BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League season 21/22

19 minutes ago, DE. said:

Chelsea needed a better manager than Lampard before Tuchel was appointed and dramatically improved everything almost instantly.

I thought Lampard was hard done by at the time but think they did him a massive favour. Lampards reputation with Chelsea fans is intact. Oles is in the gutter whereas lampard was never given the chance to get to this point. 

• Backroom
1 minute ago, RoverDom said:

I thought Lampard was hard done by at the time but think they did him a massive favour. Lampards reputation with Chelsea fans is intact. Oles is in the gutter whereas lampard was never given the chance to get to this point. 

I think Lampard knew as well as anybody that it wasn't going to be a long-term thing unless he had some serious success very quickly - which was unlikely as from what I remember they were under some kind of transfer ban at the time. Considering his inexperience, and Chelsea's situation when he arrived, Lampard did fairly well imo, but once they were able to sign players again it was a matter of time until a top manager was brought in as Lampard had a ceiling and Chelsea weren't prepared to wait years for him to gain the experience needed to raise that ceiling. Lampard knew better than anybody how ruthless Abramovic is, so I doubt he was particularly surprised when he was moved on.

Solskjaer is basically at United for the same reason Lampard was at Chelsea - nostalgia. Managing Molde and relegating Cardiff isn't exactly a CV that screams 'top level manager'. I actually think up until this point Solskjaer has overperformed based on his experience and ability, but his ceiling has also become painfully obvious. With the amount of time he's been in the job and the money spent on players (United's much maligned backline cost close to £200m to assemble) there's no way they should be getting dicked 5-0 at home to Liverpool. It wasn't even a case of being unfortunate either, they were totally ripped apart and embarrassed. I don't think it's a case of players downing tools (except Pogba, possibly) as the midweek game against Atalanta suggests they are still playing for the manager. Solskjaer is just way out of his depth compared to top managers and unless United are willing to accept being also-rans for the foreseeable future they will need to make a change to get back into contention.

Personally though I hope Ole continues on for a long time to come!

• Like 1

Solskjaer would never have got that job if he hadn't been a former United player. His appointment shows the danger of sentiment in football and why Damien Johnson and Gareth Ainsworth shouldn't be considered as future Rovers managers just because of their local connections

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

Solskjaer would never have got that job if he hadn't been a former United player. His appointment shows the danger of sentiment in football and why Damien Johnson and Gareth Ainsworth shouldn't be considered as future Rovers managers just because of their local connections

I think Johno has been tarred with the Mowbray coaching brush. He must be well out of the reckoning now.

12 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think Johno has been tarred with the Mowbray coaching brush. He must be well out of the reckoning now.

Really? 

I think Johnson is very well thought off at Rovers. I hope he stay on after Mowbray's leaves Rovers

You could have the same of Steven Reid at Forest being tarred with the Hughton coaching brush, But Cooper kept him on. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Really? 

I think Johnson is very well thought off at Rovers. I hope he stay on after Mowbray's leaves Rovers

You could have the same of Steven Reid at Forest being tarred with the Hughton coaching brush, But Cooper kept him on. 

Just my opinion matey. I was expecting to see some benefit when Johno was moved up the ladder.

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Just my opinion matey. I was expecting to see some benefit when Johno was moved up the ladder.

I think you seen that with players individually improving like Dolan, Brereton, Pickering, Buckley for just example

He works with them 1 on 1 basis and with the help of technology to show them where they gone wrong and what they should have done. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

• Backroom
55 minutes ago, El Tombro said:

I was surprised United took on Solskjaer in the first place. The last thing I remember about him before that was him doing quite poorly at Cardiff City.

I wonder if Simeone fancies a crack at this league. He's been at Atletico for a decade.

From what I remember he was initially brought in as a stop-gap, a caretaker manager who could get the fans onside for a little while due to the history he has at the club. However, Solskjaer did much better than anticipated and suddenly a lot of fans were clamouring for him to be given the role permanently. A strong board would have stuck to their guns and brought in the best possible replacement to take over from Ole, but United's board were weak and caved in to the demands of the crowd. 

Truth be told it's gone better than anyone at Man Utd could have realistically expected up until this point, but Ole's limitations are becoming painfully apparent now. He could still get them into the top four, but when 4th becomes your goal it isn't long before you end up like Arsenal. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DE. said:

From what I remember he was initially brought in as a stop-gap, a caretaker manager who could get the fans onside for a little while due to the history he has at the club. However, Solskjaer did much better than anticipated and suddenly a lot of fans were clamouring for him to be given the role permanently. A strong board would have stuck to their guns and brought in the best possible replacement to take over from Ole, but United's board were weak and caved in to the demands of the crowd. 

Truth be told it's gone better than anyone at Man Utd could have realistically expected up until this point, but Ole's limitations are becoming painfully apparent now. He could still get them into the top four, but when 4th becomes your goal it isn't long before you end up like Arsenal. 

ExactlyF7F42C10-30A9-4652-929A-2088D763C09C.thumb.jpeg.869b6fc9fc78bccb94911cb1364a2f13.jpeg

• Like 4

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

ExactlyF7F42C10-30A9-4652-929A-2088D763C09C.thumb.jpeg.869b6fc9fc78bccb94911cb1364a2f13.jpeg

Arsenal are actually an interesting one too - horrible start to the season and calls for Arteta to be sacked, but they seem to have turned it around somewhat recently. You still get the impression any half decent team will destroy them though. Technically Arteta had even less managerial experience than Solskjaer when appointed.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Didn't realise Gary had been making making topical references last Monday on Sky. Not quite sure what the weasel has to do with Man Utd's current shambles. Maybe Gary should get on the phone and see if Steve's free to come replace Ole. He does have a history of winning at OT, not sure if that was ever mentioned.  

