BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray's Reign...& is he off to Sunderland ?

7 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Me too. I suppose I'm feeling a lot of trepidation of who might come next, and I'm suddenly much more conscious than you can be looking downwards as well as upwards. Treading water in the Championship isn't good enough for Blackburn Rovers, but we were probably saying the same under Bowyer until a lot worse came round the corner!

Whilst Mowbray has been floating at the top of the tank for a few years our terrible owners and their terrible track record of managers definitely warrants trepidation. Ultimately we can’t progress as a football club with them here.

I was happy when bowyer was sacked as he wasn’t good enough and his “we gave it a right good go” was irritating but as you say a lot worse came. I think it speaks volumes about the Venkys 12 years that considering bowyer followed Kean and the carnage left in the wake, 2 top 10 finishes he was probably their best appointment. 

Whilst I want Mowbray gone I can't help but feel more anger and disdain for these wretched owners for the way he has been treated. I think he has seen the writing on the wall and done this interview to at least go with some dignity and not give them the satisfaction of just letting his deal run down with no idea of what was happening. For it to be a few months before his contract ends and no indication of what is happening is another damning indictment on the people we have running our club. Heaven help his successor.

FOV.

• Like 6

On the whole TM has done a good job here and will be remembered as being a successful manager during his spell as Rovers manager. 

I do have sympathy that he's been shown a complete lack of respect by the owners by not even telling him they have no plans to renew his contract, however he's benefitted tremendously from Venkys being inept owners. He's pretty much had free reign at the club do appoint who he wanted at boardroom level and had a huge amount of control at the club. There's no way he would have survived some of the atrocious runs of form if we had owners who cared/had an ounce of football knowledge. 

I will be pleased to see him go as I think he's a very average championship manager. I do, however, think he's left the club in a fairly healthy position and it will be a role that many managers will be interested in. Farke or Dyche would be excellent appointments but I expect a promotion from within or someone like Alex Neill. 

3 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Nooooo!

Don't tell me he lives locally!

Ewood is a very conveniently on his doorstep. He could be very influential at Rovers, judging by his recent Tweets. I’m not entitled, but I am free to comment.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Ah, more hints and innuendo! I think you should just speak directly to the person you have in mind...

I've already asked on a number of occasions Darrenrover to give the big reveal. He has chosen not to, but I will continue to ask.

I'm never one to shy away, I'm in the blues bar every match day, so not difficult to find. I also use my own name to post on threads like this.

I also dont need an army to come to my rescue when I cannot clearly speak for myself.

Hope that clarifies the matter?

Edited by glen9mullan
  • Like 3

• Backroom

Honestly just hope we get a great win on Saturday and part ways on great terms, we are likely to fall short this season and had a great chance but would prefer we part on good terms here 

• Like 3

Mowbray should be laughing all the way to the bank. The lack of communication has allowed him to get away with 2 wins in 17, a 7v0 home defeat and the absolute shit show that is the second half of this season. He’s benefitted from the shite they dish out to us supporters and now he’s grumbling when it happens to him.

Welcome to the party Tony

• Like 9

Think Mowbray on a whole has done a good job. Not great, but better than average. 5 years is a decent run, he survived a couple of really poor spells. But also deserves credits for this season on a whole. While the latter part has been a big let down, still being in a play-off race with two games two go is far better then expected when starting the season.  He's managed to get a young group of players playing for each other.

While it might be time for a new pair of hands, the handling from the club is awful. He's a honest and honourable bloke that deserves to be told, not like this. Ridicoulous.

They have a very bad track record, so I fear for the next appointment. It's far easier to find someone worse, than better.. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

On the whole TM has done a good job here and will be remembered as being a successful manager during his spell as Rovers manager. 

I do have sympathy that he's been shown a complete lack of respect by the owners by not even telling him they have no plans to renew his contract, however he's benefitted tremendously from Venkys being inept owners. He's pretty much had free reign at the club do appoint who he wanted at boardroom level and had a huge amount of control at the club. There's no way he would have survived some of the atrocious runs of form if we had owners who cared/had an ounce of football knowledge. 

I will be pleased to see him go as I think he's a very average championship manager. I do, however, think he's left the club in a fairly healthy position and it will be a role that many managers will be interested in. Farke or Dyche would be excellent appointments but I expect a promotion from within or someone like Alex Neill. 

