BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

I want him to succeed and he came across well at the beginning and I'm sure promotion was on his agenda.  But I'm pretty sure scumbags have whispered in his ear that promotion isn't that important and it's about making profits on players.  Now he's dialled down expectations and probably has his feet up

32 minutes ago, roverandout said:

I want him to succeed and he came across well at the beginning and I'm sure promotion was on his agenda.  But I'm pretty sure scumbags have whispered in his ear that promotion isn't that important and it's about making profits on players.  Now he's dialled down expectations and probably has his feet up

I think you’re right. Venkys have seen the 200M on offer for promotion to the Premier League and instead prioritised selling Ash Phillips for 15M in 2 years.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

If you were Venkys would you back him with hard Cash in January or sack him?....or would you not give a flying fook as I fear will happen again and again and again.

Why on earth would an owner want to sack a manager who has us in third place, and comfortably the best of the clubs not in receipt of parachute payments ?

12 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

we are 3rd in the league. Is that being out of his depth? 

I don't understand why fans aren't very happy with our league position when you consider the amount of playing staff changes and backroom staff changes that have happened in the last 6 months. Being 3rd now is well ahead where I thought we would be

Look at last week game at Norwich compare to PNE game. Today we should have got a draw hadn't Travis done what he done

Taking those 2 games doesn't show any gradual improvement, especially as it was followed up with another woeful performance against Sunderland. 

It's just the same as it has been all season, good wins followed by dreadful performances.

As we're now at 4 losses in 5 , it suggests we are gradually getting worse.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Meaningless, as we know from the Mowbray years. On current form the notion of us finishing in the playoffs under this manager is fanciful 

I think your track record in the predictions business is most kindly described as "mixed". Before the Norwich game you were talking about a 5 or 6 goal drubbing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rigger said:

So do you think that given our current form, we will keep our league position ? 

I'm confident we will be one of the best teams without parachute payments. The Championship is now really 2 divisions, one for the small number of clubs with parachute payments, and one for the others who are attempting to compete at a significant disadvantage. We are the only one of the top 5 clubs in the league who do not have parachute payments and I think those who talk of firing the manager and replacing him with this mysterious  unnamed "someone else" are singing loony tunes.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I'm confident we will be one of the best teams without parachute payments. The Championship is now really 2 divisions, one for the small number of clubs with parachute payments, and one for the others who are attempting to compete at a significant disadvantage. We are the only one of the top 5 clubs in the league who do not have parachute payments and I think those who talk of firing the manager and replacing him with this mysterious  unnamed "someone else" are singing loony tunes.

I don't think many people want to get rid of JDT. What I think most people want, is for JDT to get the best out of the players he has got. At the moment he is not doing that. For me being, ONE of the best teams who don't get parachute payments, is not a high enough target. For me to start buying tickets regularly again, we will need to finish in the play-offs. If we don't finish in the play-offs I won't be buying a season ticket next season. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, rigger said:

I don't think many people want to get rid of JDT. What I think most people want, is for JDT to get the best out of the players he has got. At the moment he is not doing that. For me being, ONE of the best teams who don't get parachute payments, is not a high enough target. For me to start buying tickets regularly again, we will need to finish in the play-offs. If we don't finish in the play-offs I won't be buying a season ticket next season. 

It was intended more as a prediction than as a target. Given that the non-parachute payment clubs will have thin squads injuries will likely play a pretty big part in who actually comes out top.

35 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I think your track record in the predictions business is most kindly described as "mixed". Before the Norwich game you were talking about a 5 or 6 goal drubbing.

That’s the beauty of football - winning against the odds. And on our form it was a big surprise. 

Batting away criticism of the club and manager by constantly quoting our league position doesn’t wash. You’ll have to do better than that because it’s obvious as it stands we’re heading for a fall

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Posters need to remember, JDT was 5th choice after some decent candidates walked away, obviously due to lack of funds. 

You have to be exceptional at this level to gain promotion with no funds, a hungry Neil Warnock 10yrs ago for example, otherwise you’re mid table perennials and that is just what we are.

