BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Millwall (h) - 8/3/22

18 minutes ago, tugayislegend said:

I think we should try and get Danny Graham in to coach Sam Gallagher in how to play like he used to. 

Dont know what TM and his coaching staff do with him in training.

iv`e been a defender of gallagher and been critical of mowbrays strange use of him,but last night he was shocking and it`s kind of changed my opinion,he`s not good enough,can`t hold the ball up, and he does`nt at all play his size,no matter how much coaching you give him,he is`nt going to get any better at his age,maybe a new manager next season will suss him out and move him on

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tugayislegend said:

I think we should try and get Danny Graham in to coach Sam Gallagher in how to play like he used to. 

The 2 are totally different players, I think there has always been an assumption amongst much of the fanbase that the plan was to replace Graham directly but they are chalk and cheese. Graham loved linking and playing with his back to goal, and was also instinctive in front of goal, Gallagher is unnatural and also is best running long distances.

To be fair, I dont think that Mowbray has tried to make him into a proper number 9 in that mould either. To be honest, hes just a very limited player, he definitely could improve on his hold up etc but he will never thrive at that side of his game. He is more powerful and quicker than Graham ever was but Graham had an excellent football brain and was technically better.

You could probably teach Gallagher to an extent but to try and directly replicate Grahams style would never work. Im not sure simply getting one former player to directly train another to do a similar job would work in general but especially one with a different skillset.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

iv`e been a defender of gallagher and been critical of mowbrays strange use of him,but last night he was shocking and it`s kind of changed my opinion,he`s not good enough,can`t hold the ball up, and he does`nt at all play his size,no matter how much coaching you give him,he is`nt going to get any better at his age,maybe a new manager next season will suss him out and move him on

Yea very much my thinking too, last night he used up the last of his 9 lives 

1 hour ago, tugayislegend said:

Get him to run around a lot, then give him a contract extension.

2 hours ago, tugayislegend said:

Graham and Gallagher trained and played together at Rovers for a few seasons ...... that was when Gallagher should have been watching and learning how to do it.

Gallagher hasn't learnt a thing. It's far too late now

24 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Graham and Gallagher trained and played together at Rovers for a few seasons ...... that was when Gallagher should have been watching and learning how to do it.

Gallagher hasn't learnt a thing. It's far too late now

Truly belive Gallagher is a worse player today than when he first arrived at Rovers and i think TM has coached him into a Jason Lowe.

Watch these highlights from 5 years ago, you will see a different player:

Still not too late. He needs confidence, better coaching. He needs to be selfish, greedy, shoot more, demand to take penalties, demand the ball off his team mates. Thats just my opinion.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, tugayislegend said:

Truly belive Gallagher is a worse player today than when he first arrived at Rovers and i think TM has coached him into a Jason Lowe.

Still not too late. He needs confidence, better coaching. He needs to be selfish, greedy, shoot more, demand to take penalties, demand the ball off his team mates. Thats just my opinion.

What he needs, is to be in the box more.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tugayislegend said:

i sincerely hope it`s a case of new manager,improved  player,i doubt it but you never know

32 minutes ago, tugayislegend said:

You could make a video making anyone look good. I think people get nostalgic about his loan spell here for no good reason, he was bang average at best. The team was an attackers dream, it was too gung ho under Coyle hence why we conceded 3 every week and his goal return was still 1 in 4. Mowbray has signed 3 forwards for over one million, 2 have been successes but Gallagher was a strange buy especially considering that we knew how average he was, a Mowbray mistake.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

Gallagher doesn't have basic footballing skills certainly not at Championship level. You can't coach this stuff; it's either there or its not. And in his case it is not. How we paid £5M for him and recently gave him a contract extension is beyond me. In his first spell at Rovers he wasn't impressive and isn't now. I feel embarrassed watching him much of the time. His touch is awful, he bottles out of tackles, given his height he is woeful at winning headers and his positional sense is non existent. There will be those who disagree with this analysis but I can't find an ounce of positivity about him

• Like 3

He has attributes but we don't really use them, never have that's why he looks a shadow of the guy he was years ago. How many teams play with a guy his size in that position ?

It isn't pioneering it's just a waste of a lad who should be causing problems in the box with his physical size. 

Yea I seem to remember him being a bit better than Iv seen lately. I maybe gave him more time as I remember watching him in the youth cup and he scored that goal in the YouTube video against us, absolute peach of a goal and I thought he was going to be some player. Il hold my hands up, he will never be the player I thought he was going to be 

1 hour ago, tugayislegend said:

Forgotten what it's like .....a player in blue and white halves scoring goals

He looked a much more confident player when he was younger and certainly hasn't "trained on" in racing parlance. I'm sure being stuck on the right wing hasn't helped but at his age he should now be the finished article, leading from the front and banging in the goals

4 hours ago, tugayislegend said:

After 3 years of M, V & L trying to make him into something he's not and now at age 26 he's probably in need of therapy more than coaching.

They have systematically ruined whatever potential he had as a footballer BUT being a 'decent' chap our Manager has protected his livelihood for a few years more with an undeserved contact renewal.

• Backroom

Damning with faint praise I know but at least Gallagher won a few headers, got stuck in and won a couple of free kicks in decent positions - Giles did nothing apart from get in a decent position, remember he has no right foot, cut back and then lose it.

The folly of Mowbray playing him on the right!

He was far from his best yesterday again and frustrates but I still think there’s a player in Gally and he comes in for more than his share of the blame at times, real shame his goal at weekend was chalked off.

• Like 1

I think with so many players it is really hard to know when played out of position. Personally I think performing at his best Gally would be an average championship centre forward, a decent plan B. However he clearly isn't performing at his best or going to do so when stuck out on the wing. 

Reminds me of Buckley a bit in that his best form came for us in a settled midfield position. Or Rothwell in a midfield 3. It's not rocket science, find positions that work for your players and they should perform to a decent level. If they can't with that or don't suit the formation then get rid. As it is he is being set up to fail and hasn't the ability to compensate for this. 

12 hours ago, tugayislegend said:

Or it's like I've said all along. He just needs a haircut.

2 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Have nit seen a review of any kind in Vale's cameo.  How did the young lad do?

Wasn’t given long enough. By the time he came on Millwall had a back 7. Very uneventful cameo, but not the lads fault.

• Like 2

Thought this was kinda funny. The Athletic thought Millwall's performance was worthy of an article as it was the only time in the past 5 years that a Championship side had ended a game with zero xG (and it's happened only twice in the Premier League).

https://theathletic.com/3173258/2022/03/10/explained-millwalls-0-0-xg/ (might be paywalled for you)

image.png.78bd341a1462de2fcd5725b92fce53f1.png

:(

Edited by RoverCanada