BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

19 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

Have you looked at Rothwell’s stats? Why are we bothered about him going?

Hedges is decent. I’ve seen him with my own eyes. Shrewd signing.

And I thought Hedges wasn’t a replacement for Rothwell?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Same as my last post, can we really say things like this with any certainty? Bournemouth's offer will make him a higher earner than anyone at Ewood. Our offer has clearly fallen short of that, but that doesn't mean that it as derisory or that he's been mucked about. 

Nobody can say anything with certainty. Everything on here is either opinion, interpretation or based on what they have been told.

My interpretation, based on what I have heard and read, is that the owners and their patsy have mucked a lot of people around with mixed messages, no communication and general incompetence when it comes to contracts. 

Lets flip this right on its head - all the furore about Rothwell stems from Mowbray's comments to Rich Sharpe yesterday. We are assuming Mowbray is being 100 % honest there. As I've shown already today Mowbray often says things that are exaggerated or don't happen.

So it might be the case that Rothwell was willing to play yesterday, and isn't pushing for a move. It might instead be the case that Mowbray wants to sell him and is driving this hoping to get the cash from his sale to fund other moves.

I've learnt not to trust anyone or anything around here and whilst I'm not saying this is the case it could be. Depends on whether you take Mowbray's words as the accurate truth because we haven't had Rothwell's version of events and won't do if he leaves.

It has become clear there isn't much if any money without sales, which seems very strange to me, but we have seemingly now reached a stage where the only chance of money being spent on new players is by selling him. Maybe Mowbray knows this and feels it is a sacrifice worth making to bring in the 2-3 that he needs to fill out the squad? 

We just don't know. Lots of speculation yet as ever people are very quick to see the player as the villain and very reluctant to look closer to home at how the club has dealt with things. I see a pattern emerging on players and it isn't a good one.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Rothwell has chosen this moment to down tools, not us. There is no good outcome here, but this is all on Rothwell.

Good management could have avoided this outcome. Same for the others.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

If this is even remotely indicative then Rovers have big, big problems to come.

Little wonder Rothwell seems to be offski.

How the feck can you have Davenport earning twice as much as Rothwell, Travis and Buckley and more than Nyambe - relatively, for established Championship players, IMO, the wages of these four with so much potential are ridiculously low.

The Poveda wage doesn't surprise me - the only surprise is Rovers aren't paying more (as I was given to understand) of what I understand to be a £35k+ weekly wage with Leeds.  I posted about Poveda's wages when Rovers signed him and many on here couldn't believe it, now you know!

That wage 'structure' if anywhere near correct, and I use the word 'structure' loosely, is, IMO, indefensible and the height of incompetence and an indictment of the abilities of Waggott, Mowbray and Venus.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Do you honestly want Rothwell anywhere near this club right now??! Mowbray wants him out because his head isn’t in it. Fair enough by me.

Agreed and then if you’re not going to play him, do you want to have money for replacements or put a u23 in there?  

Just now, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Do you honestly want Rothwell anywhere near this club right now??! Mowbray wants him out because his head isn’t in it. Fair enough by me.

Just what the hell do you think he is actually going to do ?  Run around single handed trying to dislodge our promotion bid ?

Doesn't anybody think anyone doing something like that would get slapped down pretty quickly by the other lads. This is where strong management and leadership is needed. Tell him to clear off and stay out of the way unless he's prepared to get his head down, work and get on with it selected or not.

Part of me thinks it's better to say no to him going to Bournemouth and if they have to make an example of him so be it. Sends out a message to the rest of them to toe the line. The club wouldn't be standing in the way of him leaving they'd just not be letting him strengthen a promotion rival at a vital time.

Seems fair enough to me weighing up how much he might help them overtake us and all for the sake of a couple of million and a poxy 4 or 5 grand a week off the books.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Nobody can say anything with certainty. Everything on here is either opinion, interpretation or based on what they have been told.

My interpretation, based on what I have heard and read, is that the owners and their patsy have mucked a lot of people around with mixed messages, no communication and general incompetence when it comes to contracts. 

