BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Birmingham (h) - 18/12/21

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Forgot to mention poor do's by Mowbary he should be selling these kids a dream nit throwing his arms in the air going oh well.  Fight Mowbary fight.

Whenever I listen to Mowbray's interviews now it carries the air of a man who is aware his contract is expiring, therefore lacking the passion of somebody who would otherwise be fully committed. I might just be projecting that onto Mowbray's words knowing that he currently only has six months or so left, but it's the impression I get when I hear him recently.

6 minutes ago, DE. said:

Whenever I listen to Mowbray's interviews now it carries the air of a man who is aware his contract is expiring, therefore lacking the passion of somebody who would otherwise be fully committed. I might just be projecting that onto Mowbray's words knowing that he currently only has six months or so left, but it's the impression I get when I hear him recently.

Maybe he is dampening the clear optimism within the club to keep things grounded

• Like 1

• Backroom

Just watched the highlights again and there is something really great in pretty much every goal we scored yesterday.

1st goal - Superb long pass from Van Hecke to Nyambe, then fantastic chested control by Nyambe and an awesome burst of pace past the defender to get into a dangerous position for a cross. A bit of luck with where the keeper pushed it out, but Buckley was still in the perfect position to capitalise, a trait that Dack has which we missed last season when he was out.

2nd goal - Perfect throw out from Kaminski, beautifully weighted ball from Lenihan and an excellent run and composed finish from Khadra. The ball goes from Kaminski to the back of their net in roughly 12 seconds!

3rd goal - Brilliant closing down in the opponent's half to win the ball back, great slotted pass from Rothwell to set BBD away. I then couldn't help but laugh as this is typical Brereton, taking a player on in the clumsiest way possible and still somehow managing to get past him - then doing well to get the ball under control, luring the keeper into bringing him down. Calm and collected penalty.

4th goal - An exquisitively chipped ball by Johnson into the path of Butterworth, who does well to escape his man and put in a dangerous ball. Some fortune with the way it went in, but who cares.

We're a joy to watch at the moment.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Ossydave said:

I think we need to hope this damn pandemic doesn't make prem clubs think they need to pad their squads out a bit to compensate for first teamers being unavailable due to positive tests etc. As invaluable as our top players are to us, I think that's all they'd be to them - squad players. Apart from teams struggling at the foot of the table, and would they rather be involved in a promotion push or a relegation scrap? I know which I'd pick. They only need to look at Adam Armstrong to realise life after Rovers ain't always all that, in fact it very rarely does lead to better things historically.

We need to gamble any potential quick buck in Jan for the millions of the prem. This isn't a mercerman banker, this is an actual gamble with a chance of winning!

Playing or sitting on the bench for a lower pren club maybe more palatable if you are on triple the wages.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Maybe he is dampening the clear optimism within the club to keep things grounded

Why would anyone want to dampen optimism ?

He's just worried about his own arse again if things fall away it's called preparing the ground. 

He really should be backing his players to the hilt and feeding the flames of confidence with every sinew he can. The fella has obviously been doing something right but by god he's hard to listen to at times.

Can only hope he plays a really different tune away from the microphones. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

Why would anyone want to dampen optimism ?

He's just worried about his own arse again if things fall away it's called preparing the ground. 

He really should be backing his players to the hilt and feeding the flames of confidence with every sinew he can. The fella has obviously been doing something right but by god he's hard to listen to at times.

Can only hope he plays a really different tune away from the microphones. 

Alternatively he may just be playing the psychology game lessening expectation of the team whilst in house driving them into bigger and better things. Maybe he has read RFW and his ways and means 😅😅

• J*B unpinned this topic
4 hours ago, USABlue said:

Forgot to mention poor do's by Mowbary he should be selling these kids a dream nit throwing his arms in the air going oh well.  Fight Mowbary fight.

Completely agree, these sort of comments are absolutely disgraceful from Mowbray - just at a time when if it wasn't for nonsense like this you might be able to warm to him a little due to the improved performances and results.

He should be saying something like:  "Whilst I don't know at this stage whether I'll be here beyond the end of the season, I'll be moving heaven and earth to gain promotion and to that end we have a very talented bunch of young players with a terrific attitude. For me under no circumstances should anyone be allowed to leave in January and break this squad up but unfortunately it isn't my decision to make".

