BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

4 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Pickering for England? Christ we've come a long way from countless pages on threads of me trying to convince everyone he's better than League One level! He's better than Bell, that's what matters.

I think merely being "better than Bell" is a bit insulting to Pickering to be honest! 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Butty said:

Talented lad. Not sure he suits our current style of play though, he’s not one to press from the front and put the work in. Wouldn’t say no to him though, we desperately need another striker. Think Reading would want a decent-ish fee so like you say, probably out of our price range. 

Do we press that much from the front?

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Do we press that much from the front?

Well the main point was putting the work in, Diaz runs himself into the ground up there and I don’t think that’s Joao’s game. Not that it matters as I don’t think he’d be a realistic signing. 

5 minutes ago, Butty said:

Well the main point was putting the work in, Diaz runs himself into the ground up there and I don’t think that’s Joao’s game. Not that it matters as I don’t think he’d be a realistic signing. 

I dont really agree with this regularly repeated implication that Brereton stands out with the work rate he puts in compared to anyone else. Im not saying that he doesnt work hard enough by the way but he isnt a pressing machine in my opinion.

Joao is probably getting to the stage whereby you do at times question his application and he is quite streaky although I think if you put him in our team that he would give us a new dimension and another goal threat beside Brereton. 

As you say, all hypothetical though as he would cost well in excess of what Venkys would pay out.

10 hours ago, Vilesinner said:

Pickering and Wharton could possibly play for England some day. 

I think you are greatly underrating them. 

I am not underating them, Wharton has been superb and Pickering decent. I am just questioning the current valuations the other poster suggested. 

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Aye didn't they get booted out of the dressing room once ?

No chance TM will be revisiting that one.

Yeah think they both turned up late or something, so out of the team and out the dressing room.

• Like 1

I'm pretty certain that all at Rovers are fully aware that this season presents our best shot at going up. Particularly bearing in mind where we currently sit in the table and being mindful of the financial clout of those that are likely to be relegated from the PL this season.

Despite the rumours to the contrary, I'm also pretty certain that nobody will be going elsewhere this window, unless a ridiculous offer is received that would be silly to refuse.

There'll be some incomings (perhaps short term) but there will always be the thought that we don't want to block the progression of the wealth of talent (particularly in U18s) and some in U23s.

I'm pretty relaxed, as long as we sign some experienced heads (even if short term) to support our young squad and hopefully help us over the line this season.

COYB!!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Butty said:

Talented lad. Not sure he suits our current style of play though, he’s not one to press from the front and put the work in. Wouldn’t say no to him though, we desperately need another striker. Think Reading would want a decent-ish fee so like you say, probably out of our price range. 

I really really rated him. Big, strong, technically proficient, can lead the line centrally. Everything we don't have . Also very solid goal scoring record (25 in 60 games for Reading).

As long as we didn't need to break our financial structure it would make sense to me. But there's the rub - how do we get him for acceptable money? He's now a proven Championship scorer so sure Reading would want £££s.

Transfermarkt has him down at around £5m currently, and his contract through to 2023, and there's no real reason to doubt that assessment. And if Reading wanted to keep him they would be after a lot more than £5m to let go.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lucas-joao/profil/spieler/234787

Not really sure who we could get that fits the "cheap kid on loan" who would likely be available and have any impact. Cameron Archer has been strongly linked with Preston, saw him v Barrow when he got a hat trick earlier in the season and also a few other cameos, quick and seemingly knows where the goal is. Ellis Simms at Everton, impressed me from what I saw at Blackpool last year albeit in League 1. Kaide Gordon played in the cup for Liverpool last week and from a slightly wider role cutting in, missed a sitter though, would Liverpool be more reluctant anyway after Clarkson? Liam Delap is often mentioned, is he fit again yet? Dane Scarlett at Spurs, ahead of Markanday? None of the choices are exciting, all big gambles.

All in all, its very underwhelming and would show how little Venkys care.

17 hours ago, J*B said:

I don’t think they’re expecting to have another global pandemic anytime soon. 

So when we sell Brereton in the summer and get minimum £15 million for him that will take income from sales to upwards of £50 million in 12 months. Not to mention huge savings on wages since last summer after slashing numbers and costs. Plus the excuse of the pandemic really doesn't apply to this season as we have been allowed unlimited numbers at Ewood.

Any other club brought in £50 million and still using FFP as an excuse?

The alternative explanation, one which for some reason people are desperate to avoid talking about, is that Venkys are cutting back and turning off the taps on funding and trying to claw cash back after 2-3 years of backing Mowbray.

That makes much more sense to me.

A quick look at our opposition tonight shows you don't need £50 million in sales and training grounds being transferred to comply with FFP and still invest.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19868960.blackburn-rovers-drawing-loan-targets-dilan-markanday-injury/

Any attacking signing will be a kid on loan for financial reasons. Venkys as expected showing zero ambition.

