate. Plus he’s scored when fit for the u23’s he deserves a starting position.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone know what sort of time the players tend to leave the ground after the game? Is it long after the final whistle?

I'm taking my two boys to their first Rovers game on Saturday and I'd like them to get their photos taken with some of the players if possible. We live in Leicester so it's no easy feat to keep a 4 and 7 year old supporting a mid-table Championship team which is 100 miles away when all their mates support Leicester. It hasn't helped that while we've stagnated in the Championship, Leicester have decided to win leagues and cups, challenge for the top 4 in the Premier League and play in Europe just as I'm trying to convince my lads of the merits of supporting Rovers!

To be fair to my boys, my indoctrination has been working and they've stuck with Rovers so far despite the repeated attempts by their friends and my wife's family to convince them to support their "local club"!

I just need to get them more emotionally invested in Rovers and so hopefully taking them to their first game and getting photos with some of the players may help to achieve that!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.