That then puts the ball right back into Venky's Court and places pressure on them to add to the squad rather than break it up.

I wonder if he would be a bit more enthusiastic and a little less defeatist if his contract wasn't up at the end of the season? Not saying he should get a new deal mind.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, arbitro said:

There was proper succession planning under John Williams and Tom Finn. I remember players were offered new deals well before their old ones run down and invariably they signed. I remember Garry Flitcroft saying he was offered a new deal when he was rehabilitating after an awful injury. He cited that as the main reason for his loyalty which is a two way street.

It's incredible to think that our season and probably the best chance of promotion could be derailed by money when you consider how much this lot have spunked on absolute dross. Only under Venkys could this surreality occur.

I think people are conveniently forgetting that. I don’t want to be a doom monger amongst this great run we are having, but do not forget the crazy hap hazzard way, the owners have run this club. This has still not changed and never will under these people. 

We do not find ourselves on the brink financially because of the fans, it is purely down to the people who they have appointed and the buck stops with them.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DE. said:

Just watched the highlights again and there is something really great in pretty much every goal we scored yesterday.

1st goal - Superb long pass from Van Hecke to Nyambe, then fantastic chested control by Nyambe and an awesome burst of pace past the defender to get into a dangerous position for a cross. A bit of luck with where the keeper pushed it out, but Buckley was still in the perfect position to capitalise, a trait that Dack has which we missed last season when he was out.

2nd goal - Perfect throw out from Kaminski, beautifully weighted ball from Lenihan and an excellent run and composed finish from Khadra. The ball goes from Kaminski to the back of their net in roughly 12 seconds!

3rd goal - Brilliant closing down in the opponent's half to win the ball back, great slotted pass from Rothwell to set BBD away. I then couldn't help but laugh as this is typical Brereton, taking a player on in the clumsiest way possible and still somehow managing to get past him - then doing well to get the ball under control, luring the keeper into bringing him down. Calm and collected penalty.

4th goal - An exquisitively chipped ball by Johnson into the path of Butterworth, who does well to escape his man and put in a dangerous ball. Some fortune with the way it went in, but who cares.

We're a joy to watch at the moment.

Butterworth and Breo both hit woodwork yesterday...Butterworths can be a smashing 10 min super sub!

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Completely agree, these sort of comments are absolutely disgraceful from Mowbray - just at a time when if it wasn't for nonsense like this you might be able to warm to him a little due to the improved performances and results.

Try reading between the lines for once Rev, don't take everything so literal, he's sending a message, its clearly passed you and one or two others by.......

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

Yes, that thought occurred to me too, perhaps he's sending a message to India via the media, but then again I never had Tony down as having the brainpower to be that clever or Machiavellian. 

So really you have to take it at face value: he's telling clubs to make offers in the January window

• Like 1

I presume those comments were made in response to specific questions, and was therefore put on the spot?

If he's not been told by the owners - his bosses - what they plan is, he's hardly going to publicly commit them to anything is he, especially if he is after a new contract himself. Would you make outright promises about your company commiting to a certain level of investment without any authority's to do so?

I think folk read too much into managers' media interviews, be it pre-match comments about the opposition, post match analysis, transfer speculation etc. I'm sure internal conversations are very different and much less diplomatic. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JBiz said:

I would imagine that’s standard for any contract below top flight.

Bonuses for it, I'd imagine yes. Huge ones? Nah, just for the best players. Whatever we are offering in that area, increase it. If we go up, we can more than afford it. If we don't, it didn't cost us anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think we were discussing players who had scored 20 goals for Rovers by Jan Ist in any season.

Andy McEvoy had scored 23 league goals by that point in the season 1963-64.

It was before Christmas, and 19 as BBD has done, but I'm guessing Andy McEvoy is still the answer?

35 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

In that case it’s a tie. Andy scored 3 at West Ham on Boxing Day and another against West Ham in the return game at Ewood two days later.

Do you just have a ridiculously good memory or do you have a book or something with all the old games in?

• Like 1