BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Millwall (h) - 8/3/22

4 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Bad finishing.Millwall second best all night.They came to defend evident by not having one shot at goal we had 4 clear chances.

Buckley, Costello, Gallagher and Lenihen should have all scored.

It was a draw due to bad finishing not because Millwall defended well.

You watched a different game to what I saw from the JW

Second best, yes, but Millwall's defence was composed and organised. They came for a draw and got it.

If I was a Millwall fan walking off the ground last night, I'd be more than content.

22 hours ago, JHRover said:

An opportunity to make up valuable points on teams around us. We need to win to keep Millwall at arms length after their good run. We also see Luton have a tough game at Coventry and Sheff Utd play Middlesbrough so points to be dropped there for the teams around us.

Also on Friday Huddersfield have a tricky game at West Brom.

Time and time again we get around the oppositions box then we haven't a clue what to do with the ball.By the time Diaz and dack are fit again it will be to late we will have slipped out the play off spots, after having a 10pt cushion in the play off spots a month or two ago.we need to drill it into one ore two players on the training ground, how to score a goal.

2 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Second best, yes, but Millwall's defence was composed and organised. They came for a draw and got it.

If I was a Millwall fan walking off the ground last night, I'd be more than content.

We had 4 clear cut chances.No matter where sat in the ground that was evident.

Professional footballers should be putting those chances away.Buckley from 6 yards.Gallagher just had to get his on target.Costello not hitting the target when only the keeper to beat.

I thought Millwall were rubbish last night apart from a couple of 5 minute spells and they saw the game out well when our heads dropped but we could and should have been 2 goals to the good at HT.

• Like 6

Angry today but shouldn't really be although it's nothing to do with false expectations given last night was widely predicted.

That isn't a point in the bag and move on it's most definitely 2 dropped and will hurt us. Just cannot see us getting much more than 0-0s and possibly the odd 1 nil in the near future. Again all this was expected given the lack of addressing what was needed in Jan when the glaring opportunity was there.

We got squad men who look and perform as such but -again predictably- they are either hawked around positions anywhere but their proper one. Or they very oddly have to learn to play football again and run around again and don't get a sniff, it's almost like those in charge never had any real plan for the signings.

Defenders didn't come when they should have and they were called for long and hard. Strikers haven't come when needed despite us only having one and him needing help way before he was injured.

A pivitol part in this is the curious case of Sam Gallagher who undoubtedly has affected the desire to bring another in. The manager has pinned his hopes on him getting goals whilst the player has never ever looked like he can. I've defended him but last night showed him for the defensive dolloper forward that he really is. Looks decent when team isn't playing that well because he runs around a lot.

When some football is being played and he should be finding space and producing something he is atrocious. I'm being 100% serious here saying Chris Brown had a better touch. 

All this will have a big say in this great once in a decade season going up in smoke.

Plus points - great effort from all the lads and yet another clean sheet - if you don't make it count though....

• Like 4

I watched Gallagher last night and he does run around a lot. He’s quick to get to the opposition player with the ball but at the point of impact slows down. The result is he never gets in a tackle and the player lays the ball off. Dolan is the exact opposite he runs to get the tackle in and therefore robs the ball from the defender. 
Gallaghers first touch is poor. His anticipation is also poor the result is always a split second late or rocking back on his heels. In all honesty I’m not sure what the answer is because it’s not effort it’s football intelligence that appears to be missing 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

When Rothwell goes, that will be on the owners who refused to consider allowing the manager to sell in January whilst he had value and bring in 2 players that he wanted.

Out of interest, does Mowbray get any credit for that excellent defensive record?

Also, does he get credit for getting us "on the cusp of something sensational" and indeed still being in the top 6 now?

I stood there in the freezing cold being bored to death like others did whilst you sat at home having to fork out for a takeaway after yet another misplaced bet so I could easily allow my frustration to lead to one sided comments but its important to have balance. Half of our game is excellent, half is in crisis at the moment. We are in a good position as things stand. 

We've certainly had one of our most interesting three month periods for years!