I’m not sure the club is in a healthy position to be honest. A threadbare squad and several more players are out of contract. We’re in £220 million debt about £100 million more than in 2017. Fanbase still dwindling. Ground  dilapidated. Not all Mowbray’s fault by any means but in my opinion the club has been on a downwards spiral since the Venkys arrived and still are. 

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

I've already asked on a number of occasions Darrenrover to give the big reveal. He has chosen not to, but I will continue to ask.

I'm never one to shy away, I'm in the blues bar every match day, so not difficult to find. I also use my own name to post on threads like this.

I also dont need an army to come to my rescue when I cannot clearly speak for myself.

Hope that clarifies the matter?

Army coming to your rescue....in the Blues Bar? Give my regards to Napoleon, when you see him....

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

It's not baseless. You just don't agree with it. His demeanour at the side of the pitch and in press conferences has been extremely poor on numerous occasions and has made him look like he doesn't give a shit. You think that doesn't prove he has poor application and commitment, but it's certainly fair to question it on that basis.

I think he has been (passive) aggressive on occasions...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Army coming to your rescue....in the Blues Bar? Give my regards to Napoleon, when you see him....

I will wait for the engine, not the broken spark plug.

However If you want an adult conversation i will extend that in person discussion with you, or again request that the masterplan is shared openly, that the objectives are shared, shouldnt be a problem? 

14 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I heard about this supposed ‘Masterplan’ last March. I don’t know what or who it involves but I think Mercer or Rev had some insight too? 

There was quite a bit of excitment at Ewood when the email arrived from Venkys HQ . Apparently it was a masterplan with some big names, meticulously planned with eye watering amounts of money to be spent

Unfortunately the excitment died down when people realised Big B had sent his New Years eve party details though by mistake

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, matt83 said:

I’m not sure the club is in a healthy position to be honest. A threadbare squad and several more players are out of contract. We’re in £220 million debt about £100 million more than in 2017. Fanbase still dwindling. Ground  dilapidated. Not all Mowbray’s fault by any means but in my opinion the club has been on a downwards spiral since the Venkys arrived and still are. 

i don`t think many clubs are in a great financial situation,unless you have a mega billionaire owner and are cheating the ffp rules

I wouldn't be too sure that he's definitely made his mind up to leave, or that he actually will leave.

I listened to the interview. The thought that came to my mind was that he's making it out that he is going to leave, but is perhaps doing so in the hope that Venky's will come crawling back to him.

The fact that he wouldn't actually say he is leaving is telling. He's keeping his cards close to his chest IMO.

Edited by Wheelton Blue
  • Like 5

I'm still not convinced he's leaving.

The interview was contradictory in many ways and he did state that 'it looks like I'm leaving' due to lack of communication. 

He has a contract until the end of June and Venky's are probably expecting him to pop in for a visit before then.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Pretty close to my own thoughts. I think we really can't be ignoring the seriousness of the drops in form that we've suffered, especially this season, but big picture wise I think your summary is a good one. 

I think he needs to be replaced, but i) it should've been handled more professionally and that's a real worry in itself, and ii) I'm pessimistic that we'll get someone better. Although we'll soon find out. 

A bit optimistic to say "soon". Venkys probably won't have a replacement before the players return for pre-season. That's the way they do things. 

In theory of course we should be in a brilliant position this summer, even if we miss out

- Stable ownership situation with people who pick up the tab every year of 8 figure losses

- Wage bill slashed right back last summer with more to come this

- FFP compliant having sold assets 

- Established the Championship, look like narrowly missing the play-offs

- 'Billionaire' owners who are keen to invest, prevented from doing so only be the FFP cycle which apparently re-sets

- Brilliant squad of young players that Mowbray has waxed lyrical about this season

- Productive academy.

Not many clubs in this league who has all the above and doesn't have to cut costs, sell players, wait for things to happen, adjust to a new division, deadwood to get rid of etc.

The be all and end all of our summer should be to recruit a better management team and then give them backing in the transfer market. Even that should be straightforward having been aware of Mowbray's contract situation for months and having had plenty of time to line things up if he's leaving. 

Then I woke up.

• Like 9