BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

2 hours ago, sharpysharps86 said:

The inability to earn points from losing positions always stuck out like a sore thumb to me. There's no doubt that JDT has potential to be a top head coach somewhere, but you could pretty much guarantee that we'd lose a game if we conceded first under him.

That was happened way before JDT walked through the door. Having said that he made no impression that particular problem.

• Backroom

It really is pathetic how glacially things move at Ewood - except outgoing transfers, oddly enough. Those seem to go through without a problem.

We've probably been negotiating with Eustace since he left Birmingham but have only just got around to sorting the contracts out. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I think he's going to go on to have a very successful career.

He clearly needs to be less stubborn and, quite frankly, I think his QPR team selection was him daring the board to sack him. 

He has potential but he never ever seemed to learn lessons. And I think for the past 3 or 4 months he hasn't been picking the team in the best interests of Blackburn Rovers, it has been more about making cheap points as you have alluded to in your post. That makes him a self-centred cunt as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 4

Just now, DE. said:

It really is pathetic how glacially things move at Ewood - except outgoing transfers, oddly enough. Those seem to go through without a problem.

We've probably been negotiating with Eustace since he left Birmingham but have only just got around to sorting the contracts out. 

he`s probably taken one look at the mess the club is  in and turned the job down,jdt will be reinstated at 5pm today

17 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I know what the bigger picture (and problem) is Gav, but that doesn't make JDT a 'very good manager'. Maybe his cheeky smile has you hoodwinked. 

His cheeky smile seems to have lingered longer with you than it has with me 😁

We'll see how this ends up.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Neal said:

Best game I've watched so far this season was Everton v Brighton 1-1. The contrast in styles was great to watch, Brighton trying to play total football and Everton playing long low, long high, cross field, through midfield, out front the back... Brighton didn't know what to do and it was a perfect display from Dyche to the rest of us that there are other ways and methods to play in the modern game. I think this Guardiola way has generally made some of these modern managers a bit lazier in their approach that if their players don't win or perform that it's down to the fact that they don't have the ability to do it... Rather than getting the best out of what they have and playing to their strengths and setting them up in a way the opposition won't like. Which requires more time, studying and planning. Total football is great to watch when you win but murdering teams and being comfortably beaten is not fun to watch.

Back when I had to clear dinosaur shit off the pitch before we could kick off the tactical mantra was - weigh up the skill set of your players, see what they are good at individually and collectively. Then design your pattern of play around that. Don’t come in with a preordained way of playing and shoehorn the players into it.

I suspect JDT made that mistake, ultimately lost the goodwill of the players, and has paid the price for it.

• Like 5

We did lose a lot of players in summer, but is it as bad as people make out?

Kaminski - preferred Pears

Diaz - fair enough, big miss for us

Dack - didn't really fancy him

Morton - a godsend as it meant we picked Wharton 

Ayala - permanently injured

The complete lack of striker has been a real pain point, but the regression has been absolutely alarming. And whilst JDT hasn't been backed, didn't we spend nigh on £4m for Szmodics and Hyam combined? Absolutely great buys for the money but a decent fighting fund compared to anything since 2019 (which is a comment in itself). So whilst he didn't get to blow £6m on Gally, it was actually the most we had spent in a summer for 3 years. 

It possibly underlines how good a job he did last year after losing Nyambe, Rothwell and Lenihan as well, but I think some of the talk about losing players has ignored the fact it's been par for the course with these idiot owners for years now. I am Mowbray's fiercest critic but he didn't have it that easy himself either - he was just less good at communicating it and keeping fans updated. 

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

There's no way we could offer Allardyce what he would want in terms of financially, backroom, etc. Total non starter.

You still pick up the phone just in case. 

1 hour ago, CambridgeRover said:

Who on earth had us as favourites against premier league forest?  Reaching here

Always curious what a natural game means, what is natural and unnatural in football? By natural do you mean play to your strengths or do you mean keep it simple? 

Forest were struggling at the time.

• Like 1

This argument about JDT and where he has left us seems odd to me. It cannot be disputed that we are in a perilous position. But how far is he responsible is the moot point?

I get the ‘we should adapt’ line, be more pragmatic but not sure how far we could have done that with the players we have. We are not Everton –nowhere near the calibre of player. Lump it in the channels? Be more physical (who exactly?) (Incidentally, on Everton –I think they are much more than just a lump it forward team. They can play as well. And I like Dyche).

I will accept perhaps a couple of things. Travis could have been used with Tronstad. We could have played less from the back (not entirely). We could try to have got the ball forward more quickly. We could have cut out short corners earlier. That may have garnered a few more points and perhaps kept the players onside more.

But really, as other have said the writing was on the wall last summer when the Rao’s cut the budget. And since then, JDT has had to face a plethora of stupid decisions (not to mention being lied to), the loss of players, no quality incoming and injuries to what is already a weak and young squad with several players knowing they are only on loan. The squad is simply not good enough. JDT is a smart bloke and his demeanour has shown increasing bemusement at the nonsense that surrounded him. There is only so much shit you can take before you just start to laugh. And remember his brief was to play attractive football, develop youngsters to sell on. If you want big money to sell a player to a top club then they MUST be able to play out from the back and short stuff. It’s a coaching blueprint. You can see every team down to the lowest level doing it.

If his record is so dire, why didn’t the Rao’s sack him? I don’t think they would have at least until the end of the season. Obviously, it would have cost them. So we have an organised shit show (presumably at the hand of SWAG) which forces the issue.

Let us see how the new person does. He will have some advantages. New broom, players might become more upbeat. Players returning from injury. So if he goes on a winning streak, I think that it will be more down to those things –particularly just a change of voice in the dressing room.

FWIW, I think we will have stayed up with JDT but obviously things have gone past the point of no return.

Let’s see how the new person copes when budget is cut by 20-25% next year.

One thing that will be highly irritating, as other have pointed out will be the Rao’s/SWAG’s new narrative. We acted swiftly in appointing a new manager to stop the rot, we have stayed up, the person responsible for the internal admin error has been dealt with, we are still working on the MacGuire deal, we look forward to continuing to support the team and the town…..yada yada…

Edited by aletheia
  • Like 3

• Backroom

We hired an inexperienced manager for a specific 'project' - his attributes at this point in his development as a coach seemed to match what we needed. 

The owners then change the project entirely, slash all promised budgets and the club becomes a chaotic mess. Inexperienced manager then struggles to stabilise the situation as things fall apart. Shocked Pikachu face.

If you hire someone lacking experience to do a specific type of job, you can't be surprised when you change all the parameters and everything goes pear-shaped. JDT knew this wouldn't work for him and offered to resign. Our idiot owners refused to let him leave. As always they got it wrong. 

• Like 4