BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

51 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

The big question for me if I were a manager interviewing for the Rovers job would be; what on earth are they going to ask me second time round, that they couldn't have asked me initially. It's amateur hour. I'm out. 

Couldn't agree more.

If you're a genuinely top candidate and likely to be in demand the first interview screams "We've called you in because we can't decide if you're any better than (say) Duncan Ferguson or Michael Carrick."

The second interview screams "You didn't impress us enough first time round for us to offer you the job" and like you say you'd be forgiven for wondering why anything that needed to be asked couldn't have been asked first time round.

• Like 3

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Why have you posted Steve Kean's name on a contract? What are you hinting at? Coming back as head coach?

Yep, it appears that Kean is the man. This is the leftfield appointment we were all dreading as the Venky's believe he has matured since leaving.

The Sport's leading Championship correspondent Bertie O'llocks is breaking it tomorrow.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Shame on the reporters alluding to these mythical talks without providing anything whatsoever to back it up.

What could they provide to back it up? CCTV footage?

8 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Ferguson isn't being considered according to most reports. I can believe Woodgate is, though.

I've got a few hopes:

1. Farke isn't as close to a deal in Germany as we think, and he's still in the running.
  2. Carvalhal's supposed desire to manager in England is stronger than his desire for money in the UAE.
  3. There are two or three names not yet mentioned that will be pleasant surprises for us. Maybe Wagner, Critchley, etc. Somebody who hasn't had a serious mention as a candidate by the media, yet.

Those are the only positive thoughts I can cling on to.

This... I'd also add Bilic' to point 3 too. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Yep, it appears that Kean is the man. This is the leftfield appointment we were all dreading as the Venky's believe he has matured since leaving.

The Sport's leading Championship correspondent Bertie O'llocks is breaking it tomorrow.

It can only be considered as overdue. Best win ratio we've had in the Championship. Got the fans really animated. Who needs Carvalhal with the Portuguese connections Kean had?

15 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

What could they provide to back it up? CCTV footage?

Er, how about talks were held at 'insert place' between 'insert Rovers official' and 'insert said manager'...

Might add a bit of weight to it but what are they actually going off ?  Iv'e not even seen the legendary football term 'a club spokesman said'

But yeah lets ask for CCTV evidence.

1 hour ago, martonrover said:

Glad it’s not just me who thinks so! To me, it illustrates that between them, Venkys, Waggott and Pasha don’t have a clue what a DOF / Head Coach structure actually is.

It’s painful and embarrassing  to watch this unfold.

It suggests to me that someone wants to go down the D of F / Sporting Director route, but that is more of a medium term aspiration than a firm plan that is being followed.

It is probably an appointment that is awaiting ratification from India, and until they agree to go with such a structure instead we will just have to focus efforts on getting the manager in, which is a position they will already be well familiar with. 

It just makes no sense in any way for the club to spend weeks, even months, interviewing all and sundry only to then bring in a director who might not like or want the manager or vice versa. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Wouldn’t want any of those three. Dunny, in particular, would have us relegated to non league level in record time.

I'm just confused as to who then people expect will be managing us, when all the reports have signalled that even half-decent managers have distanced themselves from us.. You'd rather we get relegated with Dunny, or get relegated with some random League 1 bottom of the barrel journeyman or whoever else is left that we are interviewing?

If we are actually going to be getting a high quality manager despite all these reports, happy days. If not...

4 hours ago, Mr. E said:

If we are out of decent options, and it sure sounds like we are, I would give it to a former player, no matter how bad they've done. Dunn or Tugay. Friedel? I understand the risks. But I just desperately miss having someone in leadership that cares about the club. 

Dunn's failed in every job he's had since leaving Ewood. Sure he's blue and white through and through but that's not enough.

The other 2 we can't rate because we don't know but both would be a gamble and that's not what we need right now.

Any manager will care about the club once they are appointed.

If you snooze you lose...

Don't know why such a cumbersome approach, the best interview for any likely manager is their recent track record of results and performances!?

Chose your target, get them in for a whites of the eyes chat, quickly, to ensure you can work together and pull the trigger.

The chat is also an opportunity for you to sell yourself.. and perhaps that's where we have fallen down.. 

