BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

3 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

You’re oversimplifying it to suit your narrative. It’s not Mowbray simply thinking he can find better players. It’s Rothwell refusing to play for us and forcing a move. It’s clear that Mowbray and Venkys did not want to sell Rothwell but he forced the issue.

The whole saga is regrettable but Rothwell has effectively downed tools and Mowbray clearly thinks that having him around with his head elsewhere is worse than selling, even to a rival. Tomorrow is huge. 

Rothwell can't force the issue. He can refuse to sign a new deal but has no say on whether he leaves or not this window.

If he goes Rovers CHOSE to let him go.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

This is the crux of the issue in a couple of sentences.

The shenanigans of the last 48 hours are just the outcome or product of us not having our house in order. Get our house in order = this doesn't happen.

Its another 'told you so' moment from me - I've been banging the drum about contracts and the dangers of allowing them to run down for many many months - this is why - it has put the club in a vulnerable position where we exposed to predators.

A player - whether that is Joe Rothwell or anyone else - wants security. If clubs are offering him good money and a long term contract and are professional in their dealings whilst we have mucked him around with derisory offers then it is obvious which way he is going to go.

The club has had time and opportunity to avoid this situation - and has done nothing.

And if anyone really expects Mowbray/Rovers/Venkys/Waggott to have already lined up a couple of proven quality permanent signings to replace him tomorrow I think you are going to end up disappointed. My expectation is a couple of loans and the usual spiel from Waggott about why things were all lined up but fell through.

I don’t know why I bother to go over this multiple times but if Rothwell refuses to sign a new deal and is determined to leave, there’s not a lot we can do about it. We’ve not ‘done nothing’. We’ve offered him new terms and he’s rejected them. He’s now forced a move to a rival club. Could we have offered more money? None of us have any idea but that doesn’t excuse Rothwell downing tools in the middle of arguably the biggest season in recent memory, to force a move to a promotion rival. 

• Like 2

Looking around in the championship, I don't think there's a lot out there. Freeman makes sense as a cheap punt but not exactly a statement signing to push us on. Styles would be decent. Wouldn't surprise me if they have moved for someone from a European side, most likely get better quality and value for money if you get it right. Makes you realise how hard it is to replace the quality of Rothwell. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Just looking at Ryan Hedges stats.

Why have we actually signed him? 

Have you looked at Rothwell’s stats? Why are we bothered about him going?

Hedges is decent. I’ve seen him with my own eyes. Shrewd signing.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

Bournemouth fans would be saying the same if they looked at Rothwell stats prior to this season.

He is here now and cost 200k ,let's see how he gets on before we label him

Yes our recruitment of pretty modest looking players has been decent recently (Rothwell, Hedges, Pickering, Dolan) - so I think the scouts and management deserve the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not straw clutching but My mate's son has pointed out that Sharpe's twitter feed is saying that the situation from Rovers end on Rothwell is that it is basically unchanged. I.e. no sale without replacents first.

Are we saying he's completely wrong?

I don't think Sharpe know his arse from his elbow - IMO, a hopeless journalist.

6 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

The trouble with statements like this is that we don't know what Rothwell's demands were, or whether he would ever have accepted an offer that we could have realistically made. Without knowing the specifics of demands and offers, it's impossible to know how much of the blame the club takes in finding themselves in this dilemma. 

I'm basing it on the notion that he's never received a pay rise since he left Oxford to join us.

Do you know any different?

Edited by 47er

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

This is the crux of the issue in a couple of sentences.

The shenanigans of the last 48 hours are just the outcome or product of us not having our house in order. Get our house in order = this doesn't happen.

Its another 'told you so' moment from me - I've been banging the drum about contracts and the dangers of allowing them to run down for many many months - this is why - it has put the club in a vulnerable position where we exposed to predators.

A player - whether that is Joe Rothwell or anyone else - wants security. If clubs are offering him good money and a long term contract and are professional in their dealings whilst we have mucked him around with derisory offers then it is obvious which way he is going to go.

The club has had time and opportunity to avoid this situation - and has done nothing.

And if anyone really expects Mowbray/Rovers/Venkys/Waggott to have already lined up a couple of proven quality permanent signings to replace him tomorrow I think you are going to end up disappointed. My expectation is a couple of loans and the usual spiel from Waggott about why things were all lined up but fell through.

Same as my last post, can we really say things like this with any certainty? Bournemouth's offer will make him a higher earner than anyone at Ewood. Our offer has clearly fallen short of that, but that doesn't mean that it as derisory or that he's been mucked about. 

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

I'm basing it on the notion that he's never received a pay rise since he left Oxford to join us.

Do yo know any different?

He has had a contract on the table according to the club and chose not to sign it.

Maybe at the time that contract it was offered it was fair as he wasn't showing the form worthy of a mega rise.

And now  the form he is showing has made what he can get elsewhere unaffordable for us.

