BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Middlesbrough (h) - 24/1/22

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Gallagher is not a winger but im not too sure hes any more effective centrally, if anything many of his weaknesses including inability to hold the ball up and poor touch are exposed further.

I might be wrong statistically but it feels like his goals return doesnt really change/worsen out wide either.

He’s gone backwards in the time he’s been at Rovers. Not every player improves with time and experience. Last night he was jaw droppingly bad in my opinion and I’ve seen some poor centre forwards at Rovers over the years.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

53 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Kaminski

Nyambe
Lenihan
Van Hecke
Wharton
Edun

Davenport
Buckley
Rothwell

Markanday
Gallagher

Holding midfielder is a problem isn't it...?  Could do with an imposing passer who can dictate the tempo and allow JR and JB to roam....someone who can play quality short and diags 🤔

56 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Holding midfielder is a problem isn't it...?  Could do with an imposing passer who can dictate the tempo and allow JR and JB to roam....someone who can play quality short and diags 🤔

Working off the assumption that Trav is unavailable. And choosing Davenport over Johnson.

I fear the worst for this one unfortunately. 

Wilder was sat there on Wednesday night and will have a clear and defined gameplan already mapped out. The only potential spanner in the works for him is the absence of Diaz meaning its set up for the tombola to get dusted off adding a bit of uncertainty.

I don't want to be too critical of Mowbray at a time we're 3rd in the league, but I wouldn't fancy him in a toe to toe with Wilder over tactics.

Hope I'm way off though and the lads come out heads held high and turn things round ala Sheff utd game following the Fulham defeat.

We do have an uncanny habit of plucking results out when we're least expected to at times.

• Like 1

The problem area is the left back area - Huddersfield, Wigan and Hull ALL exploited Edun and his lack of defensive nouse.

Rovers have a conundrum on the centre forward spot- Gally is the only option as bad as he has been, he may fare better in the middle with two fast pacemen on the flanks.

Whatever team is sent out, its going to be a difficult game. Boro wont hold back so Rovers have to be up for it big time.

Would be happy with a draw - 1-1

• Like 1

3-5-BLOODY-2!

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water and start changing formation akin to vs. Hull. The lack of any robustness around Rothwell and Buckley was suicide IMO. Don't know if anyone else picked up on the fact that Buckley seemed to be so high up the pitch on Weds and seemed to realise he was playing 8 and not 10 and dropped himself back?! We have pressed very well from the front recently and it will be important to do the same with having an anchor in midfield to protect the back 3. We should have straight-swapped Travis for Davenport / Johnson but fortunately the Invisible Man should be back.

Kaminski

Lenihan   Van Hecke   Wharton

Nyambe             Travis    Rothwell              Edun
Buckley

Khadra                      Gallagher

The ONLY reason I would pick Gallagher is basically because we have nobody else. Since his return from his injury lay-off he has been plop and was absolutely awful vs. both Cardiff and Hull. We shouldn't do anything other then stick to the system we have done so well with. Don't expect Gallgher to hold the ball up and battering ram his way through as he can't do it. He simply doesn't have it in his locker. What he can do is run and harry defenders and he needs to emulate BBD in that regard on Monday

I think we will do OK here with both Nyambe and Travis back but I'd take a point if you offered it to me now.

Rovers 1 - 1 'Boro

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigUts said:

3-5-BLOODY-2!

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water and start changing formation akin to vs. Hull. The lack of any robustness around Rothwell and Buckley was suicide IMO. Don't know if anyone else picked up on the fact that Buckley seemed to be so high up the pitch on Weds and seemed to realise he was playing 8 and not 10 and dropped himself back?! We have pressed very well from the front recently and it will be important to do the same with having an anchor in midfield to protect the back 3. We should have straight-swapped Travis for Davenport / Johnson but fortunately the Invisible Man should be back.

Kaminski

Lenihan   Van Hecke   Wharton

Nyambe             Travis    Rothwell              Edun
Buckley

Khadra                      Gallagher

The ONLY reason I would pick Gallagher is basically because we have nobody else. Since his return from his injury lay-off he has been plop and was absolutely awful vs. both Cardiff and Hull. We shouldn't do anything other then stick to the system we have done so well with. Don't expect Gallgher to hold the ball up and battering ram his way through as he can't do it. He simply doesn't have it in his locker. What he can do is run and harry defenders and he needs to emulate BBD in that regard on Monday

I think we will do OK here with both Nyambe and Travis back but I'd take a point if you offered it to me now.

Rovers 1 - 1 'Boro

This exactly. Though we laboured against Cardiff we still won. There are a lot of people sounding very twitchy and coming up with all kinds of possible changes. 

The tried and tested has seen us into this position. It's as we were with Nyambe and Travis back in with Gallagher in for Brereton. Anything else would be madness. If Mowbray continues to tinker it will be his worst failure since being here regardless of whether we eventually make the playoffs. All he has to do between now and the end of the season is not mess with anything. He may have already cost us promotion with the ludicrous decision to change the system against Hull.

I'll be nervously awaiting the line up as I'm not sure I have faith in him not to continue fiddling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

The problem area is the left back area - Huddersfield, Wigan and Hull ALL exploited Edun and his lack of defensive nouse.

Was about to point out the same thing. In retrospect it might look like Pickering (and Nyambe) where more than essential to our good form. I think Pickering has looked solid++ in most games and obviously good at closing down his side. Really looking forward to having Pickering back!

I see that Elliott will be introduced to the crowd before the game. Undoubtedly a talented player who contributed a lot in his loan spell but ultimately it was a forgettable season finishing in 15th and behind closed doors. Is getting him out a bit much? Not sure, he never created a bond with the fans as we wasnt there so seems a bit of an empty gesture.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I see that Elliott will be introduced to the crowd before the game. Undoubtedly a talented player who contributed a lot in his loan spell but ultimately it was a forgettable season finishing in 15th and behind closed doors. Is getting him out a bit much? Not sure, he never created a bond with the fans as we wasnt there so seems a bit of an empty gesture.

If he brings his boots, then fine, otherwise it does feel a little OTT.

Great to see how much he loved his time here though.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

It's a tricky fixture and it feels uncertainty is creeping back into the team and the minds of the fans.Such a shame also this is a Monday night game on the telly...this will affect the attendance.

1-1

Then its a case of the fans getting right behind the team from the off. We are well supported away from Ewood, time to bring that home - be loud be proud and be blue and white.

13 hours ago, Ossydave said:

I fear the worst for this one unfortunately. 

Wilder was sat there on Wednesday night and will have a clear and defined gameplan already mapped out. The only potential spanner in the works for him is the absence of Diaz meaning its set up for the tombola to get dusted off adding a bit of uncertainty.

I don't want to be too critical of Mowbray at a time we're 3rd in the league, but I wouldn't fancy him in a toe to toe with Wilder over tactics.

Hope I'm way off though and the lads come out heads held high and turn things round ala Sheff utd game following the Fulham defeat.

We do have an uncanny habit of plucking results out when we're least expected to at times.

I would say the sky pundits nailed it on Wednesday. We need to drop a forward into midfield and play 352 rather than 343. Wilder will copy Hull for sure.

So team for me

Kaminski

Lenihan.      Ayala.     Wharton

Nyambe.    Buckley. Travis  Rothwell.  Edun

Gallagher.   Khadra

We can transition to a 343 later if sensible.

• Like 2

• J*B pinned this topic