Lets flip this right on its head - all the furore about Rothwell stems from Mowbray's comments to Rich Sharpe yesterday. We are assuming Mowbray is being 100 % honest there. As I've shown already today Mowbray often says things that are exaggerated or don't happen.

So it might be the case that Rothwell was willing to play yesterday, and isn't pushing for a move. It might instead be the case that Mowbray wants to sell him and is driving this hoping to get the cash from his sale to fund other moves.

I've learnt not to trust anyone or anything around here and whilst I'm not saying this is the case it could be. Depends on whether you take Mowbray's words as the accurate truth because we haven't had Rothwell's version of events and won't do if he leaves.

It has become clear there isn't much if any money without sales, which seems very strange to me, but we have seemingly now reached a stage where the only chance of money being spent on new players is by selling him. Maybe Mowbray knows this and feels it is a sacrifice worth making to bring in the 2-3 that he needs to fill out the squad? 

We just don't know. Lots of speculation yet as ever people are very quick to see the player as the villain and very reluctant to look closer to home at how the club has dealt with things. I see a pattern emerging on players and it isn't a good one.

Why would TM want to sell him so bad.  Seems like what makes the mists sense is Bournemouth are offering 2x what we did and 5x his current pay. Misses wants to move. So off he goes. Not sure the idea that there’s some secrete plot to running off a key player in the middle of a promotion push makes sense 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Neal said:

Looking around in the championship, I don't think there's a lot out there. Freeman makes sense as a cheap punt but not exactly a statement signing to push us on. Styles would be decent. Wouldn't surprise me if they have moved for someone from a European side, most likely get better quality and value for money if you get it right. Makes you realise how hard it is to replace the quality of Rothwell. 

This is my concern (well, that and our inability to do deals on deadline day). Bournemouth are after exactly what we’ll be after. Their conclusion? Rothwell is the best available.

TM seems to think we can come out of this window stronger by selling him. I’m personally not so sure unless he has a real ace up his sleeve.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

He does a decent job.  

A matter of opinion!

You want your local journalist to be knowledgeable, decisive, inquisitive, brave and honest.  If he is, will command the respect of both club and fans.

IMO, Sharpe has no real sources, is nearly always behind the curve, sits on the fence and in the main gives Mowbray an easy ride.

• Like 2

As much as we've been on Sky TV and are scheduled to be on Sky TV quite a bit coming up, it's likely that the Deadline Day coverage on Sky Sports will fail to cover Rovers in much depth.

We'll be running a live deadline day show dedicated to Rovers and Rovers alone from 8:30pm over on YouTube tomorrow evening. Jaquob Crooke and Rich Sharpe will be joining us live on the show. We'll focus on Rovers and keep you up to date with all the latest rumours, gossip and confirmed deals.

Not quite the same budget as bSkyb but we'll give it a reyt good go

https://www.youtube.com/c/RoversChat

1 minute ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

This is my concern (well, that and our inability to do deals on deadline day). Bournemouth are after exactly what we’ll be after. Their conclusion? Rothwell is the best available.

I'm sure a significant portion of their thinking is that they will weaken a promotion rival though. They also seem to be trying to buy more than just Rothwell.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, yankfan said:

Why would TM want to sell him so bad.  Seems like what makes the mists sense is Bournemouth are offering 2x what we did and 5x his current pay. Misses wants to move. So off he goes. Not sure the idea that there’s some secrete plot to running off a key player in the middle of a promotion push makes sense 

I've just explained why. 

If we have no more money and clearly need some reinforcements perhaps Mowbray has decided this move is worth allowing to generate funds to enable him to sign a couple.

I think it is common knowledge that Mowbray and Rothwell perhaps haven't seen eye to eye in the past.

Of course any manager or club employee is going to portray the player as the problem rather than themselves.

I'm not saying this is or isn't the case - I was just pointing out that there are always different ways of seeing things and all we are doing on here is interpreting what has been said by others. Someone said I didn't have proof for what I was saying - of course I don't - none of us on here do.

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

As much as we've been on Sky TV and are scheduled to be on Sky TV quite a bit coming up, it's likely that the Deadline Day coverage on Sky Sports will fail to cover Rovers in much depth.

