BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Deadline Day 2022

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yes - his stock will have gone seriously up after this season barring a catastrophic fall out of the playoffs.

Dont think he will be short of offers.

Why would we want to keep him if we don't go up?

It's quite a fine line really, either he takes us up and leaves a hero with his head held high or hopefully only gets a short term rolling deal.

If he doesn't his legacy will be that he burnt through about £120m of the owners money with absolutely no return and left us with hardly any players as more than half the first eleven walked away on a free at the end of this season or next due to the negligence of him and Waggott.

• Like 2

Look at everything through the lens that Mowbray has lost his link to Mrs Desai by not going to India.

That explains everything- the cuts, lack of new contracts, minimal spending, focus on loans, uncertainty on his own future.

The only way of getting anywhere with this lot is by getting on a plane to Pune and talking them round. Can't do that then it is very difficult.

I keep on banging this drum and the more time that passes by I become more certain that this is the fundamental issue. It therefore matters not what position we are in or how urgent the need for players we are left with a buffoon in Waggott crunching the numbers unable to do very much. I expect the Giles wage contribution is covered by the savings on the 3 departures yesterday which is why it took so long to get done.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Also I wonder if the venkys think they've backed us this window. With the money we could have got for the 3 out of contracts that's conceivably £5m they've missed out on, so from their point of view they're going to have to put £5m in to plug the gap at some point maybe their version of backing the squad is keeping it together?

They did back us - money that was made available wasn't spent.

No point whinging about it now, what's done is done and as Souness said "We'll have to wee with the willy we've got" and of course we'll all "get behind the lads FFS" but realistically despite the attempts of several posters to put a brave face on it I feel the chance of automatic promotion has gone unless we can find a couple of absolute gems in the free agent market.

• Like 6

Yes - his stock will have gone seriously up after this season barring a catastrophic fall out of the playoffs.

Dont think he will be short of offers.

He may go because other clubs want him but he may go because the owners don't want him.

Obviously they are/were at odds about Rothwell. Mowbray said a week or 2 ago that the owners were adamant Rothwell would not be allowed to go this January and they weren't interested in the money.

However he then went public on the benefit of selling him and buying players who would bolster the squad.

I don't see the owners as a forgiving lot, on the contrary they are almost feudal in their demand for loyalty.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Look at everything through the lens that Mowbray has lost his link to Mrs Desai by not going to India.

That explains everything- the cuts, lack of new contracts, minimal spending, focus on loans, uncertainty on his own future.

The only way of getting anywhere with this lot is by getting on a plane to Pune and talking them round. Can't do that then it is very difficult.

I keep on banging this drum and the more time that passes by I become more certain that this is the fundamental issue. It therefore matters not what position we are in or how urgent the need for players we are left with a buffoon in Waggott crunching the numbers unable to do very much. I expect the Giles wage contribution is covered by the savings on the 3 departures yesterday which is why it took so long to get done.

It doesn’t explain everything.

Take your lens and look at FFP, speak to people who understand turnover and the damage the covid pandemic has caused.

Even the most expensive assembled side in this division almost lost their best young player (carvalho) for peanuts yesterday and will likely lose him for nothing should they fail to be promoted.

1 minute ago, JBiz said:

It doesn’t explain everything.

Take your lens and look at FFP, speak to people who understand turnover and the damage the covid pandemic has caused.

Even the most expensive assembled side in this division almost lost their best young player (carvalho) for peanuts yesterday and will likely lose him for nothing should they fail to be promoted.

There's clearly been a breakdown in communication JBiz between Ewood and India.

As others have said this is amateurish and needs sorting out. 

Shouldn't happen given they have their rep in situ, but they're welcome to borrow my phone and click the FACETIME APP!

• Like 2

All the noises before the window was that we couldn’t throw big money around and we were never going to compete with Bournemouth’s spending. 

Overall, fairly satisfied. Keeping hold of all our key players was the main target this window and there were plenty on here that assumed Venky’s would flog the lot at the first sign of a big cheque.

