BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

9 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Is he any better than our own player in Carter? He’s also had rave reviews from Portsmouth. 

Agree Carter will be very important this season, but with Lenihan going and possibly Ayala, only leaves us with Wharton and Carter ( not sure Philips ready yet). So certainly need possibly 2 more centre backs 

Its a daunting challenge for any manager. We go into the new season without Van Hecke, Lenihan, we'll probably lose Big Ben and Nyambe. Ayala?( Rarely fit anyway.)

That's 4 of our very best players. We need 2 CB's, at least one central striker, 2 full-backs and additional cover in midfield. Ideally decent cover between the sticks as well.

That would be a difficult job for a club whose owners were interested, never mind us.

We're feeling optimistic because of what positivity the new management team are giving off but, in truth, they are only as good as their players.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Surely if we're going into the season with Carter higher than 4th choice we're in for a long old season. Two CBs are essential. 

Bit harsh on Carter I feel. Pompey fans loved him down there and are desperate to have him back. If he comes back from a loan spell like Wharton did then it can only be a good thing. If Ayala does go though leaves us a bit short of experience at the back

1 minute ago, Tugayisgod said:

Bit harsh on Carter I feel. Pompey fans loved him down there and are desperate to have him back. If he comes back from a loan spell like Wharton did then it can only be a good thing. If Ayala does go though leaves us a bit short of experience at the back

Agreed. He’s had a successful loan spell in the league above the team that Wharton went to. They are keen to keep him. He’s now had two good loan spells in league one and will want to push on to hold down a championship place. Best position is the right side of a back three according to Portsmouth fans (my office is in Petersfield so I know a few fans from down there) 

39 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Ryan Giles supposedly off to Boro on loan (is there anyone they’re not getting?).

Just didn’t happen for him here, but Mowbray had a big part to play in that.

Mowbray did nothing short of abusing him

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

I guess the point is until he establishes himself for Rovers we shouldn't rely on him. 

Carter fourth choice initially sounds about right to me but if he quickly proves himself, then he can move up the order.

I think we should also exclude Ayala from the defensive calculations, he just isn't fit enough. He should be regarded as a bonus (if we can't find a buyer) So for me it should be :

1 Wharton

2 New Signing 

3 New Singing

4 Carter

5 Phillips 

There's a decent upside there as I think both Carter and Phillips could make an impact this season, but we wouldn't be reliant on them.

I do wonder however if Venkys rumoured requirement that we don't pay a fee for defenders will remain in place?

• Like 3

Pompey fans loved Carter. They think he's a class act. Not only in his defending, but his composure. If he were available he'd be top of their list.

Ronan Curtis. Never been a fan. Often plays wide left and he's got a bit of the Armstrongs about him, in that he shoots on sight. Not a team player at all, which is why he's been hitting double digits in League 1 for years, yet nobody has taken a punt on him. Additionally his attitude on the pitch often looks like it stinks. 

54 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Ryan Giles supposedly off to Boro on loan (is there anyone they’re not getting?).

I know he was played out of position but putting that to one side I wasn’t impressed. He looked very ordinary to me. Even out of position you can tell a good footballer. I remember midfielder Eamon Rogers being played as an emergency right back and looking like he’d played there all his life. Maybe Giles realised he’d dropped a bollock coming to Rovers and just gave up. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I know he was played out of position but putting that to one side I wasn’t impressed. He looked very ordinary to me. Even out of position you can tell a good footballer. I remember midfielder Eamon Rogers being played as an emergency right back and looking like he’d played there all his life. Maybe Giles realised he’d dropped a bollock coming to Rovers and just gave up. 

Think back to his first game.. was pinging in crosses for fun but we had no one in the middle.. that was his natural position.. he looked brilliant 

Then he was played out of position and practically Mowbraydd 🙄 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Think he could have been a decent player for us but Mowbray obviously shunted him around a bit and he joined us going into one of the long death spirals.

So up against it from the off.

3 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

I think Curtis from Portsmouth will be one of our first signings,

Talking to some on the Portsmouth side, they say he goes missing alot and has become a bit of a luxury.

Personally always thought he'd be decent pick up

Surely we need to be looking at a different pool than the same names dredged up every year.  Be very uninspiring if he was the first through the door with our new 'European' regime.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Surely we need to be looking at a different pool than the same names dredged up every year.  Be very uninspiring if he was the first through the door with our new 'European' regime.

There must have been lots of teams who’ve had a look at him over the last few years. Yet nobody has made a move.

• Like 1