BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

to be fair, here in South Africa, a Pompster or in his name Pomster in Afrikaans, is somebody who has sex

Haha.😄
My two young daughters have a Pomeranian and a hamster. 😉

Edited by pomster
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spartakfenni said:

How tall was Les Green? Shay Given was not that tall, if they have a good spring they can command their box. The lad is class.

Ask any potential 'goalkeeper bullying' opposition player if they like a set of studs 'accidentally' down the back of their achilles, they tend to think twice next time! 

Keepers need to have a 'nasty streak' to command their area with presence and a touch of arrogance with it. It's not just down to size (although admittedly it can help)

7 hours ago, Ben Frost said:

Yes there were. Amazingly they didn't even have to bring them from Brockhall.

The point being? I was saying that Frost covers were needed because the undersoil heating wasn't working. Not too bothered where the covers came from.

I've just spent the past 5 minutes reading the posts on this page and I haven't get a scooby doo what you lot are on about. 

Maybe I'm getting old, thats the trouble.......

I'll get my coat.....

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think in my opinion the 3 main priorities are right wing back, centre midfielder and attacker. 

We don't play with proper strikers unless we change formations or how we play our strikers. 

Maybe we need a plan B for the strikers when the “ false centre forward “:plan isn’t working.

I do think it is key that any new forward does fit into the current method of how we play, for example I wouldnt sign a big brute of a target man just to be a plan B as he would never be able to fit into our plan A.

That being said, I think the definition of what a striker is nowadays is very flexible and subjective, do we really not play with strikers? Is Brereton not a striker? Yes he is quick and he moves into the channels but ultimately he is a goalscorer and whilst we can not expect another 20 goal striker to be easily signed, we could do with an actual forward who can play similar to how Brereton does on the other side and crucially also offers us another serious goal threat. I dont know the European market enough to be able to think of any obtainable targets, so can only name types of forward. An Adam Armstrong from last season, a Gabriel Jesus, a Mason Greenwood, (left footed could be great) a Son Heung Min, at our level a Karlan Grant. Someone who is an actual goal threat and more of a striker than a hybrid winger/number 10 type but equally one who would fit how we play easily.

Burke for example may be quick and he also is a wide man who has played (terribly) as a striker in the past, therefore if you are pigeon holeing a player based on style, then maybe he fits positionally as someone who could play as the right sided forward in our current formation, but ultimately he is crap so that should be the end of it.

2 hours ago, Spartakfenni said:

How tall was Les Green? Shay Given was not that tall, if they have a good spring they can command their box. The lad is class.

From what I have seen of Eastham for the U23s, he is average at best. A good shot stopper with good distribution. But again, as it seems with most of our keepers, poor decision making and does not control the box. I have never been a believer in, if other people have done it, then it is the best thing to do. But even by your examples, Eastham is two inches shorter than Given.

3 hours ago, Spartakfenni said:

my son used to train with an ex pro Ted Burgin with over 400 games and he was only 5`7 he even made the world cup squad

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mercer said:

I think one of the the best signings Rovers could make this window is a goalkeeping coach to replace Benson.

IMO, we need a goalkeeping coach who has played the game professionally at a good level and who has a proven track record for developing and improving goalkeepers and who our goalkeepers would respect - with such a coach, I think there is a very good chance Raya (look how his game has developed since leaving Rovers) would still be a Rovers' player.

Kaminski is a very good goalkeeper who, I believe, with the right coach and mentor would get even better. 

I think Pears is a lost cause irrespective of who our goalkeeping coach is or who might be. 

I think Stergiakis and Eastham have far more natural ability and potential than Pears and they deserve the chance to realise such potential with a goalkeeping coach who ticks the right boxes. 

Agree wholeheartedly on the keeper coach Merc.  Is it just me ir has Kaminskis kicking gotten more and more like Raya's over time.  Never hitting the target and out of touch he used to be better didnhe not?  Is it just me?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, booth said:

Contrary to my earlier thoughts on Hedges, that being he doesn't score enough goals. He could be a good signing for Rovers as a wide player, he looks a nuisance for defenders.

Frustrating if it's on a pre-contract for next season considering we need players now.

Frustrating?  Makes me believe someone is planning for another year in the Championship.

21 hours ago, rovers11 said:

So Zeefuik looks like a done deal and a good start to the window. Loan with a fee already agreed if he does well according to some reports. He's not coming here to sit on the bench so I fully expect to see Nyambe leave for £2-3m. Fair play to him if he can get a prem move and double his wages. 

I think Hedges will come here in Jan too. Still think Burke will come here towards the end of the window. A CM loan to replace Clarkson, and a loan attacking winger to replace Poveda will prob be on the cards. 

I think we'll have a busy window. 

Seems like way too much work for Wags and Tony to get through. They couldn't take care of current contracts and they've had years to get it done.

Three or four in in a month be a bit much for our two.

14 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

rothwell would find more space in the premier league,i think he`d find it easier,providing the prospective manager plays him in his correct position,if he goes  to rangers iv`e no doubt he`d score a hatful and probably end up a one cap wonder for england,he`d annihalate defences in scotland

I think the opposite - Rothwell would have a v tough time of it in the PL. Those mazy runs where he glides past people would disappear overnight against better athletes / footballers.

• Like 1

Rich Sharpe claiming we haven't bid for Hedges this month contrary to Sky, Josh Maja is rated at £3mil by Bordeaux which is putting us off that pursuit, and the Sommerville links are also made up.

It does beg the question where he gets his info from. My guess is straight from Waggott's mouth. Every link we've had, from every news outlet (bar the one already basically confirmed re: this new right back) he's shot down and said is wide of the mark. But we clearly are talking to clubs for players this month... as every club is, yet he suggests no names we actually are interested in? 

Makes no sense. 

3 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Rich Sharpe claiming we haven't bid for Hedges this month contrary to Sky, Josh Maja is rated at £3mil by Bordeaux which is putting us off that pursuit, and the Sommerville links are also made up.

It does beg the question where he gets his info from. My guess is straight from Waggott's mouth. Every link we've had, from every news outlet (bar the one already basically confirmed re: this new right back) he's shot down and said is wide of the mark. But we clearly are talking to clubs for players this month... as every club is, yet he suggests no names we actually are interested in? 

Makes no sense. 

Maybe we aren’t advertising who we’re pursuing. Don’t think the journos are connected at all when it comes to transfer stories. Sharpe was denying Maja all through deadline day last summer and it turned out he’d been at Brockhall having a medical. The Zeefuik story seems to have been broken from the German media rather than from over here as well.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Maybe we aren’t advertising who we’re pursuing. Don’t think the journos are connected at all when it comes to transfer stories. Sharpe was denying Maja all through deadline day last summer and it turned out he’d been at Brockhall having a medical. The Zeefuik story seems to have been broken from the German media rather than from over here as well.

I was gonna say or he’s clueless.