BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League season 21/22

16 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Good to see Newcastle get battered yesterday, would be hilarious if they went down.

Agreed. The way they treated Bruce was awful. Bruce did a good job with the tools available. 

Also when they got taken oven, every toon fan I know (and I'm unfortunate enough to know a lot) said the goal was just to survive this season then start building in the summer so many would be happy with a temp manager to keep them up. Two of the first names you think of in that situation? Big Sam and Bruce. 

If Martinez is the favourite there's no guarentee they'll stay up. Massively overated as a club manager

15 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Never rated Moyes as a Manager but he has this West Ham side playing some good football.

I like Moyes, I think he's a great manager. It didn't worn out at Manchester United (but no one has) he's one of those managers who plays a style that suits the players he has. He may have played boring football at times but that's because he had players that suit that style. Give him a few flair players and see what he's doing. 

7 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Sacking pochetinho was a huge mistake.  Serves them righ

Under poch I wanted them to get a trophy so much and its being highlighted now what a great job he did. I don't think many fans wanted him gone. 

Sacking Jose the week before the league Cup final was criminal and I have no sympathy for the club. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

I think the Spurs target maybe is  also a Newcastle target and panicked into this  ?

God knows who will go to either club , Spurs are infinitely better placed at the moment ...

Look like Conte is the first target and will be London today 

Edited by chaddyrovers

55 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Agreed. The way they treated Bruce was awful. Bruce did a good job with the tools available. 

I have a rather longer memory of Bruce which tempers any positive feelings I might have. Was it three times early in his career that he walked out on clubs and contracts to take another job? And there was the small matter of his comments about Rovers fans in our attitude to Steve Kean.

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Was it three times early in his career that he walked out on clubs and contracts to take another job?

I've no issue with that. Managers are rarely shown loyalty by clubs so there should be no expectation for managers to turn down other opportunities.

Conte is too good for Spurs but then when we look at the alternatives for a manager of his calibre he might have a long wait. He missed out on the Real Madrid job in the summer. United likely to stick with Solskjaer. Liverpool, Chelsea and City happy as they are. Juve rebuilding under Allegri. Barcelona in financial crisis. Bayern is a no. PSG happy with Pochettino. Just left Inter.

Not many other clubs in a top league that could equip him with the finances and opportunity for success.

In theory Spurs should have the ingredients - brilliant stadium, training ground and academy. London location.

I was surprised that Mourinho took the job there at a club with no recent history of success as it was uncharacteristic. Conte will be the same sort of surprise. Having worked at Juve, Inter and Chelsea - all with records of success - Spurs is an anomaly. But he may fancy himself to change that.

Arsenal's improvement has coincided with returning to a more traditional formation of 4-4-2, with Lacazette and Aubamayang up front together, with Saka and Smith-Rowe on the wings. Meanwhile, Man City, with their immense riches and talent, are playing Foden as a lone forward and remain inconsistent - though, no doubt will finish first or second.

I don't see enough football to understand the way formations and tactics have shifted in England - inspired, particularly, by Liverpool and, perhaps, City, but I firmly believe that many clubs up and down the country are making a mistake by blindly following the methods of elite clubs. 

Edited by riverholmes

1 hour ago, RoverDom said:

I've no issue with that. Managers are rarely shown loyalty by clubs so there should be no expectation for managers to turn down other opportunities.

There might not be great loyalty but do you have an example of a club not paying up a manager's contract on sacking them?

Just waiting for the interview with Richard Bevan of the LMA expressing his disgust at the number of sackings and managers not being given sufficient time in a job.

He was quick to draw public attention to the ongoings at Rovers when we sacked Michael Appleton after only a few months in the job, so can only assume he will be doing the same now that Spurs have sacked Santo just a couple of months after winning Manager of the Month and still in the League Cup/Europe.

• Like 2

• Backroom
13 minutes ago, El Tombro said:

Arsenal and United are/were poisoned chalices after having had managers there for so long. Revie being replaced by Clough at Leeds is another classic case that springs to mind.

I reckon Emery would do well at Newcastle.

He might have a rough time. I've heard the new board will be quite abrasive.

• Like 5

Looking at it from Conte's point of view this is a low risk move for him.

He's out of work and presumably in the last few months hasn't had many offers from rich clubs in good leagues. Suspect he has had word that he isn't on United's radar or that they won't be sacking Solskjaer in the near future.

Missed out on the Real job in the summer. No other obvious options in any of the big European leagues.

He can sit around until next summer doing nothing or try to do what no other has managed which is to win something with Spurs. Even if he gatecrashes the top 4 he will have done a good job considering how far ahead Chelsea, City and Liverpool are.

£20 million a year for 18 months work. Can walk away then if he gets a better offer or falls out with Spurs.

Win a domestic cup or one of the 2nd rate European trophies and his CV will be enhanced even further.

Spurs are a club that have always seemed to have a bigger and better reputation than they deserve and always manage to attract good managers and players above their level. I was amazed Mourinho went there with their lack of success and I'm surprised Conte has too. Suppose money talks plus they have the big benefit of being in London and now a great stadium.

• Like 2