Time to be proved wrong but I had naively hoped they may actually go for it a bit this window. A few kids and loans would be massively disappointing when we may not get this chance for another decade.

• Like 3

"A quick look at our opposition tonight shows you don't need £50 million in sales and training grounds being transferred to comply with FFP and still invest."

.....And where do our opposition tonight sit currently in the league table compared with us?

Your mathematics also don't add up....you can't use potential sales in the future as current cash in the bank.

FFP is a fact, rightly or wrongly...it's about time there were more bums on seats at Ewood, rather than just completely berating the owners for "lack of ambition". Like it or not, the fact is that Venkys poured in another just short of £35 million into BRFC last financial year, respectfully give it some thought.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

"A quick look at our opposition tonight shows you don't need £50 million in sales and training grounds being transferred to comply with FFP and still invest."

.....And where do our opposition tonight sit currently in the league table compared with us?

Your mathematics also don't add up....you can't use potential sales in the future as current cash in the bank.

FFP is a fact, rightly or wrongly...it's about time there were more bums on seats at Ewood, rather than just completely berating the owners for "lack of ambition". Like it or not, the fact is that Venkys poured in another just short of £35 million into BRFC last financial year, respectfully give it some thought.

Plus we made about 10 million profit on Armstrong.Only other player of value we have sold in the last 5 years is Raya for an initial 3 million.And have recieved nominal fees for a few others.

We spent 14 million alone on Gallagher, Armstrong and Brererton.

Boro have sold more than 2 first teamers in the last 5 years.

52 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19868960.blackburn-rovers-drawing-loan-targets-dilan-markanday-injury/

Any attacking signing will be a kid on loan for financial reasons. Venkys as expected showing zero ambition.

Depending on the quality of the loan, age doesn't necessarily matter. TBH our record in the loan market is quite good - of those this season only Clarkson didn't really work out (Poveda was unfortunate to get injured just when we could see why they brought him in).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

35 million, that's a lot. What was it spent on?

Middlesbrough - 7th, 7 points behind us, game in hand and, fact, closing in.

53 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not really sure who we could get that fits the "cheap kid on loan" who would likely be available and have any impact. Cameron Archer has been strongly linked with Preston, .

I think that's virtually done. Lowe and stevie g are big mates so I can't see him going anywhere else.

24 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

35 million, that's a lot. What was it spent on?

Middlesbrough - 7th, 7 points behind us, game in hand and, fact, closing in.

1. You tell me?....that's not the point, as you well know!

2. My point endorsed, thanks.

12 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

The only reason FFP is such a concern is because of Venky’s complete mismanagement of the club for the last 11 years. It’s costing them to much to keep the club afloat because of their own mistakes. People seem all too willing to overlook this in favour of praising them for some reason.

Yes, we need more bums on seats and I’m happy to report that that seems to be the case, but I’ll never blame people for being hesitant to come back to Ewood, if they feel like they’ve had the piss taken out of them. Just as I’ll never blame people for continuing to attend matches, because they love their club more than they hate Venky’s.

It's true that the mess is of their own making and of course I agree it is understandable why people don't go anymore with how the club is run.

But the post he replied to was implying that we have brought/by time sell Brererton we will have brought £50 million into the club which isn't true.

The 16.6 million paid for the training ground isn't 16.6 million profit that can be used.

In 5 years we have only sold 2 first team players up until Armstrong's sale £3-£5 million recieved for Raya.

We spent 14 million alone on bringing in the 3 forwards ourselves.

Other clubs including Boro have sold players too and last season and season before Boros spend was minimal.

Edited by islander200

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think merely being "better than Bell" is a bit insulting to Pickering to be honest! 

Probably! I could wax lyrical about him but I didn't feel the need, everyone knows he's good.

17 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

The only reason FFP is such a concern is because of Venky’s complete mismanagement of the club for the last 11 years. It’s costing them so much to keep the club afloat because of their own mistakes. People seem all too willing to overlook this in favour of praising them for some reason.

Yes, we need more bums on seats and I’m happy to report that that seems to be the case, but I’ll never blame people for being hesitant to come back to Ewood, if they feel like they’ve had the piss taken out of them. Just as I’ll never blame people for continuing to attend matches, because they love their club more than they hate Venky’s.

I get all of that, but at what point do you draw a line in the sand?

Who would you rather be today, here and now......a Claret with their owners or us with ours?

21 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

The only reason FFP is such a concern is because of Venky’s complete mismanagement of the club for the last 11 years.

Okay,  but there's no value for the club in focusing on that. What does it do for us? If we all woke up every day and looked back at all the decisions we took that led us to that moment in our lives, it would be time for dinner - the following Thursday.