There is an argument that Mowbray 'stumbled' upon the present system following our thrashing at home by Fulham.  He'd previously tried 3 at the back on several occasions and to be honest, I think it was widely disliked by our fans as it didn't seem to work for us.  After Fulham, Mowbray had to stop the goals flying in and so we went with Lenihan, Hecke and, just back from injury, Wharton and they gave us a remarkably solid platform.

I think the big criticism in Mowbray is two fold.  Firstly, his inflexibility to change shape, personnel in the 'midfield 4', 'false 9' and front 2 and his continuing practice of playing players out of position (Gallagher and Giles last night to name but 2); IMO, Mowbray sadly thinks he's another 'Pep' whereas in reality he's more of a Coyle!  Secondly, he made an absolute hash of the transfer window.  I think he's quoted as saying he turned down opportunities on PL number 9's because we don't play that way; for crying out loud, all managers have to flex their teams and systems to meet circumstances - so he would have rejected Erling Haaland because 'we don't play that way' or, obviously more realistically, might even have rejected Davies from Villa (who went to Forest on loan and tore us to pieces) because again 'we don't play that way'.

As for Rothwell, we might never know what really happened.  After all, we are told the owners have so much trust in Mowbray they invariably follow his advice!

My "on the cusp of something sensational" comment was based on where we were when second and the great opportunity we had to secure that 2nd spot until the end of the season with 2 quality signings in the window.  A striker who would almost guarantee us 12 goals in the remainder of the season would, IMO, have seen us sailing into the PL with our new found defensive solidity.

To sum up, you are right in the sense we do need balance.  Fans generally didn't expect us to have got so close but having done so, I think Mowbray has badly mismanaged us in 2022. 

By the way, the takeaway was excellent as was the accompanying red wine.  Last night, I think I showed better judgement in my decision making than Mowbray did in his!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 3

A big shout out to the Rovers defence. Van Hecke, Lenihan, Wharton, Pickering absolute solid, game after game after game!

Imagine how they must feel when they do their jobs week in week out. 

In my opinion with Brereton out, senior players like Rothwell and Travis MUST start taking some responsibility! Did either one have a shot on goal despite all our possession?

Wont mention Gallagher, enoughs been said on him. He shouldnt start on Saturday.

I'm sick to death of everything associated with the Club at the moment if I'm being honest. It was obvious we needed to sign a decent striker in January in case of anything happening to BBD. Our glorious leader apparently chose not to do this and consequently we've seen one goal in TWELVE hours of football and have chucked away the best chance of promotion we'll ever have.

On top of that our £5m centre forward Gallagher continues to do everything humanly possible to avoid getting into areas from which it might be possible to score a goal and Hedges, blimey. We'd seemingly been chasing him for 2 transfer windows and on evidence to date you could find better down the Pub.

Still, on the bright side, at our current rate of progress we can look forward to 1/2 more goals before the end of the season. Wonder when they'll be?

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Boroblue said:

I watched Gallagher last night and he does run around a lot. He’s quick to get to the opposition player with the ball but at the point of impact slows down. The result is he never gets in a tackle and the player lays the ball off. Dolan is the exact opposite he runs to get the tackle in and therefore robs the ball from the defender. 
Gallaghers first touch is poor. His anticipation is also poor the result is always a split second late or rocking back on his heels. In all honesty I’m not sure what the answer is because it’s not effort it’s football intelligence that appears to be missing 

I actually have to question Gallagher's bravery too. Does he worry about getting clattered or something, as I have never seen him go in where it hurts?

13 minutes ago, tugayislegend said:

A big shout out to the Rovers defence. Van Hecke, Lenihan, Wharton, Pickering absolute solid, game after game after game!

Imagine how they must feel when they do their jobs week in week out. 

In my opinion with Brereton out, senior players like Rothwell and Travis MUST start taking some responsibility! Did either one have a shot on goal despite all our possession?

Wont mention Gallagher, enoughs been said on him. He shouldnt start on Saturday.

He shouldn't but we all know his name's already on the team sheet.

Watching the highlights.

For JRC's effort why wasn't Gallagher running in and taking a chance of poking that in? If you watch it he stops running. Then he stands there head in hands at JRC's miss.