Anyway I will be fuming if we end up with a Tony clone (someone from the scrap heap).. can we get a refund on season tickets?! 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, bazza said:

Get your application in. You'll probably be interviewed in early July.

Just put mine in, didn't want to be too obvious so went under the name of Harry Ian Callibré. Fits with the foreign approach and yeah, I know.....I'll get my coat!

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Er, how about talks were held at 'insert place' between 'insert Rovers official' and 'insert said manager'...

Might add a bit of weight to it but what are they actually going off ?  Iv'e not even seen the legendary football term 'a club spokesman said'

But yeah lets ask for CCTV evidence.

Wouldn't really 'back it up'. Those details can be fabricated with the same ease as you allude that the reports that have come out may have been. Anybody could make up those details. Either you trust what the reporters are saying, or you don't. There's not much point asking them to back it up.

On 30/05/2022 at 18:37, RevidgeBlue said:

You're obviously trying to belittle the efforts of various people who have taken the trouble to contact the Club to discuss matters here and I think you're being extremely unfair.

There's a genuine will and desire on all sides to edge the Club in the right direction and whilst I personally don't thing think things are motoring on at the pace 1864 would have you believe, everyone is acting in good faith and  it may just be that the discussions and advice are permeating through the consciousness of one or two people in authority.

I'd have to reiterate again, Mowbray gone, Venus gone, Park gone (probably) - if there's a really good managerial appointment along the lines of Farke and he's allowed to bring in his own staff, I'd regard that as massive progress personally.

I think we all we see that as massive progress Rev. well there will be some not.

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

So that leaves Big Dunc or Woodgate

Flip that coin.

Woodgate would be an absolute disgrace of a choice and would have gormless waggots name all over it, Ferguson would be a very very poor choice  and a huge unnecessary risk but I'd at least be able to get behind him as a man initially and hope for the best! But Woodgate!!! that would truly be a Keanesque disaster in the making.

Hoping Farke is still in the running, yes I'm sure he'd love a gig at a top german club and you can't blame him for throwing his name in the hat trying...  but will they actually want him!?

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

Someone on here randomly mentioned Jon Dahl Tomassons name on here recently and that caused me to google up on him (having not even heard his name in yonks!) but I was pleasantly surprised by what I could see and if he was in the running I think there could be a lot of potential there for him to do well as a manager here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

If you snooze you lose...

Don't know why such a cumbersome approach, the best interview for any likely manager is their recent track record of results and performances!?

Chose your target, get them in for a whites of the eyes chat, quickly, to ensure you can work together and pull the trigger.

The chat is also an opportunity for you to sell yourself.. and perhaps that's where we have fallen down.. 

Anyway I will be fuming if we end up with a Tony clone (someone from the scrap heap).. can we get a refund on season tickets?! 

The best time to do an interview is when the underperforming manager is still at the helm.  🤔

5 hours ago, Upside Down said:

More like we're on the way home, redecorating the back of the taxi with our stomach contents. 

Or waking up with a massive hangover and shit the bed.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Tom said:

a shortlist increasing would hint at either a lack of suitable candidates or the people running the selection process not knowing what they are doing….

Ah but don't forget to factor this in.....  

Candidate walks in for their interview to be met by Waggott sat there. Looking like he's about to try and sell someone a 13 year old Ford Fiesta. His tie is badly fastened as the collar of his ill fitting shirt strains under severe pressure. The room smells a bit funny, he's clearly been sat there farting out last nights chicken jalfrezi for the past hour. He reaches out with a swear riddled palm to shake said candidates hand. "Hi I'm Steve pleased to meet you, I take care of the day to day running of the club". Steve asks a handful of questions he's pulled off Google, none really relating to being a football manager. Then as the interview is getting wrapped up he asks the candidate do they have any questions to ask him about the role. Imagine the absolute guff that follows!

Candidate at this point thinks "fuck that".

End result is we end up with someone a bit desperate. They're either not qualified for the role as they've never managed before, or they've been out of work for a while and getting bored of the golf course.

That in a nutshell is exactly the situation we're in if you ask me, I'd love to be wrong but.....

• Like 5