BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Stoke City (a) - 27/11/21

21 minutes ago, superniko said:

He didn’t start today but I can’t help feel Dolan’s work ethic and personality is rubbing off on others. He works his socks off, and even without him today we played like a team without the ball.
With the talk of “gegenpressing” as Rangnick is looking like the United boss, I love that we’re sort of moulding into that, like the Bielsa Leeds side in the Championship. Not having loads of possession but as soon as we lose it we press to force the mistake and then use pacey, entertaining forwards to take advantage. 

I can forgive a lot in Rovers side if they work their socks off, and when we have that we get rewarded like today (albeit it felt like a poor Stoke performance despite their position)

If the team is willing to work hard together then there is always a chance of getting a good result no matter who the opposition is. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

No they couldn’t do what Oyston did, he stole £22m in hard cash and was made to repay it all, every single penny and costs and indeed they were ordered to sell a number of assets because they didn’t find the cash😂

There was an interesting article in the paper about Sheffield United. Jokanovic the fifth championship manager to be fired in the last 70 days including some of those touted as replacements for Mowbray.

United have banked two years of Premier League parachute payments and up to 38 million  quid for Ramsdale  Yet the manager was only allowed to recruit loan signings and free transfers in the last two windows

Mowbray has been given a pretty free hand in the market and Venkys have hung on in there for ten years in spite of their mistakes.

We are fourth, and I for one thank Mowbray and Venkys for that,  as well as our young, hungry and motivated team.

There have been false dawns before, but I will take that emotional risk. I have carried my heart on my sleeve for almost sixty years for Rovers.  

That’s Football.

• Like 3

Just seen the twitter feed from Rovers, what is absolutely clear is the togetherness of the players, each to a man congratulating each other as they leave the park, no ego no sulking just pure unadulterated togetherness 👍

Edited by 1864roverite
  • Like 5

The team played really well and dealt with conditions better than a weak Stoke. Buckley was outstanding, Rothwell a master and his ball collection with short threating runs worried their players. Diaz is growing - no hang on - has grown in confidence and was unlucky not to score in first half. He also calmed congested play a couple of times with long cross field balls, the type of passes that if the team player isn't there then it goes horribly wrong but he knew exactly what he was doing. Got to mention Van Hecke too, played like he's never been away. 

• Like 3

Delighted with the result.  Gutted I didn’t go but my brother was full of superlatives for the players and performance.

Class to hear Bucko is doing the business yet again and Wharton continuing to show what a player he is.  Proper old school defender isn’t he.

Let’s keep this up Rovers!

RTID

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Imagine what it could be like if our disjointed and divided supporters could mirror off the pitch what is going on on the pitch 👍👍……….just saying 

What a pointless comment. Only purpose to try and get a rise…

Yes, we’ve had a few good results recently but it doesn’t paper over the fact we had our worst ever home defeat 4 weeks ago (in the second division no less) and we’ve been woefully mismanaged for over 10 years.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, mustard said:

Wharton continuing to show what a player he is.  Proper old school defender isn’t he.

RTID

Can’t be understated can it…when did he come back from injury? As we’ve only conceded 2 in our last 4 games. (Think he was back after the Fulham trouncing and red card for Van Hecke)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RoverCanada said:

For all the (justified!) uproar about the current out-of-contract players (I'm keeping some optimism that they'll be more keen to sign as this season rolls along. Clearly some good spirit in this team), there have been some good extensions of late among our younger players: Buckley, Dolan, Edun, Wharton, and Carter are all signed up to 2024 + an option year, a year to forget so far for JRC but he's signed up to 2024, Pickering and Garrett up to 2025.

A minor point, but note that surviving one year in the PL is important as immediate relegation means only 2 years of parachute payments.

A key fact for Huddersfield (their mid-table first year was an absolute miracle after being a pretty mediocre playoff winner...) and Sheffield United. However, those are both cases where the state of your ownership is also a key factor, as apparently neither are in a position to fully train their parachute payments to (Huddersfield having to guarantee some payback for their old owners, SHU dealing with ownership turmoil...)

Anyway, let's not get ahead of ourselves 🙂

That's not enough key players signed up long term tbh. Those are also players low paid enough that the negotiations are easy, or new players. Tbh I don't even want JRC to be signed up for so long unless he is on buttons, as it's looking increasingly likely he will never be able to stay fit for long enough.

4 minutes ago, Displaced Rover said:

Yes, we’ve had a few good results recently but it doesn’t paper over the fact we had our worst ever home defeat 4 weeks ago (in the second division no less) and we’ve been woefully mismanaged for over 10 years.

