BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Stoke City (a) - 27/11/21

9 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Disagree on Dolan, think he has done that here from day one. Definitely part of his natural game for me. Not sure if Buckley used to play like that in the u23s or not, but he was too frail last season to be doing it against men. Credit to the coaching team and Buckley himself for recognising the weakness (obvious as it was) and working on it. Rothwell and Brereton, fully agree, though both have the pace to be effective at it.

We played a bit like this early doors last season and got a decent return from it, and then morphed into a team that preferred to laboriously stroke the ball around to no effect. I do wonder what could have been last season if we stuck with that approach instead of trying to be all silky. But the main thing is we are doing it right now. Hope it continues.

And screw me sideways but I just realised - Tony has finally got his 5 at the back shite to return some points! Historically we have always been dreadful when it came out.

I think it's about the right blend of players making it work now at the back. Having a dynamic midfield in front of the back 5 certainly helps. As does defending from the front and having a few who can actually run forwards with the ball.

3 hours ago, The1mattjansen said:

I've not watched a full Rovers game this season before that, but Buckley looks extremely comfortable on the ball and very clearly has something about him that's rare at this level.

Him and Rothwell are both fantastic ball carrying, forward looking midfielders. Makes a huge difference to have 2 players like that, as our forwards, effective as they have been, are nothing like as technically gifted.

That's the key difference, finally shut of the likes of Bennett, Evans, Downing, & Johnson not featuring etc. Should have happened ages ago.......we can now hopefully move forward as long as Mowbray allows them to thrive. He's hopefully woken up and realised that Rothwell, Travis and Buckley are the future........now let them get on with it.

Edited by BlueBro
  • Like 8

11 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

Yes I've been especially impressed by what I've seen from Dolan. The good thing about the pressing is that it doesn't require mega talent to do. Just hard graft and a bit of nous to close down the space. Mowbray must be given some credit for drilling it into the players to do that.

I've seen us concede too many times over the years because players are too lazy to go and win the ball back after losing it, especially the forwards.

Young lads with plenty in the legs and willingness to do it is so good to watch.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

alas to late,should have been done a month ago,the way we are playing we`de have got a 25000+ crowd,north end would have filled the darwen end as well imo

Not sure we’d have been close to 25k (we’ve only got around 7.5k ST holders remember), but yes, a reasonable price for PNE would have seen a real spike in sales over the next week, coupled with a big away following, it would have been a cracker of an occasion.

*Sigh*

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

Uncle Jack's second dream is coming true, believe it or not.

Rovers' first team is made up of mainly youth team youngsters having come through and made the grade. Nyambe, Lenihan, Wharton, Carter, Travis, Buckley, Rankin-Costello, Davenport and Butterworth with Garrett waiting in the wings.

Also we have Dolan who came to join our under 23s and young Pickering from the great Crewe set-up.

Yes, Uncle Jack would have a beaming smile.

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

No I actually mean all those fans who bitch bite and stay away when there really is a solid young team taking shape at the club. We may despise venkys, we may dislike Mowbray and Waggot but the club and team are far more important and it’s that that really matters.

An extra few hundred on matchday will give the team very little boost.

Not followed league football for about a decade but the Euro's reignited my interest in football and I've been slowly getting back into league football and watching Rovers games weekly recently. The team they have now certainly seems more exciting to watch than the Rovers teams I remember in the late 2000's. Glad to see them doing well.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Not sure we’d have been close to 25k (we’ve only got around 7.5k ST holders remember), but yes, a reasonable price for PNE would have seen a real spike in sales over the next week, coupled with a big away following, it would have been a cracker of an occasion.

*Sigh*

Yeah, the Wigan offer 2 years ago was a much better atmosphere to the rest of the season, but still only 18k in total, albeit a poorer away following. A decent ticket offer and we would get 20k for pne, which is usually the highest attendance of the year since we’ve been in the Championship.

An absolutely fantastic win for us today. 

The only negative us the injury to Kaminski which I fear could scupper this playoff charge if he is out for a significant period of time.

Pears was an accident waiting to happen in all of his appearances last season and his appearance today nearly cost us 2 points. He was getting credit for a good save but it was actually a dreadful mistake where he was horrendously positioned (the ball was going straight down the middle). 

Other than that they didn't have a clear cut chance all game. We were defensively solid today without ayala which is some achievement for this team. I wasn't a fan of the 5 at the back when we tried it earlier in the season but performances like Wednesday and today are winning me over.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

An absolutely fantastic win for us today. 

The only negative us the injury to Kaminski which I fear could scupper this playoff charge if he is out for a significant period of time.

Pears was an accident waiting to happen in all of his appearances last season and his appearance today nearly cost us 2 points. He was getting credit for a good save but it was actually a dreadful mistake where he was horrendously positioned (the ball was going straight down the middle). 

Other than that they didn't have a clear cut chance all game. We were defensively solid today without ayala which is some achievement for this team. I wasn't a fan of the 5 at the back when we tried it earlier in the season but performances like Wednesday and today are winning me over.

As long as we keep clean sheets then that's all that matters.

3 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

Imagine what it could be like if our disjointed and divided supporters could mirror off the pitch what is going on on the pitch 👍👍……….just saying 

Imagine what we could achieve if we had a good manager is another way of looking at it. For example was it a wise decision to pay good money  to Boro for Pears? I fear we might be about to find out.

We always said on here that the young lads we have should have figured over the old uns he kept picking.

Edited by 47er
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Beanie01289 said:

I disagree about dolan he's showed from moment one that he will graft his heart out for the badge and he deserves immense credit for that. Both on and off the pitch that young man sums up arte et labore.

I agree from day 1 he has ran his socks off both defensively and offensively. His enthusiasm is infectious.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 47er said:

Imagine what we could achieve if we had a good manager is another way of looking at it. For example was it a wise decision to pay good money  to Boro for Pears? I fear we might be about to find out.

We always said on here that the young lads we have should have figured over the old uns he kept picking.

Sitting 4th in the league as we come into December after having no money to spend and you digging out the manager? Really?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 47er said:

Mowbray should have gone last year but I don’t think anyone can criticise how this season has gone, even with the Fulham defeat. How many fans predicted that we’d be sitting 4th at the end of November? I doubt we’ll sustain it but given the squad, this is as good as it realistically could have gone so far.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Wood26 said:

Sitting 4th in the league as we come into December after having no money to spend and you digging out the manager? Really?

No, not really. Just commenting on one of those triumphalist posts I can't stand.

Always delighted when we win because I am a Rovers supporter from birth.

• Like 2

• Backroom

A huge huge win today, one that I didn’t expect and if we can push on one that could be pivotal.

Massive credit to the manager and team for the response to the Fulham humiliation.

Really pleased it sounds like Buckley had a stormer, a criticism I’ve had of him has he can have a brilliant half then fade rapidly but if he can add the consistency he can be huge for us.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Mowbray should have gone last year but I don’t think anyone can criticise how this season has gone, even with the Fulham defeat. How many fans predicted that we’d be sitting 4th at the end of November? I doubt we’ll sustain it but given the squad, this is as good as it realistically could have gone so far.

Yep! Can't disagree with any of that.

Its a thin line we tread though and heavily dependent on Kaminski being fit I'd suggest.

• Like 1