We'll be running a live deadline day show dedicated to Rovers and Rovers alone from 8:30pm over on YouTube tomorrow evening. Jaquob Crooke and Rich Sharpe will be joining us live on the show. We'll focus on Rovers and keep you up to date with all the latest rumours, gossip and confirmed deals.

Not quite the same budget as bSkyb but we'll give it a reyt good go

https://www.youtube.com/c/RoversChat

Does that mean Sharpe won't be free to do his own usual deadline day updates on the LT, or is he multitasking?

1 minute ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

TM seems to think we can come out of this window stronger by selling him. I’m personally really not so sure unless he has a real ace up his sleeve.

Not sure he means stronger right away, but we’ll lose him for nothing if he doesn’t leave now so it’s a gamble either way. It’s a shame that it’s to a promotion rival, and it’s a shame when Rothwell is playing the best football of his career. I think he’ll continue to perform down south, and that his replacement(s) will be loans from the PL. Big day tomorrow. 

The new posters from the Retirement Village must be getting their oxygen assisted sleep.

No doubt the zimmer frames will show up soon enough.

Anyway, selling for peanuts to a main promotion rival. In what universe is that a good play by Mowbray?

I saw someone posted a timeline of Mowbrays supposed brilliance in handling his. That or the working of a madman on a %%%%.

8 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I'm sure a significant portion of their thinking is that they will weaken a promotion rival though. They also seem to be trying to buy more than just Rothwell.

I think that’s the only true CM they’re after (from what I’m reading anyway). I see they’re close to getting Dembele and Woodman done, and being strongly linked with Cantwell and Williams.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

3 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

He said clearly in bbc radio lancs interview that due to the pandemic, the figures the players think they can get elsewhere are just not there.

Ok, that wasn't what I thought you were saying. You said something about the offers to the out-of-contracters not being on the table anymore, which sounded like we withdrew them.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mercer said:

How the feck can you have Davenport earning twice as much as Rothwell, Travis and Buckley and more than Nyambe - relatively, for established Championship players, IMO, the wages of these four with so much potential are ridiculously low.

The Poveda wage doesn't surprise me - the only surprise is Rovers aren't paying more (as I was given to understand) of what I understand to be a £35k+ weekly wage with Leeds.  I posted about Poveda's wages when Rovers signed him and many on here couldn't believe it, now you know!

That wage 'structure' if anywhere near correct, and I use the word 'structure' loosely, is, IMO, indefensible and the height of incompetence and an indictment of the abilities of Waggott, Mowbray and Venus.

Those figures are simply wrong because the total wage bill is at least double the £9m quoted. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

TM seems to think we can come out of this window stronger by selling him. I’m personally really not so sure unless he has a real ace up his sleeve.

Mine too 

Problem is, history suggests that most 'money' deals are agreed before deadline day, then finalised on it. As such usually they break the day/eve before - like Rothwell/Dembele to Bournemouth.

Absolutely nobody of any worth been linked to us so far suggests another piss poor day tomorrow. 

Hopefully I'm wrong 🤞

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

We’ve offered him a pay rise within a new contract and he turned it down.

Rothwell has chosen to force a move to a promotion rival with three days to go in the window by downing tools and refusing to play. Stop trying to absolve him of blame. He is a disgrace.

You’ve said this three times and it’s still not true. It’s impossible for Rothwell to force a move as he’s under contract, if he were to move we would have to agree to it.

21 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Its a random website, so it clearly untrustworthy. But how on earth would Poveda have managed to get such a high wage when he has never been a proper first teamer at Leeds?

A wage structure would depend on many factors anyway, no club would have it whereby the sole factor is ability. It depends on how long ago they signed their contract, their age, how influential they were at that time assuming it was a renewal for an existing players or where (and if there was a fee) they have been signed from.

Just now, Upside Down said:

The whole situation from start to finish totally sums up the complete ineptitude that we have come to expect from this club over the last decade. 

Venkys out.

Can you wait 24hrs and see what happens before you jump?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, alcd said:

Those figures are simply wrong because the total wage bill is at least double the £9m quoted. 

Rovers wage bill has always been odd though and god knows what else is actually on there. It isn't just the players though.