BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League season 21/22

They probably don't realise it but the way Ashley has run them has probably been what has attracted the Saudi consortium to them. 

The fact that he has them established in the Premier League but on a stable and manageable footing, not much debt, no big losses and with obvious potential there will make them a lot more attractive than say had he bankrolled them to massive losses every year.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RoverDom said:

Debt free as well.... I've never understood what their problem with him is

They seem to be under the impression they should be pushing for the league title, champions league and cups. Ashley didn't invest enough to make that a reality, apparently.

The rhetoric on social media now is, they are a sleeping giant which has now been woken. Other clubs, like Chelsea or City weren't as big a club as them prior to their takeovers and are therefore less deserving of billions of £'s worth of investment.

It's OK though, they have got their club back. And by that, I mean, they've sold it to Saudi Arabia.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

So another great English football institution falls into foreign hands.  Anyone surprised that Britain welcomes such shady money hasn’t been paying attention.

Newcastle’s fans seem equally unbothered by Saudi Arabia’s abuses against women, political prisoners, Yemenis, Khashoggi and others. They are just pleased that MBS might buy them some trophies.

There’s a reason why Roberto Saviano, the Italian expert on the mafia, calls Britain “the most corrupt country in the world”.

Britain's moral, economic and political degeneration continues, and at some point there will be nothing left to sell.

Britain isn't a country 

8 hours ago, roverandout said:

Linked with mbappe and kane.  Silly season has come early 

Glass houses, remember Ronaldinho 🤣

8 hours ago, davulsukur said:

They seem to be under the impression they should be pushing for the league title, champions league and cups. Ashley didn't invest enough to make that a reality, apparently.

The rhetoric on social media now is, they are a sleeping giant which has now been woken. Other clubs, like Chelsea or City weren't as big a club as them prior to their takeovers and are therefore less deserving of billions of £'s worth of investment.

It's OK though, they have got their club back. And by that, I mean, they've sold it to Saudi Arabia.

The sleeping giant who hasn't won anyone since 1950s. Its not sleeping, it's in a coma.

I don't normally like Jaason Cundy but he said something along the lines of they're a big club in Newcastle, not England 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoverDom said:

Glass houses, remember Ronaldinho 🤣

The sleeping giant who hasn't won anyone since 1950s. Its not sleeping, it's in a coma.

I don't normally like Jaason Cundy but he said something along the lines of they're a big club in Newcastle, not England 

Not been champions of England in just shy of a century. I think Cundy has it about right.

The are not a glamour club and they aren’t a London club. We all know money talks but if they want the big name foreign signings they will need to pay significant premiums on wages etc. 

Now we are foreign owned I think that leaves only a few clubs truly British owned - Norwich, Brighton and Brentford spring to mind, maybe Palace? If so then the infamous overseas games could soon become a reality - maybe the phrase ‘can they do it on a sweltering Sunday in Riyadh’ will replace ‘a rainy Tuesday in Burnley.’

*forgot West Ham.

Edited by longsiders1882
Add West Ham
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

Not been champions of England in just shy of a century. I think Cundy has it about right.

The are not a glamour club and they aren’t a London club. We all know money talks but if they want the big name foreign signings they will need to pay significant premiums on wages etc. 

Now we are foreign owned I think that leaves only a few clubs truly British owned - Norwich, Brighton and Brentford spring to mind, maybe Palace? If so then the infamous overseas games could soon become a reality - maybe the phrase ‘can they do it on a sweltering Sunday in Riyadh’ will replace ‘a rainy Tuesday in Burnley.’

*forgot West Ham.

And the premium they pay will of course cause yet more inflation to further cripple clubs outside the top flight (or even outside the top 10). Football needs less billionaire owners not more. It was fun when Chelsea did it, it was a bit a novelty but now it's just boring and ruining the game. It's a bubble that is going to burst at some point. Look at barca, I think it's just a sign of things to come.

• Like 5

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

*forgot West Ham.

I think Palace are part American owned tbh.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

I still don’t understand what point Roverandout was making. Do you?

He was, I think, pointing out that the original statement that, Britain is a country, is factually wrong. Britain is made up of 3 countries, England Wales and Scotland. It is the same as saying Europe is a country. I think everyone would have known what was meant by the original statement.

I honestly feel totally indifferent about the entire job with Newcastle. Much like the Europeam Super League proposals, this is just the next natural stop along the road we've been on for three decades or so. Next it'll be Liverpool v. Man United being played in Florida because money, or flogging actual team names for sponsorship (Amazon Aston Villa v. GSK Fulham anyone?). I fell out of love with elite level football a long time ago for precisely these reasons.

I similarly wish I was surprised that people are more concerned with the transfer gossip they can now be involved in, than the truly abhorrent skeletons in the open, let alone the closet, their new owners now have. In this post-Venky world we all like to imagine, I would genuinely rather us be skint and all into obscurity in the North West Counties with not a thing to call our own than have what Newcastle have just landed. 

You get nothing if you gain the world at the cost of your soul.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, rigger said:

He was, I think, pointing out that the original statement that, Britain is a country, is factually wrong. Britain is made up of 3 countries, England Wales and Scotland. It is the same as saying Europe is a country. I think everyone would have known what was meant by the original statement.

Sorry rigger for being pedantic, Jim was making a direct quote from an Italian journalist. He was not making the statement. Therefore to point out and imply Jim was incorrect was being frivolous.

5 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

Sorry rigger for being pedantic, Jim was making a direct quote from an Italian journalist. He was not making the statement. Therefore to point out and imply Jim was incorrect was being frivolous.

Life's too short.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnGo said:

I kinda of think thats the point though, Roverandout did not say Jim had said Britain was a country. He just said Britain is not a country.

Well played Leicester. Looking at United's next few fixtures, things could be about to get very interesting. I saw a comment elsewhere saying how it took Fergie 4 years to win something, therefore Ole needs more time. I don't know if it was posted tongue in cheek, but it's true 😁.

Brentford were excellent today. They threw everything at Chelsea and were unlucky to come away with nothing in the end. That game reminded me of the time Chelsea stole 3 points at Ewood back in Feb '05 in a similar fashion. Brentford are going to cause problems for a lot of teams this season.