BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Birmingham (h) - 18/12/21

3 hours ago, DaveyB said:

On this kind of Rovers-trivia theme - the guys behind me today were wondering when the last time we had a striker hit 19 goals before Christmas?

Without looking at the stats I’d have guessed maybe Shearer back in 1992/93 - but I suspect someone on here might know better

Shearer scored 16 that whole season, 14 before Christmas. He got that terrible injury after all. He had 16 before Christmas the next season, and again the season after. 17 by Christmas in his final season with us.

Armstrong had 15 before Christmas last season.

Think you'd have to look back to before the Prem era. Someone's shout of Tommy Briggs might be on the money. I don't know how to find out whether he did.

If not him, I'd have to wonder if it's the first time in the club's history...which would really be something!

This 3 centerback defence is working miracles now! Wharton, Van Heck, Lenihan + Ayala from bench. They will eat strikers for lunches. They complement each other so well at the moment. Lenihan seems to be playing so much better, even if he makes a mistake, Van Heck is there. And Wharton is as steady as rock.

Lets hope we can keep this team and everyone around after Jan. 

A+ on the report card for Rovers for the first half of the season for me. No doubt.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, lraC said:

This is where the funds from the Armstrong sale and the sale of the STC could be used to offer the 4 players the deals they crave and give us a fighting chance.

It is literally a heads I win, tails I win scenario, as a promotion brings the riches that mean we can afford these increases. Fail to make it and the extended contracts mean a sale in the summer, increase the value of each and every one.

As other have already mentioned, breaking this side up now, would surely make no sense, as yesterday’s performance, showed we are the real deal, so let’s not pass it up, by doing something stupid.

One other quick note, had we not thrown the 4 points away in the Luton and Coventry games, we would now be league leaders. That’s how good we currently are. 

Unfortunately it’s not that simple. Give those four ‘what they want’ and we’ll have every player coming back cap in hand for a pay rise…plus, keeping them happy doesn’t guarantee promotion:..it’s def a tricky situation.

• Like 2

Back on topic somewhat...

What a performance. Just wow. Clinical, solid and ruthless. The togetherness of this side is palpable. The drive, the determination obvious and the perfection in which each is playing their role exquisitely. (Hyperbole overload 😁)

We are so well oiled and full of confidence now that we could probably give most teams in the PL a good game. Confidence is so important with us (see BBD) and it was if the players simply knew that we would win comfortably.

As soon as we went 1 up it was game over in my eyes. Brum were very 1 dimensional in their approach play (I.e.get the ball up to Deeney) and the 3 at the back dealt with it so easily it was almost embarrassing to watch. 

I used to laugh about Lennihans 1 dimensional diagonal Cross field passes, but the ability for 1 of the back 3 to now step into midfield with the ball showed that given the space even Darragh can play football. The weight on the pass for Khadra's goal was as good as you'll see so kudos for that big man! 

BBD continues to the defy the odds with his goal scoring exploits. Remarkably he still runs down a blind alley at times but I think I can cut him some slack on that...any watching scouts will surely say this kid is very good, but he can go on and just get better, and better and better.

All in all a great afternoon and with it looking ever more likely it will be the last game we all see in the flesh for a while I'm certainly glad I went on. 

We simply have to try and keep this side together in Janusry. We don't need anyone, or anything, else. Bust a gut on short term deals for the out of contract players and I think we have a real, real chance.

As the great Andy Scott once said: "IT'S HAPPENNIIINNNNGGGG"

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Unfortunately it’s not that simple. Give those four ‘what they want’ and we’ll have every player coming back cap in hand for a pay rise…plus, keeping them happy doesn’t guarantee promotion:..it’s def a tricky situation.

Well here's something simple, sell those 4 in January and our promotion push will be halted in its tracks and the best group of players we've had in a decade will be dismantled.

We'll be back where we started with lower crowds. Is that what you want?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Possibly. Reading between the lines I’m guessing he isn’t jabbed. Happy to be corrected though, because you are absolutely right, they are the ones who deserve scorn!

Dolan hasn't has any injections. Potentially two others might not have played yesterday as they also mixed with the player who tested positive. Because the have been vaccinated they could play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I do agree and hope a solution can be found. What a pity it would be to see a great opportunity bypass us.

9 hours ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Our wage to turnover rate is 200%. Sadly, something has to give. Breaking our wage structure for several players is a massive risk. Let’s hope we can keep the run going and the players choose to stick around on terms we can afford.

