BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

I think Gallagher has been money poorly spent and I honestly don’t see him as a long term investment but you’d be surprised who might put up a fee for him if they think he’s got potential or are desperate to get a few goals. I’d be happy if we got close to making our money back on him.

A possible theory is that the club might decide to sell BBD use some of the money to find a replacement and also use the money to try and tie the 3 down. It’s the sort of the thing I could see the club gambling on and maybe a way of keeping majority of the team together and gamble on a replacement up top that could score enough to keep us in the running for the top six.

I think if the club fears that COVID could cause restrictions on fans attendance and/or they don’t think that this good run is going to attract enough supporters back to increase the clubs revenue significantly enough, they might decide that selling BBD now while is in the form of his life for €20 mil is a way of keeping us FFP compliment and bringing in some much needed revenue.

Edited by JonnyP

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

It's irrelevant that we signed Gally from a PL team on high wages.

At the end of the day, he is less valuable to us right now than any of the other three, and we are presumably throwing more wages at him, than them, to keep him on. If we can do it for him, we could do it for them instead.

Absolutely obvious isn'i it, but some are just programmed to support whatever the Club is doing. if the Club changes its stance they'll support that too!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JonnyP said:

I’d be happy if we got close to making our money back on him.

But that's exactly what was being said by many about Ben 12 months back. I'm not saying anything spectacular like that will happen for Gally, but if he is played in the right role then I think he can be very useful and be a 10-15 goals a season player.

He's on 5 already this season, that's playing less than half the season and mostly outside of his strongest position.

He's worth giving an extended contract to, there's no doubt in my mind.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

But that's exactly what was being said by many about Ben 12 months back. I'm not saying anything spectacular like that will happen for Gally, but if he is played in the right role then I think he can be very useful and be a 10-15 goals a season player.

He's on 5 already this season, that's playing less than half the season and mostly outside of his strongest position.

He's worth giving an extended contract to, there's no doubt in my mind.

BBD was 21 12months ago Gallagher is 26 n we are still waiting, I watched him closely against Coventry n he scored in that game and had an assit arguably on paper his better games but he was easily fault for one the goals and was a big part of the momentum swing in that game as he constantly gave the ball away. He was woeful in that second half and ruined all the good he did in the first.

This may sound harsh but I fell that part of our current form is that he hasn’t been in the team due to injury and has only been subbed on when we have been in the lead in the last couple of games. He’s far too inconsistent imo.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

So your argument is we should rely on Gallagher having a fluke callup to another nation and go on a totally unforeseen one in a thousand adventure and upturn in form? Hope lightning strikes again? And let three players currently of more importance leave rather than making them a better offer with the money from Gally's extension (and as I said, still having the money to make Gally a good offer in the summer as we are either getting promoted or selling BBD)?

Do you actually think that’s the argument I’m making? I’m saying a lot of people had written off BBD as well and wanted him moved on because some of his performances prior to this season were abysmal. Now questions are being asked why his contract wasn’t extended earlier.

Why does it need to be an either or situation? No one has said that if we extend Gally’s contract that we can’t extend everyone else’s.

• Like 1

The biggest call Mowbray has to make so far this season is being bold enough to stick with this team and not looking to chuck Gallagher back in the starting line up.

I'm not a hater of his but the side for the first time has real balance to it that it doesn't when he plays from the off. Even when he's playing well but to me the way he's best used now is a late sub. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Miker said:

Do you actually think that’s the argument I’m making? I’m saying a lot of people had written off BBD as well and wanted him moved on because some of his performances prior to this season were abysmal. Now questions are being asked why his contract wasn’t extended earlier.

Why does it need to be an either or situation? No one has said that if we extend Gally’s contract that we can’t extend everyone else’s.

If that was your point, you shouldn't have quoted my post, as I wasn't saying any such thing. By quoting my post along with the other (which was talking about that), yes, I thought that was the implied argument you were making.

As I said, at the time of us failing to extend BBD's contract, we didn't also have three valuable assets expiring imminently.

It's an either/or scenario because we have a finite budget and the offers made to the three others don't appear to be enough to get them to sign. Ergo, put Gally's deal on the backburner and offer the difference between his existing deal cost and his new deal cost (even if same pay, it's extra years of cost) to bring the other deals up to what is being asked. As I said twice now, we are almost certain to have the money in the summer to extend Gally anyway. That's how you get both, not by refusing to add anything to the other deals and signing Gally up way ahead of time when there are more pressing contracts to sign. That's a calculated gamble, unlike what we appear to be doing.

Tbh I'm confused that people keep arguing against this without actually refuting any of the points or logic I'm using. The only counterpoint I can see is maybe the players are close to signing, or maybe they won't sign even if we raise it by the described amount. Without that knowledge though, and being unwilling to credit the club with much nous behind the scenes after the last decade....

2 hours ago, JonnyP said:

I think Gallagher has been money poorly spent and I honestly don’t see him as a long term investment but you’d be surprised who might put up a fee for him if they think he’s got potential or are desperate to get a few goals. I’d be happy if we got close to making our money back on him.

A possible theory is that the club might decide to sell BBD use some of the money to find a replacement and also use the money to try and tie the 3 down. It’s the sort of the thing I could see the club gambling on and maybe a way of keeping majority of the team together and gamble on a replacement up top that could score enough to keep us in the running for the top six.