If I was his manager I'd be saying why did you stop running you stupid bloody lump?! Earn your keep.

That was the first offence.

Second offence, missing a toe poke into the goal. And his reaction to that wasn't one of frustration, just "oh well."

Third offence, the motherf**cker knocks the ball away from their goal when he's right next to it. Which striker in any league has the instinct to knock it back across goal when the gaping net is an inch from them, with goalie nowhere near them?

That's what you get from spending £5m donkeys. You can't get rid, you have to play them, you have to re-sign them to save face and they waste valuable opportunies week after week.

What an awful and uncommitted player he is. I'm more angry now than watching the game.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

If the game was still playing now we still wouldnt have scored. Millwall missed a trick not showing some ambition because an away win was there for the taking in what was an abysmal quality football match. Still waiting for the rest of the attackers to start chipping in as predicted sadly.

We created some excellent chances to score and we failed to convert them. 

We never allowed the Millwall into the game as attacking force. Did Jed Wallace play yesterday? cos as he is regarding as one of the best players in the championship and we gave zero influence on the game. 

Also the game as pieces of quality in the game

1 hour ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Millwall was so organsied they allow us 4 very good games to score? 

If you was a Millwall Fan you be more than content with yesterday's performance seriously? offered zero attacking intent, poor performance by them. We made them look so poor 

11 hours ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

What a shame we didn't score.  We played some lovely stuff, stopped any Millwall threat and created some wonderful chances.  I know we had five forwards injured tonight, which is very bad luck, but surely a short term loan in January was a must.

I do like watching this team, but unless we get some kind a miracle, it won't be together next season.

Brereton, but who are the other four forwards?

We only have two (fit) at the club at the moment, as far as I'm aware.

Edited by booth

22 minutes ago, lraC said:

I actually have to question Gallagher's bravery too. Does he worry about getting clattered or something, as I have never seen him go in where it hurts?

Think that’s an injustice to him mate. He’s not a great footballer but he certainly puts his body on the line. 2 punctured lungs and put the QPR keeper out for the season last game out!

1 minute ago, booth said:

Brereton, but who are the other four forwards?

We only have two (fit) at the club at the moment, as far as I'm aware.

Dack, Poveda, Khadra, Markanday

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We created some excellent chances to score and we failed to convert them. 

We never allowed the Millwall into the game as attacking force. Did Jed Wallace play yesterday? cos as he is regarding as one of the best players in the championship and we gave zero influence on the game. 

Also the game as pieces of quality in the game

Millwall was so organsied they allow us 4 very good games to score? 

If you was a Millwall Fan you be more than content with yesterday's performance seriously? offered zero attacking intent, poor performance by them. We made them look so poor 

Well they got a point away from home.  I watched the game too and rovers rarely created anything decent 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boroblue said:

He's an irritating player. He has all the physical attributes, strong, quick and has decent techincal ability. He's just on a different wave length to players like Buckley and Rothwell. Lacking a footballing brain I would say.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, booth said:

Any need for the behave pal?

You can call a dog a cat if you want. It doesn't make it so.

Wouldn’t read too much into it, wasn’t meant to sound arsey.

2 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I thought it was one of the the most one sided game I've ever seen us play. We were totally dominant and created thee or four stone cold chances. Millwall offered nothing, our defence was (again) outstanding). If we'd got a goal it would have been a near perfect game for us.

However as has been the issue since the turn of the year we just can't finish. 

There's no real route out of that I can see until Diaz is back, and maybe Dack - though it's a lot to ask a guy coming back from two ACLs to come in and score regularly.

Lack of goals is a major major major problem, and looks like it will cost us a playoff place. 

9 hours ago, yankfan said:

While I’ll concede it’s maddening to see our 5 million pound 6’4” center forward play wide, it’s less troubling than seeing his inability to control a ball, win a header or make any movement into a dangerous position in anticipation of a ball played in and then get handed a contract extension 

I always like to think of forwards in terms of "how can they hurt the opposition". Gallagher is taller, stronger, quicker than the average centreback which gives you hope. But he rarely dominates a defender, and loses the ball cheaply very often, and has virtually no link up play, and he very rarely gets in goal scoring positions.

• Like 1