Centre mid still feels a bit light but when the injured players come back, we have reasonable depth across the squad.

Play offs still need to be the goal. Top 2 would be a huge bonus. Looking around the Championship, other than Bournemouth I wouldn’t say that many clubs had a better window than us. 

• Like 3

He signed two attackers (Markanday, Hedges) an attacking wing back (Zeefuik) and a versatile left back midfielder (Giles)....?

Could have done with another striker given Markanday's injury, but we haven't signed defensive players.

I mean, Brown, Giles and Zeefuik are the three I meant, but you are correct we also got Hedges and Markanday who are attacking options. Let see what kind of an impact these two will have upon our season. We already know the impact Markanday will unfortunately have but lets wait and see about Hedges

Edited by skous18

Decent window on the whole, we certainly seem stronger now as a group, but not strong enough to go up automatically I don't think, but time will tell. As some of us have been saying for a while now, its hard to compete with the ex-premiership clubs and yesterday proved that perfectly. Bournemouth have outspent everyone in the pursuit of Premiership football and I think they'll now claim 2nd place down the home straight. 

Rothwell needs to have a word with himself, he's certainly not helped Mowbray who plucked him from obscurity and we have evidence once again that the owners are meddling in first team affairs. You pay a manager to manage, let him do his job you morons.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Very good 👊🏼

5D9EDD26-31C7-4148-8842-DE00BD096395.png

We've got 17 games left.

Two of those won't play this season.
Two of those have scored barely any goals but can assist them.
One of those has scored 30 goals over his ten year career.

Bit of a gamble to rely on Brereton being as consistent and prolific as the first half of the season.

Also a gamble to not get midfield cover with Edun being out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gav said:

I think they'll now claim 2nd place down the home straight. 

I'm holding out hope that the new signings take a few weeks to bed in and they lose a bit of ground. Or that Parker is shit and gets it wrong somehow

• Like 2

Are we stronger now than we were on 1st January? I think we probably are. We didn’t lose any of the three amigos and we’ve added some good attacking options. Injuries are the biggest worry to us now (and probably have been all season due to our small squad)

• Like 5

I think we’ve had a decent window but would have liked another attacker. Shame we missed out on Dembele. 

Not losing any players is a bonus. Losing Markanday so early is a big loss, you can tell he was the one we wanted and we got him early like everyone wants. People keep forgetting him. Unfortunately in life accidents happen and we couldn’t have foreseen a hamstring injury so early on - although I’m sure some of you will have something to blame Mowbray for there 

Giles could be a good addition. Khadra has a good delivery and it’s brought us some goals this season so if Giles can contribute with his left it is two good set piece takers. When we are so resolute at the back being able to capitalise on corners / free kicks are huge. 

We need to stay fit now. 4 big games coming up in Baggies, Sheff Utd, QPR and Fulham. After that we have, on paper, an easier run in with only Bournemouth the worry. I believe. 

So what's happened to our 35m training ground and AA sales? Poor window for me as central midfield is weak, especially if Travis gets injured/suspended.

Now we wait and see, I hope we can maintain our form and sneak a cheeky promotion, but I'm skeptical.

• Like 2

We are stronger now than we were in August, when I dare say the majority of us thought we would be relegated/in a battle this season. Financially for us it hasn't helped that our highest earner and probably best players hasn't kicked a ball for us for a year.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Mixed feelings for me over this window.

I think if we forget what Bournemouth have done for a moment, whilst we could always have signed more players, we’ve kept everyone (just) and got more cover than we had on January 1.

With that being said, we have to hope and pray for the minimal amount of injuries, suspensions and that Dack comes back firing ASAP really.

I think that Bournemouth’s activity shows they are bricking it about not going up tbh. Parker isn’t all that good of a manager and he needs to massage a lot of egos and keep a lot of players happy. Remember there is only room for 11 players at a time! 
It’s far from over.

• Like 6