2 hours ago, Silas said:

Didn't realise Gary had been making making topical references last Monday on Sky. Not quite sure what the weasel has to do with Man Utd's current shambles. Maybe Gary should get on the phone and see if Steve's free to come replace Ole. He does have a history of winning at OT, not sure if that was ever mentioned.  

Someone should mention it to Burnley’s new owners too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 47er said:

What about that attempted back pass from Rashford? Wtf was he thinking?

"I want a transfer'?

That, Pogba's pointless 2 footer and Ronaldo kicking out all seemed to suggest they were basically trying to get OGS sacked.

Also, some of the defending for their goals was diabolical, I mean I wouldn't even expect Rovers to defend that badly against Liverpool.

2 hours ago, Silas said:

I saw a clip of that discussion the other day and was surprised to see him mention the fraud. I think the point Neville was trying to make was that he will never call for a manager to be sacked regardless of whether it's his mate or not. He didn't when we had all our issues nor when Arsenal were a mess towards the end of Wenger's reign.

It would be interesting to know what Neville really thinks about our owners. In the previous Fan Debate thing they did on Sky, Roy Keane said "You look at some owners and think are they right for that club, should they be there, do they know what they are doing". Neville's immediate response was to say "look at Venky's at Blackburn".

United's fans are upset at what is going on there, which is fair enough, but to endure 11 years of embarrassment, as we have and still are doing, is something else altogether.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

i  reckon he was popular with the players and tony saw him as a threat to his authority,hence he created  the rather grand title of "professional development phase lead coach" for him,whatever that means

• Backroom
53 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

I think the point Neville was trying to make was that he will never call for a manager to be sacked regardless of whether it's his mate or not. 

Does that not undermine his pretty good reputation as a pundit though.

What, every manager should stay at every club forever until they decide to leave. That's madness.

Take Mick McCarthy at Cardiff. I like him, and like others,  have wished him to be at Rovers at various stages in the past.

But that doesn't change my view that he had to go after Cardiff's dismal run. Surely as a pundit you have to call a spade a spade.

You can't be all nicey nicey- "I would never call for manager to be sacked, that's someone's livelihood..." etc etc

Yeah, we get all that, but you're paid very handsomely to give your 'expert' opinion. So should that manager stay or go?! Sorry, if you can't answer direct questions like that, you shouldn't be a pundit. 

And I'm a fan of Gary, but he's lost me on this one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

That, Pogba's pointless 2 footer and Ronaldo kicking out all seemed to suggest they were basically trying to get OGS sacked.

Also, some of the defending for their goals was diabolical, I mean I wouldn't even expect Rovers to defend that badly against Liverpool.

Thanks to Mowbray we will never know 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Silas said:

Does that not undermine his pretty good reputation as a pundit though.

What, every manager should stay at every club forever until they decide to leave. That's madness.

Take Mick McCarthy at Cardiff. I like him, and like others,  have wished him to be at Rovers at various stages in the past.

But that doesn't change my view that he had to go after Cardiff's dismal run. Surely as a pundit you have to call a spade a spade.

You can't be all nicey nicey- "I would never call for manager to be sacked, that's someone's livelihood..." etc etc

Yeah, we get all that, but you're paid very handsomely to give your 'expert' opinion. So should that manager stay or go?! Sorry, if you can't answer direct questions like that, you shouldn't be a pundit. 

And I'm a fan of Gary, but he's lost me on this one. 

I agree, it does. He's backed himself into a corner on this to such an extent that he can't really voice his true opinion on a managerial situation. That's a poor do for a well known pundit like him.

He's usually blunt and direct on other football topics and I like listening to him, but he seems to have a soft spot when it comes to managers. Part of it might be to do with his experience at Valencia, but I think it's also because he played in the era of long serving managers like Fergie and Wenger. He's old school in his approach.

His stance has seen him go too far the other way on occasion, when he has advocated certain struggling managers be given more time by referring to how Fergie was given time to get things right at United.

He should know more than most how the game has changed since then. Patience is shown rarely by owners in the Premier League these days, meaning there's little chance of seeing those types of long serving managers again.

Edited by SuperBrfc
  • Like 1

• Backroom
10 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

I agree, it does. He's backed himself into a corner on this to such an extent that he can't really voice his true opinion on a managerial situation. That's a poor do for a well known pundit like him.

He's usually blunt and direct on other football topics and I like listening to him, but he seems to have a soft spot when it comes to managers. Part of it might be to do with his experience at Valencia, but I think it's also because he played in the era of long serving managers like Fergie and Wenger. He's old school in his approach.

His stance has seen him go too far the other way on occasion, when he has advocated certain struggling managers be given more time by referring to how Fergie was given time to get things right at United.

He should know more than most how the game has changed since then. Patience is shown rarely by owners in the Premier League these days, meaning there's little chance of seeing those types of long serving managers again.

I think it's simpler than that. As an independent, and potentially influential, pundit he's reluctant to advocate for anyone losing their job.

• Like 1