I think if the club fears that COVID could cause restrictions on fans attendance and/or they don’t think that this good run is going to attract enough supporters back to increase the clubs revenue significantly enough, they might decide that selling BBD now while is in the form of his life for €20 mil is a way of keeping us FFP compliment and bringing in some much needed revenue.

We've heard that theory before though. I'm sure people were saying it when Armstrong was sold and Mowbray had mentioned at one stage not spending on new players to save money for contract renewals.

The only gambles the club should be considering at this moment in time is how far out to push the boat to give the manager what is needed to finish the job this season.

If the owners and management of the club aren't going to push the boat out in January then that is their decision but they won't ever have a better position to build from going into the second half of the season. 

They have told us that selling Armstrong (£15 million) and Brockhall (£16.6 million) along with slashing the wage bill (rough guess £5 million per year) were steps required to ensure FFP compliance. I hope nobody believes that selling Brereton is another FFP enforced step because that would take income and savings to the best part of £50 million in the space of 6 months with nothing spent on new players. 

Every club has the same concerns and risks with Covid. Not every club has billionaires funding them and not every club has the benefit of having recently sold a player for £15 million to plug the gap.

No I'm afraid a sale in January would just prove people like me right that the owners don't really want promotion and won't do what is required to get there. 

• Like 3

If you take away that freak result against Fulham we're more or less on par with them. I know it sounds ridiculous, but if you discount that result and say we lost 2-0 instead of 7-0

Fulham would have:  Goals for 46 (51), Goals against 19

Rovers would be 3 points behind, Goals for 41, Goals against  22

It's hypothetical but not competely pointless, I think it shows that taking away an absolute freak result we're right up their behind and based upon our current trajectory they should be concerned.

It's interesting how after that, results the fortunes of both clubs have differed. Fulham have looked abject and been on a dreadful run of form whilst Rovers have ripped up the Championship.  The gap we have clawed back on the top two is outrageous. If you'd told me we'd be in this situation on Boxing day I'd have told you Mowbray should be sacked and our season was ready to enter into a death spiral.

Well Mr Mowbray, and the players, I tip my hat. Credit were credit is due.  Absolutely fantastic bunch of hungry, young dynamic players.

There's a long way to go but I think the top two isn't an unrealstic thing to shoot at.

image.thumb.png.ba2b83e755adfcd9722991462ef777c2.png

Edited by Bohinen1983
  • Like 3

Josh Maja got a run out & scored i see … Chairman insisted he was fast tracked from his back injury  so he could be moved on in the next window …. Also hearing Rovers are interested in a teammate who has caught there eye whilst scouting Maja ….attacking Midfielder ……

Maja is too much of a risk for me … could breakdown anytime .. this was his first game since summer …. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, unleaded said:

Josh Maja got a run out & scored i see … Chairman insisted he was fast tracked from his back injury  so he could be moved on in the next window …. Also hearing Rovers are interested in a teammate who has caught there eye whilst scouting Maja ….attacking Midfielder ……

Maja is too much of a risk for me … could breakdown anytime .. this was his first game since summer …. 

Thanks unleaded. I’d take Maja on a loan with perm option in the summer. Anymore I got on the attacking midfielder?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, unleaded said:

100% on Maja, even a loan is to risky and money potentially down the toilet.  Disrupting our front players does not seem wise they are all doing well, all we need are a couple of people to cover positions, preferably defensive ones first and another CM.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, unleaded said:

Apparently was a part of a 10-0 win! Fair to say that he'll have tougher tests in the English second tier.

I'm with you on the risk. I'd take him on loan with a (cheap) option but no obligation to buy. It could be a case of getting a good player on the cheap a la Santa-Cruz with his injury record, but I'd want him to have several months with our medical team looking at him before we pay out any significant financial outlay on him. 

Edited by Admiral Nelsen

Yeah I wouldn't be going after Maja. I quite like that we have BBD, Gallagher, Dolan and Khadra competing for two places. Add Dack to that hopefully in the New Year.

We desperately need a right back, can't be taking Buckley out of that midfield when Nyambe breaks down again, and JRC will never be fit.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, unleaded said:

Think they are looking for a Ian Poveda type replacement who can play on the right … Buckley Back Up … 

Good to see that they're not just relying on Dack's comeback to fill the attacking-midfield spot. Hopefully a sign that we'll be treating him with kid-gloves until next season. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nixon said that we are looking at 2 loan signings. A forward and extra midfield. 

So I wonder if the forward will be number 9 type or someone who can the centre role and wide forward role. 

Chaddy do me a favour and don’t mention wide forward just in case Mr Mowbray sees 

The 3-5-2 is working wonders with Brereton and Khadra starting centrally and being allowed to drift. Them starting out wide and drifting inwards led to some terrible football if you ask me. 

If he moves away from this formation and this squad (barring injuries) I’ll lose my shit 

I think we'll be seeing Maja come in on loan. Questions over his fitness mean we should hold back from signing him permanently for now.

Another option at right back is a must. If we are looking at a Poveda replacement I would try and get Elanga or Diallo on loan from United. We apparently failed to land the former in the summer. It could be different now if they want him to get game time elsewhere.