I don't think that changes that the fans need to be more united. The amount of hateful bickering we have seen is tragic. Fans (both 'sides') need to learn to disagree peacefully and get along.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Displaced Rover said:

Pointless? It’s an honest observation and I reiterate , if the supporters came together instead of bitching whining slating and bickering then who knows how much of a boost it would give the players.

Another observation is your comment about the historical home defeat, as bad as it was, and I have bore witness to some horror home shows (and away) in my 50 plus years of following Rovers, is that just how many young teams would have responded in the manner that this team have? The supporters have played their part, even more supporters in the ground backing the team would surely only serve as further positive support!

Edited by 1864roverite
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, mustard said:

Delighted with the result.  Gutted I didn’t go but my brother was full of superlatives for the players and performance.

Class to hear Bucko is doing the business yet again and Wharton continuing to show what a player he is.  Proper old school defender isn’t he.

RTID

Think the commentators on I follow today said we've never lost when Wharton has started a game. **

** I was watching from New Yotk.

*cough*

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RoverCanada said:

For all the (justified!) uproar about the current out-of-contract players (I'm keeping some optimism that they'll be more keen to sign as this season rolls along. Clearly some good spirit in this team), there have been some good extensions of late among our younger players: Buckley, Dolan, Edun, Wharton, and Carter are all signed up to 2024 + an option year, a year to forget so far for JRC but he's signed up to 2024, Pickering and Garrett up to 2025.

A minor point, but note that surviving one year in the PL is important as immediate relegation means only 2 years of parachute payments.

A key fact for Huddersfield (their mid-table first year was an absolute miracle after being a pretty mediocre playoff winner...) and Sheffield United. However, those are both cases where the state of your ownership is also a key factor, as apparently neither are in a position to fully train their parachute payments to (Huddersfield having to guarantee some payback for their old owners, SHU dealing with ownership turmoil...)

Anyway, let's not get ahead of ourselves 🙂

Given just how good the players coming out of the academy are I am really excited to see Garrett. People were raving about him the way they were about Buckley if I recall correctly?

Anyone who watches the under 23s got an update on how he's getting along?

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

If the team is willing to work hard together then there is always a chance of getting a good result no matter who the opposition is. 

Mowbray gets a lot of abuse, but no one could say Buckley, Rothwell, Brereton and Dolans natural game is to press. He's done a very good job in terms of turning them into players who are always looking to close down the opposition. 

37 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Pointless? It’s an honest observation and I reiterate , if the supporters came together instead of bitching whining slating and bickering then who knows how much of a boost it would give the players.

Very little, as the support at both home and away games is always behind the players with the exception of a 7-0 home defeat which isn’t really a surprise. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Mowbray gets a lot of abuse, but no one could say Buckley, Rothwell, Brereton and Dolans natural game is to press. He's done a very good job in terms of turning them into players who are always looking to close down the opposition. 

Disagree on Dolan, think he has done that here from day one. Definitely part of his natural game for me. Not sure if Buckley used to play like that in the u23s or not, but he was too frail last season to be doing it against men. Credit to the coaching team and Buckley himself for recognising the weakness (obvious as it was) and working on it. Rothwell and Brereton, fully agree, though both have the pace to be effective at it.

We played a bit like this early doors last season and got a decent return from it, and then morphed into a team that preferred to laboriously stroke the ball around to no effect. I do wonder what could have been last season if we stuck with that approach instead of trying to be all silky. But the main thing is we are doing it right now. Hope it continues.

And screw me sideways but I just realised - Tony has finally got his 5 at the back shite to return some points! Historically we have always been dreadful when it came out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yes I've been especially impressed by what I've seen from Dolan. The good thing about the pressing is that it doesn't require mega talent to do. Just hard graft and a bit of nous to close down the space. Mowbray must be given some credit for drilling it into the players to do that.

I've seen us concede too many times over the years because players are too lazy to go and win the ball back after losing it, especially the forwards.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Err they do? They get nothing but support at both Ewood and especially away from home…

oh, sorry, you obviously mean the division and spats that are all over social media and brfcs.com that mean absolutely bugger all!

No I actually mean all those fans who bitch bite and stay away when there really is a solid young team taking shape at the club. We may despise venkys, we may dislike Mowbray and Waggot but the club and team are far more important and it’s that that really matters.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I disagree about dolan he's showed from moment one that he will graft his heart out for the badge and he deserves immense credit for that. Both on and off the pitch that young man sums up arte et labore.

• Like 1