BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sheff Utd (h) - 6/11/21 - 146th Birthday

9 minutes ago, rigger said:

So how many extra coppers are required to police the Darwen end upper, 10 or so @ about £50/hour. 

It's a pretty penny...to do a Premier league game it's about £30-40k.  It was on some news thing years ago when a club was having a dispute about costs....I was shocked.

Edited by Sparks Rover

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

It's a pretty penny...to do a Premier league game it's about £30-40k.  It was on some news thing years ago when a club was having a dispute about costs....I was shocked.

But the Rovers will have already paid for the police at  Ewood, the only extras needed would be the personnel to police the upper tier of the Darwen end

I can only guess that the 'Safety Advisory Group' have said to Rovers that if we sell the whole Darwen End then they will need a significantly greater police and stewarding operation at a significantly greater cost.

Notice how there is no issue opening the BBE upper tier for a few hundred people on free tickets which has happened several times this season.

Looking forward to the Rovers tweets warning of a very busy day at Ewood with a massive 15000 expected.

Just how did the club ever cope with regular 25000+ crowds?

• Like 1

Thanks for all the positive feedback, pleasure to write the preview!

An addition

'' 19th April 1986 - Blackburn Rovers 6-1 Sheffield United - Garner, Patterson 3, Thompson and Barker. In front of just 4,736 fans. Was anyone from this forum there that day? ''

This fixture jumped out for both the scoreline and the attendance!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I can only guess that the 'Safety Advisory Group' have said to Rovers that if we sell the whole Darwen End then they will need a significantly greater police and stewarding operation at a significantly greater cost.

Notice how there is no issue opening the BBE upper tier for a few hundred people on free tickets which has happened several times this season.

Looking forward to the Rovers tweets warning of a very busy day at Ewood with a massive 15000 expected.

They had people who rolled up their sleeves, sorted problems and got on with it as opposed to hiding in the shadows these days.

Taking my 7 year old daughter to this on Saturday, for her first game at Ewood 🙂

I'm hoping the increased crowd will be treated to a decent show from the team, and that the buzz sticks with my daughter so she becomes a lifelong Rover through audio and kinaesthetic osmosis! (for those who are wondering what this is, it's just the feeling you get from being in a crowd - I can remember my first Rovers game back in 1973 vs Aston Villa for the 'buzz')

COYB!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

I assume it’s the numbers of away fans attending rather than just having a larger attendance. Having a few kids in the upper tier is different to having another 3k away fans. 

The home attendance will be very interesting. We’ve all been saying that ticket prices need to be lower so it’ll be interesting to see how many more (if any) attend, especially as we’re in relatively good form (as of today..), we’re scoring goals and our key players are doing well. If we don’t pull in many more fans at £15 a ticket then pricing clearly isn’t the main issue.

6 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Taking my 7 year old daughter to this on Saturday, for her first game at Ewood 🙂

I'm hoping the increased crowd will be treated to a decent show from the team, and that the buzz sticks with my daughter so she becomes a lifelong Rover through audio and kinaesthetic osmosis! (for those who are wondering what this is, it's just the feeling you get from being in a crowd - I can remember my first Rovers game back in 1973 vs Aston Villa for the 'buzz')

COYB!! 

Big crowd for a third division game if I remember rightly.

2 minutes ago, rigger said:

Big crowd for a third division game if I remember rightly.

All I remember is the amazing feeling of hearing the roar of the crowd, the seething movement of bodies in the Blackburn End as play ebbed and flowed, and then the wonderful stream of humanity going up Livesey Branch Road after the final whistle.. I was hooked! I'm hoping that history will repeat itself on Saturday, whatever the result on the pitch!

So as we are expecting several thousand Yorkies on Saturday I wonder if Rovers will have a temporary erection (ooh er missus) or something to sell beer and the like to them. Surely there's a massive opportunity here. I won't hold my breath though.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rog of the rovers said:

An addition

'' 19th April 1986 - Blackburn Rovers 6-1 Sheffield United - Garner, Patterson 3, Thompson and Barker. In front of just 4,736 fans. Was anyone from this forum there that day? ''

I also think this was the last league game that we won "6-something".

A few 7's and plenty of 5's since then but never a 6 goal win.

In the cup I can remember 6-0/1 wins against Watford, Preston and Rochdale since then.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 1

Well a quick glance on the ticketing website doesn't suggest there has been a surge in sales in the home ends.

Still bucket loads of availability in all areas.

I'll be surprised if we sell more than 10,000 home tickets.

I think categorising non-attenders into either those who avoid it because of the cost and those who don't want to watch mid-table Championship football is taking the easy route out of this. I think the problems run much deeper than merely the cost of tickets or the 'product' not being the best. Of course both these things are relevant to varying degrees and to many people may be central issues - but I think there are a lot of others who have just given up/turned their back on going to Ewood and there are a whole collection of reasons why which stretch back over many years and go hand in hand with the complete lack of effort the club has made during that time to retain or obtain new supporters.

Cutting costs may persuade some to return, as would a promotion push or PL football, but again there needs to be a deeper examination as to what has gone wrong at this club. I don't expect that to happen because there appears to be no interest or serious analysis at ownership or board level as to the underlying cause of the problem.

That examination and analysis isn't going to happen any time soon. The owners don't care whether Ewood is full or empty - if they did they would have acted before now. People like Waggott aren't tasked or judged on sales but on numbers on the books so he will just make excuses or compensate for less sales with further price increases.

That's why the only route out of this is a regime change to someone who will take this seriously and take action to address it before it is too late and an entire generation of support is lost forever.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, rigger said:

But the Rovers will have already paid for the police at  Ewood, the only extras needed would be the personnel to police the upper tier of the Darwen end

For routine games there isn't a full police presence at Ewood these days - only if the game is deemed to need it. Maybe selling the Upper Tier would have been enough for the SAG to insist on one.

5 minutes ago, only2garners said:

For routine games there isn't a full police presence at Ewood these days - only if the game is deemed to need it. Maybe selling the Upper Tier would have been enough for the SAG to insist on one.

That may be so, but as I have asked before. Why didn't the Rovers explain this, rather than the statement : It's not ecconomically viable.

50 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

In the cup I can remember 6-0/1 wins against Watford, Preston and Rochdale since then.

Love that stat MarkBRFC

Don't remember any sixes in the league either!

• Herbie6590 changed the title to v Sheffield United - Saturday 6th November 2021 - 146th Birthday
4 hours ago, rog of the rovers said:

An addition

Yes. I lost my scarf to a couple of big Yorkshire tykes whilst walking back up Livesey Branch Rd near the Moorgate pub! They jumped out of a car that had screeched to a halt, shouted "give us your scarf!" (really!) and I was so surprised to be accosted I just took it off and handed it over - they laughed, jumped back in their car and sped off. I can only think that the small crowd meant there weren't that many people around to intervene, and that I'd somehow got ahead of most due to my long legs. Eeeh, them were the days..!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

To answer Rog's question, maybe!  I went to a 6-1 about this time and after checking the Jackman, there was a 6-1 at the start of the following season.  vs Sunderland.  I'd remembered the game I was at against a team in red and white stripes and getting in about 3:05 and we were already 1-0 up so that all points to v Sunderland, but was sure Patty had scored a hat trick so that points to v Sheff  Utd.  Either way, there was another 6-1 just a few months after Sheff Utd 

• Like 2