BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League season 21/22

Neither Rooney nor Lampard have served any meaningful apprenticeship as a manager thus far. Lampard, at Chelsea a classic example of being promoted well before his time and it ending in tears. But such is the state of football in the current era. Clubs want success and they want it now.

For what it’s worth, given three or four years at Championship level, I think Lampard could well develop into a decent top flight manager. Perhaps Rooney as well but such is the pressure in the PL, clubs are always willing to take unnecessary risks, thus perpetuating what I call the ‘Managerial Merry Go Round of Mediocrity.’

• Like 3

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think Rooney or Lampard would be right appointment. They are appointed managers from Europe and gone nowhere

Not for me. He doesn't have the experience, and I question if he has the smarts for a top level job.

Everton had one of the best around in Ancelotti and he did absolutely nothing there. Why would newcomer Rooney do any better? Mowbray is a better candidate. He has promotions, top flight experience, and a sustained managerial career behind him. 

Rooney is a well known name who'd provide a bit of spark for the papers. He's hardly a club legend either. He left for Man U as soon as he could then came back for a short spell when his legs had gone.

They are also still suffering post Moyes. Just like Arsenal and Man U have struggled moving on from long term bosses. Chopping and changing managers who all have different philosophies has resulted in an off balance squad with some very iffy signings. 

Everton the club needs sorting out. They binned technical director Marcel Brands a few months ago too. I assume that they'll replace him at some point.

Gerrard is still very much on probation too. He won at Rangers but can he translate that to Villa over a sustained period?

What Championship managers have done well in the Prem? Certainly Dyche. Nuno at Wolves? Anyone else?*

*I'll keep Dalglish out of this argument as we all know what he did.

14 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Not for me. He doesn't have the experience, and I question if he has the smarts for a top level job.

Everton had one of the best around in Ancelotti and he did absolutely nothing there. Why would newcomer Rooney do any better? Mowbray is a better candidate. He has promotions, top flight experience, and a sustained managerial career behind him. 

Rooney is a well known name who'd provide a bit of spark for the papers. He's hardly a club legend either. He left for Man U as soon as he could then came back for a short spell when his legs had gone.

Ancelotti was building a club and doing it in the right way. These things take time and had he been there for few years I more than expect he would have gone into the top 6. 

I think someone like Rooney or Lampard are the 2 clear choices to replace Benitez there. I think either would do well there

They are also still suffering post Moyes.

have to disagree on that and I think Martinez did a very good job there

Everton the club needs sorting out. They binned technical director Marcel Brands a few months ago too. I assume that they'll replace him at some point.

Yes Everton do need to appoint a better Sporting director cos Brands spent money on some rubbish players. I suggested someone like former Chelsea sporting director Michael Emenalo or Brighton Dan Ashworth

Gerrard is still very much on probation too. He won at Rangers but can he translate that to Villa over a sustained period

I think/expect him to be success there and Gerrard will improve the club and move them up the league.

I think he retired just about when the premier league was starting so maybe the wrong thread but I was sad to hear of the passing of the ex Liverpool Chief Executive Peter Robinson today, at the age of 86. They won 29 trophies during his time as administrator of the club and he was instrumental in bringing Hansen, Dalglish and Souness (among others) to the club. He was very much in the John Williams mould. RIP.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I've watched Chelsea twice in the last week and can see why Lukaku is moaning and groaning. 

Tuchel doesn't set the team up to play to his strengths. He was woeful against City and anonymous against Brighton. 

Lukaku is sucker at the best of times. Over priced when Chelsea signed him this time. 

Tuchel doesn't set the team for him and I don't see him being there next season

I like Lampard, can't stand Rooney but would welcome either of them going to Goodison and absolutely tanking. Never a bad thing to see one or all of the local giants struggling.

Oh for the the halcyon days of 93-5 when we'd look at the fixture list and think "Only Everton/Liverpool today. That should be an easy 3 points!".

I've been following Arsenal quite closely lately and am puzzled by Thomas Partey. I never saw him play for Atletico Madrid but I wonder if he is as good as his transfer fee and reputation commanded. His Ghana side were terrible and his performances for Arsenal have, often, been poor or average. That said, I view Arteta as a struggling manager who is not getting consistency out of most of his players, so that makes it somewhat more difficult for him.

Edited by riverholmes

22 hours ago, riverholmes said:

I've been following Arsenal quite closely lately and am puzzled by Thomas Partey. I never saw him play for Atletico Madrid but I wonder if he is as good as his transfer fee and reputation commanded. His Ghana side were terrible and his performances for Arsenal have, often, been poor or average. That said, I view Arteta as a struggling manager who is not getting consistency out of most of his players, so that makes it somewhat more difficult for him.

Partey has been disappointing at Arsenal so far. I watched him play a few times for Atletico Madrid and he was excellent for them. He was a physical presence and would break up play effectively. He was one of their key players from what I remember. I remember one storming performance from him in particular, at Anfield in a Champions League tie, where he stood out.

