BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

One big problem addressed, in my opinion at least 5 more needed before we can consider ourselves as strong or stronger than last season.

We will see whether he is an upgrade on Nyambe in time to come. I am pleased we have got some business done at last, pleased there is at least some willingness to invest and pleased that we are actually addressing things with proper contracts.

I am baffled. Baffled that we are willing and able to pay a reported 7 figure transfer fee on this lad and hand him a 4 year deal yet not willing or able to retain Lenihan or Nyambe, the cost of both peanuts in comparison to this outlay.

My interpretation is that a combination of Covid, Venkys going silent for a couple of years and a vacuum at the top of the club with Mowbray's power gone meant nobody was in a position to sort those contracts out, and by the time we were it was just too late - those players had had interest from elsewhere, bridges were burned and heads were turned.

I am hoping that things are different now, but this is only a small start. Much more is needed and quite quickly, although the most pressing area has been dealt with.

I think the most impressive element of the deal is the professionalism of it. To have an actual Director of Football talking about the background to the deal, the logic behind it and even thanking Barnsley for their part in it just suggests to me a lot more of a professional structure in place. Don't need to hear from JDT on this - Broughton can handle it

Or it could be that the players out, did not fit JDT's plans.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Tell you who I’d love next…Josh Bowler…Make it happen Rovers. 

You would have to ask Chaddy if he told Waggot to go get him too.  Funny Chaddy meets with Swag and two days later we sign a player Chaddy has been championing for some time now.  Coincidence?

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Nowhere near as “eye-gougingly” cringy as seeing signings written off as “relegation men”… especially about 10 posts after a full forum warning about baiting.

C'mn its just a way of niggling him. Bit childish imo. You seriously saying he's not a Rovers supporter?

I think with the Nyambe thing we can now conclude there wasn't enough desire on either side to get it done.

Both sides at fault and letting it get to a that stage to lose him for nothing is criminal.  Once it's over though it's over the mutual love was dead and he'd definitely stagnated here over the last couple of seasons

Balls to him i hope he enjoys a bog standard Pie Crust season.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

We will see whether he is an upgrade on Nyambe in time to come. I am pleased we have got some business done at last, pleased there is at least some willingness to invest and pleased that we are actually addressing things with proper contracts.

My interpretation is that a combination of Covid, Venkys going silent for a couple of years and a vacuum at the top of the club with Mowbray's power gone meant nobody was in a position to sort those contracts out, and by the time we were it was just too late - those players had had interest from elsewhere, bridges were burned and heads were turned.

I think the most impressive element of the deal is the professionalism of it. To have an actual Director of Football talking about the background to the deal, the logic behind it and even thanking Barnsley for their part in it just suggests to me a lot more of a professional structure in place. Don't need to hear from JDT on this - Broughton can handle it

Agree with all this, hopefully with Broughton we will be a bit more pro active with current players contracts outside of brereton as I assume he’ll fall into the 3 mentioned bracket! 

Interesting that brittain said in his video he’d been stressing about the move getting done for a few weeks and the first any of us heard about it was yesterday! Hopefully means a few more a lot closer then we know.

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

The blanks also seem to be in problem areas for us. I.e there’s a blank in attack, centre midfield etc. 

There was no blank at CB though, after Brittain filled the only defensive one.

21 minutes ago, USABlue said:

You would have to ask Chaddy if he told Waggot to go get him too.  Funny Chaddy meets with Swag and two days later we sign a player Chaddy has been championing for some time now.  Coincidence?

Has anyone ever seen Chaddy and Waggo in the same place at the same time?

Also, can't recall who mentioned (a few days back) that we were definitely signing 5 players... sneak preview of the sticker album perhaps? 🤣

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I think with the Nyambe thing we can now conclude there wasn't enough desire on either side to get it done.

Both sides at fault and letting it get to a that stage to lose him for nothing is criminal.  Once it's over though it's over the mutual love was dead and he'd definitely stagnated here over the last couple of seasons

Balls to him i hope he enjoys a bog standard Pie Crust season.

Even now, I'm not so sure. It's obviously galling in a way, but the fact that he can't attract anything better than Wigan even when he's on a free suggests that he's a long way away from being a decent sellable asset.

His strengths vs weaknesses have been done to death on here, but say we upped our offer to a decent level and he signed a new long term deal - that means we could be entering the territory of paying first XI wages to a player who isn't quite at the level we want to progress.

On balance I wish we convinced him to sign on but there's risk involved in keeping him on too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve seen Brittain play but reading their site he seems Nyambesque without the robust physique.

Since first match in 1970 we have had plenty of good right backs who have never had the physicality of Nyambe but all we’re better imo, Heaton, Branagan and Price are all examples 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roverandout said:

Reading the Barnsley forum. He had a great first season but was poor last season.  He doesn't have the confidence to take the fullback on but gives his all

He’s absolutely gone at us hammer and Tonge, every time I’ve seen him play. Hopefully we get that version!

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Reading the Barnsley forum. He had a great first season but was poor last season.  He doesn't have the confidence to take the fullback on but gives his all

Don’t think any of their better players played well last season by all accounts, mainly down to management.

12 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Even now, I'm not so sure. It's obviously galling in a way, but the fact that he can't attract anything better than Wigan even when he's on a free suggests that he's a long way away from being a decent sellable asset.

His strengths vs weaknesses have been done to death on here, but say we upped our offer to a decent level and he signed a new long term deal - that means we could be entering the territory of paying first XI wages to a player who isn't quite at the level we want to progress.

On balance I wish we convinced him to sign on but there's risk involved in keeping him on too.

The Wigan move is odd but i suspect hes been offered good money for compared to here and as i said early i think he'll turn into a bit of a mercenary now.

For all we know someone else has said they want him but need to free up room first so he's been happy to take a short term deal elsewhere. These things happen in football the guy we've got now has obviously been on our radar a while but its only happened once Ryan has gone.

I think if he was on contract here but the club and himself made it known he wanted to move we could have at least got in enough to cover the Brittain deal.  That's how it's supposed to work if you want to go all Brentford.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, USABlue said:

The player has said this deal has been going on for weeks, so yep, coincidence!

5 minutes ago, Russ said:
  • "Only three defenders in England’s top two tiers completed more successful dribbles than Rovers’ new boy Callum last season."

Can't be THAT bad at taking on players...

I think it was a confidence thing in his second season 

14 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Since first match in 1970 we have had plenty of good right backs who have never had the physicality of Nyambe but all we’re better imo, Heaton, Branagan and Price are all examples 

I loved Price.

Did we sign him twice?

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Seemed to be 5 or 6 blanks in the stickerbook?  A co-incidence or a hint of things to come?

Lets hope for the latter!

Was BBD in the sticker book when flicking , I didn’t see. Little clues and all that