There is also a huge risk in losing our players in January, more of a risk than this 'wage structure' being broke in my view. Until it emerged recently that three players haven't accepted the club's offer I hadn't heard the words 'wage structure' relating to Rovers for many years. Now it's being banded about to pass the buck on to the players in my opinion and make them appear mercenary.

With Waggott and these owners who knows what will happen but the reality is this could derail a real chance of promotion and in all honesty would fit in with the crazy decision making over the last decade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Well here's something simple, sell those 4 in January and our promotion push will be halted in its tracks and the best group of players we've had in a decade will be dismantled.

We'll be back where we started with lower crowds. Is that what you want?

That’s needlessly provocative.

Its reasonable to point out that breaking the wage structure for a number of players will render said structure completely redundant. That’s fine if we secure promotion but it’s a gamble which could lock us into an even more precarious financial position if we fail.

Whichever way you look at it, it’s a very difficult situation and demanding that the club simply give the players whatever they want overlooks the potentially significant consequences.

Edited by magicalmortensleftpeg
  • Like 3

I think we need to hope this damn pandemic doesn't make prem clubs think they need to pad their squads out a bit to compensate for first teamers being unavailable due to positive tests etc. As invaluable as our top players are to us, I think that's all they'd be to them - squad players. Apart from teams struggling at the foot of the table, and would they rather be involved in a promotion push or a relegation scrap? I know which I'd pick. They only need to look at Adam Armstrong to realise life after Rovers ain't always all that, in fact it very rarely does lead to better things historically.

We need to gamble any potential quick buck in Jan for the millions of the prem. This isn't a mercerman banker, this is an actual gamble with a chance of winning!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I always refer comments like this back to "What would John Williams have done"?

He first of all wouldn't have allowed the situation to get to this point, but now he'd be moving heaven and earth to get these players signed up, knowing not only would the promotion push go down the pan if they don't, but to replace them would cost more than to sell them.

This contract debacle has been just one of the many blind spots for these owners throughout their time here, we've been dogged by unrest and lack of action or communication from the owners on contracts, Lambert left partly because of this, Berg took them to the high court. Whether its the playing side or backroom staff they don't agree with contracts and you can't run a football club like that.

We have billionaire owners, sign the cheques and give Mowbray the best chance in a decade to get this club back into the Premiership, thats what Jack would have done.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 9

11 hours ago, Elvis Biro said:

If you want to come down to earth, have a read of Mowbray's interview on the BBC website. Defeatist, depressing shite.

Should of tried to listen to it. I got to my car all upbeat and bouyant and had to listen to the most depressing soul sapping post match I’ve ever heard. However if that’s all I’ve got to moan about the manager for then i all can’t be bad 😁

• Like 1

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

Should of tried to listen to it. I got to my car all upbeat and bouyant and had to listen to the most depressing soul sapping post match I’ve ever heard. However if that’s all I’ve got to moan about the manager for then i all can’t be bad 😁

It’s the same every week.  From his tone and demeanour It’s hard to tell wether we’ve won 4-0 or lost 4-0 !

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 47er said:

This is a worry, always has to be one I'm afraid!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59713763

How and why does Mowbray bring doom back?

The please come and buy my star player mantra is just like last season with Armstrong?

Why cant he keep his mouth shut and let us enjoy the moment. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Gav said:

He first of all wouldn't have allowed the situation to get to this point, but now he'd be moving heaven and earth to get these players signed up, knowing not only would the promotion push go down the pan if they don't, but to replace them would cost more than to sell them.

This contract debacle has been just one of the many blind spots for these owners throughout their time here, we've been dogged by unrest and lack of action or communication from the owners on contracts, Lambert left partly because of this, Berg took them to the high court. Whether its the playing side or backroom staff they don't agree with contracts and you can't run a football club like that.

We have billionaire owners, sign the cheques and give Mowbray the best chance in a decade to get this club back into the Premiership, thats what Jack would have done.

Remember Lucas Neill? Even the great John Williams could not stop player power when they want to run their contract down.

28 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Perhaps the best way to convince these players to commit is promotion?

Massive promotion bonus and premiership wages if we go up would be ideal to dangle in front of the players. Then its a question of if they believe in themselves or the squad.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Gav said:

Even Williams couldn’t do anything more if the players refuse to sign deals out in front of them 

• Like 1