It was a surprise when Arsenal managed to land him as they were a mess at the time (still are, arguably) and he seemed too good for them. I thought they had finally signed a proper midfielder, but he hasn't performed anything like how I expected him to. He's looked reckless in an Arsenal shirt and seems to take pot shots at goal from 30 yards out, almost always blazing them over.

Maybe it was Simeone's system and the quality he had around him that helped to get the best out of him. Arteta isn't helping matters either with his tactics and him faffing about with who to play alongside Partey in the midfield two.

Could it be that Partey, like Ronaldo at United, looks at the lack of quality around him and possibly thinks "what the heck have I signed up to here". It feels that way when you look at both of their performances.

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Would be interesting but feel Burnley will squeeze out of it with their infinite amount of games in hand 

Not a chance and I don’t say that due to our rivalry. They will go down for certain this year. Owners seem worse than Venky’s and they are horrendous this season. 

• Moderation Lead
19 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i would`nt like to be an everton player who does`nt give 100% under duncan ferguson🤬

I’ll never get tired of the story when there was an attempted burglary at Duncan Ferguson’s gaff, he caught the intruders, roughed them up a bit, tied them up, then rang the police. What a fella.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Partey has been disappointing at Arsenal so far. I watched him play a few times for Atletico Madrid and he was excellent for them. He was a physical presence and would break up play effectively. He was one of their key players from what I remember. I remember one storming performance from him in particular, at Anfield in a Champions League tie, where he stood out.

It was a surprise when Arsenal managed to land him as they were a mess at the time (still are, arguably) and he seemed too good for them. I thought they had finally signed a proper midfielder, but he hasn't performed anything like how I expected him to. He's looked reckless in an Arsenal shirt and seems to take pot shots at goal from 30 yards out, almost always blazing them over.

Maybe it was Simeone's system and the quality he had around him that helped to get the best out of him. Arteta isn't helping matters either with his tactics and him faffing about with who to play alongside Partey in the midfield two.

Could it be that Partey, like Ronaldo at United, looks at the lack of quality around him and possibly thinks "what the heck have I signed up to here". It feels that way when you look at both of their performances.

A very good summary. I'm not a La Liga watcher but have seen a lot of him in the Champs league and you articulate what I saw.

Partey in Simeone's Atletico team was perfect. He was strong, broke up play, and acted as an excellent defensive shield.  

Arsenal was his move to the big time. I'll guess that he wasn't on big money in Spain. A massive signing on fee, a long contract, and a probable large wage increase tells the cynic in me that post move desire isn't what it was. His performances have been very uneven.

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I’ll never get tired of the story when there was an attempted burglary at Duncan Ferguson’s gaff, he caught the intruders, roughed them up a bit, tied them up, then rang the police. What a fella.

Did he not break an arm of one of them?

Another one ran out of the house. Ferguson ran after him and dragged him back inside.

• Like 2

That Duncan Ferguson burglary story has grown arms and legs over the years.  Basically Duncan found one of them on his premises (he had an outbuilding which he used as a gym and games room). He confronted him, head butted him and grabbed him. Then he landed on top of him which caused the bulk of his injuries (Duncan was also injured in the scuffle). The second burglar was arrested after the event having fled. 
That was from the horse’s mouth (though he admitted that the version that did the rounds enhanced his reputation 😂)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

That Duncan Ferguson burglary story has grown arms and legs over the years.  Basically Duncan found one of them on his premises (he had an outbuilding which he used as a gym and games room). He confronted him, head butted him and grabbed him. Then he landed on top of him which caused the bulk of his injuries (Duncan was also injured in the scuffle). The second burglar was arrested after the event having fled. 
That was from the horse’s mouth (though he admitted that the version that did the rounds enhanced his reputation 😂)

I'm sure that I contributed to it too 😃

• Like 1

• Backroom

If Adam Armstrong isn't getting on the pitch in matches like this, he can't have much of a future at Southampton. 

With his pace he's surely the perfect outlet against a City highline on the counterattack. 

Not really storming it is he.

Maybe he's a perennial Championship player.

20 hours ago, Silas said:

If Adam Armstrong isn't getting on the pitch in matches like this, he can't have much of a future at Southampton. 

With his pace he's surely the perfect outlet against a City highline on the counterattack. 

Not really storming it is he.

Maybe he's a perennial Championship player.

He's pacey and gets himself into goalscoring positions if the opposition allow him. Give him enough chances and he'll score at least one. In the PL (with a mid table outfit like Southampton) he won't be getting enough bites. You have to be a brutal finisher to be prolific in the PL.

Edited by booth

1 hour ago, booth said:

He's pacey and gets himself into goalscoring positions if the opposition allow him. Give him enough chances and he'll score at least one. In the PL (with a mid table outfit like Southampton) he won't be getting enough bites. You have to be a brutal finisher to be prolific in the PL.

And he isn't a brutal finisher - so many more shots than anyone else in the division last season. His conversion rate really wasnt all that at all.

• Backroom

He’s 17th in the league for number of shots having taken 43.

12 of those on target.

2 goals.

He was great for us in the last season or two but it was a fair comment that he did shoot on site, with some success, but at times the wrong choice