It's shit like agreed and I would not be selling to our rivals but up until parts of last season and this he wasn't showing the form worthy of a contract in excess of 10k per week.His contribution prior to that was minimal

6 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

I don’t know why I bother to go over this multiple times but if Rothwell refuses to sign a new deal and is determined to leave, there’s not a lot we can do about it. We’ve not ‘done nothing’. We’ve offered him new terms and he’s rejected them. He’s now forced a move to a rival club. Could we have offered more money? None of us have any idea but that doesn’t excuse Rothwell downing tools in the middle of arguably the biggest season in recent memory, to force a move to a promotion rival. 

The point of course is that rival clubs will have only taken serious interest this season as he has been integral to the side storming to the top of the division. Prior to that he wasn't getting serious interest from elsewhere so will have been much easier to tie down to a new deal. 

Everything you say is a product of us not either selling him at a more convenient time or resolving his contractual situation. Not doing either has put us into this vulnerable position where we have few choices and no time.

Could we have offered more money? Almost certainly yes - and I come back to the central issue here - it isn't just Rothwell in this position. He has come to the fore this window because of his performances this season and interest from elsewhere - but there are many others in the same/similar positions - all because the club hasn't offered enough to keep them under contract. 

Don't pay the money = be left wide open to predatory clubs. I think with billionaire owners funding 8 figure annual losses we should be well protected from that sort of thing but instead we seem to want to operate as an academy to develop players for others to poach when ready. 

No problem if that is like Armstrong - off to a PL club for substantial money - but to Bournemouth? Embarrassing is the word I'd use. I thought after trying to knock our training ground down this lot could sink no lower but flogging our best player to a Championship rival on deadline day during a promotion push I think takes it to a whole new level.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Rothwell can't force the issue. He can refuse to sign a new deal but has no say on whether he leaves or not this window.

If he goes Rovers CHOSE to let him go.

Yes and they can certainly say you are NOT going to Bournemouth right now son.  It appears the owners are in agreement with that but others down there wan't to let him do as he pleases.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 47er said:

We’ve offered him a pay rise within a new contract and he turned it down.

Rothwell has chosen to force a move to a promotion rival with three days to go in the window by downing tools and refusing to play. Stop trying to absolve him of blame. He is a disgrace.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, den said:

Question for everybody. 
You are Tony Mowbray.

TM - the owners tell me they don’t want to sell you at this point Joe. If we keep you for now, will you put 100% into games.

JR - I can’t guarantee that boss.

What are you going to do?

kick him in the bollocks and tell trav to break his leg in training

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Just looking at Ryan Hedges stats.

Why have we actually signed him? 

Rothwell has 22 career assists. Not all about numbers.

22 minutes ago, 47er said:

Well he could have gone to Chicago Fire then Den. Anywhere But Bournemouth.

Players are in full control nowadays 47er, you know that.

im with you with the frustration of thinking how could anyone think of Bournemouth being a step up though. That’s a bummer.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

The point of course is that rival clubs will have only taken serious interest this season as he has been integral to the side storming to the top of the division. Prior to that he wasn't getting serious interest from elsewhere so will have been much easier to tie down to a new deal. 

Everything you say is a product of us not either selling him at a more convenient time or resolving his contractual situation. Not doing either has put us into this vulnerable position where we have few choices and no time.

Could we have offered more money? Almost certainly yes - and I come back to the central issue here - it isn't just Rothwell in this position. He has come to the fore this window because of his performances this season and interest from elsewhere - but there are many others in the same/similar positions - all because the club hasn't offered enough to keep them under contract. 

Don't pay the money = be left wide open to predatory clubs. I think with billionaire owners funding 8 figure annual losses we should be well protected from that sort of thing but instead we seem to want to operate as an academy to develop players for others to poach when ready. 

No problem if that is like Armstrong - off to a PL club for substantial money - but to Bournemouth? Embarrassing is the word I'd use. I thought after trying to knock our training ground down this lot could sink no lower but flogging our best player to a Championship rival on deadline day during a promotion push I think takes it to a whole new level.

But why wasn't he getting interest elsewhere because prior to parts of last season and this he wasn't showing the form to deserve interest or a big pay rise.

Look at his stats.Im a fan of his think he is talented but after the initial buzz when he first signed I quickly got sick of him taking a few players on getting me off my seat and it leading to nothing.

Fair play to him this season he has started making better decisions with his final ball and his numbers have improved.

Bournemouth will pay him a wage that we can't afford without having every other team member knocking on the door for a pay rise.

If Rothwell had been put on the transfer list summer before last we would have been getting bids around the £500k-£1 million mark

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

We’ve left it too late. Not unusual for us!

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Yes and they can certainly say you are NOT going to Bournemouth right now son.  It appears the owners are in agreement with that but others down there wan't to let him do as he pleases.

Do you honestly want Rothwell anywhere near this club right now??! Mowbray wants him out because his head isn’t in it. Fair enough by me.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 47er said:

He's had a contract offer on the table for ages which is widely accepted to be a pay rise of some description. My point though is that you said that Rovers could've saved themselves this bother if we offered him a contract which recognises his value. Fine, but we don't know what we offered and what he would've accepted (or if he always intended to let his contract run anyway) so we can't be overly confident that this was a situation that we could have avoided.