Edited by Gav

With that logic if we take out the parachute payment recipients from the equation we should comfortably be the top of the next pack. The likes of Luton, Millwall or Preston don’t have the level of owner subsidies we do. Who else has a category one academy in this division? Therefore a playoff spot should not be out of the equation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

What do you get for winning the no parachute payment trophy?

• Like 6

I think JDT will be going through the process of 'Venkification' - the realisation and acceptance of how these clowns operate and the gradual destruction to ambition and excitement that comes from it.

He probably came into this club as an outsider very excited about the 'project'. A good club, decent season last year, good academy, and most importantly a sniff of getting to the PL. 

Unfortunately after a few months working here it will become clear that there is no genuine plan or indeed desire to improve or advance the club. Just a collection of people on easy street collecting their wages and happy to bullshit their way through the years whilst the club goes nowhere. Mowbray was one of them, I had hoped his welcome exit would see a significant change. I still hope that between them JDT and Broughton have the ambition and drive to not be held back by the rest of them but it can't be easy. I am worried that we are hearing more and more Waggott/Mowbray speak these days about how massive the opposition are and how we are little old Rovers.

Music to the ears of the deadweights around the place but not what I want to hear.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Upside Down said:

As far as I'm concerned if the aim isn't promotion then you should just fuck off somewhere else.

If the club has no desire to gain promotion then they may as well close the place down. What is the point?

It’s a vanity project for these owners, they want to be seen as legitimate, on an international scale and owning a football club that provides players to the biggest teams in the world is the Venky dream.

Promotion isn’t in the business plan.

• Like 1

This parachute payment nonsense is just a layer mash potato brain has added in now that it’s clear performances are dire to back up his all out opinion. 
I think there are 5 clubs in receipt of parachute payments (Burnley, Sheff Utd, Watford, Norwich, West Brom), with Huddersfield receiving their final payment too if we include them. 

Given our Cat 1 academy, stability in this league, not having to overhaul overpaid players (Stoke, Swansea etc.), owners putting money in to keep us afloat (see Derby/Coventry) and fairly level spending with non-pp clubs over the years (most of the league has a better net spend than us over ~4 years), we should accept nothing less than 7th place at a push, and certainly not seeing anyone like Sunderland, Coventry, Luton, Millwall, QPR, Boro, PNE finish above us by your rules.

That gap is currently 4 points, so when it inevitably happens in the next few weeks I look forward to you humbly admitting that the football is terrible, a journey is not needed in this league, and your parachute payments spiel has absolutely no relation to why we performed so awful against Preston or Reading or Luton.

Edited by superniko
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I think JDT will be going through the process of 'Venkification' - the realisation and acceptance of how these clowns operate and the gradual destruction to ambition and excitement that comes from it.

He probably came into this club as an outsider very excited about the 'project'. A good club, decent season last year, good academy, and most importantly a sniff of getting to the PL. 

Unfortunately after a few months working here it will become clear that there is no genuine plan or indeed desire to improve or advance the club. Just a collection of people on easy street collecting their wages and happy to bullshit their way through the years whilst the club goes nowhere. Mowbray was one of them, I had hoped his welcome exit would see a significant change. I still hope that between them JDT and Broughton have the ambition and drive to not be held back by the rest of them but it can't be easy. I am worried that we are hearing more and more Waggott/Mowbray speak these days about how massive the opposition are and how we are little old Rovers.

Music to the ears of the deadweights around the place but not what I want to hear.

Basically what I wrote but with more detail 

• Moderation Lead

Playing with Hirst is like playing with ten men, he’s had four months now and he’s still absolutely useless. Send him back.

All this talk of a ‘project’ and just batting away another limp performance where we have loads of the ball, but never really do anything with it bar the goal, it’s awful.

If we aren’t even bothered about getting promotion, but we are more bothered about a ‘project’ or adding value to players, you start to wonder, what’s the point?

• Like 2