BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

3 minutes ago, J*B said:

I take the point if the belief is we can manage until then. I’m not sure I entirely agree - ie let’s say Buckley gets a red card on Saturday, or Travis does his hammy… who are we bringing on and playing for the following game? Obviously the ideal is you try to sign everyone before the first game, which is what every other club in the league seem to be doing… I guess my worry is I don’t think we have enough to even manage until the end of the window. But we will see. Rambling idiot, signing out for the day. 

Garret and Wharton.

3 minutes ago, Don Said said:

I agree in the sense that our starting 11 is okay & we are unlikely to get loads of injuries in the first month or so.

But whilst a budget is in place, people expect a more proactive approach, and to only sign one player (permanent or loan) a few days before the season starts, after losing the number we have, doesn’t sit too well.

It’s undoubtedly of massive benefit to get key business done early. Got to consider players getting used to the club, the players and staff, tactics, playing their role etc.

People will point out its tough to get business done. But other clubs have been much smarter than us. Boro have added at least 3 or 4 starting players early on and have given them good pre season minutes. They will probably improve their squad further later on as Prem loans become available, whilst other clubs are scrambling for key starters.

There isn’t any real excuse for us to be less on the ball than them.

That's the benefit of being proactive and getting rid of the manager early, giving half a season to review the squad and decide what is required.

Our issue is down to how long it took to put the new system in place.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Don Said said:

I agree in the sense that our starting 11 is okay & we are unlikely to get loads of injuries in the first month or so.

But whilst a budget is in place, people expect a more proactive approach, and to only sign one player (permanent or loan) a few days before the season starts, after losing the number we have, doesn’t sit too well.

It’s undoubtedly of massive benefit to get key business done early. Got to consider players getting used to the club, the players and staff, tactics, playing their role etc.

People will point out its tough to get business done. But other clubs have been much smarter than us. Boro have added at least 3 or 4 starting players early on and have given them good pre season minutes. They will probably improve their squad further later on as Prem loans become available, whilst other clubs are scrambling for key starters.

There isn’t any real excuse for us to be less on the ball than them.

Boro have added 3.Goalkeeper, Lenihen and Giles.

But even they are struggling.Wilder said priority was to sort out the attack, brought in Balagoun and Connolly last January who have since gone back and even though both didn't do much at Boro Wilder said he wanted 3 attackers and so far none have been brought in.They also got £12 million for Spence.

• Moderation Lead
22 minutes ago, HedgesAdmirer said:

We can get through the first 15% of games with what we’ve got, nobody is suggesting we make all our signings on deadline day either 

As long as we have no injuries, they are still a thing….

3 minutes ago, phili said:

That's the benefit of being proactive and getting rid of the manager early, giving half a season to review the squad and decide what is required.

Our issue is down to how long it took to put the new system in place.

Yep. I did almost tag on to my post - it’ll be interesting to see how January & next summers windows go.

Will our new system make for slicker output, or will we continue to be hamstrung by a multi layered international communication process.

There seems to be a lot of mental gymnastics going on to make it look like all is calm and in hand. "We're stronger than this time last summer". Do me a favour!

I personally think we're going to struggle massively in August with this squad. Just look at some of those fixtures. It's all well and good saying we can move this player here and there. It's wishful thinking, in my opinion, that they will click and get us through August.

People can dress it up however they want, we are going into the season short on quality and ill prepared.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HedgesAdmirer said:

Rothwell only needs replacing as a body, people talk about how unique and special of a player he is but is there much need for his type of player in a possession based side?

He was very inconsistent, but in game’s that needed a little spark, he could provide it. He didn’t a lot of the time, but started to quite consistently in the good run, before Bournemouth messed with his head. I’ll miss his bursts forward, he had great control. I guess if he was more consistent he’d have never left United. It’ll be interesting to see how he does next season. 

I’m getting slightly disillusioned at checking this thread every night, I’ve been working a nightshift this week and eagerly load up the forum, when I’ve woken up and got a brew,  but I’m still feeling positive overall. The manager has been a breathe of fresh air, I just hope we are doing all we can to give him the calibre of players he needs to carry out his vision.

It’s a shame we can’t match a lot of other clubs for money, as I believe a quick chat with Jonny DT would have them on board.  King Kenny and Souness style.

You know, his management could crash and burn, but right now, I’m optimistic.  

Edited by Dan

2 hours ago, HedgesAdmirer said:

There’s no need for ‘established champ players’ as squad options for RB LB and GK, they’re not really positions that you rotate, only get changed if a player is injured 

Players do get injured though? In an ideal world you want a decent backup for those positions. I agree though in terms of priority good backup for CB and CM is more important.

That we are one long term injury to Brittain, Kaminski or Pickering to literally having no experienced cover is a significant risk. 

I think the point is very simple and it is that we would have a better chance of getting points if a few more quality signings had been made before the opening fixture(s) and we might live to regret that come the end of the season. It's hard to understand why we aren't all united in disappointment on that front. We haven't really done anything in the transfer window so far to influence a good start to the season, I'd like to see anyone argue that (although there probably is someone!) 😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ghost7 said:

I think the point is very simple and it is that we would have a better chance of getting points if a few more quality signings had been made before the opening fixture(s) and we might live to regret that come the end of the season. It's hard to understand why we aren't all united in disappointment on that front. We haven't really done anything in the transfer window so far to influence a good start to the season, I'd like to see anyone argue that (although there probably is someone!) 😂

Without putting words in anyone's mouth - I think we probably all are to an extent. The disagreement comes with how urgent that it is to have players through the door before the first game vs being patient to get the right players, potentially at a lower cost.

I would've definitely hoped that we would've had at least one or two more in by now, but at least the biggest issue with our starting line up (right back) is the one that's been sorted. I'd like to think that it's only one or two games before we get more reinforcements in though, and it's definitely going to be a long old season if we don't get at least three or four more in. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

First team or first team squad ? I wouldn't wany any player to have a guaranteed place in first team.

First team squad…waggott told that to fend off premier league clubs

Edited by neophox
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, neophox said:

If Phillips sign a professional deal Rovers intendent to guarantee him a place in the first team.

Then I hope we don't sign him.

Absolutely ludicrous if we are offering anyone guaranteed places in the team, especially not a 17 year old.

52 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

People can dress it up however they want, we are going into the season short on quality and ill prepared.

Did we not think that last year?

I agree we will struggle over 46 games with this squad but I do think the new guys should be given until at least the end of the window before being criticised too heavily. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Then I hope we don't sign him.

Absolutely ludicrous if we are offering anyone guaranteed places in the team, especially not a 17 year old.

And Everton thought that didnt they? If he is good enough he can play. Football is littered with similar examples, Rooney, Beckham and the united 4, Phil Jones, Shearer, Kane, Sterling to name a few. So why not Philips?

3 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

Really hope we sign another soccer player soon, i've got a funny boner meme that i've been waiting to post... i'm getting impatient

https://media4.giphy.com/media/t3ukMnf9wc1zjppjxQ/200.gif